Hotel Son Caliu Spa Oasis
$145
$159
$155
  • Pool
Alua Palmanova Bay(Palmanova)(Great Value!)
$106
  • Restaurant
$214
$184
Travelocity
Zafiro Palmanova(Palmanova)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsprivate beachindoor poolpalma novaquiet arearelaxing breakminute walkbuffet breakfastmini barshort breaksea viewsteam roomstandard roombottle of champagnesun loungersbus stophotel guestslate flight
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Since most travellers read first lines of reviews, I would briefly say Son Caliu is a definite must go for everyone who wants to have a relaxing vacation. Gorgeous lounges in the hotel, fantastic green hotel area drowning in trees and flowers, great helpful and attentive staff, own beach with free sunbeds (a very rare case for Spain), free spa zone, live music every evening - all for very reasonable money. For those who go further to read this review: when we were looking for a hotel to stay in Mallorca we were looking for a quiet place for a limited budget. The fotos on Tripadvisor, despite very good reviews and ratings, did not promise much. However we were very pleasantly surprised once we arrived last week. The hotel looks very modest from outside - but once you get inside, the opinion is very different. Very nice staff, always helpful, speaking multiple languages, really caring for customers and their needs. Our departure flight was delayed 7 hours (quite usual in Mallorca in high season) and we were extended the room for free for 7 hours without any problem. Spa area is very nice - with several different saunas, pool, garden, and always mostly empty - ideal place to stay between 1 and 3 pm when the sun is really strong outside. Each evening there 's dinner available (if you pay in advance for all your stay - comes out a very good bargain) - accompanied by live music from different bands or solo singers (Ruben, one of them, really rocks!). Every Wednesday there's a cocktail party and gala dinner - when you are served 5 or 6 very tasty dishes , champgane and snacks, and have a good opportunity to chat with hotel management. Joan Vicens, Director of the hotel, is a very charming man with great care for tourists and neverending work for improvements. In winter the hotel will refurbish the rooms while the prices will stay the same - this will make the hotel number one in Palmanova and beyond for sure! If you do not want to stay on the small beach of the hotel - you can walk 3 minutes to municipal beach - but the problem there is not only a huge number of people, but very limited area for swimming in the sea. The hotel itself is close to everything - bus stop to all directions (30 mins to Palma), big supermarket, Palmanova beach, etc., and at the same time far enough from hustle and bustle of the other part of Palmanova - with numerous hotels, noisy traffic and night crowds. I would definitley recommend this hotel to anyone looking for quiet, relaxing vacation for reasonable budget. Many thanks to the hotel staff for making a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank DolceF_Niente
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This was a bonus find as we booked last minute. It's a great location, ten to fifteen minutes max by car to centre of Palma. The new rooms are the ones to request. I think the old ones are quite dated. The spa is super and the pool is on the edge of a little beach if you want a dip in the sea. It's on the very quiet side of Palma Nova but we simply used it as a base for exploring the south west of the island. Five minutes by car to swish Puerto Portals and ten minutes the other way to Magaluf for the teenagers.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank genevieve_7
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed in the Hotel Son Caliu during a week of filming on the island of Majorca during the month of June 2011. The hotel is located approximately 30 minutes car ride from PMI airport.

Location:
The hotel is located just to the North East of Magaluf in the area of Palma Nova, a lot quieter and removed from the hustle and bustle of chaotic party strip, as such this hotel caters quite nicely for families looking for a quieter island holiday as well as couples who are looking to dip into the party atmosphere whilst not selling their souls to the bars and madness that is on offer a short distance away. Location is quiet and an ideal base o explore the island from.
The hotel boasts its own private beach (shared with only locals and 1 or two self-catered apartments) at the foot of the hotel complex. The hotel also has a decent sized private pool in landscaped gardens, providing shade and areas to hang out in.

The hotel is classed as 4* and provides the mod cons you would expect. Towels and sheets are clean, the beds are comfortable and the rooms are spacious. I had black-out curtains in my room, which helped to keep the room dark and cool in the mornings as the sun rose. Rooms on the 1st floor have large balconies with deck chairs to hang out on, whilst rooms on higher floors will have smaller balconies. The hotel is equipped with wheelchair access throughout.
A criticism I would have however is that the windows aren't double glazed, this would probably make them cold in winter and certainly doesn't help with heat in the summer. The window frames are aluminium and not very high quality, but after checking out other buildings this seems to be the case for the majority of installations.
The room also lacked air conditioning, or at least the control panel did not work or only provided a blower function to circulate the air.
Another little niggle I encountered was that the hotel charged extra for hire of a safe key to operate the safe inside the rooms. Although only a minimal amount, I would expect a 4* hotel to provide a free room safe and not to charge extra for this. They have obviously had problems with lost and misplaced keys, but it would make more sense to charge those patrons that lose the keys than impose a blanket cover charge on everyone wanting to keep their passports and valuable safe.
There was also a problem with my bathroom in that it was incredibly 'lound' in terms of being able to hear other peoples waste water as they had showers or flushed their toilets. On closer inspection, there was some kind of service hatch in the bathroom wall which had obviously seen some work to it and the panel door not replaced with an adequate replacement, thus letting the sounds of the plumbing emanate out of it. A small problem, but nevertheless niggly.

