“Best Melia service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Barwell
“Best Melia service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed at the hotel in April unfortunatly the worst weather but this hotel made up for it. Had a lovely reception with a very friendly door man who brought us towels and drinks. Got an upgraid do to gold card with Melia to the level floor. The food was excellent so was the service. The bedrooms had beautiful views very clean and free laundry service. The spa was also excellent which really made up for the bad weather outside. If you are away from kids for a few days like we were this is the best hotel! I can't fault it any way. Would like to come back again. Thanks so much for all the hotel staff for a lovely memorable stay. Renata Pallett England

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Renata P
Carina_MD, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia de Mar, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Renata P,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

We're glad to know that you enjoyed your stay in Hotel Meliá de Mar despite of the bad weather. We will send your comments to all the staff: for sure your words will encourage us to keep on working hard to achieve excellence.

Thank you to take a time writing your review!

We look forward to see you back soon.

Carina Nunez, Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Esher, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel (adults only) is beautifully situated on the seafront; it has all sorts of facilities, like pool, spa, gym, etc. However, we did not use these as we were busy tending to some personal business, and had chosen it mainly because of the location. The room had a balcony & sea view and on arrival we were warmly welcomed, with a drink and a cold washcloth. Wi-fi was free - very good as we had to send frequent e-mails. The room was very well equipped with a huge wardrobe and a separate closet where you could stow those ugly suitcases. The bathroom was also very nice, fresh and modern.
However, the air-conditioning was useless; we kept it turned down to the lowest, but the trickle of cool air just did not lower the temperature at all. When we complained on leaving, we were told off for not letting them know earlier, but we just had not had the time, as registering a complaint was hard work, as you will see.
We were very surprised to be charged 17 Euros per day for the parking. The car park was just an open space next to the hotel, and unfortunately the windscreens soon became covered with bird poo. The second day, when the car was delivered (as they insisted on doing, though we could easily have walked those fifty metres or so), I had armed myself with paper tissues which I had dampened. The bellboy was obviously embarrassed but just tried to take the tissues away from me, rather than cleaning the windscreen. The last day it was impossible to see out the windscreen and my husband asked for it to be cleaned, which it was (tho not very well). How can a hotel charge 17 Euros and then give you your car full of poo? Lots of "have a wonderful day" and the like, but I would rather have had a slightly cleaner car.
When packing back home I had looked at the website and in the general description of the rooms it said they had hair-dryers and hair straighteners. However, when no straighteners were to be found in our room, I phoned and asked for some.Now, this is a 5 star hotel which prides itself on its service. Wouldn't you have thought that they would say "of course, Madam, we will bring it right away"? Instead they started arguing with me and told me that my room was not good enough to warrant hair straighteners. I took my IPad down to show the info to the girl in reception, who kept arguing that that was the general page and if I had gone into the page for my room type there was no mention of a hair straightener. "But", she said, testily" we are trying to find you one, but the hotel was full last night". It was all quite unpleasant. In the evening of that day, the straighteners were delivered, but did not work! I had my husband test them too, in several sockets, but no luck. I handed them in at the front desk, but no replacement was offered during my stay. Now, I am sure you think this is a mere trifle. Of course the world does not fall to pieces without hair straighteners, but I had meetings with lawyers and banks and really needed to look my best - and could easily have packed mine if I had not been misled by the website. Have a look for yourselves!
The first night we arrived late and decided to have dinner in the restaurant. A charming barman mixed one of the best Cosmos I have ever had. But the dinner itself was a disaster. We were asked what we wanted to drink very soon, but after 45 minutes we had not even received as much as a drink of water. The food took forever and was really of pretty average quality. The personnel seemed completely disorganised; in fact one of the girls who took our order seemed totally spaced out and we never saw her again after she had taken our order. We were thinking of leaving, but as it was late we did not have too much choice but to stay.
On day two there was no drinking water in the room, not even in the minibar, so as we left, my husband asked them to replenish the water. We were really shocked to find how expensive the water was - AND there was a 4.50 Eur room service charge on top of that! We mentioned this on checking out and were told that they "were sorry, but that is how it is".
The hotel is a classic; the huge red building can be seen from afar, and it is very comfortable and most of the staff are very nice, but perhaps a bit inexperienced?
We will be coming back shortly, but I am not sure we will choose this hotel again. I am sure it is wonderful for couples who want to sunbathe, swim and relax. And don't have frizzy hair!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Carina_MD, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia de Mar, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Mrs Rese 18,

