“Fantastic Holiday...Excellent Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Camp De Mar
Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Camp De Mar
West Midlands
“Fantastic Holiday...Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed for two weeks at this hotel in a suite. The suite rooms are in the 'old part' of the hotel but there are also twin and double rooms in this part too. The first suite we were given was on the first floor, we asked hotel reception if we could be moved as we like to be higher up and they advised they could move us on the Saturday, which they did. Please note we did book this holiday nearly 12 months in advance and requested through Thomson then that were on a high level floor but no request is guaranteed although the hotel will do all they can to accomodate. The first suite we were in, had a walk in wardrobe, small living area, large sleeping area, huge bathroom with a massive walk in shower and shower over bath and a balcony which could be accessed from living and bedroom area. There was the fruit, bathrobes, tea, coffee, flowers, etc on arrival. This suite had a fantastic view. The suite we moved to a couple of days later was on the fifth floor. This suite had a large living area, smaller bedroom area, a lovely bathroom with a shower over bath and the bath was a hydro massage bath. The balcony was separate so one part could be accessed from the bedroom and the other from the living area. The tea, coffee, milk, etc was replenished daily. Although this suite was infront of the tree, we still had a great view of the sea and beach. There is no bottle of wine on arrival which Thomson advertise when booking a suite but they do give you a voucher for a free bottle. Please note, the balconies in this old part of the hotel are on the small side, whereas the balconies in the new part are larger but a lot less private as they have glass fronts and what appeared to be frosted glass dividers between them.

The hotel and rooms are very clean and the staff are some of if not the most friendliest staff I have ever met. Jose does appear to be a very hands on Manager and seems to take a lot of pride in his hotel and staff and rightly so. On the last night there was a farewell meeting, which involves the Rep explaining about the departures and Jose giving a very funny speech and giving us all a glass of champagne.

The hotel food was excellent, the choices for breakfast and dinner were absolutely brilliant. If you didn't want a full English Breakfast then there was plenty of cereal, fruit, etc on offer. At dinner there was always a great selection of foods and the desserts were delicious, especially the chocolate cake and bread & butter pudding. There are also traditional spanish dishes. I do not understand any of the negative reviews on the food, as the food really is fantastic.

The sunbed derby, well this is very funny and no I was not one of these people who got up every morning to watch this, I saw it twice during my 2 week stay. Once when I was up early as we were going on the trip and the second time on the departure day. The towels are lay in order by the door to the pool area and as soon as the door opens the race was on. There is a great clip on You Tube with a very funny commentary, although this was done in 2009. What did make me laugh was that the people who were participating the sun bed derby were the ones who arrived on the first day with a walking stick or crutches, then miraculously didn't need it during their stay until it re-appeared on their departure day. But hey, who am I to judge and if people want to get up at silly o' clock on holiday, when there are plenty of sun beds to go around then let them carry on. What did annoy me was that after the day on the sun lounger was finished, not one person attempted to put their bed and mattress back, instead, left it where it was and expected the staff to clear up after them, which they did very efficiently.

The day time entertainment was there to get involved with if you wanted to and Marcus did a very good job. The evening entertainment was varied. To name some, the Beatles were great, the comedians were shockingly bad, the Bee Gees sounded like the Bee Gees with a foreign accent, the Thompson Gold Production Team did a good job, the lady with the blonde hair has an excellent voice but the one with the dark hair did screech. The best had to be Graham Powell, he is very, very funny - brilliant. Last but by no means least Face to Face the resident duo AKA Tory and "Grandad" Pete, they do an excellent but tough job, in trying to get the crowd to join in. Tory has an excellent voice and Pete is a good musician and we wish them all the very best for the future. Tory, if you read this, we managed to talk to you on the very last night outside the front of the hotel, I hope your hamster is OK and you really are very good at what you do, don't let no one put you down and continue to do what you do. The entertainment went on until 11.30pm and if you don't want the noise, take ear plugs - there are sound limiters on the sound equipment due to celebrities apparantly living in nearby villas who don't like the noise, this is also why the entertainment has to finish at 11.30pm.

Camp de Mar is a beautiful resort, you can get a bus to Palma for 8.40 euros for two and we used to get a taxi to the neighbouring resort of Paguera for 5.30 euros, where there are a lot more shops. You can do the walk to Paguera but this was August and temperatures in the 40's so we gave this a miss. We also got a taxi to Port d'Antrax, this is very upmarket resort and ridiculously expensive.

