“Right next to the strip, not good for a quiet (or even fairly quiet) holiday”

Sol Katmandu Park & Resort
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Magaluf
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel itself isn't too bad, basic but generally clean and breakfast was good. The pool wasn't too busy and there were plenty of sun loungers. The rooms were cleaned everyday and fresh towels were put out. We enjoyed Katmandu, especially as it was free, and the restraunt Tequilla Ville, food was our favourite of the holiday, it was lovely. It was 2 minutes from the beach with plenty of bars. We stayed for 4 nights, the first night the noise coming from nextdoor was hurrendous, they partied until 3am went out for an hour then came back and continued partying. Luckily enough I had earplugs, this would be my top tip. After that I slept sound every other night. Palma nova is a nice 20 minute stroll and is much more chilled out, lovely beach, the restraunts are better there too. In short, great for youths, not for anybody over 25, and its a shame, its location more than the hotel.

Room Tip: Bring your ear plugs
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank claire h
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Claire

Thank you very much for your comments. We’re very glad that despite the noise issue you like your stay at our hotel. We’d like to inform you that in the next year we will expand Katmandu Park and add new attractions and rides. We will also open additional restaurant “a la carte” and a candy shop.
In cases of noisy neighbours like you have described it is recommended to call the reception and we would either send one of our employees or a security guard. Security guard service works at our hotel during night and day. Usually we first warn noisy guest but then if they continue disturb other people we can check them out from our hotel. We don’t tolerate such bad and disrespectful behaviour.
We planned a lot of improvements (pools, rooms, facilities, attractions) for the next year to make our hotel a perfect combination of a good location and wonderful holiday.
We invite you to see all the changes we will make with your own eyes and looking forward too greet you at our hotel again!

There are newer reviews for Sol Katmandu Park & Resort

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed a week on all inclusive at this hotel.
I'm going to mark by stars everything and later follows my review.

1.1 Security
8. Entertainment (5) *****
9. Restaurant (5) *****
10. Hotel (3) ***

1.1 Security - Well honestly Security level in this hotel is - (0)*
On our arrival 2 security guys in a reception were beating 3 drunk guys.
I don't know what they did before,but it looked like we were watching MMA Fight.
Don't get me wrong.. 3 guys were leaving and they were not looking aggressive at all.
But security guys were kicking them and beating with tonfa. From my point
of view it looked more than assault on them,because they
were heading to the door side and got beaten from behind.

1.2 Theft from our room - On 23rd of July 2013 We came back after dinner
and found that someone broke in to our room. The room looked like someone
new what they doing and were looking for value things and money. One luggage
was on the bed, the other one on the floor, items of beach bag were on the bed,
wardrobe's doors were is safe - were opened, and it seems they were looking
under the bed too (because blanket was lifted).
We went to reception and tried to explain everything. Because woman who
works in it couldn't speak English.. So we came back to the room with
Tony(that's his nick name) And you know what he said? ''Maybe there was
a mistake and someone thought that this is they room'' .......
However because of the shock of that evenings events.. we checked the
room quickly..and it looked that nothing is missing. From the 9th floor
we were moved to 5th (where was a magnetic card lock instead of key).
We didn't call the police.. as we were told they don't speak English,and
only on the next morning I find out that my gopro hero3 lcd screen is
missing. What a shame.. it was my birthday present.
Why there is no CCTV in the corridors?
Why there is only half of the hotel with that kind of locks?
Why anyone can walk in to the hotel and into your room?
Why security is beating a man with that anger? instead of showing they
martial art skills, they could start using brain and skills to protect and secure!
Why every time we went downstairs we had to repeat our self what and
when happened? If every reception suppose to have an incident report book?

2. Reception staff - Don't know what to say.. Spanish woman doesn't speak English,
Tony was acting stupid or thought that we are.. or maybe in that kind of
situations they are trained to act like this.
The blond girl who looked like Russian and the Russian guy seemed to be nice and helpful.

