“All that's Gold sparkles!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Camp De Mar
Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Camp De Mar
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 1 week commencing 12th July and I can honestly say as soon as we walked into reception we knew we had chosen wisely. I agree with the very positive reviews of this hotel, to be honest I would have to be very critical to find anything to complain about. What we have to remember when reading these sites is that some people go on holiday to moan. Maybe the bedding was not to my taste and I thought this made the rooms a little dark but that is personal taste and other's may find this wonderful. The remainder of the bedroom was fine with flat screen television and the facility to use a fridge and a kettle. A lovely clean bathroom which is something that is always important to me.
The food was excellent, a vast choice for breakfast, different cereals, porridge (very nice) loads of different fruit, breads, full fry up, omelettes and pancakes (made to order) the list goes on. Evening meal consisted of different salads, soup, then always fish of some sort and roasted meat, vegtables slightly lacking not a huge selection, always pasta and vegetarian dishes. Then the sweets mostly a hot one, then a large aray of creamy delights but to be honest I always think they look a lot nicer than they taste, or cheese and biscuits for the savoury person. So I think you would have to be very fussy to complain about the food, it was always hot and well presented and the waiting staff were always on the ball to clear your tables with a smile.
The entertainment was good, loved the IL Divo lookalikes and the Beatles and the comedian was good with the help of Madge ( a very funny full of life lady) all the entertainment team were friendly and need a mention, also Chris the lady who organises the walks, she is very friendly and knows the local area well, we did the walk to Paguera with her makes a change from sunbathing.
With regards to rooms if you pay for a seaview then the views are amazing such a beautiful bay, but bear in mind the entertainment is just below you all so you will not sleep until the entertainment is ended. Also if you like to soak up the evening sun the rooms are in the shade by then. We had room 144 which was on the side of the hotel and I thought this was a nice room, cleaning cupboard next to us and nobody in the room on the other side which meant we had a very quiet room, full sun in the evening, this also overlooked the tennis court but no players all week.
So to summarise the holiday we both had a very relaxing time, enjoyed ourselves thoroughly, ate enough but not too
much and would definitely go again sometime, go on book it!

6  Thank Diane B
There are newer reviews for Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was at Camp De Mar 6th July-20th and I have stalked through reviews and the like finally culminating in me deciding to just go ahead and write my own experience. It was a good and bad experience - very mixed - but that isn't too say that the other raving reviews are rubbish. It's a personal thing obviously.

I'll start with my room. Or my horsebox. It was a single room (evidently made of paper) and the bedroom was alright - I mean, rooms are hardly spacious and there really is no bed like your own. However, my bed was a marble slab in a past life. It was bearable the first few nights but towards the end (okay, last 10 days or so!) it was just so hard and uncomfortable. Think it needed a new mattress. I've been the 4s and 5s nearly all my life and I have never had such a horrible bed. Normally you can make some dent in the mattress but this...nada.
The walls were so thin you could hear everything the neighbours did and, if they were at your side of the room, what they said. I won't comment on the TV being loud from next door because that was mostly down to the fact that my neighbours TV was mounted on the wall that was above where my headboard with so yes I was going to hear it. Things got so bad, though, that we actually managed to play along with The Chase through the walls one evening before dinner. I didn't have a front room either so I had coaches backing down the road beeping each night and I also had a perfect view of the entertainment across the road in the other hotel. Which would have been nice if they didn't play the same playlist each night. I've never been a Tom Jones fan but I have come back a big big fan of 'Delilah' because I heard it so very much.

My bathroom....oh dear. This I had a big issue with. I'm not particularly fat but the gap between my sink and my shower was so TINY that I had to sideways shuffle to get into the shower - which, needless to say, is incredibly dangerous getting out especially with marble floor. I understand that the sink had decoration sticking out as a way of smoothing the edges and making it safe but it was honestly such a small gap that anybody even a stone above me wouldn't have been able to shower for two weeks.

The hairdryer was very good for hotel standard though.

Restaurant dinner was, for me, where the hotel really let itself down. There was plenty of food available but there was a lot of pork (I'm talking 13 out of 14 nights with multiple variations of pork) which was a bit of an annoyance and also pointed towards 3 not 4 stars because the choice at dinner ended up very limited for me most nights. Chicken, turkey, steak and lamb appeared a couple of times but I wouldn't say they were up to 4 star standard either. Not going to dwell too much on the taste of the food but I will say that I have certainly stayed in better quality wise and never want to see pork again in my life (also, this pork was served next to a pig shaped money-box...cruel!).

