“Fantstic holiday!”
Review of OLA Hotel Panama

OLA Hotel Panama
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Palmanova
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Ola Club Panama- stayed 8th-15th August, booked this hotel after looking at quite a few and reading the reviews.
Have to say the few bad ones I read did worry me slightly and on arrival outside I was wondering what we'd let ourselves in for!
Checking in the lady on reception was very friendly, explained meal times, air con etc, and even let my 4 year old son off wearing his wristband as it was upsetting him!
Our room was basic but clean and comfortable, not huge but we weren't planning on doing much more than sleeping there!
Pool area was lovely, sunbeds were a bit packed in but that's no ones fault! Have to be up early to get a bed, by 8.30am people are waiting for them to be unlocked and to grab their spot for the day! There are also plenty of chairs and tables around to if you can't get a bed.
The self service bar is a brilliant idea, no queues and lots of choice, drinks restocked constantly, when the beer ran out it was back on within 5-10 mins. Ice creams and slush drinks available for the kids, crisps, bread, cheese and meat for a sandwhich if you're peckish.
Food was good, really don't understand the negative reviews about this, some strange meat dishes, but you're abroad...maybe if you're used to burgers, nuggets and sausages all the time it won't be to your taste!
Dining room does get busy but we'd try and eat at the beginning of meal times when it was quieter. The only gripe I have with meal times are the extremely rude French! I'm sorry to say that but I've never seen anything like it!

Heres what made this holiday for us - The entertainment staff, they work tirelessly from morning till night, pool games, archery, rifle shooting, darts, competitions, mini club with the children, thay are all absolutely fantastic! The shows they put on might not be west end material but they make such an effort and get every one involved which is more important.
I spent all week laughing at Leo, he is amazing with the children and they all adore him!
I took my 9 and 4 year olds up to bed on their last night sobbing at the thought of leaving this holiday, that to me says it all.

We would definitely return here again, the fun atmosphere is what made it for us, keep up the good work, we arrived not expecting much and were sorry to leave at the end of the week! :)

2  Thank Em B
olahotels, Quality department at OLA Hotel Panama, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for writing an opinion.
We are very happy you enjoyed your holiday with us so much.
We will pass on your compliments to the entertainment team and to Leo in particular to motivate him to give excellent service to future children.
We would like to welcome you back next year in our hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Me and my Family stayed for 7 days at the beginning of August. we have three children aged 7, 5 , and six months and they thought it was the best holiday ever. to be honest we had preconceptions of this place because the Hotel does have quite a few bad reviews, but to be honest we found the staff helpful and hotel in general very enjoyable. The negative comments do not do this place justice, although I do agree that there are a lot of French guests and they rather rude, but its just best to ignore them.
Our little one became ill on the day of arrival but through not fault of the hotel, we asked for a doctor the following day they called and he arrived within 10 minutes. we noticed that the air con was being turn slightly earlier and being left on a little longer. Not sure if it was because of us, but regardless we are ever so grateful.
If I would criticize anything is that the Entertainment Team do seem to focus on the French a bit more, but I would certainly come again.

1  Thank berty231921

Thank you for your opinion.
We are very happy you enjoyed holiday at our hotel.
Our entertainment team try to do their best to entertain all guests of our hotel equally, we are sorry you didn't experience it so.
We hope to see you next year in our hotel.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just back from a 2 week stay at ola club panama and have to say i thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel and rooms were very clean, the food was average but there was always something you could eat. The air con is a bit of a problem, it's ok being on from 2 till 7 but most people are out at these times. I made sure i was ready and out the room for 7 because after that it was unbearable. Air conditioning should be available as and when needed especially in the middle of a heatwave. The entertainment was very good and the entertainment staff are exceptional. They always looked so happy and were so enthusiastic and made time for people, they are an absolute credit to the hotel. I loved this holiday and my grandson kept asking if we could go back and we weren't even halfway through the holiday. We will most definately be back, adios for now.

Room Tip: I was on the roadside, which i preferred and didn't experience much inconvenience.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cinderella88

