“Basic, Clean and Friendly”
Review of Balear

Balear
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Can Pastilla
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is not a 5 star hotel so you should not expect 5 star luxury. What you will get is very friendly, helpful staff, clean and tidy rooms (unlike other reviewers I experienced no noise from either set of neighbours during my stay) spotlessly clean public areas, a hotel that is 2 minutes from a lovely beach and numerous bars and cafes. If you are looking for a clean and friendly " no frills" base,then you won't go wrong with this hotel. I would definitely return again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Balear hotel
More a 2 1/2 star hotel than 3 stars, but still alright.
This hotel has got a fairly even amount of good points and bad points, depending on what you could be satisfied with.
Good points:
It's as close as a hotel can be to the beach without actually being on the beach. And the beach is lovely!
It's a medium-sized family hotel, so you know that all your money spent there is going to the local economy, which needs it badly.
In spite of it being a slightly old hotel, the floor between the ground floor and the first floor has some very charming spaces to lounge in.
As well, its being family-owned means you get personal attention. The staff there are very kind, hospitable, and ready to do anything to help with excursions, directions, car or bike rental, etc. That's a quality not easy to find in the tourist industry in Mallorca.
I had a rental car and I loved the fact that this hotel in C'an Pastilla was located right between the beach hotspots on the eastern side (playa de Palma, Arenal, etc.)and Palma city. (The center is only 10 min. away.) I was there in May, and I managed to find a parking spot every night, I can't say that it might be so easy in the summer months.
There was a great variety of places to eat - including ice cream and pastry shops - for all budgets - in the area, and all within a 500 meter range.
My bathroom was small-ish , but functional. Water pressure and temperatures are good. (I had a single room)

Not-so-good points:
In spite of their claims of having a WIFI 'receiver' on every floor, the WIFI to my room -on the first floor- was one of the weakest I had experienced in a while, at any hour of the day.
It's not a hotspot of bars and discos; that's futher down. There seems to be a regular bus system to take people back and forth. (I loved that it wasn't so 'lively' at night.)
The matresses are hard and un yielding. I put a folded blanket nunder the bottom sheet to buffer it's hardness, but it only made it little bit easier to sleep on.
The walls are a bit thin, and you can hear all you neighbors' movements. Thank goodness that my neighbors never made too much noise, though the hotel was full. Even 'football night' was not so bad.
Breakfast is 'ok', and the breakfast room is quite a small space. Decent capuccino and expresso machine though.
6) There isn't a lot of space for storage in the rooms.

It's basically a fairly good budget hotel, nicely located (for my taste), with accomadation you could use for sleeping and resting after a day at the beach. In that sense, it does the job well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on top of the bar. If you're a light sleeper than try and get a room away fro...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DZEBORAH
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and had a very clean room at the front of the hotel (behind the Hotel sign)The room was large for only 2 of us, and it had a third bed and fridge. The balcony overlooked the road, which actually was quite nice, as I enjoyed watching the market over the road.The staff were friendly and helpfull, and a good breakfast was included.It was situated right in the middle of town, only 100yrds from the beach, and similarly from the buses into Palma.It was a hotel I would recommend, and have no qualms about visiting again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2013

First impression is a prim and proper hotel. The staff in the reception is very welcoming and friendly and the reception area is inviting and bright.
But a second glance reveals that we are dealing with a rather worn and tired establishement. The staff remains friendly though and there are computers to be used for surfing on the net at a reasonable price.
Our room on 1. floor was facing the square and was basicly ok. The bed was all right if you prefer them to the hard side. There was a fridge too but it will cost you 5 € a day to plug it!
It is worth noting that the room 108 - and several others - is located directly on top of a bar that is open until late at night 6 days a week. And that the guests are very vocal. We could easily follow their exchange of views to the early morning.
Breakfast is very basic.
I know it is our Nordic prudishness colliding with the Spanish view of neatness but cleanliness in the dining room in particular and the room in general were somewhat deficient.
But if you are only looking for a place to sleep and value closeness to Playa de Palma higher than a comfy hotel it not that bad a place. But don't forget your earplugs.

Room Tip: As high a floor as possible
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed for Three nights in April. Friendly helpful staff, basic but comfortable rooms and bathrooms, fridge but no kettle, if you like your early morning cuppa, take your own! Excellent location, easy walking to beach, restaurants etc., Breakfast small fresh buffet style, my husband heard another guest ask for bacon and eggs, he did the same each morning and was well satisfied. Didn't need air conditioning but would be necessary in the summer. We would have no hesitation staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelBalear, Gerente at Balear, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you so much for the rating.
We take note of the kettle, however we have two in the restaurant, that you can request up to the room.
It was a plesure to have you here.
Marga Mayol
Reception

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Spent last night at Hotel Balear in Can Pastilla . This traditional hotel is in the centre of Can Pastilla. I arrived before the usual check in time and was pleased that I was able to go to the room on third floor. It was a large room with three single beds, one large fridge and a balcony overlooking the square which was ok. The bathroom was good with nice quality towels and a hair dryer. The shower over the bath was ok but the temperature was slightly up and down. There was free wifi, which was good, although like the temperature of the shower was up and down which was a bit annoying. I was very surprised to see that the sheet was directly on the mattress with no mattress protector, that's not usual at all!! I have stayed in many, many hotels over many years in Majorca, Spain, UK and other parts of Europe but this was a first - if I wanted to watch tv I had to give a 20€ deposit, which was refundable with the remote control and the receipt- I didn't bother. They must have had a bad experience with thefts of remote controls - how very odd. The breakfast room is downstairs and there was a continental selection with a reasonable selection. Nothing special but passable. The hotel was clean, however some things were a bit odd, namely my bedroom door which was a bit of a DIY disaster, with a bit of odd brown wood in the middle . I'm sure for what it may cost it would have looked much better with a new door instead of patching up an old door. I don't think I'll stay there again as I didn't like the TV situation at all and I prefer to have something hot at breakfast apart from toast.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your valuable opinion, I want to personally apologize for the breakfast lack of hot food, I am sure that on that day they were very busy and they had forgotten to ask you. We make bacon or ham with eggs to every person individually, if they want to.
They were supposed to ask you. Sorry about that. The problem with the shower probably happened because of the high demand in the moment, you are right about the tv remote, they last a lot longer if we ask for a deposit, and people don't seem to mind because we don't charge anything.
The door use to have a glass and it broke,that is the reason for that appearance, but we will work on changing it.
If you ever change your mind and decide to come again, we will be very happy about it.

Marga Mayol-Reception

Reviewed March 24, 2013

If you take the bus 21 from the airport. You can easily find the hotel on the way to the beach. The location is very conventient, around 3 minutes' walking to the beach. All the receptionist we met were really nice and very warm-hearted.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
2  Thank Vita25
HotelBalear, Propietario at Balear, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you. It was great to meet you too.
Antonio Mayol

#11 of 24 in Can Pastilla
Catalonia Majorica Hotel
Catalonia Majorica Hotel
#28 of 74 in Palma de Mallorca

Been to Balear? Share your experiences!