“Best hotel in maga”

Sol Wave House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Magaluf
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have been going to maga for the past 12 years, staying in the Royal beach, now called the wave house hotel. Do not worry about all the other reviews, this is the best hotel in maga by far. Everything about it was top drawer, definately stay here again. Cannot praise everything about the hotel enough, we never had one complaint and there were 14 of us.

Room Tip: Hire the top floor rooms off private residents, they have the best views and alot cheaper
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Sofia L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Wave House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Hello ManchesterDavid123,
We are glad that you liked the "new hotel" We are happy to welcome you back again in our hotel. Best Regards. Sofía Llambías E-Guest Experience.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

First time of writing a review but being that this was my third time to Magaluf and reading some of the other comments on here, I thought I needed to give it the review it deserves. Going for the third time I was thinking it would be a gamble being that it would be hard to beat my previous holidays. Having stayed at the Sol Guadalupe and Sol Magaluf in previous years I liked to have a half decent standard for a hotel – primarily for it to be in a good location, clean (definitely important) and to also have a good atmosphere with friendly staff… and out of the 3 I’d say Sol Wave had it all and more!!

I went with 2 mates from July 12th to the 19th and we had done a bit of research before going so we knew the location was going to be good being that it is right on the beach with shops located/restaurants around it, opposite BCM and at the bottom of the strip.
We were a bit unsure though because it had been ranked quite low on the trip advisor and when we got to the hotel (after a long and tiring journey) it didn’t look much on the front BUT we were relived and pleasantly surprised to be greeted by friendly staff and completely bowled over when we saw the hotel room!! I think on these sites it’s very easy to take note of all the bad points that people make and moan about (they seem to stick in your head) and seeing ‘hotel images’ of the place before hand we weren’t expecting the rooms to look as good as they did in the brochures but they did!!

Being that it has just been renovated over the last year and taken over by the ‘Sol’ chain, the place had a modern and fresh feel to it from the reception, to the pool and to the room which we had opted for self catering:

Walk-in shower – fantastic with a massive shower head – I wanted one for home!

Kitchen – small yet practical and fitted with LED lighting. Had a kettle, toaster, microwave and fridge….everything but a hob! We used it for breakfast, the odd lunch and to keep the drinks cold in the fridge…other than that it was cheap enough to eat out but it was definitely handy to have! The safe was in a cupboard which I would recommend, worth it for a few euros for peace of mind.

Main Room – had a double bed and sofa bed with a flat screen TV with all the English channels, chairs, stools and draws…not a huge amount of space in them but then you’re only there for a week and it didn’t cause us any problems. The room felt clean, bright and the sheets were changed regularly…providing we could get up and out for them to do it!

Balcony – had 3 chairs and table and more importantly a great view overlooking the beach and pools (where we’d usually spot Dappy) with music from resident DJ’s and Ministry of Sound. Great vibe and made it feel like you were in Miami or Ibiza with the stuff they were playing!

Whilst I was there everyone I met on the strip that had heard or seen the hotel was envious that they weren’t staying there. It does look impressive from the beach especially with the wave machines. They are expensive to go on (25 euro and 40 euro) but we opted to leave it to the professionals who made it look easy! We were lucky to book 4 weeks before going in July and got a decent deal, in fact the cheapest I’ve managed to get for any of the Magaluf holidays I’ve been on!

My only criticisms if I can think of any were that we had to ask at the food bar for spoons and bowls (bizarrely not part of the standard bits supplied in the kitchen) but the staff happily leant us them for the week. Also when it was busy during the day getting a sun bed was tricky and you’d sometimes have to show your room card to use one…we’d even heard of some people having to pay to use them but to be honest we didn’t have any problems and by the time we woke up (mid-day most times) we would get to the pool in the early afternoon and find the beds or just dump our stuff by the pool and chill out there.

So if you’re looking for a quiet family hotel then this clearly isn’t right for you (still amazes me the people that complain on here expecting to have a 'relaxing' holiday when they are staying in one of the busiest club resorts in Europe)…but if you want a place that’s clean, cheap, great value, young and modern then I’d recommend this hotel any day of the week – in fact I’d say this hotel should be number 1 on the trip advisor and if I make it a 4th time to Magaluf then I’ll be booking this hotel again for sure!!

