“A straightforward hotel in an excellent location”

Intertur Hotel Hawaii Mallorca & Suites
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
Northwest, UK
“A straightforward hotel in an excellent location”
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I don't normally bother writing reviews of where I've been but TripAdvisor was very helpful in my decision to visit this hotel so I thought I'd return the favour with an account of my own experiences.

First off I should say that after reading the majority of the reviews on here, I don't think it's possible for me to fully understand what some people expect from their holidays so I'm not even going to try seeing it from everyone's point of view. Basically I'm just a late-20s bloke who's been round a fair bit of Europe, from Venice to Benidorm, and was looking for a cheap all-inclusive place in the sun for a few days with my girlfriend. My only expectations were a clean enough room, standard food and beer and a decent location for sightseeing.

Essentially the Hawaii ticks all these boxes. The hotel and rooms are tidy and were cleaned daily, though there's a 13 Euros pppn premium for "extras" such as tea making facilities and a Playstation - not worth it in my book. The decor in the rooms is so fantastically 70s I couldn't help but laugh - generally I find that sort of thing funny rather than it bothering me, but I can see why some people expect otherwise. It could all definitely do with a lick of paint in a colour about 30 years more modern, and the marble-effect floors are an oddly incongruous touch, but it honestly didn't bother me at all. We were generally just up and out in the day and using it to get changed at night, so it wasn't that crucial how it looked. The bathroom had an excellent shower and a hairdryer, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend who'd brought her own... ah well, better to be safe than sorry eh?

The all-inclusive deal seemed worth the money and although we had no intention of hanging round the hotel for three full days, we took advantage of it when we could. I thought the food was pretty good, really, and I'm vegetarian so I always have to wonder about these things. The salad bar was great for me and while the hot mains were a little less inspiring, there was always around 6-8 dishes I could choose from out of the 10-14 total. We had a good laugh when my girlfriend asked for a cava with lunch on the first day and the waiter returned and plonked a full bottle down... oh well, may as well drink it!

To be honest unless someone is downright rude to my face I'm a pretty tolerant guy so the staff would have to pull out all the stops to bother me. Yeah, they didn't say much apart from thanks and all that, but what do you expect? These guys are probably paid peanuts for being expected to walk round with a smile on their face 24/7 while people bellow pigeon English at them. The receptionist was on Facebook one time I walked up but, y'know, so what, don't we all kill the odd boring moment at work? He was a nice enough guy and polite to us so what's the harm done? I suppose it's a question of expectations again so if this sort of thing bothers you, it might not be the best place to come.

We didn't totally cane the bar as I probably would have done if I'd come in a big group, but the drinks we had were decent enough. My girlfriend tried the cocktails which were bright neon like a 1980s pop video, and I checked out the beer and a few spirits which, well, tasted like beer and spirits. To be honest if we weren't on all-inclusive I wouldn't have stayed at the hotel bar much since the prices were virtually the same (or more) as the other nearby bars, and in general prices over there aren't especially cheap. The entertainment is as brilliantly retro as the decor, a Spanish compere/DJ/bingo caller introducing an act each night... we saw the funny side of some kind of demented circus troupe one night, and were gutted to miss the parrot on the bike the night after as we had to leave. It is proper old style family entertainment so if that's what you're after, great, otherwise you'd better be prepared to see the funny side or you'll be sitting bored all night getting smashed off cheap spirits.

A lot of the other reviews I read mention the excellent location, and I agree wholeheartedly. I actually put back the trip a day so that we could stay here (it was fully booked on the Friday before), as it looked by far the best spot out of the cheap/mid-range ones in Palma Nova. The view from our balcony, room 638, was fantastic. It sits at one end of a U-shaped bay so to the left was the curve of Palma Nova bay and an amazing sunset, and to the right in the distance was Palma and the shimmering lights of its marina.

It's also a great spot if, like us, you wanted to see a bit of everything in the area. Magaluf is literally a few minutes round the corner with Palma Nova's bars five or ten minutes the other way. The buses to Palma (2.75 Euros) are nearby and easy enough to figure out, though the timetables are virtually useless so just turn up and wait. At the bottom of the hotel steps (also accessible by the lift) is a beach and a strip of five or six cafe bars, mostly British and showing football and one of which did a top brew after quite enough of those tiny European coffees!

