I don't normally bother writing reviews of where I've been but TripAdvisor was very helpful in my decision to visit this hotel so I thought I'd return the favour with an account of my own experiences.
First off I should say that after reading the majority of the reviews on here, I don't think it's possible for me to fully understand what some people expect from their holidays so I'm not even going to try seeing it from everyone's point of view. Basically I'm just a late-20s bloke who's been round a fair bit of Europe, from Venice to Benidorm, and was looking for a cheap all-inclusive place in the sun for a few days with my girlfriend. My only expectations were a clean enough room, standard food and beer and a decent location for sightseeing.
Essentially the Hawaii ticks all these boxes. The hotel and rooms are tidy and were cleaned daily, though there's a 13 Euros pppn premium for "extras" such as tea making facilities and a Playstation - not worth it in my book. The decor in the rooms is so fantastically 70s I couldn't help but laugh - generally I find that sort of thing funny rather than it bothering me, but I can see why some people expect otherwise. It could all definitely do with a lick of paint in a colour about 30 years more modern, and the marble-effect floors are an oddly incongruous touch, but it honestly didn't bother me at all. We were generally just up and out in the day and using it to get changed at night, so it wasn't that crucial how it looked. The bathroom had an excellent shower and a hairdryer, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend who'd brought her own... ah well, better to be safe than sorry eh?
The all-inclusive deal seemed worth the money and although we had no intention of hanging round the hotel for three full days, we took advantage of it when we could. I thought the food was pretty good, really, and I'm vegetarian so I always have to wonder about these things. The salad bar was great for me and while the hot mains were a little less inspiring, there was always around 6-8 dishes I could choose from out of the 10-14 total. We had a good laugh when my girlfriend asked for a cava with lunch on the first day and the waiter returned and plonked a full bottle down... oh well, may as well drink it!
To be honest unless someone is downright rude to my face I'm a pretty tolerant guy so the staff would have to pull out all the stops to bother me. Yeah, they didn't say much apart from thanks and all that, but what do you expect? These guys are probably paid peanuts for being expected to walk round with a smile on their face 24/7 while people bellow pigeon English at them. The receptionist was on Facebook one time I walked up but, y'know, so what, don't we all kill the odd boring moment at work? He was a nice enough guy and polite to us so what's the harm done? I suppose it's a question of expectations again so if this sort of thing bothers you, it might not be the best place to come.
We didn't totally cane the bar as I probably would have done if I'd come in a big group, but the drinks we had were decent enough. My girlfriend tried the cocktails which were bright neon like a 1980s pop video, and I checked out the beer and a few spirits which, well, tasted like beer and spirits. To be honest if we weren't on all-inclusive I wouldn't have stayed at the hotel bar much since the prices were virtually the same (or more) as the other nearby bars, and in general prices over there aren't especially cheap. The entertainment is as brilliantly retro as the decor, a Spanish compere/DJ/bingo caller introducing an act each night... we saw the funny side of some kind of demented circus troupe one night, and were gutted to miss the parrot on the bike the night after as we had to leave. It is proper old style family entertainment so if that's what you're after, great, otherwise you'd better be prepared to see the funny side or you'll be sitting bored all night getting smashed off cheap spirits.
A lot of the other reviews I read mention the excellent location, and I agree wholeheartedly. I actually put back the trip a day so that we could stay here (it was fully booked on the Friday before), as it looked by far the best spot out of the cheap/mid-range ones in Palma Nova. The view from our balcony, room 638, was fantastic. It sits at one end of a U-shaped bay so to the left was the curve of Palma Nova bay and an amazing sunset, and to the right in the distance was Palma and the shimmering lights of its marina.
It's also a great spot if, like us, you wanted to see a bit of everything in the area. Magaluf is literally a few minutes round the corner with Palma Nova's bars five or ten minutes the other way. The buses to Palma (2.75 Euros) are nearby and easy enough to figure out, though the timetables are virtually useless so just turn up and wait. At the bottom of the hotel steps (also accessible by the lift) is a beach and a strip of five or six cafe bars, mostly British and showing football and one of which did a top brew after quite enough of those tiny European coffees!
I suppose I should mention the bad points. If you're arriving on a late flight and don't have transfers arranged, be prepared to either get a taxi and have the address printed out to show the driver, or bus it to Palma (2 Euros) and either try to figure out the night bus (good luck to you, as we nearly ended up walking down a motorway) or get a taxi. The road it is on is badly lit at night and the hotel sign isn't lit so our taxi took ages to spot the place in the dark, and ran to 18 Euros, but at 1am you don't care much.
I can't speak for every room but ours, 638, was directly above the bar so it's going to be noisy late at night and also from around 9am. We also had kids charging past the door from very early on, as the 6th floor is the main reception and dining room floor. It was annoying but as we were there for a few days and needed to be up anyway, we let it go; however, definitely bear it in mind if you need your sleep. I imagine the other rooms are fine though as they rise in a tower above the main building.
I can't really think of any other problems, although I'm sure that being a young couple with no kids meant a lot of things didn't apply to us or we just laughed it off, for example I don't know anything about the kid's entertainment, the pools or the problems of having just one all-inc card. However, what I can say is that as a cheap, short break in the sun for a couple, the Hawaii Hotel checks all the main boxes and you'll only leave disappointed if you're being unrealistic and have come with higher expectations than you've paid for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Intertur Hotel Hawaii Mallorca & Suites is an all-inclusive hotel in Mallorca offering bed and breakfast, half-board and full-board accommodation, perfect for families and couples looking for the perfect holiday in Palma Nova in a good value hotel and with the best rates available. Situated by the sea, most family rooms at the Intertur Hotel Hawaii Mallorca & Suites offer fantastic views over the bay of Palma Nova as well as offering a quiet family atmosphere, and a wide range of activities both for children and adults: the perfect match to spend unforgettable holidays with your family. New for 2015 - the addition of the Hawaii Suites Building situated across the street from the hotel (main building). The Suites Building will be totally renovated and will consist of Junior Suites and 1 Bedroom Apartments (both without seaviews). In the Hotel which is classed as the main building you will find panoramic terrace overlooking Palmanova bay, miniclub, swimming pool and terraces with private access to the sea, garden, gymnasium, ample buffet, Chill-out terrace ... In the Suites Building you will find a swimming pool, conference room, and a relaxing pool bar. There is also a panoramic Chill Out terrace which is exclusively for adults only (from 19:00 to 24:00. Weather permitting). Choose between All-inclusive, Bed and Breakfast, Half-board (includes breakfast and dinner. Beverage not included), Full-Board (includes breakfast, lunch and dinner. Beverage not included) or Bed Only in our hotel in Palma Nova and enjoy a real holiday! Check-in time: 14:00 Check-out time: 12:00 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Intertur Hotel Hawaii Mallorca & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawaii Mallorca Hotel
- Hotel Hawaii Majorca
- Hotel Hawaii Palma Nova
- Hawaii Mallorca Palma Nova
- Hawaii Hotel Palma Nova
- Hotel Hawaii Mallorca
- Intertur Hotel Hawaii Mallorca & Suites Palmanova, Majorca