3. Sleep quality - This one is very simple. if you want to have a good sleep
in this hotel.. get drunk,close the balcony and put your head under the pillow.
Other wise listen toilet flushes,TV from your neighbors room,music from BCM Planet,
and youngsters in the corridors who has no sense of time and no sense of where they are.

4. Rooms - All higher floor rooms seems to have a nice view. 9th floor view
was as much the same as 5th floor. Important thing is - magnetic key at lower
floors and simple key at higher ones. All the rest is simple small details like:
At 5th floor room we had very pure lighting above the bath.
Had problems to charge my Note2(charger was buzzing)
Had problems with shaving.. it took me twice longer because of water
pressure or not even pressure but those small tap halls.
Water temperature in a shower was going up and down.And if someone
in you toilet will flush a water you will burn :)

5. Cleaners - I would give 5*, But one day beds wasn't changed,
they just put the same ones back on top. But they were doing well
all the rest days. Towels were changed every day and
every time we came back ashtray was cleaned.

6. Location - it is very close walk distance to the beach,bars,shops,Katmandu Park and BCM Planet.

7. Bar Staff - Five stars for bar staff ! Those guys are doing great job.
Good sense of humor good attitude. Can't say any bad word about them. Well done.

8. Entertainment Team - If someone break into your room,,and your mood is messed..
those guys can really cheer you up.. not on even on stage..but by being in the hotel
at lunch time.. or then you see them playing with kids. Nice team , great attitude with people of all age.

9. Restaurant - This is the Katmandu hotels SAVERS. Food was amazing..
Everything was cooked well. Huge selection from everything you can expect to everyone you see around.
Big selection of deserts made me feel like a kid again. Thank You to all the Restaurant staff.

10. We are 26-30 years old couple, We not picky.. Music from BCM wasn't bothering us.
Location was good for us. Food and drinks were amazing, we understand how
hard people work to serve us in that kind of level. But when someone breaks
into your room,and no one shows any care you feel like you spent your time
and money in wrong place.. I can say only one thing - My birthday and more
than half of our holidays were

By the way.. try to keep away from the lifts.. they were breaking every day..and believe me
this is not that lift where you want to spend more than a minute

And don't listen to they're promises.. until BCM PLANET is open this hotel never ever will become a family hotel.
About 60% of people coming to Magaluf just for party and cheap alcohol.

I emailed 2 letters to head office and I got no reply..

Thanks

Room Tip: Lower rooms has magnetic card lock! and higher ones with simple key! You can't see big differen...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pikcshuo
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2014

Dear Pikcshueo,
Thanks for your kind words about our bar staff and entertainment team.
Moreover I would like to inform you that our hotel has very strict safety standards as we are a family hotel and we ensure the comfort of our youngest customers.
Best regards

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We spent 3 nights here from Fri – Mon for a lads weekend. We picked this hotel because of its proximity to the beach (5 mins walk) and the strip (3 mins walk). The hotel is opposite BCM square which does play loud music up until around midnight, so if you are a family with young children I recommend requesting a room facing the hills towards the rear of the hotel, this should be quieter for you. In response to some reviewers commenting that families should not stay here, I would say from my point of view this would be a fantastic family hotel, the pool is great and very child friendly, there is a small children’s play area near by the pool and you have access to Katmandu Park for free between 10:00 – 18:00. As I understand it, the hotel will change their policy regarding same sex group bookings for next year which will cut down on the “party” atmosphere around the hotel. I did feel sorry for some of the families here who had to put up with shouting and banging during the early hours. I would like to think that our group were very considerate of others by keeping the noise down and closing the door with the key turned to avoid banging it shut. Sadly others were not so considerate.

