“Very nice”

Robert Graves House
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Deia
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Especially if you get the place to yourself. A lovely day out in Deia altogether.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"church"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed October 22, 2011

Some people are suckers for artistic shrines and I am one of them. Sometimes they can be a let down but sometimes places and buildings can epitomise the spirit of a writer, musician or artist. So it is with the Graves House in Deya. Graves lived a pretty turbulent existence for much of his early life; wounded in world war one, then like Joyce seeking a life of exile if not exactly cunning and silence. However Mallorca which should have been a sanctuary from war time trauma, emotional overload and modernity was roughly interrupted by the inception of the Spanish Civil war which segued into the second World War. Graves double exile was not to end for 10 years when he could return to the island.
Back in Mallorca he found the house he had built maintained and undisturbed and he was able to resume his life of writing and scholarship. In Mallorca he managed to attain a degree of emotional stability, find the space to continue his prolific literary production, enjoy financial security when I Claudius was televised and enjoy being lionised as a grand old man of letters.
The house is not over curated and preserves the spaces in which he and his companions wrote and socialised. It is not a site of great luxury or indulgence but it is one of some repose. Visit it and contemplate a life lived differently

1  Thank artsman
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We were lucky to have the place to ourselves in October. We loved everything about this charming house and garden. Enough to see and read but not cluttered or overwhelming. Gardens are very well maintained. Nothing not to like!

Reviewed October 7, 2011

In a relaxed arrival I was shown where the video of Graves's life would be shown. There was a time line on the wall and then the shutters came down and the video began. It was most informative. When I had time to look once more at the time line I made my way through the garden, taking time to enjoy it and then to the house. I loved it! It was as if Robert, his menage and house guests had just popped out for a walk. The rooms were familial and interesting. Upstairs had more of a museum quality with exhibits under glass and voice-overs to explain certain things. The villa is wonderful as is the garden, with views over the headland to be enjoyed and savoured.

1  Thank Pingopolly
See more reviews
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I must admit although I had heard of Robert Graves, I didn't know much about him. I was surprised to find he wrote "I Claudius" the television series of which we had watched a long time ago. I took the book with me to Deia and thoroughly enjoyed it.
We visited his grave first at the church and a few days later went to the house. It's an easy walk out of Deia on the Soller road.
We watched the short film which was very infomative of a remarkable man and Deia which he loved, The house itself is delightful. I read somewhere that his wife hadn't changed anything after his death but even at that it was not an eighties house. The light in the house is remarkable and the information including the use of videos is very educational and enjoyable.
The toilet facilities are excellent
The garden, although right next to the busy road, has an air of peace I have only experienced in the Protestant Cemetery in Rome.
5E well spent. I had to be dragged out.
Don't miss this experience if you are in Deia or that area.