“Great, apart from night time noise” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sol Katmandu Park & Resort

Sol Katmandu Park & Resort
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Magaluf
Glasgow, Scotland
“Great, apart from night time noise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Can't fault the staff, cleanliness, food, location - all excellent.

The final touches to make it the Katmandu resort are in motion - on Thu 12 June the old main entrance signage was removed and replaced to match the attraction colour/design.

The free passes to the attraction are great. We didn't try any of the rides, but played the golf a lot.

The only downside to the hotel is the noise. We had an early flight to Palma so on the first day we returned to the hotel at 22.30. The room was facing BCM and even with the balcony door closed the sound of music, DJ talk and fireworks was deafening. That noise stopped at midnight, or was at least greatly reduced. However later the boom boom of music returned, presumably at the height of the night inside the club but when people were leaving early.

The next day we requested a change of room and were immediately told a room on the same floor would be ours at 1.30pm once it was vacated and cleaned. The room faced Katmandu house so quiet from that perspective; thereafter the only noise issue was other guests music/running in corridors/shouting.

In a perfect world the hotel would allocate rooms to guests in sections of the building according to age/group - so families/older folk in one half, the party lot in the other half. Easier said than done I suppose.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Antxl,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know your opinion. We are very greatful. We have merged this year with Katmandu Park creating this new Play and stay concept that allows us to give all our guest the Play Pass to join for free our Park attractions. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Mini Golf...it is a pity that you have not tried the XD Dark Ride, the 4D or the Upsidedown House....they are terrific!! Maybe next year, no?

Next year we are doing an incredible change in the hotel. 170 rooms are becoming superio rooms (The ones facing the loudest part of the street) and we already thought of this great isolated glasses. If you come again this year ask us to visit the pilot room. Sure that you will notice the differece. The 252 other rooms, are going to be also completely refurbish, and of course we are going to work in provide the best resting time to our clients.

More suprise coming next year, great rides, new restaurants, new thematic area, incredible swimming-pool...I think you will love it. We count on you next 2014.

Thanks again for your words,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Really happy we chose to stay at this hotel, overall had a great time. Rooms are modern and clean with a daily maid service. The hotel is in the centre of Magaluf, but just 5 mins either way to Magaluf or Palma Nova Beach. Easily the best thing about the hotel is free entry to Katamandu which is great.

Although, mostly happy. The hotel do need to improve two aspects:
Food: As a vegetarian, there is very little on offer apart from salads which can get repetitive. I spoke to the manager who spoke to the chef to see what they could do. I was given "Macroni" one evening which ended up as litreally a plate of pasta! The food is okay for those who aren't vegetarians, although repetetive. The food in general wasn't amazing but there was a good selection (for meat eaters). I was suprised by how little Spanish food was on offer. It would be fantastic if they had an area for this, a vegetarian area and a meat area with clear signs (which weren't often clear). In the end, we decided to eat out mostly. Others also shared this opinion regarding the food.

Service: At times, service was shockingly bad. Mainly, in the restaurant where the waiters (majority) were quite miserable. I had to approach 3 waiters one evening for a drink as they were "busy' setting up tables.. It took ages to order drinks and I didn't like having to pay straight away whilst tucked into a meal. There was no real drive in terms of service from any of the members of staff and I think if they had this, it could be great.

With those two main tweaks, I would return and recommend.

Room Tip: If you do not like the noise, request a room at the FRONT of the hotel. It can be hard to sleep with...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nkotak
Patricia_TB, General Manager at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments. I understand your point as a vegeterian, and allthoug we have a large selection of dishes in our buffet, maybe we do not satisfy all the needs for a vegetarian. After reading you I have spoken with the manager of the dinnig room to show in all the Meal Name's cards which products can be eaten by a vegetarian. We always have assorted vegs, crudites, and salads by I guess you were looking for something cook.
From now onwards we will identify our Vegs dishes with a sign, so everybody can realize that is suitable for vegetarians.
Hope this helps to satisfy in a better way your expectations next time you visit us.

Hope to see you again soon.

Patricia A. García
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I (both in our twenties) stayed at the Sol Katmandu hotel in the first week of June 2013 on a half board basis. The main reason we opted for this hotel, other than the location of Magaluf, was because of the free entry into the Sol Katmandu entertainment park, right next to the hotel itself. This proved to be a great decision as the park was excellent and completely free (between 10am and 6pm).