Thank you for choosing Melia de Mar and thank you for having taken time to write this review. It's trough feedbacks like yours we strive to offer the best service to our clients. We regret deeply that your experience was not at the level that you were expecting. We took good notes of your comments and will take action. We are very glad you liked our hotel, the service and staff.
I sent you as well a private message with my email in case you decide to give us another chance. In your next visit to Palma to make a memorable stay.

Best regards.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was in the hotel during a business trip. Hotel is in a small neighbourhood and quite a walk to either harbour or city center. The rooms (with full sea view!) are well appointed and decorated with domotica in it, although everything appeared in real a bit less upscale than on the pictures and the beds were very hard and noise from neighbours could be heard. Breakfast buffet is one of the better I have seen, as was the dinner that we had (chich included live cooking of solomillo's which were great). And as the hotel was very busy a late check-out (not even an hour) was not possible. All in all including the fairly high-rate no more than average.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the end of the hall-way (les noise) an a high floor (better view).
Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank P456
Carina_MD, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia de Mar, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear P456,

We learn a lot with thecomments of our guests and we will keep on working to achive excellence, so thank you to take some time to write a review about your stay in Melia de Mar. We will tell your comment to our Chef and our Kitchen staff.

Thanks again to share with us your stay.

Kind regards,
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We followed the recommendation of our friends and booked to celebrate our anniversary on 24th May. My husband did not tell me he had booked a private dinner at the beach and surprised me with hundreds of candles leading to our table.

I dont really remember what we had to eat because I just felt happy sitting there at the sea with soft music and my husband next to me.

It was a memorable evening and we decided to stay longer than the weekend. The hotel was fully booked but combined effort of hotel staff made it possible. We stayed until 29th and when we left we knew it was the right thing to do for our marriage.

The hotel is an amazing 5 star hotel and while it is very close to our home in Germany by far better than many so-called 5 star hotels we stayed in the last years all around the world.

We will come back soon! Thankyou for everything.

Room Tip: If you can afford upgrading to "The Level" you should do it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Airporthost
Dear Sabine P,

Thank you very much to share your experience with us!

We're glad to know that you enjoyed our romantic dinner at La Calita, which we prepare carefully in order that every single dinner has personality by itself. And we feel happy when some guest want to stay with us more than expected!

Thanks to take a time writing this review. We look forward to see you soon!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

After a beautiful stay here last year myself and my husband couldn't wait to return this year (29 May - 3 June) how wrong were we!!

Much to our disappointment from the moment we arrived there were a number of conferences being held and they were explained by the hotel they were 'their clients' staying at the hotel. So our expected 5 nights of a romantic and peaceful setting turned into a holiday being overlooked by groups of men (80 men might I add!).

All over the hotel you were surrounded by large noisy groups having breakfast, drinks, lunches and dinner next to us, it was anything but a romantic hotel it felt like it was a free for all of them and as a couple we did not get treated in the right way as they were more concerned of given their 'clients' a wonderful experience.

They were the ones getting the treatment that us as a couple on a meant to be romantic trip away should of got. They were getting served food and drinks first, always being asked if everything was ok it was absolutely disgusting and we will never ever be returning to The Melia de Mar. The staff need to get a lot more experience you do not come over to a table whilst we are having lunch and just take away the pepper without even asking, you do not just offer me a massage after we have complained every single day and near enough in tears and to top it all off we were told by Carina that the Manager 'Tito' could not understand our feelings and therefore had passed the situation to Carina to deal with who offered a bottle of cava, or a treatment in the Spa an absolute disgrace and the management do not know how to run a hotel.

From the time of booking it was in their right to explain to us that there were a number of conferences or whatever they choose to call it, being held at the hotel that particular week/weekend and that the hotel would not have the same feeling as in previous times. There were so many groups of men around it made me as a lady feel very uncomfortable and having to constantly be looked after by my husband it really was an awful experience and we will never be returning. When walking to the ladies I would have to put my towel over or cover myself up if not the three big tables of men would be staring.

