Our four days in the beachside Hesperia Villamil, Peguera could have been a risk-laden trip down memory lane…my parents had taken me there twice in the early sixties, merely seven years or so after its construction. Its inevitable modernisation could have been a disappointment; maybe the old heart of the hotel had been ripped out?
Not at all. The Villamil retains all of the style and many of the furniture, fixtures and fittings of the past and the black and white photos lining the corridors and staircases tell their own story of the days when the hotel was a venue for the glamorous post-war smart set. Most pleasing of all is the retention of a wide, semi-circular terrace overlooking the sea; it’s arguably the hotel’s most attractive feature and is the perfect venue for pre or post-dinner drinks.
We occupied a junior suite with a sea view (room 221). It was spacious, comfortable and airy with an en-suite bathroom which might have been modern in the 1980s and therefore had a charm of its own.
The hotel has been considerably extended over the years but so have the grounds…there’s a lovely garden between the hotel extension and the sea and the beach itself is now sandy, wide and long; previously the waves used to lap against the rocks below the hotel wall.
The swimming pool however has not been expanded to cope with the extra guests and is therefore usually crowded, mostly with children and their inflatable swimming aids. Best to be nifty first thing with the towels on the loungers; Germans and British make up a large proportion of the clientele and the traditions of that contest for the prime pool-side spot remain a feature of the early morning routine!
The small size of the pool is a negative perhaps…except that the sheltered Peguera bay is effectively a massive swimming pool in its own right; children can wade for some thirty or forty metres before going out of their depth.
The food is not necessarily the hotel’s strongest suit…the buffet breakfasts are fine, taken on a terrace overlooking the garden and lunch (available in the garden) is also adequate. The hotel stages themed menus for dinner (barbeque and Italian food was available during our stay) but fine dining is only available on a limited number of evenings during the week.
This takes place in a smaller restaurant directly overlooking the beach. We ate well at what had to be the best table right by the open window …seafood was our obvious and delicious choice.
“Location, location, location” is as important a principle for the hotelier as for the estate agent and the Villamil holds prime position in Peguera. But the quality of the staff and their welcome is as important and the Villamil gets top marks for this too. From check-in to check-out, we were treated with courtesy and consideration.
A small but significant example; on our first night I placed a blanket under my one pillow for extra support - there didn’t seem to be another pillow available in the room – but the following day the maid had provided another pillow without it being requested. The hotel also organizes occasional functions; we were invited to a cocktail party on our first evening and also took a boat trip to see a spectacular sunset over the sea..
So I would recommend the Villamil as an ideal hotel for a family holiday….or for couples of a certain age. It does not specifically offer a vibrant night-life though the town is certainly lively enough after dark. In summary, you can be confident of a relaxing and comfortable stay in a hotel which retains much of the charm and character of a bygone age whilst also offering all the facilities you’d expect in the 21st century.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hesperia Mallorca Villamil hotel has an idyllic location in front of a sandy beach in the peaceful village of Paguera. Shops, bars and restaurants are right on the doorstep and it’s easy to get local buses for exploring further afield. - 10-15 minutes’ drive to attractions such as Katmandu House and Marineland - 100 meters to bus stop 102 for trips to Puerto de Andraxt and Palma harbor - 30 minutes’ drive from the airport There are 162 rooms inside our castle-style building. They’re all recently renovated and warmly decorated, but best of all most of them come with a fantastic sea view and a terrace or balcony to enjoy it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with NHHotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Hesperia Mallorca Villamil reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hesperia Villamil Hotel Peguera
- Hotel Hesperia Villamil
- Hesperia Villamil Peguera
- Hesperia Mallorca Villamil Majorca/Peguera, Spain