Breakfast was good choice and lots of food so can't slate there. Lunch was from the pool bar who had nice sandwiches and some other choices and were very reasonable and also friendly towards us.

Our waitress in the restaurant seemed to have a vendetta against my table as she laughed, joked and chatted with every table in the section apart from ours. But, then again, not the hotels fault...just my bad luck. Still, if it was a 4T, I would expect service with a smile.

Entertainment in the evening was outside by the pool which was lovely and made a great change from being stuffed into a hall like so many other hotels. Acts were actually very good and enjoyable to watch. Thomson production team are amazing - very talented and very good at what they do. I really enjoyed watching them. Resident duo Face to Face or Tori/Pete were excellent. Great range of songs and genres, Tori has an outstanding voice and Pete is a very skilled musician. They also interacted with the audience instead of just talking at us.

Thomson entertainment team/duo...ah what can I say. During the evening Lottie and Markus were brilliant hosts and bridged the gap between Tori and Pete and the actual entertainment with a quiz. Managed to drum up a brilliant atmosphere and I think we had quite a laugh. During the day they worked non-stop to provide us with activities to do and also just stopped to chat a bit. French boules is 11.15am followed by Aquafit at 12pm as daily activities but then things ranged from crazy golf to darts to origami to water polo until 4pm which was the quiz.. So yes, plenty of things to do and things to talk about. If none of that seems you, you can sit and relax by the very lovely swimming pool or toddle down to the beach and have a really lovely day - no qualms there. Pool is very clean and the terrace is beautifully kept.

Location was a real joy though. Apart from aforementioned Tom-Jones-loving hotel, it is a one eyed town with the nearest actual town about 20 minutes away. Ideal for a quiet relaxing holiday.

Personally, my holiday experience was somewhat saved by the team because I'm only 18 so it was something to do and also people to converse with. As you can tell by my review, I love to chat and I'll chat to anybody so especially having Markus around was a great help.The plus side, however, is that there aren't any screaming children.

But, all in all, I wouldn't rate the hotel a 4...maybe 3 or 3 and a half.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Starlight123_6
playita2011, Gerente at Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you very much for having taken the time and write a review about the hotel. All comments are respectable, but what it does not seem right to insult others by saying that the other customers all comments are rubbish.
I regret that you liked the hotel, concerning food, we have much reason pork is normal as our offer of dinner is to get two or three different types of meat daily ... and it is normal to be repeated unless you like the deer, ostrich ... maybe in the future that we put into our menus.

Sorry I had to answer it, criticism are always welcome, as I said before, I do not like your comment on other opinions.

Regards
Jose M. Pardo
director

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Have just returned from a wonderful stay here with my daughter .. Having visited Camp de mar 37 years ago with my late parents I found myself again in this wonderful location again. The hotel is fantastic. The staff were so friendly and the entertainment staff worked very hard to make sure we were entertained . The food I cannot fault in any way . Infact there is nothing I can complain about . If you want a relaxing and beautiful holiday location then this is for you ........... One thing you have to get up very very early to get a good sunbed location round by the pool area .. I found myself like everybody else setting my alarm to get a good spot

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Debbie G
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I spent one week in this hotel at the end of July. The hotel and our room were spotlessly clean throughout. The bathroom was modern and recently refurbished with high end fixtures and fittings. The bedroom was a little dated but there was a fridge and flat screen tv and comfy chairs on the balcony - so didn't bother us. The food is excellent. The variety at breakfast and at dinner is immense. We liked the amount of Spanish food on offer - why would I travel to Spain to eat Shepherds Pie and English food all week!? (Although they do cater for everybody if this is your thing). It was well cooked and constantly replenished. We never got bored eating in the same restaurant every night, which had been a concern. Some have complained about gentlemen having to wear long trousers in the restaurant at dinner. To be honest, we have found this rule to apply in most 4* and 5* hotels that we've stayed in so wasn't surprised. We think this is necessary to keep up high standards and this rule is clearly stated at the entrance to the restaurant. The staff throughout the hotel are very hardworking and friendly and the Manager is visible throughout the hotel. We feel that the evening entertainment is geared to the older crowd (we are in our early 30s), but we knew this before we went. We were happy to have a few drinks in the local bars instead. The resort itself has everything you need: few nice clothes shops, Bank, Doctor and Bakery (which is good), but is quite chilled out. We went into Port Andratx one day, which was lovely and also walked into Paguera on a cloudy day. This wasn't our type of resort - much more touristy, but does have a nice large beach. We didn't get involved in the daytime activities as we spent practically everyday on the beach, but there were a lot of different activities throughout the week - you wouldn't be bored if you like getting involved! Overall a fantastic relaxing holiday in a pretty resort, which we would definitely consider again for this type of holiday.

