“Fantastic”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Camp De Mar
Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Camp De Mar
DERBY
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2009

This is the best Hotel I've ever stayed at. The resort is quite small, but the Hotel will keep you entertained all day. It's a Thomson Gold Hotel, so there's no children and entertainment throughout the day and on an evening. Mallorca laws prevent outdoor noise after 11.30pm, so you won't be kept up too late.
The Hotel is immaculately clean, and the staff can't do enough for you. All the housekeeping staff and waiters are happy and will always smile and say hello. The food is brilliant. Hot and cold buffet style, but of a 5 star standard. The manager (Jose) is always walking around the place making sure people are happy.
There are plenty of sunbeds and the Hotel provide sunbed towels, but still, at 8.30 they're all queuing at the door to get their favourite spot - it's comical to watch. We tended to put our towel out on way to breakfast around 9am, and there was always free beds avaliable, and plenty still stacked up. Any empty sunbeds have towels removed after 10.30am. Pool was good, with shallow and deeper parts.
Throughout the day, Thomsons have all sorts of activities, like bowling, darts, water polo, killer pool, giant jenga etc. There's also a quiz in the afternoon. On an evening, the resident band take the stage around 9pm, followed by an invited guest. All were very good quality acts. Waiter service is also fantastic. We'll definitely go back again next year!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jon&Teresa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (971)
  • Polish first
Leicestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

Just returned from a 10 day holiday at wonderful Camp de Mar. This was our third visit. I was happy to be given a room in the newer part of the hotel having stayed in the old part previously, The newer rooms are bigger and quieter.

The hotel staff were, without exception, helpful, cheerful and friendly. The service was superb. We were, initially, disappointed to hear that the old manager had retired, but Jose is on the ball and the hotel runs like a well oiled machine. He is everywhere and few things escape his gaze.

Sadly, the evening entertainment was not as good as I remember on previous visits. Too many opera singers for my taste. Leaves me cold. The comedians were terrific, especially Arnold Gutbucket - HILARIOUS. He totally overshadowed the big star of the week who followed him. The resident duo were poor. Their equipment was old and inadequate. I have seen entertainers in my local pubs with more talent and better sound quality.

I love the resort and am sure we will return in a couple of years.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ashford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

Just returned from two weeks stay at this hotel. We were initially impressed with our hotel room - it had a lovely view looking directly out over the sea, but we soon realised that this did not compensate for the noise. The room we had was in the old part of the hotel and there was obviously no sound proofing whatsoever - you could hear everything from your next door neighbours talking, coughing, upstairs neighbours walking around, opening drawers/cupboards and other mysyterious bangs and crashes emanating from who knows where.

Other people have mentioned the sun bed rush that occurs - well this meant that our neighbours were up at 7am every day (and consequently we were woken up). By the way, we always found sun beds later in the morning so this rush is entirely pointless. The room also overlooked the neighbouring hotel's pool area and we had to listen to their entertainment until midnight everyday and then there was the daily moving of the chairs (dragging and banging them down) in our own hotel's snack bar below our room up until 1am. This meant we were getting a maximum of about 6 hrs sleep every night - just not enough for me!

The daytime entertainment was also a source of annoyance as you could hear it even up the far end of the beach, so the only option to escape was an mp3 player turned up loud!

On the plus side, the resort is extremely pretty but opportunities for walking (especially at night) are very limited due to the hills either side of the resort. The staff were all very friendly. The restaurant staff were particularly helpful - especially the head waiter who gave me a guided tour of the hot food each night to identified the gluten free dishes I require. The choice of food was excellent, even for a coeliac like me.

On the whole we enjoyed our holiday but would have liked to be able to sleep better. I beleive rooms in the newer part of the hotel are better sound proofed but we did not realise this until near to the end of our stay. Also be warned that if you do not book a sea view (we did) you may end up with a tiny room with a minute balcony - other guests complained about this and the managers would not move them to a sea view as they hadn't paid for it. If you get a room in the old part of the hotel (nearest the sea) ask to be moved straight away to get the most out of your holiday.

• Stayed August 2009
West Torkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

Just come back from 2 weeks at this hotel and along with the majority of previous reviews cant fault the hotel,staff or food. The sunbed race for me was the most disappointing thing about the hotel but not sure how it can be stopped so we started coming to breakfast later so we didnt have to witness the embarrassing chaos. Apparently there have been injuries! \For me and my partner the only disappointment is the location. I knew it was a quiet resort but the real lack of anywhere to walk on an evening was a great pity.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Mansfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for only 2 nights as we had a villa booked for the Saturday.
I wish I had read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor, because I would have chosen another hotel.