If you are expecting that you are going back to what you have previously experienced at the Melia de Mar please please think again this place has gone down hill and do ask them if anything as such is being held during your stay and if it is go to the Marciel! I would like to compliment one thing about the hotel and that is the gentlemen at the door who endeavours to make us happy as guests, he is an absolute compliment to hotel but the only thing that is I'm afraid.

The breakfast is pretty poor and the lunch is over priced we had dinner at Forn de Sant Joan a few times which was the same price as lunch at Melia de Mar!! the standard of food is very poor and they should learn to bring their prices down or up their stand of food.

Room Tip: Dont be happy if you are upgraded to the Level suite, it's not that much of a kind gesture every...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tan019
Dear Tan019,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Melia de Mar for your vacation, as well as for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience.
During conferences when our hotel is fully booked, we try our very best to guarantee that the quality of all our services remains at the demanding level of our standards and that all guests feel comfortable and well atended.

In addition the landscape of our hotel is set up to assure that our guests can always find a quiet and cozy corner,to enjoy the lovely atmosphere of Adults only.

Hopefully we can fulfill your expectations in the near future, and we stay to your entire disposal for any request you might have regarding coming vacations. It is our goal to make our guests enjoy of a splendid holiday, therefore we are always willing to guide you in our call center or through our webpage to make sure that you book in our hotel can make all your wishes come true.

Yours sincerely,
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

As our last stay was 3 years ago -pre Adults Only. We booked 3 nights with the plan being to have a tour & stay in two other hotels on the island...that never materialised! This is why....

After the most refreshing drink & chilled towels to freshen up, we were shown to our room. The 6th floor room (621) overlooked the pool & had amazing views of the bay. Super comfy beds & 'Pillow Menu' ensure a wonderful nights sleep..not to mention the ambient relaxed lighting!
Bathrooms are spacious with double sink, bath & shower & separate walk-in shower, with plenty of soft fluffy towels. The addition of a shaving kit & teeth cleaning kit came in handy as 'someone forgot to pack theirs!
The staff were extremely polite & attentive right down to the maids.

If you can eat at breakfast (I could sit there all morning) I highly recommend it as one of the best I have had anywhere. A plentiful choice, all served with fabulous coffee.

This is a relaxing hotel in a quiet location. Night life is very chilled but there is easy access to Palma should you want more hustle & bustle.
Based on all the above we booked for a further 7 nights and are planing to return for a chill out in a few weeks.

Room Tip: All rooms have stunning views. We prefer floors 5&6 views are unobscured (palm trees in the grou...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Carina_MD, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia de Mar, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear LadyTofLytham,

I'm Carina Nunez, Guest Experience Manager of Hotel Meliá de Mar.

Thank you very much for your kind words. They encourages us to continue working hard as our aim is that our guests meet all their needs and desires.

And thak you also to spend your time sharing with us your experiences in Meliá de Mar.

We will communicate this comment to all the staff and we are looking forward to see you soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We returned for a third stay being welcomed and remembered by name - it felt as if we had come home !This is a superb in every way hotel : the staff are all exceptional, always warm and friendly - nothing was a problem; the hotel is a real icon of design and is immaculate; the attention to detail is what you expect but so often remains undelivered in other hotels; the location is stunning. If you want a great place to chill this is very much a place to consider - I would happily recommend Melia Del Mar as one of the most professionally run hotels we have had the great pleasure to stay in.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CraigD999
Carina_MD, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia de Mar, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Craig D,

I'm Carina Nunez, Guest Experience Manager of Hotel Meliá de Mar.

What a delightful feedback! All Meliá de Mar staff want to thanks you for the feedback of your third stay between us!

Indeed we love to pamper all of our guests and it is our utmost reward to hear such a positive feedback as yours!

We really look forward to welcoming you to your fourth stay at Meliá de Mar

Best Regards,
Carina Nunez,
Guest Experience Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calvia
Hotel Nixe Palace
Sol Beach House Mallorca
Sol Beach House Mallorca
#2 of 39 in Palmanova
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,053 reviews

Been to Gran Melia de Mar? Share your experiences!