“4* ten years ago maybe...”

Insotel Cala Mandia Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Porto Cristo
“4* ten years ago maybe...”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I completed my booking with travel republic for a 9 night stay one month before travelling. 36hrs before we were due to leave I received an email from travel republic saying there would be a charge to my holiday: I would have to pay for myself, my wife and my son to use the splash park. The total cost of this would be €210! Already alarm bells were ringing. I called and complained to TR and they told me to email customer services who would get back to me in 14 days! I asked if it was possible to cancel as we booked for our son and the splash park (included at time of booking) was the main reason why. I was told the hotel had changed its policy and I'd still have to pay full price if cancelled due to short notice to which I retorted I'd only found out 25min ago that my holiday was changed by THEM.
Anyway... Arrived at hotel after 2hr transfer (travel republic had advertised 50min). Asked reception staff about block C as I'd upgraded to a superior apartment all inclusive gold (and as well as all other amenities I hoped for some English tv channels as son in bed by 8pm and possibly some kids tv for him).
The rude receptionist said I hadn't paid the extra and I said that I had. She then told me I was lucky as I should have been in block D as this is what TR booked for me but that this block is closed at present. Too tired to argue we eventually found our way to our apartment heaving our bags along.
In my opinion 2* at best. So I went straight to reception and said I'd pay to upgrade and was told this would be no problem if I would pay €900 (€100 per night). I pointed out that on their website the difference between A and C was around €160 ( a difference I thought I'd paid already). I asked to see the manager. I'm still waiting.
Now the apartment: AirCon not working in living area after 7 days still on going; water over floor 3 nights running which I cleaned myself and was told that it was the fridge defrosting and it's been dry last 2 nights so fingers crossed; last night called reception to report shower falling off wall whilst in use and was laughed at but maintenance sent and said screws loose. On plus side apartment is good size but very dated and just too much to mention it all. But there is no way this is a 4* property. Maybe 10 years ago.
I asked for a bottle of water for the room and was told to go to the shop and buy one!
No bottled drinking water in rooms, chipped crockery in restaurant and room, no pool/beach towels, no sundries in aptmnt, no help with luggage, no appearance of manager when requested...
4* indeed! My advice - don't go.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Alanonhol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Burntisland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Booked 9 nights for end Sept/beg. Oct through Travel Republic and requested block C. Arrived at main reception only to be told by very rude staff that we were in block D and we could not be changed as the hotel was full. Told we could not use the facilities at block C and we would have to pay 180 euros based on 1 week to use the water park but could use the facilities at Block A. On arrival at Block D which is out of the way - down the bottom of a hill (luckily we had hired a car) it was very basic more like 2/3 star although the apartment itself was clean and adequate for the purpose. An information sheet stated that we had to have our breakfast at block D but all other meals at block A. As we arrived at 2pm, lunch and evening dinner was our first meals and found the food there to be of good quality, however breakfast next day in block D was disgusting.The food was stone cold, lack of bacon and not even a toaster was to be seen (I was horrified we always book 4 star - no less). We continued to put up with the breakfast situation but were sorely tempted to hide the white wrist bands and go up to block A (it was so busy surely they wouldn't notice).As I said the food was good but we noticed a sign displayed at the main restaurant saying that there was another restaurant at block C called the Surf Grill which could be booked at reception the day before your visit so we thought we would try it. That is when we realised that we really were being treated like second class citizens as when asked for our room number the rude receptionist said 'no you cannot not with that room number' i.e cell block D prisoners no priviledges allowed! On our 6th day in cell block D a notice went up (and so did the flags so to speak!) to say that the managemant were closing cell block D and that we would be relocated in block B. This was like night and day as block B (run by an Italien holiday company)certainly was 4 star and we then got our 4 star breakfasts in block A which were lovely ,warm, plenty of bacon and yes it has toasters! To sum up we found all staff polite except for the rude reception staff and they are your first point of contact therefore your first impressions are disappointing.Restaurant, bar and cleaning staff were polite and friendly as were the exceptional entertainment team who went out of their way to be friendly and made you feel very welcome and certainly worked hard for their money. Immediately on return I have complained to Travel Republic about the mis-selling of this 4 star holiday however I believe that the whole complex is to be re-furbished for next year and new restaurants are to be bulit having said this we will never return to this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone.We have gone to Hipotels in Cala Millor for the last 2 year and there is no comparison.

