“Good apart from the food!”

Hotel Ibersol Son Caliu Mar
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
Manchester
“Good apart from the food!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my 5 year old son in April for 4 nights. Overall I was happy with the price paid, the hotel was well presented reception area very welcoming. I could have no complaints with the room, the balcony was big as was the room and the bathroom was modern. In fact if I was just commenting on the room and common areas of the hotel I would give 5/5. There were also sunbeds beside the pool available when needed however the pool was very cold most of the time.

The all inclusive bar was sufficiently stocked and you could help yourself to sangria, beer and soft drinks as well as wine in the restaurants. Some all inclusives i have been to before the drinks seemed diluted but this wasn't the case here. I have read a few reviews complaining you had to get spirits from the bar staff but I don't see why this was a problem?!

Now for the food. No complaints about breakfast, great choice and everything was fresh. Lunch and dinner however were a different story. I found the food to be of very poor quality, what meat there was on offer was very fatty and choice was limited to say the least! We ate out the last 2 nights due to this. Also as I was alone with my son we would walk to get another drink only to find our table had been cleared when we got back.

The comments about the French entertainment are also true however I don't see this as a major problem and overall I was happy with my stay it was just a shame about the food

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week in April 2014 and we're initially attracted to it as a result of reading some glowing reviews online. These reviews were incredibly accurate as the hotel was clean, well maintained & operated by friendly & efficient staff. Despite the hotels clientele being predominantly French, there were still a number of British holidaymakers staying as well. The staff on reception and the management could all speak English and helped us out with anything we asked of them, this included swapping the faulty hairdryer in our room for a brand new one within 30 minutes of reporting the issue. The food was good and there was lots to choose from & the hotel is only 5 - 10 min walk away from the beach at Palma Nova where there are a number of shops and bars to visit should you wish to venture out. We are very satisfied and would gladly stay here again. Great hotel & great holiday!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew M
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Me and my friend booked a last minute holiday to Son Caliu, we were worried beforehand based on the reviews of previous customers. Nevertheless based on our very own experience we could not fault it !
Firstly the room was lovely, weather was great, polite staff, great overall atmosphere, good drinks, fantastic location a 10 minute walk to Palma Nova beach and gift shops, with a Lidl local. Food was yummy, sometimes repetitive but that's what you get when you're a fussy eater - like me !!! Nice afternoon snacks served in the restaurant. Based on a quiet relaxing holiday we did however end up going into Magaluf which was brilliant a 10 minute taxi ride costing €6. This holiday is great for couples, families and friends was nice to see different age ranges!
The only possible fault was the entertainment of an evening during the day it was fantastic great for getting involved in Zumba, Aqua sports and games etc. However as the hotel entertainers are French but speak English very well they have "club lookea" which is aimed mainly towards the French - if it was comedy night it would be hard to watch as it was spoken in French. Other than that we had a brilliant holiday and hope to return in September for another week! Brilliant time and would recommend it for all !!!!
ENJOY, Emmie!

Room Tip: 2041 fantastic big room, king sized double bed looking onto the pool side!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Emmie T
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Having Spent a week at the Sol Caliu Mar ( not the beach club) from 11th - 18th April 2014, I feel I have to write a review of this hotel.
First of all lets talk about the positives of the hotel. The rooms we had were, I was told were the refurb rooms, I don't know when they were done up but ours rooms had broken, chipped tiles on the floor, the shower if put on to a average pressure it flooded the bathroom, but these are minor problems, the rooms themselves were larger than normal with two larger than normal single beds and a two seat sofa bed, I requested two adjacent rooms with pool views which we got no complaints there.
The main pool area is large, with a large pool. This got busy very quickly with sun beds getting reserved at 7am. We used the other pool area at the rear of the hotel which you could get a sun bed without any problems. This area had a children's pool with a beach entrance a perfect area for families.
The food was eatable always a choice with meat and fish and pasta for lunch and evening meals. The breakfast was your typical sausage bacon ect.
Entertainment was a joke if you are English speaking, all that went on was in French infact 80 per cent of the hotel guests were French. When we were there it was a bit cold for the entertainment to take place outside so it was in a theatre with no bar and if you were any distance from the front you could not see, but as the temperature gets warmer in the evenings this also should not be a problem.
The bar, everything was in plastic. even when inside plastic, you helped yourself to wine , soft drinks, and bear yourself, but local spirits the bar staff poured that (small ones) also you could not get a pint of bear, the biggest plastic cup 200ml , less than half a pint. There was a sports bar attached to the hotel this was the only place you could sit at night and at the bar they would charge you for some local drinks, even for water.
Overall I would not use this hotel again they are a lot more better 3* hotels in palma nove.

Room Tip: As far as I am led to be leave all room are the same although some have been refurbed. Dont get a ro...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ianhunt777
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Don't book this hotel if you're looking for a relaxing holiday.

Upon arrival 12/04/14 we were told by THE RUDEST male receptionist that we actually didnt have a room at this hotel because their was a problem with the plumbing, and we had to go stay in a different hotel for 4 days. What an absolute nightmare!!!! What kind of hotel does this? The worst thing about this was that this plumbing issue was such a blatant LIE!! Another couple who arrived at the same as us threw a massive strop and some how they managed to get a room?!?!?!? Is this how it works then?! In order to actually be given a room in our hotel we had to argue and fight for it? Talk about double standards!!!! Was the receptionist instructed to give rooms to only those who put up a fight? Absolutely unbelievable.

After 4 days at our other hotel we didn't even want to return to the ibersol. We had already experienced the rude staff and were not keen to experience it again. But low and behold they forced us to return. Literally forced us. Basically saying that we could either come back or sleep on the streets of majorca. Girls if you like crying on holiday i suggest you come here!!

Holiday totally ruined and all thanks to this shamble of a hotel. Do not make the same mistake we did. Unless of course you enjoy being moved backwards and forwards to two different hotels.

Absolute disaster. Management should be ashamed of themselves.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Palmanova hotels

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from this hotel last night.
My overall review would be okay on a budget and for what we paid £20 each per day it was okay for a short break.
Good points - room cleaned daily, weather very good for time of year mid 20's, food okay always something to eat.
Bad points - no air conditioning working went to reception on 2nd day to complain nothing got done, sun beds you have to up at the crack of dawn to get a bed, restaurant was like a cattle market especially yesterday as coaches full of other clients arrived, no crockery left, children running wild parents not controlling them at all, evening entertainment nothing catered for the English clients, sports bar open very damp smell, the worse bit of the holiday was you drank out of plastic cups 0.20litres around pool which I agree with but not on an evening.
Be careful when checking out as we hired pool towels at 10euros per towel, when I went to return them the guy on reception told me I hadn't checked out, I told him that we checked out with you this morning, he then went to speak to another member of staff came back 20 minutes later with my money, I asked what the problem was he said no problem!!!
Wouldn't return to hotel.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank RochdaleEmilie
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Just back from this hotel had booked a four night stay and ate out two evenings. The restaurant is not well organised too many people trying to get to the food, this does lead to tables not being prepared and you do have to look for your own glasses, cutlery etc. Had the same problems with wifi and air conditioning as previous reviews, with so many people at the hotel I feel they need to 'police' towels getting put on beds, the beds next to ours lay empty for over 4 hours! most staff work hard but more staff are required. This hotel needs to improve before it can be called a 4 star.

Stayed April 2014