Room Tip: Opt for a room above the ground floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank James G
Sofia L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Wave House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Hello James G,
It is an honor for us, that the first time you write a review on, is to say pretty things from our hotel. I hope to see you again in the future. Best Regards. Sofía Llambías E-Guest Experience.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

After having stayed dozens of times in the past when this was called the Royal Beach, we were amazed, gobsmacked, overwhelmed and delighted at the transformation that has been engineered by the Sol group. This was previously a shoddy hotel, with little modification over the 25 years we had visited. Decent people always compalining about rowdy behaviour , noise and general disorder. This has now all changed, and even the same old staff now raise a smile instead of a frown. The ambience, the wave machine, the decor, plus the great location on the beach , combined with a target clientelle somewhat of higher quality than in recent years, makes this place so desirable. Well done SOL group for breathing life into this fantastic place

Room Tip: I think they are all up to the same high standard
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Paul J

Dear Paul J,
After your flattering comments, the only thing I have left to say is Thank you so much. Hope to see you again in the Sol Wave House. Sofía Llambías E-Guest Experience.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Perfect hotel for party people, not for older people that want to rest.
Very noisy at night from the clubs behind, we changed rooms after a few nights because my mom couldn't sleep. The new room, faceing the pool and the sea, was much better but still a little noisy at night. The view was amazing!!!
The rooms have beautiful design. They have kitchen also with microwave, toaster, coffe maker. Big plus!
AC was slow in the first room, in the second it worked perfctly.
Reception desk have average behavior, they fulfill just the minimum.
Location is great, right on a beautiful beach with amazing soft sand and clear water. Close to Palma also so you can visit that as well.
The hotel has 2 pools and 2 "wave pools". Its annoying because you cant sit on most of the sun beds because as most are extra charged. Seriously, I payed more then 200 per night in order to stay in a hotel with a pool...i have to pay extra for the sun bed??...And the few ones that are for free, as soon as you sit they some and ask you want you want to drink.
The music in the hotel, by the pool its very good. A big plus are the cool parties that they organize, they bring the best DJs in the world, Mission events etc.
Overall an amazing hotel for young people but the ""Äugust price" too spicy.

Room Tip: The quiet rooms are the ones faceing the pool and the sea. The higher the floor, the better for th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Luiza M

Dear Sim1tours,
I want to say sorry for the inconveniences, about the sun beds most of them are for free if your are a guest of the hotel and then you are not obligate to buy a drink. Thanks for your comments and we are pleased to see you again. Kinds regards. Sofía Llambías E-Guest Experience.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Luckily, i only had to stay here for business for just 1 night. What a horrible hotel. The rooms are not clean at all. Hairs, mold and stains everywhere!

Had to switch rooms because there was water leaking from the ceiling when people one floor up took a shower. This also came down dripping right next to the power outlets, pretty dangerous. Besides this, the air conditioning wasn't working properly in both rooms. It was hot and suffocating. There was no toiletpaper provided. Gladly noticed just in time.

The worst thing is the noise coming from the hallway and outside. The notorious BCM square is guaranteed to keep you from a good night rest, if you don't have earplugs with you. Not to mention the drunk teenagers screaming right in front of your door.

Stay out of this hotel unless you just turned 18, on a holiday with friends and just don't care about hygiene, safety and sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Boombox80s

Dear Boombox80s,
I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay, we get the matter in our hand and we will do our best to improve it. Thank your for your comments and i hope to see you again, please let me know in advance of your arrival in order to welcome you personally Best Regards, Sofía Llambías E-Guest Experience.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

hotel is beautiful and the rooms are lovely, but you pay for self catering but yet you are not allowed to walk through your own hotel with a bottle of water without one of the secruity gaurds ripping it out of your hand, i even had to show me hotel card to walk through my hotel which i had paid over £500 for. to sunbathe on the sun loungers you HAD to buy a drink from the bar, your not allowed to be loud? the hotel is in magaluf which is party central full of young people and you are not allowed to be loud.. staff on reception are lovely and the cleaners are lovely but as for the bar staff and the ridiculous bouncers!! the hotel just grab money off you out of any oppertunity constantly hounding you to by drinks from the bar.. your not even allowed a lilo in the pool! not good for a party holiday at all! its like being in school again! pathetic exuse for a 'self catering' hotel.