4 Thank normaj3007
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Possibly you could enjoy yourselves here and there are definite positives to this hotel (location in comparison to lovely beach, entertainment team, friendly and efficient custodial staff) however be sure not to book through travel republic. And if you have small children ensure you book block c. We are currently staying in block A on a 9 night holiday having booked what we believed to be a family orientated trip with great children's facilities...
Our first issue was the transfer which took 2.5 hrs. We came to Mallorca for the short flight time so the little ones didn't have too big a journey and were told transfer time under 1hr. If drive direct from airport then under 1hr but if on bus stopping at every hotel on way then tortuous for your children.
Upon arrival we were given our room number and sent off on our own with our cases to an apartment in the main block (after being told by surly receptionist we should count ourselves lucky not to be in block D as this is what travel republic had booked for us). This was tricky to negotiate.
Opening the door we could instantly see the apartment is tired and more than due an upgrade - the rings of the kitchenette are disgraceful and everything is chipped and worn. That said the bathroom is fine despite the short tub and all spotlessly clean.
The first big disappointments in the room (after realisation clearly not 4 star) were the non working AC (reported and ignored) in the main room, lack of microwave and kettle we were told we'd have and the complete lack of English speaking tv channels. All other Europeans are catered for. (in the info sheet we were given it mentioned one channel CNN but we couldn't find it).
Having spoken to families in block C they have these amenities including CBeebies and a movie channel or 2 for once infants asleep.
Much more importantly though if you stay in block C you have access to a couple of great parks, small pools for under 4s and the Insi Splash Park. Not so for the rest of us who are clearly marked by our different coloured bands and not allowed access. You can buy access at E12 per adult per day and E6 per child or E60 and E30 per week. That certainly racks up the cost of your holiday.
However if you don't do this then all there is in block A is one tiny corner of the pool fenced off for tots and a small playpark (without swings) that desperately needs it's rubber matting refreshed to prevent the knee grazings we've encountered. Not the family centred holiday we'd planned.
As I said at the beginning if you can ensure block C then this would be a 4star break with kids at the centre but otherwise 2 star with frustrated children and angry adults baring costs of add ons not expressed when booked. Although even if in block C you'll still have to cross the main road to get to block A and the restaurant for dinner!
We had believed by booking the 2nd most expensive option that we would be in block C as the only other option was a suite which having checked the website comes with 2 bedrooms and a playstation which we don't yet need. Travel Republic have been useless at remedying the matter and the hotel itself keeps repeating that it would cost us E100 per night to move. Even though the difference for a weeks stay between the 2 blocks on their own website is less than E100 for our remaining 5 nights!!! Incredibly frustrating when we'd gladly pay a fair price to move now and take it up with Travel Republic on our return to UK. The elusive manager has yet to speak to us directly and we get no resolution...

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Boysincharge
County Durham
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed here in September with my husband and little boy. The staff were friendly although there is one grump in the resturant. The main dinning room is quite small and is like feeding time at the zoo although there is a bigger one next to it, it still gets quite manic! The food wasn't very good, salad going brown not fresh, wasps/flies all over chrildren section (which is rather small especially with it being a family hotel) and its more or less the same every night, although they say they have themed nights. The Surf Bar on the other hand is really nice, you have to book in the day before at reception, the food there is all cooked fresh and to order, and it never gets cramped. Even the breakfasts and dinners were nice there too. Splash park is fab for the little ones, rooms in block c are really nice but we had a few ants. The hotel is on a bank with a round about in the middle which can get quite busy and theres not much around hotel (Couple of Shops and about 3 resturants) but the beach is lovely! We got taxis into Cala Bona (which is nice so when we go back to Majorca we will stay there) we also went into Porto Cristo which has a nice harbour. The childrens evening entertainment is ok they do it in a few languages (they could do abit more in English) although the kids seemed to enjoy it, kids club house is good, the parks are really good. All in all was an ok hotel, more 3* than a 4*.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a Family Suite in Block C! Eat at the Surf Bar.
3 Thank Mini_Tinker
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Firstly, the good things. The location is beautiful with a lovely beach and excellent pool areas. The restaurant staff were friendly and helpful and the food, although a bit samey, was plentiful and well presented. The new splash park is clean and great fun, as is the surf bar area. The problem is that this is the only part of the hotel that has been refurbished. I booked two superior rooms with First Choice and paid a supplement only to be given a horrible two bedroom apartment on arrival in block B which smelt damp. When I immediately asked to be moved we were given two standard rooms in block A as the hotel does not have enough superior rooms which have been refurbished yet. I feel First Choice have been misleading in their advertising and pictures of accommodation although I note they have recently changed some of their photos on the website. We had a lovely time and it is a superb location for families but this is not a four star hotel at the moment.

Room Tip: Make a fuss to get what you've paid for.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank 38Jaspercat
colchester, essex
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Spent 4 night mini break here end of September with my husband & friends. Unfortunately we got put in block D - although our confirmation paperwork did not state this. Sadly block D turns out to be a 2-star independent apartment block by the name of Mandisur apartments!! We were not happy to say the least, having booked a supposed 4-star hotel.

You can only have breakfast in block d which quite frankly isn't worth bothering with - all food items are cold & there is no toaster.

You can only have lunch & dinner in the main restaurant & are not able to use the surf restaurant
in block c.

If you stay in block d with children you won't be able to use the water park unless you pay 12 euros per person, per day.

Very child friendly hotel - hotel & rooms clean, drinks good, food average in main restaurant.

I think this hotel need to be more correct with what they are selling to people and what they are actually giving them.

We were glad that we only paid £145 each for 4 nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thebrownpants
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Me, my family and friends ( in total 10 people) just returned from 10 days vacation in Insotel Cala Mandia. We have stayed in block A , this block is being dated, but room was cleaned every day and was nothing wrong with it. Our friends stayed in block C and they rather prefer block A, because this block is near the beach ( sandy and clean), all entertainment was in block A area. Block C rooms are new and much more modern. In this area there are kids club and all kids pools ( there are pools for kids also in block A). Meal, snacks and drinks was delicous. This hotel is really for families with kids, if you are going without them, then I guess this hotel is not for you, as you could feel disturbing by so many kids around:) Animation team was outstanding, especially David with Kerstin ( guys you are the best:)). So, if someone from Cala Mandia is reading these posts - THANK YOU very much for so perfect vacations, your efforts and we will definatly someday come back to your hotel. All the best:)

Room Tip: block A- for close beach and entertaiment block C - for kids club, better room facilities
3 Thank LauraSep
Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa
THB Felip Class
THB Felip Class
#5 of 11 in Porto Cristo

Been to Insotel Cala Mandia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!