“A good hotel for families”
Review of AluaSun Torrenova

AluaSun Torrenova
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
blyth
“A good hotel for families”
Reviewed October 6, 2008

The hotel is in a quiet area of Torrenova and as mentioned is on a hill. This didn't bother most people although if you have any walking difficulties you should avoid the hotel just for that reason. On first looks the hotel is clean and well presented and this theme continues in most of the public areas but the rooms are a different matter as the furniture is very old and needs replacing. The room for the 2 of us was a good size with a decent bathroom. The room had a fridge and TV and amazing air con that was very efficient. The view from our room (511) was amazing over the bay but our other parties room 1 floor lower was ruined by tall trees. The room was basic and the bed a little hard but as we were out most of the time it did the job, don't expect 4* standards though, this is basic accomodation.

All staff encountered including the reps were very friendly and helpfull, many of them being english but unfortunatly they couldn't organise anything in the restaurant at all with very slow service if you wanted a drink so just go to the bar in the restaurant, much quicker. Lack of service at meal times was more than made up for by the food. Although very english, the selection was good, the food was hot and we enjoyed every meal including a full english breakfast every day. No complaints with the food. There was also a seperate kids food area.

We did not travel with children but heard many complaints about the kids making a noise at night during the shows etc (most shows were very poor anyway except the U2 band and the magician) and running wild and to be fair they had a point. There is a time for kids and a time for adults but not in this hotel, the parents just let the kids run wild. This didn't bother us as it was nice to see the kids enjoying themselves but bear this in mind when booking as this is a family hotel and unsuitable for older people who don't like kids. Don't go to a family hotel then complain about the noise!! No noise at all after about midnight from either the guests or the streets, very quiet.

You can park your hire car in and around the hotel for free.

Overall this is in a nice area, nice beaches and I would return to the hotel again if a good offer came up but it would be nice to see the rooms refurbished before I return. totalguitar20@hotmail.com

• Liked — Good selection of food, great staff
  • Disliked — Basic rooms, the hill.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
brentwood, essex
Reviewed October 4, 2008

We have recently returned from having a short break in Palma Nova. The hotel staff were very good. The Thomson reps(especially Mark) were very polite and helpful. The entertainers Gawjuss Greg and Lovely Lisa were absolutely fantastic! I just loved Greg's sunbed stretch in the mornings and still laugh when I play the video at home. The cabaret acts were a little disappointing except for the American Tenor who was excellent.The bar staff were very friendly as were the cleaners. The food was fine, but the tables needed to be cleaned a little more often. The hill was a pain at first, but you soon get used to it and by the end of the break, we were back from the beach in under ten mins. Overall, it was a nice break and I would consider returning to this hotel next year.

• Liked — lounge area and pool
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
wiltshire
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Having read some of the previous reviews, I was a little apprehensive. However, once I was there I was glad to be! I came with my boyfriend (both 20) his mum and dad and brother (17) for 2 weeks in sept.

Rooms 8/10.......................... The rooms were basic, but fine for me and my boyfriend. The beds were really comfortable and I’ve never slept so well! We had a nice view of the pool and could watch the entertainment on the balcony if we wanted. This might not be seen as a plus for young families as it could be loud in the evenings. Rooms with sea views were available (however we didn’t know this when we booked) and had amazing views over Palma nova. The fridges in the rooms were an added bonus and the aircon was really nice to come back to after a hard days sunbathing! The hairdryer in the bathroom was also good; however it made the bathroom unbearably hot so I was glad I took my own.

Pool 6/10.............................. Through no fault of the hotel (as the trees don’t belong to them) there are big trees over the main pool meaning it went into shade early in the day. The pool was always a nice temperature and the lifeguard is there pretty much all day. No inflatables are allowed in the pool, which is annoying when u want to sunbathe on your lilo! The children’s pool was on a lower level and is in the sun all day; this pool is really shallow so children are a lot safer than in the main pool which gets deep straight away. As a result sun beds go fast here, so you will need to be up early to reserve them. The pool bar near the children pool is reasonably priced; around 4 Euros for a chicken and bacon baguette with crisps or 2.50 for curly fries (will prob feed 2 or 3). Drinks are pretty pricey, around 2 or 3 Euros for a coke or 2 Euros for small water. We bought the water here once then refilled it using our big bottle we had in our room.

