“Nice short break”

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Can Pastilla
london
“Nice short break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have been to can pastilla five times now and stayed in various hotels all of which have been three stars. I have to say the food at the Calma was as good as most four stars I have stayed in elsewhere. The hotel is ideally situated not far from beach shops etc. The only real shame about this hotel is the noise as the walls are so thin, for this reason I would not stay again and is a shame as it is so much better than other three stars I have stayed in within the resort area. The staff are really friendly and make you feel welcome.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bonniesLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
north
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a really friendly chap who allowed us to check in and have room keys early. Rooms are not the biggest but not an issue as I didn't go on holiday to sit in a hotel room for the duration. Bathroom facilities were good. Down to the bar during our all inclusive stay, local alcohol served but not an issue and very drinkable. Bar staff were sometimes a bit miserable looking, except for Miguel, he was happy and friendly, definitely our fave! Pool was small, but having looked around the area, all pools were small in hotels. Close to local amenities. Jacuzz and indoor pool and sauna and steam room and small gym were all present.
Lacks a discotheque!
Food was what was expected in a 3star all inclusive.
The cleaner needs to go back to cleaning school, but beds and towels were changed daily, corridors just need a hoover.
Overall, we had a very pleasant stay here for what it cost. Staff generally friendly and helpful! Good atmosphere!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Steph S
Crewe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Enjoyed a little mini break with my nephew. Hotel was clean and comfortable. Food was nice enough although the restaurant service was a little up and down.
We went all inclusive but did eat out in the local area too.
We didn't use the outside pool, but used the spa pool, jacuzzi and steam room - fun.
Drinks served in plastic cups at all times was not good - but bar service good
It was a quiet time when we arrived but as we were leaving - Easter weekend - it got very busy.
Reception staff were excellent, very helpful
Rooms cleaned everyday
A nice place and just a few hours from England to get a bit of sun in the dreary winter months

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Manma
bolton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

A good hotel and lovely resort just 5 minutes from airport which can be reached by the number 21 bus from outside of the airport. the rooms were very clean and the maid service came in daily,i hadnt checked first to see if there was an hairdryer in the room but there wasnt so i would advice you to bring your own,a nice spacious bathroom with bath and shower with plenty hot water,there is a small outside pool and an inside pool with sauna and jacuzzi.
There was quite a good variety of food the desserts were very good with a choice of fresh fruit,
cakes, ice cream something to suit everyone.
We would stay at this hotel again the staff on reception were very polite and helpfull and the location very good with the beach at the end of the road.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

This could be a really decent hotel but it was a little rough around the edges and does need some work. First the good points.
It does have a spa which consists of an indoor swimming pool, a jacuzzi, a sauna and a turkish steam room. There is also an outdoor swimming pool, a large bar area, a bar next to the outdoor pool, sun loungers and a large restaurant.There are safes in the room (you pay a deposit at reception) and the room we had on the second floor was large and had a clean en suite bathroom and a large balcony with two chairs and a table. There was a 14" CRT TV in the room with Spanish, German and French channels available. The room itself was clean and the maid service came daily to clean and replace towels. There was plenty of storage and lots of hangers in the wardrobe which was great. There was plenty of hot water and there was air conditioning and a heater in the room. We went full board and the food was reasonable, with quite good variety and the quality was average to above average. There were plenty of fresh salads and fruits and staying for 3 nights meant we did not get too bored but I can imagine if you stayed for a week this might become a bit repetitive.
I personally did not encounter any of the problems that previous guests have mentioned about it being a hotel focused on French guests. During the summer there is an entertainment programme and it is stated that this is in French, but aside from this, I could not see anything that was particularly focused on French tourists over and above the other guests at the hotel who were a mixture of British, Russian, Spanish, German and French guests amongst probably several other nationalities.

We chose to come back to the area after a lovely break here the same time last year. Can Pastilla is really pretty and you can take the 21 bus which runs twice per hour from the airport and then you get off at Hotel Linda and then it is just a short 5 minute walk to the hotel itself. There is a pretty harbor at end of the road where the hotel is situated and just a short walk further east of this is a lovely clean beach. We picked up a few items at the local supermarkets which were easy to find. There is a bike rental shop at the end of the street and I would really recommend hiring a bike and cycling to Palma along the gorgeous coastline.

Now for the reasons I think Hotel Calma is a little rough around the edges...