Overall, I would say that this is a nice hotel. The grounds are well kept, the pool clean and safe, the rooms cleaned daily and well maintained. We only ate breakfast in the hotel, I enjoyed this, there was plenty of choice from continental to English and cereals. Should I return to Magaluf with my family I don’t think I would chose this hotel. This is nothing to do with the hotel or staff, but for the location and proximity to BCM square.

Room Tip: For a quieter nights sleep try to get a room at the rear of the hotel.
3  Thank Sunshine_Mark

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. We’re working hard to maintain the hotel and its facilities in a proper state and it is very motivating to read positive reviews on our job. As you have correctly states we really are planning to become a more family oriented hotel. This means that we’re trying to make our hotel a perfect place of stay for families as well as young people.
Of course we can’t relocate noisy places (such as BCM) away from our hotel but we’re doing as much as possible to isolate the hotel from the noise. Next year, together with the general renovation of the hotel we will install new, soundproof windows that will keep the noise away. To deal with people who come back early in the morning or during the night we will install video cameras and there is a security guard that patrols the hotel.
Thank you for your review. We will gladly welcome you at our hotel again!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed here from 20th-27th July with 5 of my girl friends. First girls holiday, so wanted to go all inclusive. Food was great, service was not so great. There was only one friendly member of staff that we encountered the whole week. The transfer on our booking said half hour, and it took 1.5 hours as the bus driver couldn't understand where we were staying. when we got there an hour later than expected our rooms were not even ready. Rooms were clean but very small, with 3rd bed in it you could barely move around. Although we had a good stay, it was not worth the money I wouldn't say. although in the middle of magaluf it is a very family oriented hotel despite what the travel agent said. This suited us well because we liked to just chill in the day, but some of the boys we met were quite disappointed and got a lot of aggro from the staff for miniscule things. The rep, Richard was lovely. Very helpful. Make sure you dress well for dinner, because the staff literally look you up and down. One woman got let in in a net top and bra, and we got sent up to the room for wearing a strapless black dress, very strange. I was also very poorly one night and the staff were very resistant to help. For us, the stay was good enough to enjoy our week in magaluf. The katmandu resort was a good laugh as well, just make sure you do your research and know exactly what it is you want on your holiday.

2  Thank kelly e

Dear Kelly,

Thank you for leaving comments about your stay at our hotel. We’re sorry for the inconveniences you had during your check-in. According to the hotel rules check-outs are made at 12 am and the cleaning ladies have time till 2 am to clean the room. We have luggage rooms where people can leave their things and wait for their rooms to be ready.
As for the rooms we’re going to renovate them in the next year so they will be bigger and divided into 3 types (standard, connecting, superior). And as you have mentioned, based merely on ethical grounds, it is really required from all our guests to change beach clothes before going to the restaurant.
As far as the staff is concerned we’re conducting special trainings to improve their performance at work and interaction with our guests thus we hope that next time you stay with us you will be completely satisfied with all services. Thank you for kinds words and remarks. We’ll be glad to welcome you again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

me and a friend chose to stay in this hotel for a week, we chose this hotel because it was close to the strip and looked like a clean decent place to stay, when we arrived we were very pleased with what we saw and thought we had got what we paid for but during our stay our stay became less and less pleasant. On our first morning we went down for breakfast and as i was going to get my food i was approached by a member of staff who very rudely told me to go back upstairs and change i was wearing a bikini with a dress over the top he was very rude about the situation and made me feel slightly embarrassed. after this incident every time i went to eat if the man was there he would look me up and down before letting me in canteen to eat. on our fourth night during my shower a panel in the ceiling fell down on my head in a panic as there was then a massive hole in the ceiling we quickly went to reception to tell them where there only reply was 'the Mechanic isn't here there's nothing we can do' we ended up apologizing to them that the incident had happened they had no interests if i was hurt or if i was okay which we thought was very rude and inconsiderate. it then took them 2 days to fix the hole in the ceiling as we had been down again to tell them that it still hadn't been fixed due to the hole in ceiling we then started to get cockroaches in our bathroom which was awful! and yet they still didnt seem interested. i only experience two polite members of staff at this hotel that were two young blonde man and female that were behind reception sometimes. overall this place was a nice hotel to stay at but the staff definitely ruined this experience for me with their rudeness i felt like they hated all English tourists, but if your going to stay at this hotel to be the strip in magaluf it if the perfect distance away.