The bad bits.
The hotel is not 4 star, probably between 2 and 3.
The worst part is the evening entertainment. Karaoke standard at best. Very loud and goes on until midnight, so no chance of an early night because its outside and loud enough for the whole of Camp de Mar to hear it.
On our first night we waited for the music to stop so we could get some sleep and eventually it ceased at midnight. Then, some young locals decided to have a beach party. They were shouting, laughing and playing bongos until 3 in the morning. We complained to the Thompson rep next morning, what a waste of time, I think he was still hungover, denied all knowledge of any beach party and said it was the first time anyone had ever mentioned it. Later I spoke with one of the young members of the hotel staff and she told me that it was a regular occurrence when the hotel staff and Thompson reps drink and party into the early hours. Strange how this is not mentioned in the Thompsons brochure. Fortunately we were only staying for 2 nights.
The bar staff were not at all friendly, very abrupt and quite rude.

The funny bits.
Hotel guests queuing from 7 in the morn to get a sunbed. We watched this from our balcony. The doors to the pool area open at 8 and the rush for sun beds is hilarious. Once they have their sunbeds, they place there towels on them and then return to the hotel for breakfast.

The good bits.
Fab location, great sandy beach.
It’s half board so breakfast and evening meal. It is plentiful with a wide range to choose from and I would say acceptable.
The room was spacious although dated and the air conditioning was very effective and quiet.
Camp de Mar has only a few small shops and a couple of bars so a car is essential if you want to get about. We visited the beautiful Port Andraxt on our second day so did not experience the daily entertainment, thankfully, and returned late afternoon to the beach.
The hotel staff, excluding the bar staff, were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lexydan
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

