“great hotel but staff let this place down”

Sotavento Apartments
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Magaluf
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“great hotel but staff let this place down”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

You can see from the other reviews that this hotel is in a great location (the hill really isn't a problem!!!), with good size rooms and more than reasonably priced. The only big issue we had was with the additional charges and the attitude of some of the staff. Being stung with a £80 deposit out of nowhere on arrival is pretty annoying. Some of us hadn't even changed our money at this point - so a bit of advanced warning would be helpful. Having a couple arguing with reception over items apparently missing from their room, and trying to get their deposit back, made us even more hesitant about handing over our cash.

We had a good week though, bar a few run ins with the manager/ security staff over pre drinks noise in our rooms. He was VERY MOODY about this!

Our biggest issue was when we came to check out. I don't know what level of cleanliness the hotel is expecting from customers but washing everything up and putting everything in the bin seems not to be enough. manager was pissed that we hadn't come down to reception to ask for a bin bag to put our rubbish in! we were then stung with a 55 euro charge for a cushion! wherever the cushion is, and if it even exists, i don't know. we certainly didn't nick it! felt like a massive con to skim some extra money off us - and with a plane to catch, you're not going to hang around to argue the toss are you!?

other problems:
- cleaners don't really clean. our rooms were covered in sand permanently.
- no bowls - just shallow plates.
- beds uncomfy and not enough bedding (we went in april so still quite cold)

on the plus side:
- hotel is clean
- bar staff generally very friendly
- great location
- great price

stayed april 2013

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Katie M
Peter D, Director of Sales at Sotavento Apartments, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hi Katie,

I am obviously disappointed to see your review headline about our hotel. I understand that you were with the same party who left a previous review about a 55€ charge. I have answered this review today and due to an error on our part have apologiesed and agreed to refund the full amount charged.

In your review you state that this is " a con to skim extra cash", however as explained this was a genuine mistake which we will of course refund to your party. In reality any hotel that were to operate something like you suggest would be exposed to all by social media sites such as this, so whilst I understand that you were annoyed/disappointed to accuse the hotel of operating a "scam" is a little harsh.

I can not see from your review where you made your reservation to stay with us, but like a lot of other apartments in Magaluf we do make a deposit charge at check in, currently 80€ per apartment. This is clearly notified when you make a reservation at our website and included in all of our agents descriptions including agents such as Alpharooms, Thomas Cook, Travel Republic etc. I am sorry that your were not told this by your agent when you made your reservation but we do advise everyone in every way possible about this charge. Looking at past reviews this is the first complaint we have had so I guess it speaks for itself that most people are aware of this deposit.

I am sorry that the hotel team had to ask you to keep the noise down in your apartment. However we do have to consider the needs of all of our guests and whilst we understand everyone is here to have an enjoyable stay, we have to consider all guests staying at the hotel.

I hope I have answered all of the points in your review and the other review left by a member of your party.

If the lead name on the reservation wants to contact me about the refund I will of course process this immediately.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Peter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last April/May for 4 days with 2 friends. We booked a room for 3 people, but upon arriving, there were only 2 beds in the room. I went down to the front desk and told them and they informed me that the two bench/couches in the room substituted as beds.... The benches and a very plasticky, uncomfortable cushion and should NEVER be considered a bed. It was very odd.

However, the location of the hotel was good! (Minus the semi steep hill to get from the beach back) I was also unaware that Magaluf would be so jersey shore like, so that was an interesting experience. But the scenery was beautiful and we rented a car one day (which was very easy to do through the front desk) and explored the island which was breathtaking.

• Stayed May 2012
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us last year.

I note from your profile that you were visiting Mallorca from the USA. In apartments in European beach resorts it is standard practice to have 2 single beds in the bedroom and then 2 sofa beds in the lounge. I am sorry you were disappointed by this arrangement however we do clearly advertise this in our website and all of our agency partners. I know and appreciate that this differs from arrangements when you tavel in the USA.

Magaluf is renowned for its nightlife and is particularly popular with you people and groups of friends travelling together, and is also famous for its connection with "Geordie Shore" the UK equivalent of Jersey Shore.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay in Mallorca.

Regards.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last week with a hen do for 8 girls. For the majority of our stay we were having a great time. We had chosen this specific place to stay as it was near to the beach/bars and also because it was very cheap to stay here.
On first impressions we were pleasantly surprised on how clean and modern our rooms were. Perhaps a little small in the bedroom, but for the price it seemed worth it. The bar staff were also very friendly and helpful, but unfortunately our stay has been tainted by a very deceitful experience.