I suppose I should mention the bad points. If you're arriving on a late flight and don't have transfers arranged, be prepared to either get a taxi and have the address printed out to show the driver, or bus it to Palma (2 Euros) and either try to figure out the night bus (good luck to you, as we nearly ended up walking down a motorway) or get a taxi. The road it is on is badly lit at night and the hotel sign isn't lit so our taxi took ages to spot the place in the dark, and ran to 18 Euros, but at 1am you don't care much.

I can't speak for every room but ours, 638, was directly above the bar so it's going to be noisy late at night and also from around 9am. We also had kids charging past the door from very early on, as the 6th floor is the main reception and dining room floor. It was annoying but as we were there for a few days and needed to be up anyway, we let it go; however, definitely bear it in mind if you need your sleep. I imagine the other rooms are fine though as they rise in a tower above the main building.

I can't really think of any other problems, although I'm sure that being a young couple with no kids meant a lot of things didn't apply to us or we just laughed it off, for example I don't know anything about the kid's entertainment, the pools or the problems of having just one all-inc card. However, what I can say is that as a cheap, short break in the sun for a couple, the Hawaii Hotel checks all the main boxes and you'll only leave disappointed if you're being unrealistic and have come with higher expectations than you've paid for.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ronniec1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
nottingham
Reviewed April 20, 2009

This hotel came highly recommended by friends and family who we travelled and stayed with whilst in the hotel.Even they had to admit after 14 days the hotel standards had dropped significantly in the 5 years they had been coming to magaluf. We took our 15yr old son and 3yr old daughter with us all inclusive, none of us are fussy about what we eat and spent many days exploring the area,so we wasnt treating the hotel as a second home just a place to sleep and eat. This is how we found the hotel in general.

Location: Very good, we had wonderful pool sea view.Set on the side of a hill steep steps and inclines.
Rooms : Incredibly Basic, poor security. Would advise a premium room if you can afford it.Rooms had no tea/coffee making facilties, no TV remote,no english channels apart from sky news and world news,not much storage room for clothes etc. Fresh towels done daily, but no change of bed linen in 14 days. Highly recommend paying for the Safe. Cleaning staff however were friendly.

Restaurant: We found the restaurant area very roomy and laid out well. The waiters and restaurant staff were quite arrogant/ignorant mainly toward the english people,they seemed quite accomodating to the spanish guests. Food quality was well below par, got very repetative with less choice as the days went by. Some food seemed very under cooked specially the sausages, we couldn't bring ourselves to taste them in fear of possibly getting ill. In fact the second week we knew of 2 guests that had come down ill complaining of stomach pains and sickness.Tea /coffee was only available at breakfast the rest of the time you had to pay for it,however free tea /coffee which was quite poor, was still available in the Bar area.

Bar/ Entertainment area : Bar area was quite roomy again, laid out well with stage area for the kids entertainment and acts later on at night. The local entertainment crew for kids was great and kept them occupied quite well. However the drinks bar was mostly under staffed on busier nights and long que's would form trying to get drinks. If your a spirit drinker there's a good choice of spirits to choose from, if your a beer drinker you have only one choice, the local beer, which is quite frankly terrible. You can buy bottled beer in the bar, but at a cost, not worth it if all inclusive. Smoking is only allowed in the bar for certain times of the year.First week people were allowed to smoke, second week they disallowed it.

North West
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Just returned from eleven days All Inclusive at the Hawaii. On the plus side, the location is second to none. Fantastic views and virtually on the beach. Within walking distance of several good beaches and all the usual hulabaloo of a tourist seaside town. Plenty of pubs, clubs and bars situated locally if that is what you are after, and just a short walk from the 'weyhey' of Magaluf.

Rooms are spacious and cleaned daily with fresh towels and a general tidy around. We shared a room for four and found it workable even with two untidy youngsters. It seems all rooms have a sea view though the lower rooms don't actually get any sun on the balcony at this time of year - a little frustrating. Bathrooms clean and power showers that leave you clean and invigorated.

A few staff at the hotel could manage a smile and this was indeed a welcome relief. On the whole, they were surly and quite unfriendly, even though we spoke to them in Spanish to show a little effort and always greeted them with a smile. Maybe they don't get paid enough to be hospitable?

The entertainment was average. There were two 'Animacion' staff who managed to hold it together for both the kids clubs (which operated daily from 11 - 1 and 2 - 3) and the evening bingo and caberet show. One or two of the turns were worth seeing, namely the Brazillian show and the circus act. The others, well quite frankly, once you were able to retrieve the comedy value from their efforts, were actually quite hilarious, though they never intended this!

One of the worst features of the all inclusive was the system of one card per family. Having been all inclusive before when every family member was issued with a wrist band so they could move around independently, this system was dire. There were no ice cream or lollies for children, the snack bar was none existent. The constant cries of 'who's got the card?' will be echoing in my head for weeks to come! Food was OK, that's about all I can say, quite bland.

Overall a relatively decent budget family holiday. Would be much improved if they changed the card system.

West Country
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Second time at this hotel. Was excellent last year as a party of 19 covering 3 generations. Just as good this time with a party of 8 covering 3 generations. Yes the standard rooms are basic and the food is not Michelin star quality. HOWEVER, you can sleep well, even though the amount of bedding best suits the summer. You can eat well because there's plenty of choice. Even my choosy 6 year old eat well every meal. Go all inclusive now that the pound is worthless. Best part apart from some of the staff (Enrique in entertainment to name one), was the location - what a view!!!

Near enough to Magaluf to enjoy what it has to offer but far enough away to have undisturbed sleep!!! WILL be going back. I have high expectations but be open minded and you will not be disappointed. I spend one of my holidays in Barbados but this is certainly one of my favourites.

1 Thank AHP62
littleg85
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I have just been on a 5 day break to this hotel with my husband, his daughter age 8 and my grandma who is nearing 70.
I was a bit jubious at first as to the reviews of this hotel and booking but after looking at this website and many others I thought I would just go with it. Im glad I did.
Many of the reviews have said about the place smelling of smoke and especially the restaurant, this was not the case at all. I am a non smoker so I notice the smell of smoke more bit I didnt get a whiff of it. Also there is limited smoking space inside so people can still smoke but it not be overwhelming.
The food in the hotel was of a good selection and none of my party went hungry. The waiters will bring you your first drink when you sit down. Bottles of wine are free on the all inclusive and taste ok.
All rooms and general areas were very clean and could not complain at all, despite it being busy with it being Easter holidays. We had a room for 3 of us which was quite spacious but the room that my grandma had was absolutly lovely, on the front with a great view of the bay.
Despite the hotel sitting on the side of a cliff I was quite worried with regards to my Grandma but she was fine, there is a lift that runs in the day down to the pool and then you can walk all the way round the bay.
Be sure to look out for Thomas..... he sells the boat trips that run from right outside the hotel and was very friendly, he even let our 8 year old take the trip for free. Brill couple of hours on the sea for a good price.
Entertainment in the eveing was ok although if one complaint the microphone the use was very loud, im young (23) so dont mind loud noise but this was loud. Go watch the parrot show, best thing. Did find all the Spanish people won the bingo though!
I would return to this hotel again and if anyone has any questions then please send me a message.

1 Thank littleg85
Gloucestershire
Reviewed December 19, 2008

We stayed at this hotel 17th - 31st oct.The hotel was clean but smelt of fag smoke even the rooms.The rooms had a good view but the storms let the rain in under the door to our rooms.The staff were friendly but not the restarant staff were so unfriendly and the same food all 2 weeks we were there not any snacks in between meals.Iended up with upset stomach middle of the first week and middle of the second week and for 2 weeks after i got home must have been the food.I went there with my hubby and 3 sons not alot for them to do .The best thing about this hotel was the view and location.Sorry to say i would not be going back to this hotel again.

• Liked — view and location
  • Disliked — restarant staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
australia
Reviewed December 4, 2008

The Hotel reeked of tobacco smoke, the food very cheap, low grade meats and fruit.
The male waiters rude to the guests in general, stood beside the tables discarding scraps from plates, bashing plates and singing loudly whilst people were eating.
We stayed in two other Hotels on the Island the fortnight before and their standard was excellent compared to this one.
My advice is to shop around there are better deals and more pleasant hotels than this one.

• Liked — Good view nothing else
  • Disliked — Rude staff and terrible buffet, had to eat out elsewhere most of the time.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple