“POINT FROM A 15 YEAR OLD!- take my advice.”
Review of HYB Eurocalas

HYB Eurocalas
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“POINT FROM A 15 YEAR OLD!- take my advice.”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Ok. I have been on many holidays in the past, mainly because my parents like to travel - this gives me at least some experience.
When we first arrived at this apart hotel with thought meh not bad, our room was at the place called the "formentera' or something like that and our room was on the first floor. This gave us an advantage to go out quickly and reserve the seats by the swimming pool in the morning. Which by the way you need to do even though it says you can't - People still do it! So anyway that was the advantage however the disadvantage was the fact that there was a considerable amount of noise.
Moving on, I've read a some of the other reviews which say something about there being bugs and ants.. well we didn't find any AT ALL. However if you are allergic to wasps then this isnt the hotel for you. Outside people leave drinks around and a lot of them get spilled so wasps are there pretty much all of the time - there isnt loads of them but they are there.
There is a food bar outside by the pool which was good and a wide range of drinks.
BUT the food in the actual restaurant is not that good. I am definitely not a fussy eater but the fact that I got food poisoning says a lot about their food. They do try to make it fun but it's just that the restaurant and its food just bring the whole apart hotel down. The food was cold and yes it was nice but would you risk getting food poisoning + at various times we found dirty plates and definitely dirty glasses.
Also there is quite a lot of different nationalities there - mostly German. They are really friendly personally i loved this trip because as a 15 year old I had fun and feel in love with this german guy and we are in contact now on facebook so yes that was fun. The beach is not the far away depends on what beach you want to go on- There is a beach like 10 minutes away (BY FOOT) and there is absolutely no point in taking this train which actually is like a mini bus. Then there is also another beach but that is much further away its like maybe 30 mins Im going to guess. The beaches are good the water is nice and blue and you could definitely have fun there.

Room Tip: Ok- think about it when you are on the lower floor you get to put out your towels quicker in the mor...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
13 Thank Emilija J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Before I went to this hotel I read a number of reviews both good and bad. There is some truth in both of them but a lot is down to personal tolerance/reaction. I realize that someone's opinion is likely to be swayed by whether you visited height of season or, like me, end of season. For me, the value of this hotel was fantastic. For what we paid in total we could have spent in buying three meals a day and drinks in a bar.

Hotel in general
Grounds well maintained. Lots of sports facilities. Showing signs of age though some refurbishment has been carried out. Plenty of sunbeds. On site shop. On site launderette. Main and children's swimming pool.

Reception
In general the reception staff were friendly and helpful. What I noticed is that, if they think you are complaining they are quick to go on the defensive probably due to having had some awkward customers.

Accommodation
Clean but sparsely furnished - partly got round by using the table and chairs outside on the inside. Obviously used to be an aparthotel and facilities like fridge and cooking rings did work but there are no utensils apart from some glasses.

Dining
For me, same as mainland Spain - I do not like Spanish cooking (as opposed to Spanish food) but because of the extensive choice I managed ok. Staff work very hard to make sure food is replaced when finished, tables are cleared and dining room is kept clean (permanent member of staff sweeping the floor, little niceties like spills at the sauce station being cleared up rather than left to congeal.

Restaurant opens at 08:00 and then food is available (via the snack bar outside restaurant times) until 21:30

Entertainment
None during the day (might be different in height of season). Children's then adult entertainment. Children's entertainment repetitive but allowed children of different nationalities to learn and join in (Songs in English, Spanish, German and French). Adult entertainment was either an act or something like bingo or a male v. female challenge. Geared towards Germans.

Bar
All drinks served in plastic cups but no problem in obtaining multiple drinks. One loopy barman.

Main gripe was that the wi-fi was inadequate. There are wasps outside the snack bar at the slush and drinks points but what do you expect? We had ants in the room but after informing reception the cleaning staff applied ant killer and repellent and the only other problem I had was after leaving a glass out with Irish Cream in it - doh. BTW the water in Majorca really doesn't taste like it oughter (even the bottled water went scummy in the kettle).

Room Tip: We upgraded to an apartment for 140 euros. If we had done it through the travel agent it would have...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ag_Surfer
england
Reviewed October 20, 2012

just come back from a weeks stay at this hotel with my husband,the transfer from the airport to the eurocalas takes about 1 hour 50 mins,which is quite a trek,espcially if you have a early flight home,as we did and was picked up at 6.20am,when we arrived was greeted by a nice receptionist,some are frosty,shown our hotel block,which was behind the tennis courts,there are 4 blocks and we were in the oldest,its like a block of flats,but inside was nice,we had an ajoining room,they had 3 children,and can get really noisy,as the walls are thin,the bathroom is very small, but not a problem,all the staff were lovely,espcially the bar staff and restaurant,food was really nice and always plenty to choose from,wine,beer,all soft drinks on tap,to help yourself,at the bar drinks are served in plastic cups,not a problem,the only thing i didnt agree with is kids are allowed to sit around bar and drink,(only soft drinks)and you cant get to the bar,if you dont mind dutch and germans you are fine,we didnt realise it was their childrens half term,so lots of children,were there,entertainment was poor,nothing in english,but dont let it put you off,this hotel was a very good 3 star,and the best thing,PLENTY OF SUNBEDS YIPPEEEE

Room Tip: ask for a block around the pool area or you could be put in the old block out thye way,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mollypollyEngland
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

When I booked ths holiday I asked the Thomas Cook rep for a quite hotel within walking distance of nice bars and restaurants, how wrong they got it.

Good Points - Hotel was clean and food was good with good choice, got good service at the bar even though it was busy, (tipping always works) Swimming pools were good and always lots of sunbeds available on the grassed area if you couldn't get near the pool. Beaches in this area are lovely although crowded.

Bad points - Our room was next down to the top floor of a tower block which was just like any block of flats on a council estate, (nothing wrong with council estates but not what you expect on holiday). Once inside, the room was really nice. Our problem was we had our first 3 nights without sleep. Noise from people above unbelievable late at night and early morning, Would come back in the afternoon to try to get some sleep but furniture being moved around constantly. The walls were so thin we were woken up every morning to the man next door breaking wind, sounded like a brass band every morning and this is no joke this is the truth,. We asked to be moved but was told by the guy with the fair curly hair going bald on reception that the hotel was full and they did not have one spare room available, basucally he didn;t want to know. Showers in the evening were always luke warm or cold and the smell from the toilet of a night was unbearable, after the first night I bought some bleach and disinfectant and would pour it down the toilet before we went to bed it didn't help much, don't know why this happened as during the day it was fine. We ended up renting a bungalow not far from the complex for the rest of the holiday and just coming back to the hotel for our meals as we had already paid for an all inclusive holiday and had the added expense of rental.

I would never come back to this hotel or Calais de Mallorca but would recommend it for large families and groups as the hotel does have alot of family amenities but was no good for an older couple.

Our flight home was at 11.00am the shuttle bus picked us up at 5.30am and the last pick up was 8,20 we must have stopped at about 20 hotels just picking couples up all the way, not what you want so early in the morning.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the tower blocks unless you get the top floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
Reviewed October 8, 2012

booked a quick week away( through travel republic) to this hotel.Used ryanair(cheapest flight price)but an evening flight arriving 21-30 approx on evening.Because of distance booked shuttle transfer.It took 1hr 45mins(not advisable)Were hungry and parched by the time we arrived.
Book in at hotel was efficient and prompt,they opened up the restaurant for us BRILLIANT!
The rooms we booked were studio,large,microwave,hobs,sofa,double bed,seperate bath/shower+ large balcony(Ibiza block) overlooked pool,had sea & mountain views.Pool large with seperate kiddies section no problem with beds.Bar open untill midnight however last orders 23-45.Staff reasonably efficient although some of the younger ones a bit arrogant.Good selection of beer,wine,spirits&cocktails.
Restaurant very good loads of fresh bread,salads cold.
meats,cheeses.Hot food consisted of variety-fish,pork,chicken,veg,soup.Fries,burgers,fish fingers,pizza for the kiddies.
Animation team on the go all the while(aqua arobics,salsa,zumba,footy.darts,polo.volleyball etc
not for me though I was there to relax.
10/15 min walk into centre same to a lovely cove nearby.
Hadn't been to spain for over 25 yrs.On the whole I was very impressed,couldn't have asked for any more.
P.s. weather was brilliant which does help

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank mikeykeen
Rhondda Cynon Taff
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just got back from hotel eurocalas 3 adults 1 child, what a fantastic holiday would return to this hotel at anytime. We arrived at the hotel about 12.15 in the evening after everything had closed we were greeted by lovely reception staff and given our room key and info about food time, they then offered us a cold buffet and drink in the restaurant. We had a room in Majorca block on the 8th floor room 1805 what a fantastic room with a stunning view would as for this room again, there is 4 pools which where cold but nice, no trouble getting sun lounger, food was lovely and the animation team work really hard something for kids all day and big kids who what to try different things archery, shooting, shuffle board etc, my daughter enjoyed all the entertainment and so did my husband.
All staff where friendly right down to the cleaners couldn't ask for a better holiday to break up the winter was sorry to leave.

Room Tip: Great view from higher floors
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Shellyport
London
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have just returned from Eurocalas on the 21st September and was there for 7 nights with my husband for our 1st wedding anniversary. I tend to only do Tripadvisor reviews when I feel a place hasn’t been reviewed rightly and there were quite a few negative reviews on here before I went so I felt I needed to write a review to let you know what you pay for and what to expect.
This is a 3* hotel so please do not go there expecting exceptional service and pure luxury, it does exactly what it says on the tin!
Yes it is along way from Palma Airport (2 hours there and 3 hours back) depending on how many pick ups you do each way etc, but to be honest it’s the complete opposite side of the island so if you don’t want a huge transfer go to somewhere on the south coast of Majorca. We knew about this transfer so made sure we had drinks etc and I actually enjoyed the transfer because it meant you saw other parts of Majorca.
We arrived at 1pm and our room wasn’t ready which was totally fine seeing as check in is 2pm, they have a room for your luggage and you get given your all inclusive arm band straight away and can use anything you want so we went and had lunch and then by the time we had done that check in to our room was available.

The rooms: they are pretty basic but totally fine and plenty enough space, we were in Formentera building which is the furthest away from everything but lovely and quiet, not a great view from the 1st floor, the pool if you looked to the right over the balcony and just a football pitch ahead but this was fine, why would you be in your room all day anyway? If you want the blocks with views I would suggest Menorca or Ibiza which look onto one of the big pools and out over to the sea. They are cleaned every other day and to an ok standard, clean towels and they make the beds, although I think 1 maid of ours must have thought my bed making was good enough because she didn’t change it! We had a little kitchenette with fridge, cooker and cupboards which was handy for more space. The walls are thin especially if you have a joining door to another room but never mind unless they are crazy rowing we didn’t have an issue. The beds aren’t the comfiest but that’s the norm with Mediterranean hotels. I just improvised and put blankets underneath me and we used 2 pillows and it was fine.

