Ca'n Reus Hotel
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
S'Olivaret Villa(Fornalutx)
Agoda.com
All reviewscharming hotelwalking holidaywater pressuretop floorsitting areasmall poolstunning viewsevery morninggreat escapevillage lifea wonderful staydelicious breakfastbeautiful villagehonesty bares turoserra de tramuntanamountain range
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I really could not recommend this hotel more highly. A few friends and I went in late April, for a quiet break to escape the stress of the city. We were overwhelmed not only by the beauty of the hotel and its magnificent surroundings, but also by the lengths that our hosts had gone to to ensure that we truly enjoyed and got the most out of the trip.

The hotel is located in Fornalutx a small, friendly village nestled in the mountainous region of North Western Mallorca Island. As such, the journey to the hotel on arriving in Mallorca was a relaxed sequence of picturesque mountain views and winding coastal roads - my expectations were peaked - the hotel already had a lot to live up to. It more than delivered.

On arrival in Fornalutx, as we approached the hotel, my first memory was of the wonderful smell of flowers which enveloped us as we approached the entrance. I am surprised so few people have mentioned this in their reviews as it really was a remarkable first impression. The hotel itself was was something akin to a large villa that with it's Mallorcan themed decor retained a rustic and authentic spanish feel without reducing itself to cliche or excess. The rooms were spacious and well decorated with comfortable, generously sized beds which catered for a relaxed, undisturbed nights sleep.

We had already been advised by Nick and Sue (the hotel owners) of several excursions we might undertake during the course of our stay; and on the first day we opted to go boating from the nearby town of Soller. So, after a wonderful continental breakfast served by waitresses who I also found to be very gracious and accommodating, we were off!

Without going into too much detail my friends and I enjoyed our boat ride and, on subsequent days, hired bicycles and went for various walks. This culminated (on the 4th day of our stay) in a wonderful hike through the mountains, which was so beautiful I almost used all the memory on my phone trying to take photos! I think the fact we were joined by Nick and Sue who coordinated the foray, ensured we were well watered and fed, guided us to the most sensible routes and explained some of the local history only served to add a sense of cohesiveness to the whole experience and make us feel that we were truly a part of something special!

It is difficult, to incorporate everything I enjoyed about my stay in Ca'n Reus into this one meager review; I could, for example, continue to wax lyrical about the flexibility of our hosts when, after our night out in the town, they served a late breakfast in the (very beautiful) hotel garden - well outside of the scheduled breakfast times. They had realised we may be feeling a little worse for wear after our indulgences and reacted accordingly! I could also highlight their kindness in providing a wonderful home cooked evening meal on the final night, which we enjoyed together with the other patrons and Nick and Sue themselves.

Suffice to say, to a large extent the degree to which you enjoy a holiday is inevitably based on the circumstances of your accommodation and we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday, in no small part due to the beauty of our surrounding, the catering, the cleanliness and comfort of our spacious rooms and the company of our hosts which came as part of our accommodation package. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask Nick and Sue for a recommendation!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went in late April and had perfect weather for the duration of our stay. After the long British winter Mallorca had everything we could have wanted to warm the soul. Fornalutx is a charming mountain village and was the perfect base for an action packed holiday and indeed this whole area of the island is blessed with stunning landscape.

There are some great hikes nearby - we took two of the routes recommended by Sue which were good fun and showcased some of fantastic views from the Tarantuna mountains. We also cycled from Bunyola to Alaro which was a nice relaxed route and pretty flay.

The hotel breakfast - a selection of quiches, pastries, cereals, fruit and fried options - was fantastic and plentiful and the perfect preparation for a day of hiking. We also had a lovely meal cooked by Nick on the Sunday.

All in all it was a great trip!

Room Tip: Mountain view!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel is in a really lovely location in the centre of Fornaluxt. We ended up spending 6 nights there because of a mix up with some of our other accommodation. We walked every day and had fantastic walks without driving too far . The walks suggested by Sue in he information are all very good . The breakfasts were wonderful without a doubt. The garden and swimming pool are lovely and so nice to come back and relax after a days walking. We stayed in both Puig Major suite and L'offre and I must say we preferred L'Offre ( the cheaper room ) as it is much lighter.
So that's all the good things.
My niggle was the hospitality and you will find several other reviews who refer to this . When you go to a small hotel like this you want to feel welcome and you want o feel that your custom matters to the owners . Well I didn't . The man Nick never spoke at all - not even to respond to a good morning greeting and there was not much more from Sue. We missed the meal they prepared as we left that day so maybe there was more hospitality at hat meal . So I was underwhelmed by the hospitality and felt a bit like a mere commodity . It didn't bother my husband at all . He did not feel it was very hospitable but just got on with his holiday . The fact is that I know I would not give this plce my custom again as I know from experience what joy good hospitality is and we certainly had that in the irate hotel we stayed in at the beginning of the holiday.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

A wonderfully relaxing weekend with friends at this lovely hotel. Fantastic breakfasts, comfortable rooms. Excellent service and welcome. The hotel is situated in one of the loveliest villages in Majorca, with good views. A real gem. We have all stayed before and will keep returning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ELIZABETH M
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had a fabulous time at the Olive Odyssey weekend in January. It wasn't like a holiday at a hotel at all, more a weekend house-party with old friends. As the Irish would say the craic was good, the hospitality was spot on and the entire experience quite inspiring. We've already tried the recipes from the Mark Fosh demonstration and there is still some drops of olive oil left in the second bottle we brought home with us, as we explore further cooking with olive oil. We will be returning to Fornalutx in June this year.

Room Tip: Go for a mountain view - you're worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple