“very poor” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Palmanova
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“very poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Upon arrival the hotel looked extremely dated and was very quiet. We checked in and the man behind the desk demanded a 180 euro deposit straight away which we were not informed about what so ever before this point. When we got into our room which was on the ground floor, we discovered the patio door would not lock so we informed the reception who sent down their security guard who pretended to fix the door and pretended he could not open it and it was locked. I then tried it myself and realised it was still unlocked and he then pushed the sofa against the door and said that noone would be able to get in now. I explained as we were on the ground floor and anyone could just jump over and asked if we could have another room he said no and said to wait until the morning when the maintenence men would look at it. which i did not find satisfactory. i then asked if we could use the safe for free of charge just overnight until the door was fixed and they declined saying the people in charge of the safe were not there until the morning.
the maids came in daily to 'clean' the room. most nights we would go out and have a few drinks in the apartment before hand. we would leave our half/full bottles in the room expecting to drink them the next night. well after a day at the pool we returned to find all our alcohol and food gone! these were not empty they were full! we found the maids trolleys full of all our stuff and informed reception who did not care.
on the last day we were there we checked out a while before our flights and requested to use the complimentary shower room (which was just a shower in a tiny room) and obviously needed towels but the reception would not allow us to and said they were only for guests.

we were there in first weeks of september and expected it to be quite lively and busy. the pool area was dead every day, the entertainment was embarrassing and the cafe rarely opened.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank rachelsxo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My experience of the hotel changed, I stayed there for 10 days. On the first week the pool was very clean but on but on my ninth and tenth day standards slipped to a disgusting level. A soggy biscuit had been left in the pool for 3 days it was still floating on the surface on my 10th day after originally seeing it on the 7th day. The pool had bits of hair among an array of other disgusting items. Considering what I had paid for the accommodation I did not think this was an appropriate standard of hygiene. I've given this a 3/5 because on my first week the hotel deserved a 5/5 but the end of the holiday the hotel was so disgusting it deserved to be a 1/5. In saying this it is located close enough to Magaluff that you can walk without being caught up in the mayhem and loud noise at night. The room is basic but has everything you would want and the balcony though small has a nice view.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Anna W
Eastleigh, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Rosa was in a great location.
five minute walk to the main strip of Magaluf, Palma Nova Beach was litterally across the road, pool was always clean, plenty of sunbathing space aswell! room was fantastic. we was in the newly renovated part of the hotel! a huge wet room, and a great sized balcony.
Will definatly come back to Rosa.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

we spent a week here very nice clean hotel food very good easy to get to every where from here very close to beach bars and night life would go back again very good value for money rooms very clean the food is very good value for money

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Susan F
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My experience of the hotel changed, I stayed there for 10 days. On the first week the pool was very clean and but on my 9th and 10 day standards slipped to a disgusting level. A soggy biscuit had been left in the pool for 3 days it was still floating on the surface on my 10th day after originally seeing it on the 7th. The pool had bits of hair among an array of other disgusting items. Considering for what I had paid for this accommodation I did not think this was an appropriate standard of hygiene. I’ve given this a 3/5 because on my first week the hotel deserved a 5/5 but by the end of the holiday the hotel was so disgusting it deserved a 1/5. In saying this it is located close enough to Magaluf that you can walk without being caught up in the mayhem and loud noise at night. The room is basic but has everything you would want and the balcony though small has a nice view.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ana-wallace
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Brilliant place to stay and very near magaluf and Palma nova. Plenty of bars and night life! Med ped is close by to those who want to hire a moped or a motorbike! Lovely place and would stay again for sure

• Stayed October 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here approximately 10 years ago for a family holiday and had a great time.

This September I finally got the chance to return and headed out with one of my friends, to meet another couple who were staying elsewhere.

First impressions were not good. Upon arrival, after waiting a good 5-8 minutes despite being the only ones in the queue, we were informed by a lousy receptionist that a 100 Euro deposit was to be made. When I asked why, he said it was in case we have a beach party in the room and trashed the place, and that it was "management policy" for guests. Later in the week, we discovered that the deposit was at the management's discretion and spoke to numerous groups who were never made to put down a deposit!

Now I can understand this at the cheaper, "lively" hotels that cater for party animals, but I'm 28, sensible and specifically paid more to avoid this kind of environment. Worse still, the unannounced deposit resulted in us having less money on the holiday - to the point I had no money on the final day until the deposit could be claimed back.

Other guests were not asked for a deposit (likely on account of their age), and some received an upgrade free of charge. Insultingly, we were placed in the scruffiest rooms (we ordered studio). Ground floor overlooking the back of the hotel, which was clearly intended for troublemakers and next to a large group of Spanish youngsters who played music at all hours. This really was the worse corridor in the hotel.

The first room was unacceptable - the worst I've ever seen. The bathroom light did not function, the balcony door had a horozontal crack, and electrics were hanging off the walls. Needless to say, we complained and got another room - still on the ground floor but in better condition. It wasn't great but it was an improvement on the first.

Noise was a factor for the first three nights, but after that it went quieter. However, the maids are rather noisy up and down the corridors and often chat to themselves by shouting. So what we gained with the noise reduction in the next room, the maids/maintenance staff made up for towards the end of the week.

Some other points to consider:

- No tea was served at the bar area, despite coffee being available! I was informed of this by a member of the bar staff. This is like having salt but no pepper.

- The bathroom sink was actually outside of the bathroom, next to the beds and often leaked. Upon closer inspection, we could see damp climbing the walls beneath the sink.

- The hotel just loves deposits: table tennis, pool, etc all require a deposit of 5 Euros or more.

- The clothes maiden was falling off the balcony wall when we arrived. We didn't want to touch this in case it compromised our deposit and ignored it until the end of the holiday.

To sum up, massive difference to my first experience at the Rosa del Mar and I will not be returning. It's unfortunate they treat British under 30s with so much contempt. Make sure you're at least 45 or above to claim the better rooms if you must stay here. The main plus is the Rosa is centrally located to Palma Nova and Magaluf. The pool area is OK but lacking atmosphere. That's the end of my review.

Room Tip: Level 2 has the best rooms, some on the ground floor need gutting they're so bad. Third floor is...