Food 9/10........................ I feel that I have to be fair on this review so I’m not going to pick too many faults with the food as my very fussy boyfriend loved it! I personally prefer self catering as I like to go out in the evenings and have a larger choice of what I can eat, also I wasn’t very well for a large duration of the holiday which affected by appetite (I would like to stress that this was not due to the food!) The breakfast really was truly fantastic with a full English on offer, as well as various fruits in juices, fresh fruit, meats, cakes, yogurts, biscuits and breads (i’m sure I’ve missed something) fruit juices and hot drinks were available with breakfast but not the evening meal. The evening meal also had lots to offer with a carvery every night. There was a large supply of salads and cold meats everyday and lots of fresh bread (which I think was from breakfast as my boyfriend commented that it was a little dry) The meals usually consisted of meat stews, roast meats, spag bol, pastas, jacket potatoes, chips or wedges, chicken (sometimes red so be careful) curries and veg. I could keep going but don't want to bore, however I personally like to know the kind of food available before I book! There was also a children’s section, which had a limited amount of food, but most children ate from the main buffet too. Watch the children’s fingers though, as I saw one child burn herself on the tongs. A nice waiter came straight over checked her fingers then helped her with her food which I thought was really good. Puddings were fantastic, always a big variety of cakes, custard, jelly, ice-cream, fruits, yogurts, some kind of mallorquin mouse and a cheeseboard.

Entertainment 8/10............................................... The entertainment team (mainly Greg and Lisa) were really lively, starting at about 8.30 in the morning, and still going at 11 at night with only 1 day off a week! Entertainment usually started just before lunch, with a general knowledge quiz everyday. Daytime entertainment usually consisted of aqua aerobics (not really aqua aerobics, but another chance for the entertainment team to dance to 'big fish' and 'cartoon heroes') 5 a side football, water basketball, boules, reps v guests (lots of little activities against the reps) basketball and some kind of rounders game. I can't comment on the kids clubs as we didn't travel with any children. But from what I could see, the rooms they were held in were nice and bright and they held different themed activities everyday. Nightly entertainment usually consisted of live dance shows, comedians, reptiles shows, magic shows and rep nights (pretty poor, but at least they tried!) I feel I should comment on the other reps as well, because some people have said that they were unhelpful and were only interested in selling you excursions. Our experience with them was positive; mark was really friendly and chatty talking to me, my boyfriend and his brother about various clubs in magaluf. As was the freestyle rep Nicola who recommended places to go. Clare was also really friendly, stopping us to ask when we were going out and chatting to us in a club when she saw us.

Location 7/10............................... Although the hotel is in a perfect location between Palma nova and magaluf I have only given it a 7 because of the hills! The hill into Palma nova is a slight incline as stated in the brochure, but the hill into magaluf is a plain nightmare (even worse I could imagine with a pushchair or wheelchair) after 2 days my calves were actually hurting. We did manage to find an easier way of getting into magaluf though. If you come out of the reception and turn left as if you are going to Palma nova then turn right towards the beach you can follow the road round and it will take you into magaluf. As a result of the hills and the many steps onto magaluf beach, I would not recommend the area to people with walking difficulties. Palma nova itself is a nice family resort with plenty of shops and restaurants and unlike its neighbour is not rowdy at night. During the day the beach offers lots of water sports such as jet skis (60 Euros for half hour), parasailing and pedaloes. From previous reviews of magaluf I was a little worried (even though i'm only 20!) but at night the strip is buzzing with people who are all out to have a good time, I didn’t see a single fight and only saw 1 person be sick in 2 weeks! I wouldn't recommend it at night to young children though; it’s too loud and boisterous. Magaluf beach is also really nice, but the sea gets deep quick and the current is a bit stronger, so wouldn’t recommend for young children.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here and I was really sad to come home to rainy England! I would definitely recommend this hotel to other people especially families.

N.B: This happened to my boyfriend’s parents and brother so I feel I should mention it for other people. In the brochure it says that suites are available with interconnecting rooms. This is what they booked to allow each other some privacy. However, when we got there they were placed in a room with 4 beds that hardly had a wall, let alone separate rooms. When they enquired at reception they were told that due to a fault with Thomson they were selling the rooms under false pretences. When in the shop we booked a suite for a family of 4, if we had booked a suite for a family of 5 they would have had separate rooms. Just thought I’d warn you that if you want privacy, even if there are only 3 of you, you're going to have to pay supplements to get the extra side room and a suite for a family of 5, not 4!

• Liked — daytime and evening entertainment, friendliness of staff.
  • Disliked — The hill!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank x_gemz_x
scottish
Reviewed September 21, 2008

I stayed at Marina Torrenova in august for 2 weeks with my family. I found all the staff friendly and helpful. The food was mixed, they were different theme nights which meant the food could be a little unusual bt there stil was a salad if all else failed.