When we had checked in we were asked to sign an endless form detailing how much things in the room would cost should they be broken/stolen. We signed this straight away as despite being a hen party we are also not inconsiderate pissheads hell bent on destruction. However upon checking out of the rooms we were asked to come back to go through this list and it then became immediately apparent that the man conducting this check with us was going to "find" some issue with the items in our rooms. In the first room apparently we had lost a cup, and in the second it was a missing cushion. A cushion so precious it cost €55. In fact, a cushion so precious it cost more than we each paid for a week's stay and yet still managed to look like it was fashioned from an old Abba costume.
Now, had all this been helpfully outlined at the start of the stay we would have begrudgingly paid the €55 and sloped off to catch out flight...but absolutely nowhere on anything we had or hadn't signed did it outline exactly how many cushions should belong in each room at any time.
Just in case you are in any doubt of this obvious scam, when we were checking in we saw a couple arguing with reception over a similarly "missing" item.
If you do still want to stay here you will have to be mega organised and get them to come up to the room to witness what exactly is there the moment you step through the door. If you just drop your bags and head out you'll find yourself with an unexpected bill at the end.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Lotbean
Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I am obviously very concerned that you left the hotel feeling you had been "conned" and have since carried out a full investigation as this is certainly not normal for our property as I am sure you can see from all of the other reviews on this site.

It appears that we made a mistake when reviewing your apartment on check out for which I apologies.

I understand that a member of our houskeeping team took a cushion from your apartment to clean it, however unfortunately this was not communicated to the reception team who were advised at check out that it was missing. It is standard procedure to make a charge for items that were missing, however the charge made was incorrect and even if missing should not have been 55€.

I can assure you that there was no intention to "con" anyone and this was an isolated and genuine mistake by our team. We will of course refund you in FULL the 55€ you were charged, please contact me via email to arrange for this money to be refunded to you.

I note from your review that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay and I am sure you will agree when you look at the other reviews left by our guests that this is an isolated incident for which I apologise and will of course refund you the money charged.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We are a party of 8 age 45 to 50. Even though this hotel is very popular with hens, stags and the younger generation due to the party atmosphere,we were still made to feel very welcome and cared for by all of the staff. All staff are friendly and work extremely hard to entertain and make their guest welcome, the hotel is kept very clean and modern with very high standards, nothing was too much. The hotel is situated at the top of a hill but close by to the beach restaurants and bars in magaluf. Palma nova is a 20 minute stroll along the beach front or a 5 min taxi ride for 6 euros. I would return to the hotel early season but would definitely leave July and August to 18s to 30 year olds but only as magaluf is well known for that age group. Thanks again to all the staff for a clean,well ran,friendly stay at the Sotavento. X

Room Tip: We had 3 rooms all different floors and positioning, not one of them bad.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hi,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us at Sotavento, we really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with other potential guests.

I am really pleased that you and your friends had a fantastic time with us. We are an adults only hotel and very popular with people of all ages travelling to Magaluf together. Our guest profile does change in the peak summer months (Jun-Aug), this tends to be the typical 18-30 age range, however in the low season Apr-Jun and Sep-Oct our age range is anything from 25-55!

Thanks once again for taking the time to share your views of our hotel and we very much hope that you do come back to stay with us again.

Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed there last week for my hen weekend. Was a brilliant stay. Very friendly and a clean modern place to stay. There was 27 of us and no job was too small. I will be back again and the food was also great. I have been to magaluf 5 times and this was the best hotel by far. I will never forget my stay and I'm sure they will never forget me lol x

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Peter D, Director of Sales at Sotavento Apartments, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hi Kirsty,

Thank you for leaving a review of your hen weekend with us.

What can I say - you and the girls really did make our opening weekend such a huge success. We really enjoyed having you all stay with us and from what I remember you and the girls all had a great time. I have passed on your comments to all of the team who loved looking after you all last weekend, they now want to know when you are all coming back to see us.

Good luck with your wedding and when you do want to come back to Magaluf please get in touch (Deborah has my email address) and we will get you the best deal possible.

Thanks again for sharing your experience of Sotavento, much appreciated.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

just back, after spending a few days at the sotavento this place is a must if staying in magaluf , staff are friendly , rooms well maintained and very clean, we had a pool view room 210 which was fantastic and music played by the pool each day, the hotel is situated in a great area , only down side was having to leave ,thank you sotavento for an excellent stay hopefully returning very soon .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happydays7785
Hi,

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay with us, we really do appreciate you taking the time to share your "Sotavento experience" with other potential visitors.

It is great news that you had such a good time with us and we very much hope to see you back with us some time soon.

If you do want to come back, please contact me directly and I will make sure you get the best deal available.

Thanks once again for leaving the review, much appreciated.

Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Best girls weekend away for a friends hen do staff was very welcome and they mixed with you as well nothing was to much for them. When we got there we had to change rooms cause door wouldn't lock no fuss was made they changed our room straight away would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Pauline,

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay with us, we really do appreciate you sharing your Sotavento experience with other potential travellers.

I am sorry you had a problem with the door lock on your first apartment, but its great news that our team quickly solved the problem for you and your were not inconvenienced.

We are the ideal venue for hen/stag or groups of friends travelling together and I know that you and the girls helped make our opening weekend such a great success.

We very much hope that you will come back to see us sometime soon.

Thanks again.