The park has 2 crazy golf courses - the best I have played on due to the nice surrounding scenery, a cinema showing short 4D films, a western-style shooting game, an asylum showing an eerie movie, another cinema with guns to play another shooting game (all 4 have moving chairs/seats which make the experiences a lot of fun) and an upside down house, full of quirky and cool things to see and play on. We calculated that to do each thing just once would cost approximately 50 Euros each, so having experienced all the activities on more than one occasion, we saved a lot of money.

The hotel itself had some pros and cons, just like any. The room was perfectly clean throughout our stay and the maids, who were always polite and said hello, came in every day to give fresh towels and make our beds.

The food was a bit of a mixed bag. We usually had soup and bread to start, which was always excellent. The main meals were a little hit and miss. Half of the food looked a lot nicer than it tasted, but after you try a small amount of a few things you will certainly find some meals that you like the taste of, so by the end you are always satisfied. The desserts were extremely poor. The jelly aside, all the desserts were quite unappetising, and the ones I tried were nowhere near as tasty as what you would get at home. However we didn't go on holiday for the desserts (and imagine that not many people do) so it was just a very tiny low point to the holiday as a whole.

One thing the hotel did mention is that it caters for vegetarians. This is not exactly true. Yes there are certain things there that don't contain meat, such as plain pasta, potatoes, chips, salad, fruit, veg etc, but there were not any vegetarian meals in full, such as a nut roast or a vegetable pastry or something similar. Even the peas were sometimes laced with slices of bacon. However my girlfriend is a vegetarian and even though she found herself having to piece meals together, she was happy enough to do so and was happy with the food on the whole - and the chefs did hand her a plate of plain pasta on a night where the buffet pasta contained meat.

The entertainment in the hotel was up and down. However, the quality of the hotel entertainment did not really matter to us as there is a lot going on outside the hotel and we always preferred to venture out, where the streets of Magaluf have something for everybody. There are many many bars and clubs around so no matter if your looking to party hard, drink cocktails in a bar, have a beer and watch sport, watch a live act or just have a chat somewhere, you will definitely find the right places for you. If you are looking to stay in the hotel though, some of the entertainment is good (we saw a magician who was fairly impressive) and some not so good (the dancers weren't amazing and were a little repetitive).

Another thing to mention is the board basis. We went half board and this suited us down to the ground. Firstly, you get your free passes to the park whether you're all inclusive or self catering. Secondly, because there was a lot going on outside the hotel we did not want to drink inside it, so would not have benefited from the free drinks at night (some of the alcoholic drinks are not included in the all inclusive deal, but are cheaper for those that are all inclusive). So the only other thing we would miss out on (other than a soft drink at dinner time - which you are charged for but is optional) was lunch. However, as we ate a big breakfast every day (which was fantastic everyday, which I haven't previously mentioned) we did not feel hungry until the evening meal anyway, plus we were usually outside the hotel at lunchtime. I personally would not upgrade to all inclusive unless it was for a very small amount of money.

The three pools catered for different ages. There was a small, medium and big pool, which separated young children that wanted to paddle, from adults that wanted to swim around, which was good. There was also a little park for children, table tennis, tennis and a games room - none of which we used but were there for others. One slightly disappointing thing were that there was not a big team of reps there organising activities. We spotted one doing aqua aerobics at one point, but there wasn't a board that told you what entertainment was on at what times, although we didn't hang around too long to find out. I'm sure the daytime entertainment will increase as the season moves forward through the summer months.

Even though this is a review of the hotel, a lot of the highlights of our hotel came from outside it on trips and shows. We saw the pirate show, went to the western water park, went shopping in Palma city, went go karting and went to BCM nightclub, as well as the bars and shops nearby. For this reason we weren't too bothered about the few, small negatives of the hotel, all of which were massively outweighed alone by the fact that the Katmandu park was completely free.

To sum the review up, Magaluf is the main attraction and it is just a case of picking any hotel near the shops, bars and beach, so due to the Katmandu park that was thoroughly entertaining and completely free, the food being above average and the rooms being very clean, I would choose the Sol Katmandu - you really can't go too far wrong with this one.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room that does not face BCM square as there is some background noise late at ni...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex L
Hi Alex,
It is such a pleasure reading your word. I can tell that they are written honestly and analiticaly. I like it because is having the chance of seeing my business from my guest's eyes. Thanks.

The vegeterian food is really a pendent subject. We are trying to improve and include more offer sames as we do with celiacs. It is true that we just have pasta, salads, crudites and cooked vegs, but it is difficult to adapt the specific vegetarians dishes to a buffets as the most of the clients do not enjoy tofu, or soja burgues. We keep on improving.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the park. It is awesome. And next year that we are going to refurbish all the hotel and include to our park offer more rides, it is going to be even better.

thank you for your comments and for recommend us. I will let all my team know the so we send them a bit of your enthusiasm.