The main issue to us was the sound proofing was terrible. We could hear everything from our neighbours next door (and I mean everything) and because the wooden headboards are not correctly attached to the walls, we kept being woken up by our honeymooning neighbours who hadn't worked out that if you move the beds away from the headboard, they will not bang against the wall with every move...The noise also came into the room very easily from the corridors, so guests running up and down and shouting, or simply talking, could be easily heard within the room. The door to the room itself didn't seem to fit the frame very well and scraped along the floor when we tried to close it. The noise also came in through the rather flimsy patio door which led to the balcony and this made it incredibly difficult to sleep. On the first night, there were two loud arguments/fights in the street outside with lots of screaming. On the second night, some hotel guests fell particularly in love with the all inclusive booze and were shrieking and screaming really loudly until the early hours (think they may have stocked up as all inclusive drinks stopped at 11pm). On the final night, a large group of Russian tourists arrived and took drinks from the bar and then stood outside the front entrance shouting loudly for several hours. I appreciate the hotel cannot be responsible for the actions of its guests and people could be a lot more respectful of other holidaymakers, but even though I called reception and asked whether they could perhaps move these guests inside so that they were not directly underneath my flimsy patio door which could not be expected to keep the noise out, this did not happen. This meant it was really difficult to get a good night's sleep and I would recommend anyone staying in this hotel should take some decent earplugs.
The other way in which the hotel was a little rough around the edges was the spa. We went down there and although there were places to shower, change and use the toilet, there was nowhere to put your clothes. There were no lockers in the communal changing rooms and so you were forced to take your clothes into the pool area and try to keep them insight, but as far away from the water as possible. Everyone seemed quite confused about what to do here, as to get to the spa, you had to walk through the reception and bar and it did not seem appropriate to do in your swimming costume, yet it was not clear what you were meant to do with your clothes if you changed in the spa itself. The indoor pool was on the cold side although it was possible to get in and do a few laps. The jaccuzzi was sadly also on the cool side, although a little warmer than the pool. The steam room was really good and relaxing. The sauna was not turned on when I visited which was a shame.

I was pleased to read when I booked this hotel that it had been renovated in the past few years. It even has a sticker on the front door saying that it is part of a renovation scheme. I was quite surprised that in our room, the ceiling tiles were cracked, the wood on the bottom of the door and door frame was water damaged and rotting, there were dents to the tiles on the floor in the bathroom and then mount that holds the shower head in place was broken so you could not stand under the shower properly.These problems could easily be rectified if they have been mentioned to the hotel management by the maid service. I think in a 3 star hotel, you at least expect to be able to stand under the shower head without having to hold it up or wedge it in place.

I thought the spa area was quite clean, although my husband said there was huge amounts of mould in the male changing room. I did not see anything like this in the female changing room.
We went full board and were happy to pay a few euros for a glass of wine from the bar in the evening. In the restaurant we just wanted some tap water to have with our meal and on one day I took a jug of tap water from the side but was told off by the waitress called Maria. I would have assumed it would be OK to drink some tap water but clearly it wasn't. This was frankly quite stingy and offensive.
The hotel is advertised as having hair dryers but I would recommend travellers taking their own because they are not provided in the rooms. Instead you need to go to reception and they will loan one to you. Unfortunately there are only 12 for the entire hotel and despite a deposit scheme supposedly in place, I went three times and there were no hair dryers left. I said to the reception staff member that if you take the deposit, then don't you have a note of the room who borrowed the hair dryer and the date and time it was borrowed, and if so, you could ring the guest who has kept it for more than a day and ask them to return it? However, it seemed there was no record of who had them (and perhaps the deposit scheme had gone out of the window) so over the three days I asked for one, I was not able to get one because none of them had been returned. I found this quite frustrating and it was just something else that could so easily have been improved to make the hotel experience excellent rather than average.

Taking this into account, I wouldn't return to this hotel (because I value most of all a decent night's sleep on holiday!) but if you want a cheap, clean, all inclusive deal in a good location, then this could be the hotel for you. Just make sure you take some ear plugs....

Room Tip: If you are placed on the road side, consider asking to move because you may well be right above the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LondonTravelGirl2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We arrived 2 days late after snow prevented us leaving East Mids. The hotel kept our room for us. Its a typical basic Spanish retro 70's hotel. Yes the decor is dated but I dont go on holiday to look at walls. Its clean, the food is okay and there is plenty of it to suit all palates. It is not located on a sea front and the fairly small pool is overlooked by apartments on all sides...go to the beach. Its at the bottom of the street and there lovely walks to El Arenal or a bit further to Palma. As with all Spanish Hotels (not aparthotels) there is no kettle in the room so do not be surprised by this. The drinks on the all inclusive package are measured in small plastic cups and they keep a pretty tight rein on giving you one at a time (probably due to experience). We didn't pay very much, we thought it was about right for the money and had a perfectly nice time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lhbradshaw
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

a quick trip for a few warmer days didnt expect luxury was a clean budget hotel . the staffing did not seem to be ample for the full hotel. we had to clear a table in the dining room before we could eat . rooms were basic but clean.

• Stayed March 2013