The staff are very friendly and the breakfast buffet pretty extensive, offering fresh fruits, cold meats and warm food such as omelettes and fresh fried eggs and bacon. Some complimentary bubbly is also on offer for those wishing to start the day off that way.

The garden bar is operated by friendly staff and provides snacks and drinks. Having come back regularly at odd hours due to the filming schedule, the bar staff were always helpful and were able to provide us with sandwiches, even though the kitchen was officially closed. Well done guys!

The hotel provides complimentary Internet access via WiFi or there is a shared desktop computer in the hotel lobby. There is also free parking just outside the hotel, but it does operate on a first come first served basis. I never had any problems finding parking though, no matter what time I returned to the hotel.
I didn't have time to try the spa facilities but did see the gym instructor advertising the fact that there were free pilates classes happening.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to couples and families with children. The hotel is large enough for people not to feel they are sitting on top of each other. Staff are friendly and the hotel is located to be far enough away from Magaluf centre as not to suffer noise and nuisance, but close enough to get there if you wish.

Room Tip: As always, ask nicely and see what they say.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank the_moomins
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I “escaped” to the Son Caliu halfway through my time on Majorca.

Why’d I move here?... Well compared to my first hotel the pool /beach/Bar & grill area alone was what convinced me that this is where I needed to be.

I was staying at another hotel in Maglluf but after meeting my friend that booked her stay, I decided to move to this hotel… The front desk staff was really helpful in our transition to the hotel and even suggested that I also check the rates on booking.com against their rate.

There are lots of families here even some with young children but you don’t really notice because it’s not like they were yelling & screaming everywhere. When I originally visited mid-day the pool area while busy wasn’t overly crowded and there were still plenty of lounge chairs available. Additionally just beyond the pool area there is a portion of beach for those that want to stick their feet in some sand… The hotel also provides beach towels for their guests.

Breakfast was included in our room rate, there was a pretty good selection and they even had champagne for mimosas. For lunch the patio grill is open and they serve a variety of grilled meats & a vegetarian option, I would recommend dining there at least once. For dinner the buffet is open again… but be sure to check that it’s included in your stay, I didn’t and paid 25 euro for my mistake… the dinner buffet isn’t bad.. I just didn’t think it was worth the price… additionally just outside the hotel, behind the pool area there is another restaurant that we went to during our stay that was also pretty good and not overly pricey…

The room was clean, had AC , my beloved Wi-Fi and spa robes in the closet… very comfortable

At the Son Caliu my friends also made use of the spa to use the 2 saunas, 2 steam rooms (herbal & salt) and two different showers. I think at check-in they also gave us a pass to attend a Pilates class. I thought this was all pretty nice because I’m used to hotels or cruise lines in the States making you purchase a day pass to visit the spa facilities...

The hotel is in a quiet area… and I guess it’s a great location for exploring the island; my friends drove around all day with the recommendations provided by the front desk staff and were even able to find parking at the hotel in the evening when they returned.
I would also say that the customer service here is really good. They were pretty responsive the few times we needed something either with bringing toothpaste up to the room or ensuring that the AC worked properly for in my friends’ room…

Overall I would definitely make this my base of operations if and when I return to Majorca. I could easily spend my entire time here and not want to leave the property… I’m glad I didn’t stick it out at my original hotel…

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank shaste80
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We have just returned from a long weekend at this lovely hotel which was like stepping back in time with regards to professionalism and standards. Good standard hotels used to be like this but much has changed and not always for the better throughout the world. This hotel knows how to please discerning clients. Fantastic location, beautiful bay, superb quality breakfast and one of the best housekeeping services we have ever encountered and we are extremely seasoned travellers with high expectations. If you are looking for a good quality, peaceful hotel in a very pretty bay but with a main resort within easy walking distance then do consider son caliu oasis and spa. I feel sure we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple