“Breath taking”

Olimarotel Gran Camp de Mar
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Camp De Mar
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have recently returned from a weeks stay here. This is now mine and my familys 2nd stay at the gran camp de mar hotel and would like to say it exceeded our last stay. Firstly for anyone that has to say anything bad about the food this is incorrect, there is something for everyone ; cereals, toast, full English, fish, meat, salad , vegetarian options, fresh fruit, puddings, typical Majorcan breakfast and many more. The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis on one occasion we forgot to take our don't clean sign room off the door and didn't expect the cleaners to come back in the afternoon yet they did. The entertainment is suitable for all ages. The animation team are very good , again for all ages. And lastly the bar , restaurant and reception staff, they are brilliant and deserve more respect and gratitude , they work constantly extremely hard. Some days they work all day and then do the same the next couple of days. They never stop and are always very pleasant. We will definitely be returning for our 3rd stay at this hotel next year .

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank Gemma-C1
grancampdemar, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Olimarotel Gran Camp de Mar, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Guests,
thank you so much for your kind feedback.
We hope to welcome you again in our hotel in the near future.
Sincerely yours,
The management

There are newer reviews for Olimarotel Gran Camp de Mar

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I could agree with most of the comments about this hotel but don't be mislead. The room we had was not on the large side but adequate for the time spent in it. It was spotlessly clean and well furnished and beautifully decorated. It would have been helpful to have had tea/coffee making facilities in the room. I was surprised, though, in view of the cleanliness, that our bedding was not changed the whole week we were there. There was lots of seating in the bars and reception lounge area if you felt too cramped in your room.

The restaurant was very busy and large but with the correct manoeuverability you could pass adequately between tables. I feel the tables should have been set with both tumbler and wine glasses instead of just a knife, fork and serviette as on many occasions there was a lack of wine glasses and lots of visitors were complaining of this. Also I would not expect to drink wine out of a tumbler in a four star hotel. After a few days it was obvious they had retrieved more wine glasses from somewhere. Yes the restaurant appeared on first entry a bit like a canteen but after getting into the routine was a successful arrangement. The food choice was plentiful lots of it cooked in front of you and had excellent choices at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The waiting staff worked very hard and were soon quick to notice if you were short of anything and were happy to fetch it for you.

The pool area was superb and spotlessly clean - the chldren's pool being very well secured from the adult pool. It was a pity the weather wasn't warm enough to entice me into it! Also there was a decking area right on the seashore if you wanted it a little quieter.

Yes there were mixed nationalities in the hotel but isn't that what visiting abroad is all about? We spoke to some really friendly people not only British but from other countries too. And lots of the foreign visitors had a good command of the English language which I am ashamed to say I could not converse so well in other languages.

It has a lovely little play area for young children (under school age) and the baby pool is superb for this age group too. We did not visit the Spa only to collect pooll towels but it looked really good. Nor did we partake of the indoor pool but that looked to standard of the other areas though a little hot in that area.

The area around the hotel was quiet at the time we were there but that is what we wanted. There are some good walks and views and overall the holiday for us was relaxing and the hotel was very welcoming and friendly. This applies to all the staff from the cleaners to Reception to maintenance staff and waiters. I would certainly return, in fact I have been on the website already but there doesn't seem to be availability later in the year when we would like to return. That is recommendation in itself.

We caught the bus to Paguera and Andrax which are well worth a visit and if there are four of you it is just as cheap to hire a taxi to those places.

Room Tip: For better views I would recommend requesting a 4th floor room and above. Also sea view although I...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ann D
grancampdemar, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Olimarotel Gran Camp de Mar, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear customer,
Thank you very much for spending your holidays in our hotel and we are glad you liked it.
We apologize for the issue of change of clothes in your room, moved your opinion to the hotel housekeeper.
Look forward to seeing you again in the near future,
sincerely yours,
the Management

Reviewed May 16, 2013

On arrival on 9thMay 2013 the hotel reception looks very impressive, checked in quickly and shown to our room by a very pleasant young man. On entering our bedroom
a feint smell of damp was detected but could have been the cleaning soloutions used.
the room was quite small we were on the first floor and could just see the sea from our balcony .
The beds were 2 singles pushed together and very hard but quite comfortable.
The hotel overall would be classed as a 3 star in me and my hubbys opinion.
The dining area is spotlessly clean but the seating arrangements are too close together.
Most of the holiday makers were german dutch and few of us were English, also there was no
English flag displayed outside the hotel.
The food was varied so that you really did have a good choice Fish was excellent only 1 day in 7 days was more bone than fish .as I eat the fish everyday either lunchtime or evening meal..
There is not a lot to do at this hotel only eat sunbathe or walk around along the sea front ideal for a complete relaxing break. and also I would recommend for couples.
I was quite shocked as this was early May and there were quite a few school age children here
although most of these were not from England. Also lots of babies I am not a child hater as I do have grandchildren of my own and look after one of them on a regular weekly basis, but I did feel that this hotel is not really geared to children and babies. , Another gripe I have is that there is a smoking area right outside the bar area near the pool which seems to be continually in your face if you want to sit out with a drink I would have thought it better to have a smoking area and a non smoking area. One good thing there are no smoking in the hotel and in the bedrooms
and dining room.
Also as stated the walls are very thin we had a young couple next door to us so you can imagine
what we could hear.
would probably not go back to this hotel again as there is nowhere to go in the evenings we usually like to walk after our evening meal.
Good hotel for total relaxation and a good variety of food.

Room Tip: High rooms for a better sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 263BarbaraP263

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your opinion and for spending your holiday in our hotel.
We remind you that in Spain is banned smoking indoors, smoking is only permitted outdoors.
In the time that you were in the hotel, we had 50 customers of your same nationality.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in our beautiful island in the near future.
Sincerely yours,
The Management

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel in the past few years. I think it has changed ownership since I was last here. It was at one point an RIU hotel.

As it was my second stay I knew basically what I was in for – to a certain extent.
The Pros: This is a nice looking hotel in a good location with fabulous views, and an attractive pool area. I have to say that my room had one of the best views I have ever had from a hotel room. And I have travelled all over the world. For this reason alone, if they sorted some of the problems I would most likely stay again. But not until then! Most of the staff were excellent, especially towards the baby in our group. The maids did a pretty good job of cleaning, the bed was very comfortable and the food was ok for an all- inclusive stay. One of the entertainers I saw (an Adel tribute act, ) was very impressive.
Cons: There was no aircon and our room had an evening temp of about 27 degrees plus. I was informed that the hotel has a centrally controlled aircon system and that as the temperature the previous week had been cooler they had no authorisation to switch it over from the heat setting. We spoke to other guests and we were not the only ones to complain about this.( The bar area in the evening was sticky and sometimes smelly due to hot people.) This lack of aircon makes it more difficult when you are travelling with a young baby who then develops a heat rash. Very worrying! I did test the aircon unit to see if it was set on a heat setting, but there was no power at all. So it does make me wonder if there is some kind of cost cutting going on here, as I know that this hotel does ( or did in the past), only allow aircon between certain hours. I certainly was not expecting NO AIRCON AT ALL! The First Choice Rep, Lauren deserves some kind of award for procuring a fan for me from her own team. The hotel had no interest in providing me with one.
The walls are paper thin. The man next door sounded like he was dying of consumption and we heard every cough and bodily fuction. Beware if you get a crying baby or amourous couple placed next to you. The room itself had a slight odour, similar to a faint urine smell. I think it may have been due to some ammonia based cleaning solution.
The bar can be a little slow during the day. I had to throw away a beer due to an overwhelming taste of chlorine. I suspect they had not flushed the pumps correctly and so I did not drink beer during the day again. Other drinks I had ( including beer) from the evening bar and the dining room were fine.
The restaurant has tables packed tightly together and this does make it difficult for even a small person to navigate the area. We constantly had people tripping over the highchair, which is dangerous when people are carrying hot food and drinks.
Summarly:
All in all, this is an attractive hotel with mostly attentive staff. The lack of user controlled aircon and the dining room issues mean that I will not be returning. I would NOT recommend this hotel for people with babies and young children.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the left hand side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Oldbaines
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from 26th April until 4th May 2013. The hotel is quiet and in scenic location. The staff were fanatastic, very approachable and friendly. No request was too much trouble for example when my boyfriend asked for extra pillows they arrived in minutes. The cleanliness of the room and the whole hotel was excellent. The food is of a high standard and was different every night.

2  Thank Alexandra877
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We are here at the moment and the hotel is lovely. Great location but a little bit isolated. Not much to do in camp de mar itself but bus and taxi just outside so great location to explore from. The hotel is spotless, the staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Massive restaurant but very well run, good hot food that keeps on coming. Plenty of choice and cooking stations with fresh meat and fish at every meal time. Beer and wine and soft drinks available at all meals too. Don't feel rushed either. Full breakfast everyday too. My only gripe is that tea is only available at breakfast in the restaurant you can only get it from the bar the rest of the day/night. None in the rooms either. Bottled water only available from the bar at night too which is a pain but you can get a glass of water during the day but I prefer bottled so you know what you are getting. The rooms are a bit pokey too. They are adequate but it rained for 4 days when we got here and I found the room a bit claustrophobic to say the least. The walls are very thin and it sounds like your neighbour is in your bathroom. the tvs are limited so it can be a bit hard to hear them and they just won't go any higher! Have BBC1 and BBC2 only.