If there was one recommendation, it would be to update the rooms to match the lovely bathrooms.

We had a fabulous holiday and will be returning, oh and Jose, I don't think you will be going to Skegness any time soon!

Thank you Grupotel Playa, look forward to visiting again.

4 Thank OnlyMe1799

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We arrived at this hotel at around 1pm in the afternoon, we made our way to the pool area and simply took a few moments to locate 3 piles of sun loungers to be placed wherever we wanted and we found mattresses to cover the 4 loungers in the room next to the pool bar, this took us minutes only. From the second day my father as part of his illness does not sleep well so yes he was up and about early and went for a stroll and spoke to people who were also up early, he placed some loungers where he wanted them only for us to overhear in the pool he was videoed "running" to get a bed at 7am. My father has had a heart attack and has several stents fitted so does not run anywhere i can assure you, what i find strange is the moaning whining people (as below) who find it so disgusting to place a towel on a bed, so what, you stay in bed untill lunchtime if you want on your holiday, im afraid that you are the sad ones for videoing from your balcony at 7am!!

There are people moaning about people having the same spot by the pool, do these people think that maybe there is a reason?? Like my father and my partner both having had heart attacks and needing to be near the pool edge for easy access, no they do not think they just assume and moan, GET A LIFE....you are able to get a sun lounger and a mattress at ANY time of the day i can assure you as there was a pile next to us all day every day.

Please do not listen to any negative reviews about this hotel, yes we all have our own opinon and we all have different likes and dislikes.

The entertainment was not very good but this does not bother us as it is not a major part of our holiday and yes it is a little loud but i have heard louder and it does turn off at 11.30pm, surely that not that late is it, take some earplugs!!!! You can have a little bus trip out on an evening too its easy, the food is very nice and acceptable, the rooms and staff are very good and if you have a problem just speak to the manager and dont just moan.

The outlook is stunning but yes it is very quiet and if this is not what you want then just dont go, stay in Magaluf...... We did NOT enjoy the water polo at 3pm in fact we hated it so instead of moaning about it we enjoyed half an hour in the sea instead and it was lovely, there is always an alternative. We met some lovely people and we all enjoyed our stay and Marcus and Lottie did their best to involve all the newcomers so if you didnt feel part of things then that is purely down to the individual and NOT the entertainment team.

We would return to this hotel yes, i am unsure of the people who complain so much about what everyone else does and how they feel about the hotel then say they will return, its beyond me, just remember this is your holiday and everyone else's so just enjoy it how you see fit.

One last word for the rude ignorant woman who interrupted our meal one evening to accuse my father of swearing at her earlier in the day at the lift and then decided she may have been mistaken and had accused the wrong person, you should be ashamed of yourself and i hope you read this......

5 Thank Popsmollsaims
northumberland
Reviewed August 25, 2012

very nice hotel, food and staff.
Found it annoying that people were out picking their sunbed spot from 7am. the hotels may aswell take the signs down about not reserving sunbeds!
I too found it noisy at night if you wanted an early night.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will go back.
Marcus was really funny with the aqua areobics.

Room Tip: ask for room on top floor for the views.
1 Thank sylvia b
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Have just returned from this Thomson Gold hotel and couldn't fault it. Some people have complained about the entertainment being loud but we found it wasn't that bad if you closed your balcony doors and it was finished well before midnight each night anyway. Reviews Ive read for other hotels complain about there not being much in the way of entertainment so I think you just can't please everyone. It does state in the brochure that there is nightly entertainment so I think you must expect this surely!

This is our 2nd visit to this hotel and this time we took 2 friends (all of of us in our late 40's). Even though there are always the people who queue early to get their sunbed spots we always found that there were always available spaces. Even the day we arrived at 2.00pm we found it easy enough to get a sunbed. You only have to queue up in the morning if you want a specific place. There were also plenty of umbrellas, which seemed to work out to one for every 2 sunbeds which is great.

I am a coeliac which means I can't eat gluten and it was fantastic here because, as well as the food being labelled for vegetarians, there were also labels to tell me which were gluten free. It was so helpful. Even I had plenty of choice for food. Each night there were a variety of meats (not just pork), including a carvery, plenty of fish dishes and plenty of vegetables, rice and pasta. One evening my husband had apple crumble and custard and said it tasted wonderful. He is a very fussy eater and didn't have any trouble finding things to eat that he liked. My only complaint is that the bacon and eggs in the morning were cooked in a lot of grease and I prefer my breakfast grilled. There was always scrambled and boiled eggs though if you don't want a fry up as well as the usual continental options and a lady making smoothies to order.