3  Thank Imi S

Dear Imi,

We are very sorry for the inconveniences that you have confronted with in our hotel. And thank you for making remarks about what you like and what you didn’t. It is much appreciated and helps us to improve our services.
As far as our staff is concerned we try to improve the situation. We conduct different trainings aimed to improve interaction between employees and our guests as well as make their performance at work more efficient. We want to apologize that we couldn’t make your holiday perfect and we will take into account issues you have mentioned.
We hope that overall impression of the hotel was good and we will have you as one of our guests again!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've spent a week at this hotel and I enjoyed it. Since I was travelling with my wife and two kids I had some doubts at first as I had been reading comments and complaints about noise and drunk youngsters. But I was lucky, on arrival to the hotel we asked for a quiet room and we were never disturbed during our sleep throughout our stay. Yes there were groups of young people at the hotel but it’s normal for Magaluf area. The location of the hotel is just on the main strip with all bars and cafes, 5 minutes to the beach

As for the staff most of them are quiet old people but they are doing great job. The cleaning ladies would clean our room and give fresh towels every day. Usually after we came back from the beach or the pool the room was already cleaned up! Food was very diverse (salads, all kinds of meat and fish, deserts, cakes just whatever you want)

my kids were kept occupied. In the evening there are shows (terror show was amazing) besides evening shows entertainers were organizing daytime activities for kids like pirates day. One time there was a show with Boro (a big, white yeti) just at breakfast.

the Katmandu House was amazing, my kids loved it. We spent a few evenings there playing minigolf, trying 4D rides and all of it was for free because we were guests of the hotel!

The only drawback I can name is that rooms were a bit too small for four of us.

The lady from the customer service showed us project for the next year. They are going to add some rides and a big playground for children. She showed us the new room which was very lovely. My family and I are looking forward to check out all changes they planned in the next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank eddard_stark90
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear Eddard,

Many thanks for your kind words. It is so good to see our work rewarded with pleased guests!
We expect you next year, so you can see with your own eyes all the great changes that we will have in the hotel and new facilities and of course spectacular attractions where you can enjoy the whole family.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 26, 2013

i have just got home from a week in magalluf, this was my second time staying at this hotel.
ive seen other reviews about the security guards, i myself have never had any problems with them or seen them act out at other people. the maids are lovley they always say hello, they come to clean your room everyday and if your not ready for them to clean it when they 1st come in then they always return later. Food is ok, could be more variety but i always go half board so it doesnt bother me too much since i eat out alot of the time. the pool an general upkeeping of the hotel is good its always clean. and the bar staff are friendly too.

it is in a great location, its right next to the BCM and the strip and only a 5 minute walk to the beach. it can get VERY noisy, but what do you expect its magalluf, personally the noise doesnt keep me awake at night but if your looking for a family holiday or a quiet one i suggest that the problem is with the location and not the hotel.

You get free access to the katmandu resort next door (the upside down house) that was a nice bonus.

Overall i would recommend this hotel to anybody looking to be right in the center of the place, as you couldnt ask for a better location, but if your bothered by noise, music, and young people i would go somewhere further out.

1  Thank Nic F

Dear Nic,

Thank you very much for kind words. Personnel of our hotel works a lot to make your holidays smooth and nice that’s why it’s always pleasant to receive positive comments on their job. And we’re also glad that you’re satisfied with our services. It

In the next year you will be able to witness a lot of things we planned to change (new rooms, new attractions and rides, expanded Katmandu Park and much more!). We’re looking forward to welcome you at our hotel again