I've called this 'One of those places,' as it seems to be like marmite - you either love it or you hate it.
Everyone has their own views and opinions which I fully respect, but as I was there at the same time as the 'Rebel' I didn't see JUST lots of jelly and children's puddings!
I saw delicious home made cakes, Bread and Butter Pudding, various local pies and goodies all on the two desert tables - alongside 4 types of ice cream and the toppings you had as a child - oh maybe that's where the childrens puddings comes from - and it feels soooooo 'naughty' putting sprinkles and chopped nuts on your ice cream, of course there was always the most delicious fruit to take advantage of too. Rice pudding was lovely - warmed in the microwave - umm. I found it easier to rely on soup bowls for puddings as they allow more delicious items to be sampled. Before type cast me, talking about the puddings first, it's a Slimming World friendly hotel! LOADS of free salad and lean meats, cheeses and easily worked out synes food - ok, ok it's not a diet advert, but I lost 4 pounds and NEVER stopped eating at breakfast and tea! Oh my life breakfast - fruit, yoghurt, toast - more toasters this year - omlettes to die for and pancakes ALL freshly made. Never was there more than 3 in the Q -but what would you rather have freshly cooked food in front of you or eggs shipped out on mass and cold? NO food was ever cold - unless it was ment to be. The soups were lovely too - try them even though it's walm. So tasty. The resteraunt staff were fantastic. NOTHING was too much trouble. It's no cash for drinks, so you can pay at reception, from the morning after - keep check if you have more than one bottle of wine if you've been before - ours were on two different room numbers but drinks were charged to a different room so we ended up paying for it. Free wine, yes you are able to choose whatever bottle you like free of charge if you are a returning guest.
Airport transfers could have been a bit smoother - but things were quickly remidied and we were whisked off in a taxi.
The rooms are a bit basic, tiles always make them look less snug, but VERY CLEAN - I needed a bath mat, it was in my room within 10 mins. I also spotted 3 yes 3 ants - I mentioned it and wham gone - lightbulb in the bathroom went - whizz fixed. What brilliant service. Oh it's great to be able to have your air con on and have the balcony door open. At night it was lovely to have the door open and just listen to the sea, yet still have cool air circulating. I had a single room which was brilliant, it wasnext to the suits and was bigger than the ones I had had on previous occasions. The tree is a minor pain - however if you sit up either end of the belcony you can kinda block it out. You do get two belconys with a suit. My parents were the other side to the suits and they said the same as me. It does say about some room being smaller and you can have a reduction. I've seen them over the years and if a view doesn't really matter and you only sleep in the room I'd happily have one of those rooms. You can still see the sea, it's just down the way.
Camp de Mar is small, but beautifully formed. Please don't bother if you want noise and night life, clubs etcs. There are a few bars and the big hotel opposite. Plenty of walks to do too - from local ones to fully guided ones - maps from reception. It's much better now coaches are discouraged from reversing down to their hotel as the beeping used to grate - now it's a no entry and peace is restored. The other hotel has a hidden gem. It has a fantastic spa it's 9E a day, but you can just have treatments and the German Hairdresser, I wanted to bring her home with me, she did an excellent job on my locks! Full marks overthere too, everyone was helpful and kind. We went in to see if it was suitable for my brother's young family. A big yes, you are free to use their pool etc but it's all inclusive so obviously you have to pay for drinks etc. We went to see Come Fly With Me - well what a fabulous show. It's not cheap, but is worth it. I'd rather see it and have the cheaper deal (only one glass of wine, not a bottle) and see it, than not. Thanks Reps on your honest tips for not buying the VIP seats, much appreciated. Also asked about a couple of other trips, as I have a back injury, they were open and honest saying whether they were suitable or not. No hard sell here! The lady who sells the boat tickets is a haven of local knowledge, have a chat and the boat trips, from her, are well worth it. Taxi drivers are lovely and kind too, the majority want to practise their English so it's fun. Like everywhere everything has gone up, taxis still remained the best value for money too. We never heard anything about pick pockets, but we did notice more Police on general patrol.
The Reps couldn't have been more helpful. Only the young lad could do with working in a more lively resort. What a fab idea to leave your half used oils and potions in a kinda swap box, it saved you buying odd things you ran out of. The book swap is also great - no charge unlike Los Gigantis last year! The day time activities are there if you want them - they are not forced on you. The quiz was bloomin hard though! LOL Aqua Aerobics was such a hoot. Evening entertainment was ok, we prefered to go up to our belcony and have a bottle of wine chillin out. Oh the sun beds gotta mention it - thank goodness they take off the towels at 10.30! Brilliant! my only bug bare and it's a whincy one is that people have sunchairs and an unbrella - fine no worries, except they sit there complaining there's no shade - there is but due to the suns position it's behind or in front of them. 'I was under the unbrella all day but I still burned...' yes because the shade is away from your unbrella!!!!! We NEVER had problems getting a sun bed at ANY time. It was easy to 'pinch' other peoples shade!
Well, yet again Portland thank you for a wonderful holiday - yes we will be back next year - we love it!
The hotel is just a shell, it's the people in it that make it! Well done everyone for making our holiday one to remember!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank Sfrums
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

We have just returned from a fortnight's stay at the Playa Camp de Mar. This is our third trip to the hotel and we will definitely be returning again. The hotel provides quality accommodation in a beautiful setting.
Accommodation - our room was spacious with all the facilities you would require including Satellite TV and a fridge which we used to store our own drinks. The view from the balcony was absolutely stunning! The rest of the hotel was very well maintained. The pool was always extremely clean and provided relief from the very high temperatures we experienced. Sunbeds - yes there was a queue at the door to the pool each morning but people were generally very light-hearted about this. There are lots of sunbeds, but on occasions umberellas were in shorter supply. This seemed to be resolved last week as we noticed new stock arriving.
Food - there was always plenty of choice. We never went hungry! The staff a very friendly and efficient at clearing the tables. The food was generally of a very good quality, although we felt improvements could be made to the quality of the cereal.
Entertainment - we thoroughly enjoyed all on offer. The evening shows were varied and there were certain shows we preferred, but this was down to personal preference. The two gold entertainment hosts were great, worked extremely hard to provide for all of the guests and did a brilliant job! We loved the aqua aerobics each morning, as well as the daytime activities, quizzes and evening ents. No chance for us to get bored! The entertainment offered, as well as the professionalism of the hotel staff, Thomson Gold reps and Entertainment Hosts is one of the main reasons we will be booking a Thomson Gold holiday for our next break.
Resort - a truly beautiful setting, although som emay find it a little too quiet. We enjoyed the peace and relaxation and found it very easy to travel to neighbouring busier towns. The snorkelling in the sea is brilliant!
To summarise , a thoroughly enjoyable holiday. We would definitely return again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ___KandK___59
SENTIDO Cala Vinas
SENTIDO Cala Vinas
#1 of 2 in Cala Vinyes
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,824 reviews

Been to Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar? Share your experiences!