“Excellent Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
county durham
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at the Son Matais Beach. Really good food with plenty of choice and meals varied every day well done!. View from the room was beautiful and very little noise, housekeeping kept the room spotless and staff in general were very good. Pool area was well set out with plenty of sunbeds but you still got your usual people waiting at the gate to rush to “their sunbed every morning”. Entertainment was varied but rather slow between 8pm and 10pm. Would say this hotel is more for people over the age of 40. One change that could be made is that I had a lot of maxi dresses with me and the wardrobe space did not accommodate these as the drop was not long enough If you want good value for money, excellent food and a well presented hotel then this one is for you. Hope enjoy as much as we did.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view. Rooms with 01-08 numbers get morning sun 09-16 afternoon sun
2 Thank JessieCountyDurham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just back from another great holiday at Hotel Son Matias Beach.
Staff from cleaners to management lovely and looking forward to
another week at the end of August. Top class hotel and would
not go anywhere else in Palmanova.

Room Tip: Corner suites are brilliant. Just like everything else.
2 Thank Evelyn S
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We are looking forward to our fourteenth (14th!) visit to Son Matias Beach next month. The staff are great and the location second to none - right on the beach. We chose bed & breakfast accommodation which means we are free to chose eating out locally or in the hotel if we like. The entertainment is good most evenings. The hotel is very relaxed and the housekeeping staff keep the rooms spotless -great job. It's true that the hotel age group is on the older side but as this is an adults only hotel this is to be expected. During the summer months there are some younger clientele but many are repeat customers like myself & my husband - both in our mid-fifties. One thing to note, it can be a bit noisy with the return of late night revellers from clubs in Magalluf - no biggy. To anyone considering SMB, you will to be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra B
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I have just returned after a cruise and stay. We stayed at this hotel last year and loved it.

This year we think the standard has slipped slighty. On the Monday we didn,t get our room cleaned despite removing the do not disturb sign at 9 30am and returning at 4 45pm to find it the way we left it was most annonying.

The night before departure myself and other guests were told that the dining room would be opened at 7 15 so we could have breakfast before getting picked up at 8 55am. There was a cold breakfast in what they call the quiet room which consisted of white bread and cereal no hot drinks. The receptionist said that's all we could have making out that he was doing everyone a favour? We were actually entitled to a full breakfast that morning. I went to reception and asked if I could have a brown roll as i cant eat white bread as I am type 1 diabetic and the cereal was to sweet he was very rude and grumpy and said yes yes yes. I had to ask him again if someone could get me one he got up and stormed into the dining room and said help yourself. On entering the dining room I found everything was ready for guests to have breakfast. Everyone that was departing that morning was really disappointed at the way we were treated by the receptionist it made a horrible ending to a good holiday.

Having said all that I think we would return to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the beach
2 Thank happytravellers0023
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We recently enjoyed our first visit at this hotel and we are looking forwards to enjoying another holiday there as it suited our needs, and we have made some lovely memories. The hotel staff are friendly and work very hard to keep customers happy. The hotel and the rooms are clean and every room has a balcony with sea view. Tea and coffee making facilities are supplied, as are toiletries in the bathroom. There was a safe and a refrigerator in the room, we paid a small charge for the keys on both of these items. Food was very good, plenty of choice both at breakfast and dinner. The restaurant is light and airy with the option of sitting outside to eat whilst enjoying the magnificent vista. As well as lazing by the pool and Jacuzzi between cooling down in them, we participated in the outdoor games the entertainment team arranged. Megan and Jacinta work hard to keep everyone entertained, quite a feat as the age range of customers was from 30 upwards. Evening entertainment included different artists, usually tribute bands, plus Mark Ritchie who is a country/western singer and guitarist who impressed us so much that we purchased c.d.'s from him. Considering we aren't fans of country/western music that was quite an achievement on his part! I have asked the hotel to make an announcement if there are to be flashing or strobe lighting with the shows, as I was badly affected with the lighting display in 1 of the shows. I was very grateful to Sue who is 1 of the hard working bar staff, as she came to my rescue and got the lights turned off until I left the room. The hotel is well situated with being a hop and a skip from the white sandy beach and dazzling deep blue, turquoise sea. On the front side of the hotel there many shops, supermarkets, and bars of different kinds. Walking into Palma centre is a fairly level walk without any steps to climb, as I am partially sighted this is a big consideration for me. We have already recommended this hotel to friends. Wonderful.

Room Tip: all rooms have balcony/sea view
1 Thank sparkle s
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel along with a weeks cruise. We have stayed in many Spanish hotels but I have to say this is the best one we have ever been in. The food was excellent with plenty to choose from and the decor of the rooms were lovely with everything that you need, Entertainment was varied. I do admit the age group of the guests were elderly but it did not spoil our time there and would have no hesitation in going back to son matias hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the sea we were on the second floor and it was fine
1 Thank Frances M
Paisley, Scotland
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Just returned from two week stay at the SMB. From reading previous reviews, most stated it was an over 50's age group. My husband and I are in our 50's and we were the youngest guests there for the first week and felt like teenagers. On the first night all we could see was white hair, walking sticks and zimmer frames. As the majority of the guests are repeat customers we felt like outsiders and felt unwelcome and that there was an atmosphere. I personally do not think the repeat customers are doing this hotel any favours.

Aside from the age group, the hotel is immaculate and in a stunning location, we had a suite on the third floor and the view was amazing. The breakfast was good, but unfortunately I cant really say the same about dinner. The soup was obviously out of a packet and was like dishwater and pretty tasteless. Only one fish choice and this was usually overcooked and full of bones. If you like steak and kidney pie and apple crumble (not what I want when on holiday, or at home) then you will enjoy. Overall I think the food is geared to the elderly guests.

I would certainly not return to this hotel early or late in the season because of the age group of the clientele, who apparently all go back again in September!!

2 Thank frnkyby5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmanova
Sol Beach House Mallorca
#8 of 39 in Palmanova
Aparthotel Rosa del Mar
Aparthotel Rosa del Mar
#5 of 39 in Palmanova

Been to Hotel Son Matias Beach? Share your experiences!