“fabulous hotel - boring area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palia Maria Eugenia Hotel

Palia Maria Eugenia Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“fabulous hotel - boring area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

my boyfriend and i (ages 19 & 20) came here in october 2011. the hotel is everything you see in the pictures, the views are amazing and i could sit by the pool all day. the food is standard all inclusive food - don't expect much. the room is standard. the building itself is lovely and the pool area is wonderful. there are lots of activities during the day run by the overly-enthusiastic staff.
the location is so boring! there is a beach which is nice, but there are loads of shops in this little village which are exactly the same and only 1 or 2 restaurants. we could not find anywhere to go.
the area isn't really for a young couple.
but the hotel was really great!
however we may have been the only english people there...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Emma M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

This was a 3 star hotel but with 5 star service throughout. The location is simply superb and the views stunning. The reception staff were lovely, very friendly and very efficient. The entertainment staff were fantastic. There was so much to do, archery, french bowls, shooting, aqua aerobics, exercise classes, sangria - it was great fun. You can also hire bikes or try scuba diving in the pool. There are a lot of French but so what? Language barriers were non existent when you are all enjoying yourselves. The music around the pool area was the best ever, ranging from Reggae to Jazz, to Classic to Pop and there were plenty of quiet areas to go and relax. Apparently this was the first hotel to be built in the resort and you can tell because there is plenty of space everywhere, inside and out. Lots of lovely gardens and the pool is the biggest I have every seen! I cant rate this hotel highly enough. The food was varied and plentiful. They made fresh crepes every day in the afternoon. If anyone gives this hotel a bad review, they are nit picking! It is bright, spacious and very clean. It is a very high standard indeed for a three star. Also the beds are really comfy and the pillows. Everything was just brill. The rooms facing the the shops and bars are a bit nosier but not too extreme that a pair of ear plugs wont sort. Definitely one of the best we have been too. Something for everyone, couples, families or just to chill on your own.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are stunning
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank smokybandit
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Reading all the reviews from this previously gave me different perspectives on the hotel. But when I went all I can say is, that it is a lovely hotel and is definitely great for the money you pay for it. Its clean throughout and I think really for a three star hotel the cleanliness is rather exceptional. Staff were lovely, their English may not be great but you got to give them credit for trying to speak like 5 different languages. They were very welcoming, friendly and helpful which is probably a lot better than what you would ever get over here. They had a wide selection of food which most people would enjoy, but I only struggled a little because I'm a really fussy eater so I can't really say much on the matter.
The room I had was on the third floor at the front end, where it faces all the shops and bars. The noise created was a little loud but I was so tired by the end of the night I fell straight asleep every night and never once woke up until our last night where two drunk lads were being rowdy. Matresse's are very comfortable! They are memory foam, so it was pretty nice. The room was very clean when we arrived and the cleaners cleaned them every day which is more than what I was expecting. The only downfall is there wasn't no air con which would have been nice but the fan was absolutely fine and done the job.
The swimming pool is massive! and is very clean in and around it. The bar right next door is very nice, I could have as many drinks as I wanted as I was all inclusive, always flowing. They also provide snacks too, like hot dogs, burgers and chips through the afternoon and pancakes after. There is also pots of ice cream too.
Location is pretty much faultless if you want to mainly relax. Beach is a 10 minute walk away from the hotel, down a few stairs but it was okay. Shops and bars are right opposite the hotel and there's plenty of them. But if you want to go other places like water parks and that, you would need to travel quite a bit to get there.
Overall this is a very nice hotel and is to a very high standard for just a 3 star hotel. I would definitely recommend coming here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Kirsty N
Wiltshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Me, my boyfriend and best friend have just returned from a week at this hotel. We felt a review was needed, after reading the mixed reviews we were a bit worried about this hotel. The hotel was French but the majority of the staff could speak English and we did not have any communication problems during our stay. The pool was huge and meant there was plenty of room to swim without disturbing or being disturbed by others. There was also plenty of sunbeds to go around but we did find it better to claim our beds earlier in the morning to get a spot that offered some shade. The walk to the beach was about 5-10 mins long but did not seem it as the walk itself had stunning views the whole way and was smoothly paved. The food was amazing and we were constantly full after huge meals 3 times a day. There were a few staple dishes but there was a constant variety with others. Not all dishes were labelled but it was pretty clear what it was, if not it was simple enough to ask one of the staff. The bar was right next to the pool and the bartenders were over generous with their portions of alcohol. The room was spotless and as was the bathroom. The shower was good quality and even though there was no aircon, it was not needed as a fan was supplied which did the job specially with the balcony door open. Just opposite the hotel was a series of shops including mini supermarkets where we were able to pick up litre bottles of cheap bottled water for the room. The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and tried to get you involved as much as possible in any activities they put on. Our transfers were done with holiday taxis which was fantastic. The journey was just over an hour on an air-conditioned coach. Easy check-in on arrival and the next morning we were able to rent the safe in our room for a week so we had no worries about any of our valuables. Even though the majority of the hotel did have foreign guests, that's pretty much expected in a European country and there were still a few English families there. Do not listen to bad reviews, this hotel was very nice and was excellent value for money! We would happily return for another trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Luke H
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

lovely hotel, recently partially reburbished, very clean, bright airy rooms, (although some of the bedroom furniture leaves a lot to be desired!).
Good location, between the sea and the town, Lovely views of the sea unless ones room happens to be on the town side of the hotel, where the noise from the local night club goes on until 5.30 am. Spacious grounds with large pool and pleasant gardens overlooking the sea

Very polite staff, but i didnt realize when i booked that this hotel caters mainly for the french. All entertainment is conducted in french as were the food discription signs on the counters in the dining rooms (untill i complained).
So unless one is fluent in french you cant take part in any activities.

Air conditioning in the bedrooms would be better.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room overlooking the sea, our sleep was constantly disturbed until 6am every mor...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank noel2000
Kings Lynn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

This hotel is lovely. The rooms were a decent size, and were very clean, the balcony was great and had a lovely view, even though we were not facing the pool/sea areas. The staff were helpful, friendly and polite, even though they spoke very little English. I was told the food was great, they had a huge selection of food for all three meals, and had burgers, sausages, chips and crepes during the day as 'snacks', most evenings there was fish as well as rabbit, duck, chicken and pork but unfortunately for me the vegetarian option wasn't all that great and I pretty much lived on chips. The drink availability was great, all local spirits were included in the 'all inclusive' and their measures of alcohol were pretty extreme. The swimming pool area was lovely, we were very fortunate when we went as there were not too many people there so we always managed to get a seat, and there were plenty of sun loungers to go around. The beach was about a 10 minute walk from the hotel, down quite a few steps, the walk was very hot, but had beautiful views, and was definitely worth it as the beach was perfect, with lovely clear water. There was plenty to do at the hotel including football, basket ball, shooting, table tennis and yoga, however being English, we never really understood what was going on. All the entertainment staff were French, and spoke little to no English they were still friendly but we just had language barriers so we all just sat and watched them being mental instead of joining in. The evening entertainment was all French again, so we just made our own entertainment. There were loads of bars, shops and restaurants opposite the hotel which was ideal as we really enjoyed looking round them, and there are a couple of 'crazy golf' courses in the area too. There are a couple of cheap car rental places in the shopping area bit, which is a good idea for a day out as we drove up the coast and really enjoyed it, and there is also a glass bottom Catamaran that goes from the cliffs just up the way from the hotel too. On arrival, we had to put a 10 euro deposit down for the all inclusive but we did get it back at the end, which was a bit random. Overall, this hotel was lovely, no real complaints about it, everyone was friendly and we would definitely go back. Don't let the bad reviews put you off as it really was a great holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank HollieWollie
Shepton Mallet, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I do not normally write reviews as I find this a waste of time. However in this occasion, after reading the previous reviews here and having to experienced it first hand --it felt like I have to share my opinion to give credit where it is due. I must say I am neutral on this and I'll give you guys my honest take on Palia Maria Eugenia Hotel...and much more. I'll try my best on 're to give everyone the whole picture on what to expect and hopefully we'll help you guys make the right decision for your holiday.

