Just returned from the Luabay Galatzo hotel. The hotel staff were great, could not do enough for you. Smiles all round & they worked so hard.
We upgraded to a Superior Sea View & was so surprised to be given what appeared to be a Junior Suite - separate lounge & bedroom with TV in each.
The food was good, plenty of choice & the desserts were great.
My only criticism is not regarding the hotel but the Thomson staff. We did not chose this hotel to be entertained, but our experience with Thomson in Egypt 2 years ago made us feel that we could get involved throughout the day. How wrong we were. The main entertainment during the day consisted of a photocopied crossword & Sudoku handed out to guests around the pool. Some imagination there! The Aqua aerobics was not always done as advertised, only twice in our week. If your going to advertise activities and set peoples expectations, then you must follow through with them. The games in the afternoon were throwing bean bags on a target floating in the small pool & a quiz which was read out of a book. Incidentally and as a measure of lack of the coordination, in some cases the questions were repeats from the week before, much to the amusement of guests who had heard them the previous week. Evening entertainment was also very mediocre: another quiz read out of a book and some sort of floor act. Ashley has a lovey voice as well as Damien. However one of the 'brought in acts' LEGENDS were awful. When we questioned the quality of the act with the 'Entertainment Coordinator', she got very defensive, even though most guests thought is was well below a 4 star standard. We were told they were hired because they were local, but no one had 'viewed' them prior to booking them. On this occasion it was just poor singing & stage craft, but applying that methodology to other acts could cause some embarrassment - especially if a local comedian turns out to be blue!
The entertainment team need to up their game & push the boundaries - it can make or break a holiday. Maybe we were spoilt with the entertainment LIAM & the team provided in Egypt in September 2010, but they certainly set the bench mark. The Thomson team at the Luabay, I felt were too relaxed, too cozy, had no reason to go out of their way. The young (average age 21?) & inexperienced team need a mentor there with them for a season. That way, they will learn how to read peoples requirements, adapt to them & provide a broad & diverse range of activity.
Overall - a really nice hotel, but on this occasion it was Thomson who let it down, not the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Galatzo hotel is situated in the south west of Majorca, the largest of the Balearic Island group. Built on a hilltop between the village of Paguera and the residential area of Costa de la Calma and close to the coast it offers magnificent views over the Mediterranean Sea. Surrounded by its own extensive sub tropical gardens that guarantee a quiet and relaxing atmosphere, the Galatzo hotel is the best place to make its guests forget about daily routine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and getaroom.com so you can book your Maritim Hotel Galatzo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luabay Galatzo Hotel Peguera
- Maritim Hotel Peguera
- Maritim Hotel Galatzo Majorca/Peguera, Spain