Hope to see you next year.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

My name is Mia poldings. I love holidays and this hotel was just fab!! I had the time of my life and enjoyed the whole experience of the trip with th girls. If I could change one thing about the whole trip I would suggest that the drinks are made slightly cheaper at th hotel bar area and that the sheets on the bed are changed to silk as I like the feeling on my skin. Overall ten out o ten folks

• Stayed August 2012
Hi Mia,

Thank you for your comments.
We try hard to please all our guests. About your comments...THANKS SO MUCH...
I love silk also, but here won't be very practical with the summer heat. But if you visit us again just write us and we'll see what can we do to make you feel at home.

Hope to see you next year!!!
Settle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Room 529 20/05/13 to 29/05/13. Yet again my wife and I for about the fifth time have holidayed at this hotel and really enjoyed ourselves. The food is in my opinion about the best I have had abroad, though some people say it is repetitive I disagree and would say it is their choice of menu that is their problem as there is so much choice every meal time. Food to look out for is the fantastic breakfast everything you could wish for, other meal times watch for smoked salmon and poached salmon also the squid all these take beating, there is also every kind of meat that are great along with paella and curries also. The staff at this hotel very friendly and helpful, the rooms are very clean with an extremely good maid service. Entertainment the two best nights was the animation team show night Terror and the Polynesian dancers. Although close to the BCM square once the balcony door is closed could not hear a thing. The Katmandu park is great and you get unlimited access. The wife and myself are hoping to go back again later this year. All the best with your upgrading at Sol Katmandu. Peter & Sandra. (in our 60s).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter F
Patricia_TB, Director General at Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Peter and Sandra,

Thank you very much for such a kind response about our hotel. It gives as a great stimulus to work even harder and make your stay at Sol Katmandu even better.
The upgrading of the hotel is going according the plan and in the next year we will have a lot to surprise you. The food will be even more varied as we are going to add a restaurant “a la carte”, cafés and a little shop for sweets lovers. The attractions will increase in number; some of them will definitely impress you. The staff of our hotel will do our best to provide you with most memorable holidays once again.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

What a great hotel! Staff are very helpful friendly and are proud of their recently refurbished surroundings.
Rooms have been refreshed and along with new beds, mattress covers and linen and towels are a great improvement. The cleaning staff do a great job on a daily basis and were always friendly and efficient.
New reception area is clean simplistic and a great improvement on previous.

Hotel staff were very helpful arranging for transport to and from airport for 24 cyclists and their bicycles..
We've stayed at this hotel for many years and would recommend it for its value, plentiful food and friendly atmospher.

Room Tip: Rear upper floors are usually best for afternoon sun.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark J
THANK YOU MARK!!!

Reading you is an injection of energy. I will let my team knnow all your comments. Sure that will encorage them to keep on improving.

If you like what we have done this year you cannot miss what is going to be on next season...new and thrilling rides, completly refurbish hotel, new restaurant, it is going to be awesome. We count on you.

Thanks again,
Grimsby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

On arrival you are greeted by a clean, spacious entry hall and polite staff.

The rooms where clean, big enough for 2 comfortably, beds are very comfortable, tv in room.

The shower however could do with an upgrade, but apart from that the rooms are good.

The bar is big, plenty of seating areas and the bar staff were friendly. There is a pool bar and I think the area may get a little crowded in peak season, however the hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the beach.

The restaurant is large and clean, there was a reasonable choice of food and at a good standard.

If you are all inclusive you also get to use the Katmandu theme park upto 6pm, definitely worth spending a few afternoons.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GYJon
Dear Jon,

We appreciate your comments about our hotel. As far as rooms are concerned we are happy to inform you that in the next year they will all be renovated to higher standard and 3 different types of rooms will be introduced (superior, connecting and standard rooms). The territory for the guests will be expanded as well so there will be plenty of space for everyone.
We’re glad you were satisfied with the food we offer yet we’d like to inform you that in the next year we’ll do our best to make it even better as we’re going to introduce a restaurant “a la carte”, a sweet shop and other cafés for our guests.
By the way not only all inclusive but all of our guests are granted a free pass to all the attractions of the park that we have now as well as all of the wonderful and exciting attractions that will be added in the next year. We welcome you to come in the next year and try numerous changes and innovations at our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaluf
Sol Wave House Hotel
Sol Beach House Mallorca
Sol Beach House Mallorca
#2 of 39 in Palmanova
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,037 reviews

Been to Sol Katmandu Park & Resort? Share your experiences!