Evening entertainment is fair but its only the start of the season apparently the team walked out en mass last week so thy have done quite well really considering. First choice rep went to a new posting Tuesday to magaluf and the new one is not around much which is a shame. Reception staff are great. Wifi is available in the rooms but advertised as reception only. Cheaper to buy for a week too as 5 euros a day. 15 for a week.

We went to see the Pirates Adventure show in Magaluf which was amazing. You really should go and see it if you can. It's brilliant. Went to Palma for the day it was so pretty there. About an hour each way if you get the right bus 102 not he 104 as it takes about 2 hours to get back and they are very crowded! Palma has street entertainers and lots of shops and an amazing cathedral.

The setting is beautiful. The area quiet and safe and all inclusive is great. Food and drink all day long. As much as you want when you want it. Safe in room was 20 euros for 10 days. Bus to Palma 11.70 euros each way for the 2 of us.

There are lots of places to sit in and around the foyer, plenty of sunbeds and a games room to play cards or dominoes.

I think this is a great location but I find it a bit boring in the evening as there isn't anywhere to walk around as there are only 2 or 3 bars around the hotel. But if its peace and quiet you want and good food then this is a great holiday.

6  Thank Bella095_11
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Gran Camp de Mar from April 6th to the 16th 2013. On our arrival we were shown to the desk, were registered and in our room on the sixth floor within ten minutes. The room was spotlessly clean and carefully prepared for us. We requested extra pillows for the bed which were delivered by the time we returned back from exploring the hotel. The balcony had two reclining chairs and a table and gave us both sea and land views. We had booked all inclusive and meals were served in the buffet restaurant, breakfast between 07.30 and 10.00, lunch between 12.30 and 15.30 and dinner between 18.30 and 21.00. Due to the efficiency of the system we experienced no queuing for food which was of a high standard with a wide choice which included vegetarian dishes and local produce. Wine, beer and soft drinks were available. There was a small restaurant next door where one could book a table but the buffet meant one could go back for more! Or you can also choose to eat al fresco. Savoury and sweet snacks were also available during the afternoon. Not all of the drinks in the bar were ‘all inclusive’ but that is quite often the case in hotels Entertainment was laid on every evening from 21.30, some acts appealed to us whereas others did not. We watched what we wanted to watch.
During the day there were plenty of activities which included shooting. Cycles could also be provided as well as details and maps of walks in the area. Details were also obtainable on the desk of a selection of very good bus tours by a local company which were reasonable in price and gave guest the opportunity of seeing the island. There were always plenty of sun beds with nobody allowed to claiming early in the morning with a towel for the day. The pools and whole complex was kept spotlessly clean at all times whilst Camp de Mar beach was only two or three minutes from the main entrance. There are plenty of walks in the little village of Camp de Mar with a selection of shops and a most helpful tourist office who provide a good map for FREE. The two other hotels had not opened for the season when we were there. A local boat trip is also available from outside the hotel. A taxi rank and the local bus stop is also nearby
The only problem was that cigarette smoke was a nuisance outside especially at the tables outside the entertainment area. One had to get a seat upwind of the smokers, but it would be easy to have a designated smoking area here. Also tea and coffee facilities are not provided in the room, so take the travel kettle.
Most of the guests were mature adults and seniors with around six young families with children. Even though the numbers were small a range of activities and a mini disco was held for them every evening. I cannot say if there are more children there during school holidays. The Gran Camp de Mar is situated in a very quiet area and would not appeal to teenagers. But there is a very regular bus service to Palma at 11 euros each way. The resort of Peguera with its long boulevard of shops is only 1.50 euros each way by bus or you an can go to the larger resorts of Santa Ponca or Magaluf to shop if you wish. Then of course there is s Andtrax and its market.
The Gran Camp de Mar gave us all we had expected from a busy hotel which caters for many European and other nationalities. The majority of the guests were either Spanish or German with some from Wales, Italy, Austria, England and the U.S.A. If you want a quiet holiday to do what you want, when you want, then this is the place, but don’t expect clubs, strip joints, bars and bingo on the doorstep.

Room Tip: For the best views go for the higher floors and take a travel kettle!
10  Thank EWR35
#1 of 4 in Port d'Andratx
Hotel Cala Fornells
Hotel Cala Fornells
#8 of 52 in Peguera

Been to Olimarotel Gran Camp de Mar? Share your experiences!