The rooms were spotless with a big walk-in shower, an empty mini bar for your use and a flat screen tv showing a lot of english channels, including itv and bbc1. There are soaps, shampoo and shower gels as well as a hairdryer in the bathroom and it was all kept lovely and clean during our stay. There were cups and a kettle, as well as a complimentary bottle of water (we had an ordinary double room) and so I was glad I had brought my own teabags! I bought some fresh milk from the Spar which is up the steep hill and it meant we could sit on the balcony having a nice cuppa in the morning before going down to breakfast.

The reps too were excellent and worked hard to keep everyone happy and entertained. Look out for the Beatles tribute band. They all play the guitar and perform without a backing track and they are so talented!

There is a paella and sangria demonstration every other Friday and Im glad our week fell on the right Friday for this. After the demo they give everyone a good plateful of this to try, as well as a couple of glasses of sangria and its absolutely yummy! Not many hotels give you a free lunch like this!

The beach is just a few steps down from the pool terrace and the sea at this time of the year is lovely and warm. I could swim out without being out of my depth too which was lovely.

We had a lovely relaxing week and fully intend to return again. Our friends too were very impressed and also want to book again.

The only thing I would complain about for this holiday is something that is nothing to do with the hotel itself but with Thomson. Despite our flight not taking off until 10.55am the transfer bus collected us at 6.20am which was very early. If it had collected us 3 hours before the flight I could have had a normal breakfast. However, at that early time there was only continental available and being coeliac I can't eat bread and croissants. I improvised by taking in my own gluten free roll but I really think 6.20am is far too early to be picking you up for a 10.55 flight. We seemed to be at the airport for ages which is quite tedious.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view also face the stage and so don't choose these if you like an early night...
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Its the best thomson Gold hotel we have been to . Jose the manager and all his staff work very hard,nothing is too much trouble for them .the hotel is spotless ,clean,and looks out onto the bay,the bristro and the pool bar serve a variety of well cooked food and we thought the drinks prices were ok .Our room was nice with a lovely shower,had a limited sea veiw,only a few bars and shops but a very relaxing resort .The Thomson reps were always on hand and very helpful ,enjoyed Tapas and wine with Chris very enjoyable afternoon ,Thomson enterainment team worked very hard ,A Beatiful location ,Brillant Hotel, we shall be going back again

3 Thank Jean A
Llandysul, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

On first appearances this hotel looked great. The reception was full of marble and the situation overlooked a picturesque bay, Our room was big enough for two and clean with a lovely view.The resort, however, was very busy and small with few bars and restaurants overlooking the bay. The staff in the hotel were friendly and breakfast and dinner tasty enough, The one enormous BUT IS THE ENTERTAINMENT that takes place every night outside the sea view rooms. Forget having a quiet evening drink on your balcony or watching the tv or reading your book until midnight. The 'entertainment' was so loud it may well have been in our room , We had to sit on the beach until11. 30 pm in the dark as we couldn't stand the noise, It spoilt our holiday.
The other downfall is the army of guests that reserve loungers by the pool before 7am
despite notices requesting guests not to do so. No point in the notices if not enforced and in fact the pool staff were compliant. No loungers left by 9am.
Service in the bar also poor unless you are sitting in the 'entertainment' area.
Very disappointed in this Thompson Gold hotel.

Room Tip: Dont go here if you want peace and quiet
7 Thank Mair R
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Excellent hotel in a beautiful bay we very much enjoyed our week stay here. The staff were fantastic nothing to much trouble and to watch them laughing together and with the customers was a pleasure. The hotel is lovely and clean and the food superb at breakfast and dinner. Tomsons let us down on the bus trip home to the airport by leaving the hotel before the 6.30 leaving time on the departure board and not even had a rep on board to do a name check or head count . It cost us 50 euros to get to the airport and Tomsons did not care and would not refund us, Not good enough Tomsons!!!

Room Tip: room with a seaview
3 Thank mayble013
Cabau Bahia Camp de Mar Suites
Gran Melia de Mar
Gran Melia de Mar
#4 of 182 in Calvia

Been to Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar? Share your experiences!