The rooms were nice but needed a little updating. The entertainment was varied, with acts like beatles n U2 which were very good. Greg and Lisa put so much energy and enthusasim into everyday which made the entertainment enjoyable. They are the perfect duo.

All thomson staff were friendly and approachable and made sure your every request was sorted esp Claire and Mark. My two children went regularly to the kids club, they won prizes and certificates and were very upset to leave. I found all the staff kind n approachable, my childrens favourites were Kurly Wurly Kirsty and Smiley sarah.

I would definetly stay at this hotel again!!!!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — the hill
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Leicester
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Have just got back from 10 days at the Marina Torrenova. The hotel itself was excellant, very clean with friendly staff and good choice of food.
However it is up a fairly steep hill which most brochures don't tell you and when we visited it was over run with screaming kids. I knew it was a family club hotel when we booked it but was not prepared for the amount of kids that were there.
It has made up our minds to book "adults only" hotels in future

• Liked — Cleanliness/ friendly staff
  • Disliked — up hill position
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Wow! What an amazing holiday?!

This was booked just 3weeks before our departure date, very last minute. As we arrived at the hotel the staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a meal put up for us that night which was lovely.
The Breakfast consisted of bread rolls, toast, jam , full english, fruit, yoghurts, cold meat, cheese, crackers. Loads of Stufff!
The Tea was always varied with plenty of choice and of a good quality. You would not find yourself going hungry at all! There was plenty of choice for the children each day!
The Thomson entertainment was fantastic with the most energetic bunch of people they could have wished for. The kids club was great too its lovely if you want a couple of hours of to relax!
The location was superb just a minute walk down the road there was a local shop and the beach was about a 3minute walk. Magaluf was literally 5minutes away but don't be put off by this because there was never any disturbance!
The entertainment team, 2/6 bar staff and every person on holiday there was from Britain! I can honestly say there were no foreign voices amongst us. So the fight for the sunbeds wasnt to bad!
Make sure your feet are dry before you attempt to go to your room because you are likely to go flying on the marble floor if you don't!
The rooms were lovely, basic but nice. With a TV, Fridge good air cconditioning and a huge mirror in the toilets ladies!

• Liked — The Beach!
  • Disliked — The marble floors during the day
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank x-windsor-x
Essex
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We have just returned from a fabulous 2 week stay at this Hotel. First impressions were very good, reception staff could not do enough to help, thanks go to Jose who, without doubt, simply bends over backwards to be as helpful as he possibly can be.
We requested, and were given a high floor room with a pool view which was very clean and tidy, although in need of a little TLC, I think some new furniture and a lick of paint is needed.
The air conditioning worked perfectly, and we needed it, it was very hot.
The rest of the hotel was also kept very clean, and was in a good state of repair.
My main gripe is that there are notices asking people not to reserve the beds around the pool, however, this was not enforced and on many ocassions at 8.0am there was not a bed to be had, and a large percentage of those taken were never actually occupied all day, and not a German in sight !!!!!!!!!!
The first night the food was very good, and we thought we had chosen a winner, however the longer we were there the more boring, and inedible it became, there was a very good choice, both for breakfast and dinner, but it all had a very strange taste, and the meat was somewhat odd in texture. The rice dish each night, despite what name they gave it, all tasted the same. Needless to say we eat out a few nights during our stay just to fill ourselves up, but I have to say we are particularly fussy eaters, so please don't take this as a negative comment, you may very well enjoy the food.
Now to come to the hill, We are all fairly fit, although perhaps a touch over weight, but my kids, now in their twenties, are very fit, but still it was a bit of an effort to clamber back from the beach, or to return after a night out, we found ourselves getting taxis at night just because we couldn't face walking up again in the heat, having been up and down a couple of times during the day.
However, they can't move the hotel down to the beach, so it was a small price to pay to stay in such a good hotel.
We looked around at some of the other hotels in the area, and felt that this hotel was by far the best, and with very little effort and not a lot of money could very easily become a 4 star.
All the staff were very, very helpful and friendly and can't be praised enough. The same can't be said for the Thomson rep's however, they seemed very aloof and only appeared friendly on the outside, they would quite happily ignore you if they could see no one was watching them, this was more obvious with the entertainment team than the others, but still not good by any of them other than young Mark who in his first year as a rep, done a very good job.
The poor exchange rate makes the whole place very expensive, so take an extra few hundred pounds with you, you will certainly need it.
We will certainly go back again, in a couple of years, but will also take a close look at the other hotels in the Marina Group as possible options for next year, as if they are all of a similar standard to the Torrenova I don't think we will be disappointed.

• Liked — Friendlines of staff
  • Disliked — Position
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family