First of all, me and my English partner are both British but of totally different backgrounds. So, this review alone will basically give you folks two different perspectives in terms of standards and expectations. We flew easy jet, cramp and full of rowdy (or over joyed), drunk (or getting there sort of thing...)and noisy blokes from our home land, England. Well, not a new thing for all of us, isn't it!?...so in short, NO chance of getting the much needed two and half hour kip on the way to Palma, Majorca as we both had worked the night before this 6.20am flight. After collecting our luggage, instruction for our transfer was to go between Gate F and G. Forget about the G, went to Gate F and found Transunion office as we bear on the left. Transunion transfer confirmed our hotel booking and gave us instruction for the return trip from the hotel. Nice reception here and instructions was very clear. Went on to the bus and we were told that it will take between more than an hour to three to get to our final destination as waiting time for the other passengers was very unpredictable. Nice bus driver --surprisingly!!!(not your typical main land Spanish driver), brilliant weather and pleasant journey.... (warning: Avoid ResortHoppa transfers by all means!!!)

We arrived in this hotel at 12.00pm, check-in was painless, smooth and swift. €20 euros deposit for our AI wrist bands, €20 for a week safe rent plus €10 safe key deposit. All deposits were refundable upon check out. Internet was free for 10 minutes a day (per gadget). Ten minutes is nothing so we did not bother asking for the code everyday, instead, we paid €30 euros for a week unlimited (1gig speed limit)WiFi and will only work on one gadget. So don't try it on your iPhone if you have a laptop or tablet as it will only register one IP address and you wont be able to use it with other equipments you have. 512mb is also available for €20, too slow for my liking. Reception was very friendly and speaks good english. Like what everyone was moaning about in their reviews, YES, this hotel caters predominantly to French population, roughly about 97% of the clients, and the rest were Polish, German, and others. Half of the staff are Spanish and the other, oh well make a good guess, obviously French. Animation team were all French and speaks very little English. That's the downside, as most of the staff as well as most holiday makers will assume you speak French. Not a big issue really, we just had to say "we don't speak French" --end of! And they won't bother you anymore. Mind you people, it's not just this hotel that you will find French people, I think they're all over the island especially Calas de Mallorca area. So if you have a problem with them, this is not the place for you, and if you want British crowd, i strongly suggest Blackpool, Devon, or Lyme Regis. Anyways, we've been on a boat trip that went to different parts of the island and I only recall hearing very few people who speak English. Even in the beach, you would hardly hear the english language there. However, I must say, it was really peasant and weird in a way as you don't have to worry about on what you wanna say, and with that, people won't even attempt to bother you whilst you're relaxing on the beach. So it's not a bad thing at all. No sun shades merchants on the beach (very nice!!!) and no massage offer as well. Just plain normal beach goers! The beach, it's about 10 to 15 minutes walk from this hotel, depending on how fit you are. If you have a mobility issue you'll get stuck by the hotel pool area. Not a bad thing to say the least, as there were plenty of space in and around the pool, and the sun beds, oh well, you don't have hug one all day as its of the abundance throughout our stay. And whilst you're stuck around the pool area, you won't get bored in the mornings as the Animation team works tirelessly from 10.00am doing exercises, yoga, and dances with whoever wants to joint them. After that they will engage the visitors on games like play by the pool, basketball, tennis, table tennis, etc.... These guys are amazing. They're full of life and always want to make sure everyone is having fun and having a good time. How they do it day in and day out is beyond me. I've said this because they do the entertainment in the evenings as well and will finish their work around 11.30pm. Even when they are not doing activities, during the afternoon, they go around and mess about (do not fall as sleep in the afternoon when you're on your sun bed as you will end up with green finger nails and toe nails), they make a fool of themselves to entertain us and to keep our smiles on our faces. These guys as well as the rest of the staff were so friendly (specially Paco and Owner/manager --we didn't get his name). They always make sure all the guest are comfortable and always having fun. Once you meet them it would not matter if you're in a 3 star hotel (I will get to the hotel stuff in a minute...lol) as these guys hit the top of my scale --they are the heart & soul of this hotel. It's a shame we don't understand French, it would have been a blast for us! Entertainments in the evenings were very very armature-ish but very entertaining and fun to watch. I think that what's matter as these animation guys are not professional performers --they were there to make us all laugh and enjoy our holidays, of which, we thought they were very successful with. (mind you, we never understood a single word they uttered ).