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
We will certainly pass on your compliments to our excellent entertainment team.
We hope welcome you back next year in our hotel. Adios.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family stayed here for 10 days and came home on 08th Aug. There was 6 adults and 2 children aged 7 and 2. We are from Ireland. We had a fantastic time. From meeting Angela at reception when we arrived who couldnt do enough for us to the entertainment team who always had a smile on their faces and a hello for everyone. Even the night porter we found to be really helpful and polite. There are quite a few steps into this hotel and also around the pool area. My father was on crutches as he had a broken leg but he managed fine. It stated in all the reviews before we went that there were quite alot of steps so these were no suprise to us or my father when we got there. I also had a pram and managed to get around ok. I agree there are a lot of French who are quite rude. They almost make you feel like you are intruding on their holiday. We just ignored them. Its the easiest way to do it. The Entertainment team were very good my 7 year old daughter was never left out of anything and she thoroughly enjoyed the night time entertainment especially the snakes!! The hotel manager was really helpful and gave the impression that if there was anything he could do to help he would. The food was quite enjoyable and quite tasty although by the time we were going home we were all a little bored of the selections available. The self service bar was a fantastic idea and no-one seemed to take advantage. All in all we really had a great holiday and would consider returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion.
We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
We will pass on your special mention to the hotel director, Angela, the entertainment team and the night porter to motivate them to keep giving excellent customer service to future guests.
We hope to welcome you back next year in our hotel.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed for a week in this hotel, 9 of us in total including 6 adults, 2 children (age 5 and 15 months) and a teenager. I have to say this is the worst hotel I have stayed in having stayed in numerous hotels in Palma Nova including the nearby Don Bigote and Bermudas.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a less than friendly receptionist and asked to pay a 10 euro deposit for the air conditioning unit which was fair enough. It was then explained that the air conditioning would be available between the hours of 2pm and 7pm and would come back on at 10pm until 5am. Spain was in the middle of some kind of heat wave and the temperature was reaching 40 + degrees. When I asked could we leave the air-conditioning on we were told no chance not even for an additional cost. This is ridiculous given the temperatures. My elderly grandparents and 16 month old daughter were melting in this heat. There is no buggy access to this hotel so it was harder work to transport my daughter around than it is at home....this was supposed to be a holiday! I really feel that they should make the air-conditioning available for longer hours in extreme heat like this. As my sister was staying at the hotel Don Bigote over the road we went to visit her in the very cool reception and this was bliss compared to Ola Club Panama.
The help yourself bar was quite handy however the room in which the drinks are served was so so hot and a strange sick smell would develop each afternoon which was quite unpleasant. On one occasion the bar ran out of Vodka so I asked for some more at reception. I was told by another rude receptionist that I would have to wait. Had I been told this politely I would have understood. My daughter drinks milk in the morning and evening and I had to ask at least 10 times for a fresh carton as the other had run out. The snacks served were repetitive and bland.....I thought maybe there would have at least been a toastie machine but instead just plain crisps, plain bread and some uncovered ham and cheese that I wouldn’t suggest anybody eats as it is left there until it runs out which is pretty much all day! On one of the days they put out some left over raw sausages from what I can only imagine was uneaten at breakfast!
The hotel itself was not very clean. I know it is normal to see the odd cockroach but I can honestly say I have never seen as many cockroaches in a hotel in a week. Not sure what was causing there to be so many but I am not a fan! The hotel also has the smallest lift I have ever seen with another small set of stairs to reach it which meant more buggy lifting! The lift itself could not fit 2 people in comfortably never mind a buggy!
The food was repetitive and really quite disgusting. There were plenty of cold foods etc but I prefer to eat hot meals. Not much choice for children either. The dining room is far too small for the number of guests and I found myself tripping up over people and becoming rather angry at rude French people pushing in a queue I had been stood in for 10 minutes. The air-con in the restaurant is next to useless so we were all sweating over our meals it was that hot. I appreciate it was hotter than usual but surely they could turn the air-con up!! On one occasion there was no table at all to accommodate us and we had to wait. My husband and I went to McDonalds one evening and I don’t expect to have to do this having paid for an all inclusive stay.
I have read a number of reviews about how great the entertainment is....I’m not sure if the real entertainers were on holiday but it was the worst entertainment I had ever seen. About 5 reps doing bad dancing to a screen drop of a video that was projected on to a screen. Not in time, no singing very poor! One of the kid’s club entertainers had my 5 year old step daughter crying her eyes out!! Will never find out what really happened but certainly don’t expect this! Most of the kids made their own entertainment in the pool and park so they had a great time.
I have never written a review before but I felt on this occasion that I simply had to inform people about this hotel. The main topic of conversation between all of the families was how bad this hotel was. Lots of friendly English people with kids so no issues there just far too many rude French people spoiling it. Not once was I offered any help with carting the buggy up and down the stairs constantly!! My husband’s birthday fell on one of the days we stayed there and there was a bottle of “champagne” left in the room which I thought was a nice touch however the same bottles were on sale at a shop down the road for 2.5 euro’s but I suppose it’s the thought that counts!! That was the only positive thing I could say about our stay at Ola Club Panama.....please pay a bit extra and stay in a different hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the very first floor looked really dark and gloomy....
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Danielle S
olahotels, Quality department at OLA Hotel Panama, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for your opinion.
We are sorry you didn't enjoy any aspect of your holiday with us.
Our staff try to give the best service to every guest, we're sorry you didn't experience it this way.
We’re sorry you didn’t even enjoy the extra attention in your room for your husbands birthday.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Treated the children and grandchildren to a wonderful family holiday-7 Adults, 6 children and 1 infant- joined by my sister, 2 daughters and a grandchild the day after we arrived. 18 of us in total
-Everything was smooth from the point of booking with 'low cost holidays' my agent Georgina was fantastic from the onset. Flights experience with Monarch was excellent and the luggage allowance for the ZB flights is superb- no need to have cases for the kids as all had 10kg hand luggage included. Only the adults had cases allowance 20kg which we paid for. The check in process was seamless.
-The Entertainment in the hotel is SUPERB and very child orientated- best hotel entertainment experienced in a long time. The manager Duzo was excellent and 'LEO' was absolutley 'FIRST CLASS'. The staff around the complex work extremly hard and are very accommodating. My only observation and recommendation for the amazing Hotel Director' Pepe' is to offer the receptionist staff 'Sophia' some Customer Service Training- she would do well to spend some time Shadowing 'Angela' who was 'OUTSTANDING'... Sophia has little Customer Service Skills...
-There are lots of activites to do-:- Archery; Water Polo; Rifle Shooting; Ping Pong and your team can go to the Hotel across the way to compete. The family water games contest was just awesome with France v Spain v Germany v England- and guess who won 'ENGLAND' sweet victory...
-The food was very diverse with lots of choice- it will seem repetitive after a while but you can always go out for a meal if you like but pointless if your all-inclusive. We found the lunch-time selection was always the best. Breakfast is 8-10 Lunch 12.30-2.30 Dinner 7-9pm Dont leave it too late as the lights for the food turn off exactly on time and is removed as they set up for the next session.. Snacks are served in the self service bar area from 11am - 11pm. The beer from the Keg is one of the best 'Estrella Dam' decent quality. Ladies dont miss the Cava on tap by the freezer in the corner. The slush machines are great but be patient when they have to re-fill them. The drinks available for kids and adults is vast- just pace yourselves.
- if celebrating a birthday in resort please let the reception know by 8am the day before as they porovide a cake and bottle of cava complimentary.... Thanks Pepe...
- Jet Sking can be booked at hotel reception for 10 euro per person for 10 minutes, which is a bargain- you must book 2-3 days before and make your way to the beach right by Hotel Hawaii- 20 minutes walk or less than 5 euro in taxi... your alternative if you book on the beach is 50 euro for 20 minutes....
-10 euro refundable deposit for Air Con remote. Air Con is operated by the hotel 10pm-6am and also during the day.. if the Air Con does not work they can proivide a fan.
- if you have an infant the hotel will charge an additonal 6 euro per day for the cot if you need one, which was a suprise to us. (Pepe i think this should be free!!!)
- Health and Safety note- if you arrive and your balcony glass door does not have red/greensafety stickers on then please report to reception as the glass door will appear to be open when it is not.
-The sunbeds do get used from early in the morning so get up early if you want to secure one.
othet than what i have said, if you go do enjoy yourself and dont worry about the rudeness of some of your fellow european holiday makers as the rudeness is in some of their blood so have a fantastic holiday and remember that its your money you have spent for this holiday so enjoy enjoy enjoy....... I cant wait to go back next year..... :-)

