“wonderful”

GreenLeadersGold level
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“wonderful”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We recently enjoyed our first visit at this hotel and we are looking forwards to enjoying another holiday there as it suited our needs, and we have made some lovely memories. The hotel staff are friendly and work very hard to keep customers happy. The hotel and the rooms are clean and every room has a balcony with sea view. Tea and coffee making facilities are supplied, as are toiletries in the bathroom. There was a safe and a refrigerator in the room, we paid a small charge for the keys on both of these items. Food was very good, plenty of choice both at breakfast and dinner. The restaurant is light and airy with the option of sitting outside to eat whilst enjoying the magnificent vista. As well as lazing by the pool and Jacuzzi between cooling down in them, we participated in the outdoor games the entertainment team arranged. Megan and Jacinta work hard to keep everyone entertained, quite a feat as the age range of customers was from 30 upwards. Evening entertainment included different artists, usually tribute bands, plus Mark Ritchie who is a country/western singer and guitarist who impressed us so much that we purchased c.d.'s from him. Considering we aren't fans of country/western music that was quite an achievement on his part! I have asked the hotel to make an announcement if there are to be flashing or strobe lighting with the shows, as I was badly affected with the lighting display in 1 of the shows. I was very grateful to Sue who is 1 of the hard working bar staff, as she came to my rescue and got the lights turned off until I left the room. The hotel is well situated with being a hop and a skip from the white sandy beach and dazzling deep blue, turquoise sea. On the front side of the hotel there many shops, supermarkets, and bars of different kinds. Walking into Palma centre is a fairly level walk without any steps to climb, as I am partially sighted this is a big consideration for me. We have already recommended this hotel to friends. Wonderful.

Room Tip: all rooms have balcony/sea view
1 Thank sparkle s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel along with a weeks cruise. We have stayed in many Spanish hotels but I have to say this is the best one we have ever been in. The food was excellent with plenty to choose from and the decor of the rooms were lovely with everything that you need, Entertainment was varied. I do admit the age group of the guests were elderly but it did not spoil our time there and would have no hesitation in going back to son matias hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the sea we were on the second floor and it was fine
1 Thank Frances M
Paisley, Scotland
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Just returned from two week stay at the SMB. From reading previous reviews, most stated it was an over 50's age group. My husband and I are in our 50's and we were the youngest guests there for the first week and felt like teenagers. On the first night all we could see was white hair, walking sticks and zimmer frames. As the majority of the guests are repeat customers we felt like outsiders and felt unwelcome and that there was an atmosphere. I personally do not think the repeat customers are doing this hotel any favours.

Aside from the age group, the hotel is immaculate and in a stunning location, we had a suite on the third floor and the view was amazing. The breakfast was good, but unfortunately I cant really say the same about dinner. The soup was obviously out of a packet and was like dishwater and pretty tasteless. Only one fish choice and this was usually overcooked and full of bones. If you like steak and kidney pie and apple crumble (not what I want when on holiday, or at home) then you will enjoy. Overall I think the food is geared to the elderly guests.

I would certainly not return to this hotel early or late in the season because of the age group of the clientele, who apparently all go back again in September!!

2 Thank frnkyby5
Liverpool United
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have just returned from our first visit to this hotel. We were very impressed. After a speedy and courteous check in, we found our room to be spacious and tastefully decorated together with a good sized bathroom with bath/shower together with a good supply of toiletries. There is also tea and coffee making facilities, which is unusual for a Spanish hotel. The cleanliness in this hotel is faultless both in our room and all public areas.

The location of this hotel is fantastic, just a short step right onto the beach with access onto the lovely promenade from the back of the hotel. A high floor is a must, the views are beautiful.

The food is some of the best we have had, a very good choice at breakfast and dinner. The hotel caters very much for the British taste (all British guests) and it was obvious that many came here year after year. I agree with a previous reviewer about the age of the guests, we are no spring chickens (60 plus) but I have to say, we felt quite young compared to some of the people staying there!

The pool area can get very crowded, no chance of a lounger in the morning, although I was very impressed with the rule they have of removing towels and belongings. If a lounger is left for more than an hour, a sticker is placed on the bed and if it is still there an hour later, the towels are removed. I wish other hotels implemented this rule, as it gives other guests a fairer chance of securing a bed.

The dining room is modern and airy, there are also tables outside and the staff are very pleasant and helpful. However, I was very surprised to see a few gentlemen in shorts at dinner, I don't think it is too much to ask for the gentlemen to wear long trousers at dinner, after all this is a 4* hotel.

Daytime entertainment: Plenty going on if you want to join in.
Evening " : Different artist each evening, very average but we did see an excellent tribute Neil Diamond, the best act of the week.

Jacinta and Megan work very hard to keep everyone entertained.

Would recommend Son Matias Beach Bar next door to hotel, ideal for coffees, drinks and snacks.

Incidentally, I was badly bitten by mosquitos on our first night there, they had a feast on both of my legs - take insect repellent!

Room Tip: Go for a high floor, some noise in the early hours from revellers returning from the bars. We were...
2 Thank Childwall020
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Had a really lovely stay at this hotel,beautiful location,food was the best we've had at any hotel we've been to,if any criticism is the age of the other clientele I'm 60and I think I was the youngest one there,not really into line/ ballroom dancing,also think its a bit much when you have to pay for a key to use the fridge

1 Thank gatesers
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

lovely hotel, clean, we'll located, friendly staff BUT The Age profile of this hotel needs reducing dramatically. we have just come back from 2 weeks staying here and were glad to be relieved of looking after the elderly and very frail clientele. I thought we had gone to an old people's home instead of a 4 star hotel in Palma Nova. Line/ballroom dancing, not for me. I got fed up of people saying, "we've been coming here for 20/30 years, this is our seat, we have always done it this way! My husband and I are indeed pensioners ourselves, BUT we are not ready for the knackers yard yet!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Southam Warwickshire uk
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Hotel right on beach with all rooms having sea views. Hotel room and bathroom excellent. Staff friendly and helpful and all spoke excellent English and nothing was too much trouble for them. A word of warning, this hotel does seem geared to accommodating the older and not so able generations , (hotel offers raised toilet seats and other aids)! Evening entertainment also leans this way but can't comment too much on this as we found a couple of very pleasant bars on which to spend the evening.

Food was excellent, a carvery joint every night along with copious other choices, puds to die for, breakfast was equally as good but would have preferred a bit more Mediterranean breakfast foodstuffs instead of a good old English 'fry up'!
Excellent idea of having antibacterial hand wash to be used on entry to restaurant.

Extra charge for the fridge in room should be dropped and would welcome decaff coffee and UHT milk instead of powdered in room.

Found it very easy to find way round resort and as we are a young and fit 60+couple walked into Magaluf and Portal Nous and drooled over the yachts of the rich!

All in all a very pleasant week's break in the sun. Would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room, as this will cut down on any noise coming from late night revellers walking ba...
1 Thank Gillmags1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmanova
Sol Beach House Mallorca
#8 of 39 in Palmanova
Aparthotel Rosa del Mar
Aparthotel Rosa del Mar
#5 of 39 in Palmanova

Been to Hotel Son Matias Beach? Share your experiences!