Room Tip: I think a room on a higher floor is better to make the most of the views.
6  Thank VegasBuckley
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is one of the most difficult reviews to write.

We booked this hotel as a three day break for a nice relaxing break, all we wanted was a hotel of a good standard and a nice relaxing atmosphere. The Hotel and its staff are wonderful, Hotel is spotlessly clean and food of a very good standard nothing to complain about at all. Resort is small and compact and very pretty.

Unfortunately if you do not need Hotel entertainment and want a little 'space' this is not the place for you, as due to the design of the Hotel you can not avoid this, neither of an evening if you leave the hotel and decide to frequent one of the beach bars, leave the evening entertainment behind, as you can still hear it. So alas this will not be a venue/resort we return to, however if you do like Hotel entertainment both day time and evening, and a catered for the UK Holiday then you will love this Hotel and have a great time, many of the guests return year after year.

So i have based my review and rating on the Hotel itself (minus the entertainment)

2  Thank Topsy130
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Have just returned from a 2 week stay at Playa Camp de Mar. Absolutely Fabulous. Jose and his full team are excellent - nothing is too much trouble for them. The hotel is spotlessly clean and a really great place to stay if you want a truely relaxing holiday. The entertainment team Lottie and Marcus are excellent - they made our holiday- could not wait for each days entertainment and
activities to begin at 11.15!. They are both so professional and friendly. Both work tirelessly to ensure everyone enjoyed themselves. The food selection choice was second to none ensuring that all dietary requirements are catered for - something I have not noticed in any other hotel we have stayed at. The dishes were piping hot and plentiful.Cannot wait to book our holiday there next year.. The only down side is the usual Towel Brigade ( nothing to fault Thomson or hotel staff) out each morning before breakfast- really no need as there is more than enough loungers for everyone- the view from the balcony terrace overlooking the beach was to envy however the selfish few who 'reserved' these spaces with their towels then did not use the loungers until after midday was very frustrating. Evening entertainment was varied to suit all tastes -again - well done Lottie and Marcus for ensuring a great line up each night .

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have sea view - which also has partial or full view of the pool and terrace - a...
3  Thank Susan700
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have never felt so compelled to write a review as not only is this hotel amazing, the staff are what make it so special. All staff - hotel employed and the Thomson team are excellent and are always happy to help. I have to mention Markus and Lottie (Thomson Entertainment duo) who kept us all entertained throughout our stay. They are both excellent at their jobs and an asset to Thomson. Another mention has to go to Jose, the hotel manager. I have never ever seen managers at previous hotels wheras Jose is everywhere making sure all his guests are looked after.

As for the hotel, I really can't rate it high enough. Entertainment was of high standard, rooms were spacious, pool was clean and the food was the most amazing food I have ever tasted abroad. There were always plenty of choice and food was regularly replaced so was always fresh. Be prepared put on a few pounds
;)

I honestly can't understand the negative comments - I read one stating the pool wasn't cleaned properly. Nonsense - I actually witnessed a hotel worker IN the pool cleaning all the inside edges!! That is thorough!

As a couple in our early 20's we were worried that the clientele would be too old and that'd we feel out of place but we had nothing to worry about. All the guests were lovely to us and made us feel so welcome. If you are young, but want a peaceful holiday this is the place to go!

Many of the guests return year after year (some on their 12 visit) I think this speaks volumes about the hotel.

Needless to say, I CAN'T wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2012
Gran Melia de Mar
Gran Melia de Mar
#3 of 181 in Calvia
Cabau Bahia Camp de Mar Suites

Been to Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar? Share your experiences!