“Shady currency practices at Restaurant Jaume”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurante Jaume - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Restaurante Jaume
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
“Shady currency practices at Restaurant Jaume”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked 24hrs in advance & requested a table overlooking the view. On arrival we were seated on the terrace but not overlooking the view. There was a "view" table free but we were told it was reserved. Nobody sat there while we dined & we didn't leave until nearly 11pm....

Food was very nice but pricey: £100GBP for 2 having a €25 wine, one starter, two mains & two puddings. But that's Deia. The main courses came with no sides, ie no veg or potatoes. I had a risotto which worked out ok despite this, but my wife's fish looked lonely on the plate!

What really got my goat was what happened when I paid the bill. I paid on a UK credit card. I am very aware of Dynamic Currency Conversion (read all about it:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_currency_conversion ) & am keen to avoid it as it is without doubt dishonest when used like it was at Restaurant Jaume.
I clearly stated as I handed over my MasterCard "pay in Euros" (this is how to avoid DCC as described above). When I got the machine back to enter my PIN, the waiter had added €10 as a tip! Fine, I thought, that was probably vaguely in the ballpark of what I would have given, if a little presumptious, but hey, he must have misunderstood me. The amount on the screen was in Euros. My receipt stated: "transaction currency: GBP. I accept that I have been offered a choice of currencies Service & exchange rate conversion rate and final amount. I understand that the choice of transaction currency is final". So DCC had been used. How irritating - although not a lot per customer in monetary terms, this will no doubt be a great money spinner for Jaume over time.
On complaining, I was told that this was the fault of the machine & nothing could be done. I know this to be untrue; a friend of mine runs a business on Mallorca & his (identical) card machine offers the choice of currencies as an option. I will leave the reader to judge this aspect of Restaurant Jaume....

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank snelmark

munchen
“Beautiful Polish Waitress but useless”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

How this restaurant can rate a mention in Michelin I do not know.
The 2 dishes that attracted us in & we ordered were not available.
Only 2 tables occupied but the service cold. Thankfully the other guests agrred with it us that it has gone downhill lately.

• Visited November 2012
Poznan, Poland
“¡Excelente!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Very good and tasty food. Fresh meat and fishes. The wine list is sufficient - not too much and not too less. Excellent wines! I recommend red wine Butxet from Mallorca!
Marverllous and smiling service. Atmosphere nice and elegant but not too stiff - what I enjoyed.
Highly recommended if you want to try tipical mallorquin food and wine!

• Visited October 2012
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Good food with lovely views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Dinner here on Friday evening . Sitting on outside terrace overlooking the valley as the lights appeared in the darkness . We could choose our table . Nice atmosphere --quite busy but not rushed. There was a mistake on one starter which was rapidly rectified . Food was excellent . Fantastic John Dory which was piping hot and cooked to perfection. Would definitely visit again.

• Visited October 2012
sussex england
“A fantastic restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We ate here on Friday night (19 october 2012) at a table for two on the balcony overlooking Deia. Fantastic food and wine - carpaccio of beef with foie gras pate was simply delicious as was the mediterranean fish caught locally. This is a gem of a find in Deia and is certainly not over-priced. A delightful setting and family run with very pleasant staff - I would thoroughly recommend trying this place - it was far nicer than some of the top places in Deia recommended by travel magazines etc - don't walk past it - look inside and see for yourself !!

Visited October 2012