Food: The restaurant is fine, yes it is all self service for drinks and food but that’s not a problem as there are at least 4 drink stations with lots of soft drinks, then wine (red and white) and sangria, beer and water. They have plenty of food choice so anyone who struggles with food I don’t know what they tend to eat all the time. The food is very geared towards the Germans but to be honest it’s a huge percentage of the guests they have. A lot of the food is pickled and they include gherkins in quite a few salads which wasn’t a problem for me but was my husband! Every lunch and dinner there was always so much choice, cold meats, cheeses, salads, hot meat, rice, fried food etc. My only issue is every meal it was chips and more chips, all I wanted was maybe one more potato choice but as I said plenty of rice and veg etc so just choose wisely. The dessert selection is fab, all the cakes are delicious, if they make them onsite they have a very talented dessert chef! Plenty of fruit and nice little ice cream tubs. Breakfast you had a huge choice too, the coffee machines seemed to have an issue when we were there so I missed a good coffee in the morning but by the time the snack bar had opened you could get one there so no worries at all.
The snack bar is good, salads, fruit, crisps, biscuits etc and burgers, chips if you wanted something a bit more. They have drinks outside and inside which leads me to several people commenting on here about the wasps, yes there are lots of wasps around the drinks machine outside and I am petrified of them but what do you expect? 4 slush machines, beer and coke it’s a wasps dream, all you have to do is walk inside all of 10 metres and 1 or 2 wasps if that by these machines it really isn’t an issue. They do fly around the drinks but that’s only if you leave them sitting there all day or if anything is spilt but just have some common decency and put things straight in the bin!!

Overall hotel: really nice, big bar where the staff work so hard taking about 5 drinks orders at a time from all different people, they can be a bit funny about how many drinks you order but we always got 3 or 4 at a time, just tip them and they treat you better which is a standard anyway. There is huge outside bit for the evening entertainment, good spa shop selling everything you need food and souvenir wise and it is pretty much priced as the shops in town, nicely kept grounds, anyone who says they didn’t see anyone cleaning the whole time they were there I don’t know how they didn’t, they are continuously cleaning the grounds and making sure everything looks nice! The animation team are great, they aren’t in your face at all but try to encourage a good time and do zumba, aqua gym, football, darts, shuffleboard and try in the evening to put on a good show. They did about 2 shows and then they had external people too, the Brazilian night was good! The songs they love dancing too do get repetitive but hey your on holiday it’s all part and parcel of it! The pools are lovely, cold but fine once you get used to them and the slides are good fun! We spent all our time by the one by the snack bar, never an issue with getting a sun lounger even at 1030am/11am!

My only issue with the hotel was the reception staff, they aren’t the friendliest, once I stood there and 2 of them ignored me for a few minutes just chatting away to each other and the whole checking out process annoyed me. we weren’t leaving until very late that evening and they say you can have your room longer for an extra cost which was no issue at all but to come and ask the day before, so we did, we got looked at like we were crazy no come on your check out day before 8am (so great on the last day alarm goes off at 730 on our last day) we went down and then got told to go back at 9 so we did to then be told no your room has definitely gone, ok so what about another one, they snapped no we don’t do that. We can give you a room to shower in, ok that’s not too bad, the room turns out to basically be a sauna by the pool with a shower, not particularly pleasant and then we ended up looking really pikey having to sort out suitcases out in the reception area!!

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the centro commercial which is good for shops and a few bars and restaurants. It isn’t the liveliest place in the world but if you want that go to Alcudia or Magaluf!! It was quite busy one evening when Champions League football was on. We visited Los Amigos Restaurant and all I can say is don’t bother!!

The beaches are beautiful, Cala Antena is about 10 minutes from the hotel and is down a lot of steps but is very pretty and we just admired the view from the road, if you are able it is lovely to walk up the cliff next to it and around the coast path. Cala Domingos is easy to get too and doesn’t have a lot of steps and is huge, its 12 euros for 2 sunloungers and an umbrella which is reasonable enough all day and there is an ok self service restaurant with a lovely view and a snack bar right on the beach, we thoroughly enjoyed our day there.

All in all would we go back? To Calas de Mallorca most definitely but probably to Hotel America as I know people who have stayed there before and loved it and it by far has the best location in the resort right on the beach. If I could get a really cheap deal to Eurocalas I would go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Club Hotel Tropicana Mallorca
Club Hotel Tropicana Mallorca
#4 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,138 reviews

Been to HYB Eurocalas? Share your experiences!