Now going to the hotel itself, it's a 3 star. Nothing more! Hotel is close to everything you would possibly need on a holiday. Location is very good, shopping centre is across the road, and the choices of what to buy was endless. If you end up needing a Doctor, they're 5 minutes walk as well as the chemist. Restaurants, pubs, disco, play area, etc. were all very close by. Hotel reception was nice and its lounge/waiting area is very spacious. We were put on to the noisy side of the hotel (as some reviewers here claimed that this side is for British people). Not really sure how true that is, however, we preferred this side as you can actually gauge what was it's like out in the pubs before you actually go out. Its very noisy if you leave your balcony door open(as most guest do) in the evenings. We preferred it shut as night life here carried on 'till about 5.30 in the morning (it gets lively from 12.00mid-night). Most reviews here highlighted the issue of not having air conditioning, oh well, the ceiling fan was more than adequate for us specially mid-night onwards. My partner even used a blanket on the first two nights. During day time it wasn't really an issue as we went out there to get hot weather in the first place...duh! Having read the reviews prior to our holiday, we did not expect much, actually, we anticipated worse. Room was very basic and dated, tv, side table, a couple of chairs, balcony table and chairs, two single beds (put them together to make a double, bed very comfortable and similar feel to a memory mattress), and basic toilet and bath. Shower was fine till after five days of our stay where most of the hotel guests arrived. This is simple logic and no one to blame. I read here that cleaners don't clean the rooms everyday --Not true!!! We saw them every single day of our stay here (at least on our floor). All you need to do is put your signage on the door knob to say "make the room" and if you put this up everyday then you'll get your room cleaned everyday...it's as simple as that! When we refused to have our room cleaned the maid even insisted if she could at least collect the rubbish, and even offered to change our towels that was just changed the day before. Yes, the towels were not brand spanking new and some of them have seen better days, but hey, they were very clean!

Ok, the food.. Not labelled! Breakfast was fantastic according to my partner (i beg to differ). Breakfast was mainly bacon, eggs, baked beans, sausages (half cooked), cereals and different sort of breads and fruits. Dinner and tea I've found really good in the first five days of our holiday. I never really took notice of any repeat dishes until the 6th day. All meat and fish dishes was freshly cooked, although some were under (rare) cooked as you would expect from a mass produced meals. Dishes were French inspired meals, but there's always something for everyone to like such as chips. They served this most of the time, and during meal times red wine, rose, beer, juices and soda just flow endlessly. You can actually fill a jug with the refreshment you fancy to go with your meal...and guess what? They're not watered either. Even at the bar, drinks were proper and not diluted with water. They served very strong alcohol no matter what you order from the bar. So no issues here unless you can't hold your drink and end up in a fight!...lol. Bar closes at 11.00pm and you've got to pay afterwards.

Thus, the only gripe we have about this hotel was when our toilet flush broke. We immediately reported it and they were not quick to send a handy man --actually, in all honesty, they did not send anyone at all, and we had to use the ground floor toilet as we did not want to embarrass ourselves in case someone turn up to fix it. Luckily, this happened nearer the end of our holiday and there wasn't much to moan about. Again, five star service is only expected on a five star hotels.

The biggest surprise for us came on our last day when we checked out. As promised, all deposits were refunded and there were no hidden charges. AI wrist bands were supposed to be cut off upon receipt of our deposit on check out. Thus, as soon as the reception person notice our pick-up time (7.20 pm/over seven hours wait) they allowed us to keep our wrist bands (for free) so we won't go hungry and still have access to the bar for drinks until pick-up time. Nice touch, and saved us from going out for lunch and from spending more. I think they bent the rule on this one for us; it was clearly stated that if the guest wish to keep their wrist bands up to pick-up time they will forfeit the €10 (per person) deposit.

Our verdict... It delivered of what was expected, and more! Will we go back for another holiday? No, because we don't normally go back to the same place as we like to see different places every time we go away --so the hotel has nothing to do with this. Would we recommend this hotel to a friend?--ABSOLUTELY!!! Just be realistic with your expectations and do not forget how much you've paid for it... five days stay is more than enough in this hotel and area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Club Hotel Tropicana Mallorca
Club Hotel Tropicana Mallorca
#4 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,116 reviews

Been to Palia Maria Eugenia Hotel? Share your experiences!