Room Tip: we had rooms on 2nd floor directly above reception (218) directly by x2 lifts which wasnt a problem...
2  Thank BMWgirl007

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive, detailed and honest review.
We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
We will certainly pass on your thanks to Pepe, Angela, Douzie and Leo, in order to motivate them to keep giving excellent service to future guests.
We will pass on your suggestions and feedback to the hotel direction in order to improve our service for future clients.
We hope to warmly welcome you back next year in our hotel.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family and I stayed at the hotel at the end of July, we had a fantastic time the staff at the hotel were lovely. The entertainment staff are second to non!! My two boys 8 and 5 had so much fun at mini club so a special Thankyou to Douzie, Leti, Debora, Aurelie and Leo. My 8year old usually wont join in with things but joining in with the circus day and being douzies side kick clown just made his holiday.( thanks Douzie!! )

The food was lovely, sometimes not to everyone's taste but you can never please everyone!! The help yourself bar is fantastic, the first all inclusive hotel I have stayed at with no queues.

The first night we where there there was a lot of noise around 3am but have to say that was the only time to say you are in a busy area! The hotel is in a great location for the beach only a 5 min walk. The rooms are a very good size, with clean towels every day and beds made every day.

All in all a lovely hotel, your holiday is what you make it!!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Gayle E
olahotels, Quality department at OLA Hotel Panama, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you for your honest opinion.
We are very happy you enjoyed your holiday with us.
We will certainly pass on your special thanks to Douzie, Leti, Debora, Aurelie and Leo in order to motivate the to continue giving impressive service to future clients.
We are also happy you enjoyed our food, our self service bar and our hotelstaff.
We hope to welcome you back next year again.