“fantastic location pity about the rest”
Review of Hotel whala!balmes

Hotel whala!balmes
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Can Pastilla
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just got back from Hotel Balmes and deff wont go there again, first room i was given had no balcony just a window and room was really small, we got there on a sunday and took until the wednesday to get moved.N0 entertainment there at all unless theres football on the tv then they will put it on if it was`nt for meetin some other welsh english and scots ppl staying at the hotel it would have been like a holiday from hell my advice is stay clear of this hotel

Room Tip: just make sure you ask for a balcony when you book or you will feel like your havin a holiday in cel...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel whala!balmes

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just came back few days ago from Spain, where I stayed in Balmes hotel, Can Pastilla, Palma.My overall experience with this hotel was not so bad, but it was not really what I expected. Location is really perfect as it is literally 30 secs walk from the beach. Room was clean and new furniture in there. Was a shame that my room was facing back of the hotel and could hear noises from the kitchen and elevator. There is not many activities in the hotel so kids were bored. pool area is quite small and just partly in the sun during the day.I had a half board deal which was good for the money value, as food was not so good and more or less same every day, so all inclusive wouldn't work for me. There is plenty lovely restaurants nearby with a delicious freshly made dishes and extremely cheap. Bar did not have a big variety of drinks neither. The reception is friendly, even though hey are not very involved in booking excursions or any trips for you,they provide information and landline phone for you to book it. Hotel has a wifi which is expensive. Comparing to the hotel just around the corner is triple the price. Overall, I would say this hotel is good if you know you not going to be spending much time there.

Room Tip: Higher floors are definitely is a better choice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jen A
Reviewed September 1, 2012

It was my last stop on Mallorca and the worst one. Before it I spent two weeks in Alcudia (which is in my opinion the best place on Mallorca) and my opinion is greatly influenced by the time I had in other hotels.
1) Overall apperance: it is not the most modern hotel that I visited. The doors have ordinary locks, the magnetic card is used only for turning lights and AC on, you cannot lock them from inside. Reception, bar and restaurant areas look like from 60's. The small outside pool is really small and I cannot imagine someone using it.
2) Room: I had single room which was just OK. There was enaugh space for luggage, small wardrobe and small TV, for which you have to pay. The room was clean, but it was rather old so I had an impression that it was not clean. In tiny bathroom you have to be carefull and keeep yout elbows close to your body because they can get hurt while turning...
3) Food and service: food is not good. Service is also old fashioned especially in the bar, where old barman is talking to his friends and ignoring guests.
4) Wi-fi: for me a must in every hotel. Here you can by acces for 20 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day, etc whicg is a standard in most hotels. Wi-Fi is quite fast so you will be able to update your facebook, twitter, check your email etc...

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Bartlomiej S
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Room allocation very important with this hotel . We eventually got the room we had booked [ terrace/balcony ] but the first 2 rooms shown were we felt were very small .

The other thing to consider is that this is mainly a 40% Russian & 40% Italian occupancy .

Staff the most positive thing for this hotel .

Room Tip: pre book rooms with air con / terrace at the front of the hotel if possible as the other rooms are c...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dartygolf
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Nowadays most hotels unfortunately look the same and have adopted a rather new, cold and modern look, but glad to say Hotel Balmes retains it´s classic style. Some may say it´s a bit old fashioned but for us it´s what we find comfortable and what especially stands out are the high standards of cleanliness which are apparent everywhere. The fact that it is so close to the beach is another bonus. The staff are genuine and friendly and make you feel at home. Very good service all round and a good hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Paul G
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Never been to Mallorca before. Wanted a spesified travel, and we went for Hotel Balmes.

The first room was big enough, beds okay, clean (if you don't look under the bed!) and there's a safe you can use if you pay for it. There is a TV, not many channels to choose from, though, and you have to pay a deposit for remote-control. No refrigerator.

It is a calm neighborhood, and not the place to go for partying all night (a bit higher temperatur some kilometers away; S'Arenal if you want that). Very close to the beach, and there is a bus-stop and taxis like a block away. The location is probably the greatest thing about this hotel.

On the bad side - the first room we had the air condition was not working proparly. The caretaker looked at it, but apparently nothing to be done with it. We were offered to change room, and we did because it was unberable to be in the room at night/in the morning. Next room was smaller, it also had a balcony, although no view - straight into the building next door. The bathroom was so small that you had to suck in your stomach and sneak around the door to close it, because of the placement of toilet/sink/door inwards.. But the AC was better. I don't think there are many of these rooms, they are on the small side of the building. We were not informed that the air condition was turned off between 5 a.m. to 11 a.m in all rooms - this could be something to be aware of! (BTW - the shower has impressive water pressure :D)

The staff was mostly great, and were helpful and nice. One man, when we went to complain about the A.C. were very rude, and did not want to talk to us or help us at all. One of the ladies were quite concerned about showing how busy she was, by telling it out loud, sighing and generally showing frustation when we were a couple of guest queuing for help at the desk, and she did make a number of all the things she was supposed to do and hadn't been able to yet - this is not in our interest, but okay..

It is somewhat disturbing at night to hear all the doors beeing closed, people walking in the hallway etc, but generally it is a rather quiet hotel - even though it was in the high season. There is no entertainment at the hotel. Personally I didn't like the sitting area outside by the pool. The hotel laks personality, and it is not what I would call a comfy place. We preferred to go other places at night to sit.

The food - we only ate breakfast there. It is the same food every day. I am rather picky about food, and the only thing I liked was the strawberry jam. One morning they went empty of it - that shouldn't happen... But I'm probably not the best to give a conclusion about the food, other than - like I said - it is the same every day. We never tried lunch or dinner. Not imperessed by the dining-arena, it could almost be characterized/described like a canteena.

All in all - this is a two star hotel, and because of that, I would say it has really high value. You should be aware that the air conditon is turned off in all rooms between 5 p.m to 11 p.m, and even though the air conditon is working, it gets hot in the morning. Because of this and people slamming doors/yelling in the hallway, I had some problems sleeping, but the noice is only occasionally. The location is great, very near the beach (sunbeds not included there). Staff is generally helpfull and nice. Rooms are okay and clean enough. If you are going to stay a lot in your hotel during the stay, I would choose another hotell. If you are looking for somewhere to sleep at night and only basics, it is a recommended choice. Not sure if I would look for something else or not if I were going back, kind of 50/50 on that one..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank abcMO
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Ideal location for beach and nice walks along the seafront. Good staff especially on the reception who will always ask how your day was and give help with days out etc. We found our room clean and it suited us fine. Slept well, and that´s the most important thing for us! Small pool but we never used it so it didn´t effect us. Drinks and food good. Would recommend at least 1 day in Palma as there is so much to see.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
#16 of 24 in Can Pastilla
Roc Leo Hotel
Roc Leo Hotel
#17 of 24 in Can Pastilla

Been to Hotel whala!balmes? Share your experiences!