“Don't be too fussy”

Roc Portonova Apartments
Ranked #8 of 36 Specialty Lodging in Calvia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were 5 fella,s wanting a cheap , cheerful , and clean base for a four night stay and we found it here . The place is dated , end of story . We ate out , and used the hotel as room only so can't judge other aspects of it . The rooms were clean , facilities basic but adequate , staff very helpful and very hospitable . We wanted an iron , they supplied a brand new one , we wanted the shower hose sorting , it was done pronto . We will defiantly go back if another trip is planned , like I say , not the ritz , but more than adequate.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kevw22

Reviewed September 26, 2013

What can I say!!!! The apartment was terrible it was filthy dirty and everything inside was either broken or falling to pieces. The bathroom door didn't fit properly, the bath had scum marks around it. I had to clean it myself before I could attempt to bath my daughter. The bed sheets weren't changed in a week. The floor was covered in black hairs it was horrible. We stayed in room 115 and I wouldn't recommend it, the view was the back of a dirty pub not the best view. The only positive thing about the apartments was the location and the reception staff they were very friendly and helpful. Shame they work in such a scruffy hotel. I definately will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank l N
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Although these apartments are at the very end of Palma Nova they are a good base for a quiet holiday.We had a big spacious 2 bedroom apartment for myself and husband. The flat was a bit tired however we only used it to slepp as we eat out when on hoilday.
The pool area was small but OK. I could always find a sun bed any time of day. The pool was a bit cold but not as cold as bigger pools are.
At reception we were booked in by a very pleasant English speaking guy.
We did not go to the entertainment which I think was in the pool area in the evening.
The Italian restaurant just outside was really good. Fantastic food although a bit pricey but we were on holiday.
The stadium just around the centre had tribute acts on every night however they ripped you off with drink prices. No cans or bottles of juice or water.
Over all nice apartments and great resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Have given a 2 rating and that is down to two things - cleanliness in most areas and the friendliness of the staff. Everything else is pretty dire. I did sort of know what I was getting into when I booked this (was going over for a weekend to surprise some family members) and I didn't really have much of a choice but to stay here.

I had room 321 - third floor one bedroomed apartment with a side sea view.

Good points:
Location is fab - quiet area with not too much traffic
Views - if you do get a sea view room (or even those rooms that are on the side elevation) then the views are really good.
Staff - both day and night the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Quiet rooms - didn't hear a peep out of any of my neighbours
Clean - communal area very clean. The apartment I had was also clean but had other issues (see below). Decent clean towels and very clean sheets on the bed. Plus I didn't see any creepy crawlies and was expecting cockroaches and mozzies (but did keep my windows shut the whole time)
Room was large and plenty of storage space and seating areas - the apartment I had could easily sleep 4 people.
24 hour manned reception

Bad points:
Dingy awful décor - the hotel might have just been plucked out of a bad 70s horror movie (picture The Shining with less charm). Seriously awful and everything was so worn out, the carpets, the lifts, the lights - yuck. If you can get past that then fair play to you.
Dark worn apartment - room 321 had so-so furniture but was awfully dark, dreary and lots of repairs needed - it looked like it had been recently repainted but the kitchen needed a massive upgrade, the bathroom was TINY and had cracked dark green tiles, the doors had splintered in places and badly patched up - the patio doors to the balcony were only locked by a tiny latch. The TV was about 20 years old and honestly don't use the microwave - I imagined radiation leaks aplenty so didn't use it. The air con didn't work even though it made noises like it was working.
No iron/ironing board/hair dryer available so take your own.
Pricing - I got a late package deal with Jet2 and when I arrived I realised just how much I was overcharged!

Was very happy to check out and would only recommend this hotel if you need something in the area and don't mind tired and dark places. Shame really as the staff deserve a lovely place to work.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Whitlam H
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but no need. The apartment was spacious, clean and well equipped. There was plenty of room for a family of five, two adults and three children 14, 11 and 7. The pool was clean and not too crowded in August a peak holiday time. The kids loved the bingo around the pool at 5pm. The staff were friendly and helpful especially the reception staff, all their advice was spot on! They can tell you where to get vouchers for discounted entry to waterparks, marineland etc. The only thing I would advise is when you are boking ask for a room that is higher up as there are a couple on the ground floor with the view of the back of the neighbouring texmex restaurant, not really what you want!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms either overlooking pool or higher floors.
1  Thank louise r
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Just back from Portanova apartments, had a great time although our first allocated room was poor patio doors hard to open and the view poor, bathroom old and dark green, room 217 not the best ! but David managed to move us to 212 on the second day of our holiday and that totally changed our holiday,staff are warm and welcoming this is one if those places that really grows on you. To be fair the rooms do need modernising but the charm of the place and the amazing views (from pool side rooms second floor and up) far out way that. We had breakfast every morning and that was ok. Bacon and sausage was a little ropy but everything else was fit for purpose. All of the staff work really hard to keep this old place going and the roc group should be extremely proud of these people if not for the staff this place would have a lot more negative feedback! The location was ideal for us very quite and close enough to stroll along the beach front to many bars and restaurants. Our favourite was the indian restaurant around the corner next to the sushi bar. The food in the indian was extremely good and fairly priced.The worst is the Chinese restaurant near mc Donald's don't waste your money we should have known it was poor when it was half empty,and the staff are rude to customers. All in all the portanova was a great choice for us and we shall go back soon hopefully. (Just as long as we get a sea view room and David and his team continue to keep up the great work...

Room Tip: Pool side second floor and up are the best rooms
1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just back from another great holiday at theses apartments, 3rd time now! Family had a great time, nothing is to much for the reception staff who will help with any problems you have or any information about Palma Nova. David is a great asset to the hotel, very friendly and nice! We got the same room as last year, great views and nice and quiet for the time off year, pool and entertainment great! Very sad to be home! If you want a great quiet location with great views this is for you, yes the rooms could do with updating but everything is useable and safe and rooms are only for sleeping in any way. Kitchens have everything you need for meals, washing machine on ground floor with dryer as well. Wifi is a bonus, with computers in lobby for use as well. You will have to up and ready for the sunbeds at 9 am or you might struggle to get one! Beach is straight across the road if you fancy the beach instead. We did the western water park again very good but take lots of money!!
Hopefully we will be back again next year especially if it is left up to the kids!!

2  Thank claire g