Room Tip: just dont stay here
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank abemm

Hello abemm,
Thank you for your comments that help us improve our service. I apologize if your holiday was not what you expected, we are working towards that what happened will not happen again, look forward to seeing again in our hotel. Regards. Sofía Llambías E-Guest Experience.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Well what can I say about the Wave House to give you an honest review?? We arrived at the hotel, bit confusing at first as you enter at the ground floor and reception is on the first floor, obviously no issue there... Well we were allocated a suite which had a separate small bedroom for a 3rd/4th person, so if you are travelling with the kids then this would be ideal. Both the main room and the smaller room had flat screen tv's which showed some English channels, there was a small kitchen type space with fridge, sink, kettle etc tucked away in a cupboard, bathroom with shower etc... Rooms were clean and cool and modern with a couple of wall art stickers and white furniture/silver lamps and nice cool air con. The pool area again was clean, cool and modern tending to get full of wannabe posers, affluent older people and a few families with children. Other than the 2 surf poos you must pay for, not sure how this hotel caters for people with young children, no play areas etc...mainly geared to a younger/posing crowd I'd say rather than a family who need children to be entertained. Hotel about as central in Magaluf as you can get and right on beach front and it was nice to have a hotel where there were no reps stalking the pool areas to get you to take part in the 'animation' programme, definitely not that sort of hotel which is a nice change... Anyway, I felt that there was something missing from this feeling like an actual hotel.... What was also confusing was walking down the corridors you noticed some of the rooms had new doors and card access, others had the big wooden old style of doors and locks which was a bit random and around the pool area on the 1st floor there were apartments for sale or people already owned them, so it was a bit odd and obviously the hotel had apartment rooms owned privately, possibly from the previous apartments that we're there originally the Royal Beach....? Anyway this wasn't a problem, jut a bit odd within a hotel. Anyway there are also some random policies at the hotel that nobody pre advised us about, the first being that you can't take drinks from the pool bar upstairs to the pool downstairs and vice versa, if you dare to then God help you! We had some (and I am being polite describing this person this way) lunatic fly at us cause we had a bottle of water and diet coke in our hands when we went to sit on a couple of sun loungers at the downstairs pool area, he started ranting and shouting, was very, very aggressive all because we had drinks in our hands that hadn't been bought at the downstairs area, now obviously we are psychic and knew this wasn't allowed without being told. He threw us off the sunbeds and shooed us away ranting and making a scene as he did, my friends daughter who was feeling unwell that day offered to throw the drinks away and buy some from the bar but he was having none of it. Anyway we moved on and my friends daughter stopped and sat down again near the downstairs toilets to take a sip of water as she was about to vomit when he came rushing over and once again decided to be verbally aggressive towards us telling us we were stupid etc... Well to say I was annoyed is an understatement, so I went to reception to first ask the question about this stupid drinks rule and to report the lunatic. Reception explained the policy - no drinks bought upstairs can go downstairs and vice versa, we later found out that the downstairs pool although is part of the hotel is franchised out??... Anyway reception staff knew exactly who I meant promising to speak to him.... Also another jobs worth accosted us one night when we came in around midnight and tried to access the hotel from the beach side, no hence another member of hotel staff who thought it was acceptable to shout at us telling us we couldn't come in and had to walk all the way round to the other side of the hotel to gain access, this time this was hotel security..... So reading some of the other reviews I can see where people are coming from.... We were also asked to produce evidence of staying in the hotel, unfortunately people in the pool weren't so there were LOTS of people getting away with spending the day there having probably paid half price to sleep elsewhere, I knew this as they had other hotels wristbands on..... Anyway my description of fur coat and no knickers I think sums this hotel up very honestly! On the outside the hotel looks lovely, but did a bit deeper and you can see it's far from what you'd expect from this standard of hotel... Reception and bar staff seemed nice but there are quite a few things making this not feel like a real hotel and it's a shame as they could have got it right...... I'd only ever return for a weekend and hopefully they will have ironed out the cracks and cleared out the rude staff!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank klh_110

Dear klh_110,
I want to offer you my sincere apologies for the attitude of the security staff, we should like to inform you that from the hotel management will be followed up, in order to improve our services and not happen again any more. Thanks for given us your impressions of our hotel and we are happy that you really like the rooms and our modern and surf instalations. Hope to see you again, please let me know in advance of your arrival in order to welcome you personally.
Best Regards Sofía Llambías E-Guest Experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaluf
Hotel Samos
Sol Katmandu Park & Resort
HM Martinique
HM Martinique
#20 of 30 in Magaluf

Been to Sol Wave House Hotel? Share your experiences!