“Kid friendly but definitely NOT baby friendly!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cala Mondrago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Airdrie, United Kingdom
“Kid friendly but definitely NOT baby friendly!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was our first family holiday with our 1year old and having read previous reviews we felt this hotel was ideal as it is family friendly. I would say this is true if you have children older than about 3 or 4. As mentioned we have a 1year old so when we were placed on the top floor of the apartments with 4 flights of stairs up it was a nightmare going up and down all day with the buggy. Our apartment was also 5mins away from the main complex where everything is and the amount of stairs to get anywhere in this place is crazy, def not suitable for a buggy. I did read prev reviews about the stairs but its not until you are there tackling them yourself you realise its a nightmare. If you want to be anywhere near the main bit you have to buy priority/vip rooms. There was a baby pool just down from our apartment so we thought at least this would be ideal but the water was ice cold and for babies not suitable. Our daughter spent the whole time up round our necks avoiding the water. This meant the pool was a write off. What's left to do with a one year old then? The beach? Well we tried the beach which was nice but when our daughter started eating the sand and rubbing it in her eyes, again this was ruled out (obv this part the hotel can't help with). Had the baby pool been heated it would have been better. All that is left on holiday normally to do is to go walks or go to the shops, well this hotel is in the middle of nowhere and doesn't have any of this. There is a small super market on the complex and a couple of shops and that's it. There isn't even a chemist and when both my partner and myself had a 24hour bug we were advised we would need to phone a doctor. I would say take your own supplies and don't forget like we did! The hotel itself is spotless and lovely and the staff are great. I would say if you hav kids that are aged for the kids club they will love it based on the evening entertainment for kids we seen. The food was also good although there is hardly anything for the kids, they should really fix this. I have never wrote a review before but feel like anyone travelling with a 1year old should avoid this hotel. We spent most of our time in the apartment and feel like this was a total waste of money. Heated pool is a must for a baby I rekon. If I hadn't already booked a holiday abroad in jan and it was non refundable I would hav cancelled after this experience, luckily there are 3 heated pools and things to do outside the complex!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank yvonne2212
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Club Cala Barca, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Yvonne,

First of all we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our IBEROSTAR Club Cala Barca hotel for your first family holidays and for the time you spent to write your impressions about your stay as it is our best way to know where we can still improve in our daily services in order to deliver unforgettable vacation experiences to our guests.

We lament reading your disappointment on the layout of our resort and would like to suggest that for any upcoming holiday with IBEROSTAR, you get in contact with our call center where we can offer you a personalized booking guidance and give you all the relevant information for you to choose the destination, hotel type and services that best fit all your family holiday needs and wishes.

On the other hand, we thank you for your highlight on the cleanliness of our installations because, as you well say, our resort is family friendly and we want to give total confidence in this area knowing that this may be one of the most important concerns for parents with young children.

We also thank you for letting us know that our culinary offer could satisfy you. The gastronomy is an important facet of our company and we do our utmost to please all palates. It is enjoyable to read that we could conquer yours and we commit to take your suggestion for a specific kid’s buffet into consideration to ensure wholesome and balanced meals for our little guests, however we would like to point out that our buffet offers on a daily basis a wide range of vegetables, salads, grilled meat or fish and a choice of rice or pastas.

Last but not least, thank you for your nice comments on our staff, we are glad to read that you felt well cared after during your stay among us.

Once again thank you for your visit, we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again in our IBEROSTAR hotels worldwide in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Club Cala Barca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I wasn't sure about going to this hotel as some of the reviews were off putting.
We went as a large familyof 13 adults and 3 under school age children and went out of school holiday time for 10 days.
We were lucky enough to get rooms near to the facilities and pretty close to each other, but we did ask for this when booking and with a further email to the hotel itself.
First of all cleanliness - absolutley spot on. The pool area, bars restaurants, gardens and walkways were kept spotless. Even with the little ones mess the staff were constantly cleaning.

Staff - Always friendly and polite and couldn't do enough to help.

Animation/games staff - One in particular "Marius" what a fun guy, he made all the game facilities such as archery, darts, boules, water plol and rifle shooting so much fun. A real asset to the hotel. The shows were not bad for this type of holiday.

Food - Quite Satisfactory good for the amount of people they had to cook for. We could always find something we liked even if everything wasn't to our taste.

Room - Lovely and clean with plently of wardrobe space. A/C didn't seem to work well and you needed to keep the key card in the slot for it to have any effect.

Lots of facilities for children but I wouldn't want to go in the peak season as I would imagine it would be very crowded by the pools and in the dining areas.
I would recommend this hotel for families with young children but not for couples on there own.
As a large family I would definately go back again.

Room Tip: Rooms in block 55 and 54 are ideal for families with children and those who dont want to walk too fa...
1 Thank Paula501
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have to say my husband and I were so disappointed with our stay at Iberostar. We asked to change our room - Well what a hassle that was. I have never felt so disappointed with how we were treated by the staff on the reception. One lady did try to be helpful but she did get frustrated when I refused to accept a free lunch. I did explain that I was not on holiday for a free lunch - I was on holiday to be treated like all the other guests by being in a room that was not situated above the restaurant and one that did not have an air ventilation shaft making a noise outside. Have to say food not of 4 star standard. Too far out of the way for a couple. Sorry will never be back and will not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

8 Thank flack2013
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Club Cala Barca, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Although we deeply lament reading that your stay at our IBEROSTAR Club Cala Barca was not as enjoyable as it could have been we are grateful for the time you spent to share your personal impressions on your stay so we can take your vision into consideration to enhance our guests’ experiences among us.

We are very sorry to hear that your room didn’t meet your expectations, and that we weren’t able to offer you an alternative accommodation for the same room type being fully booked during your stay, we then would like to suggest for any upcoming holiday planning that you contact the hotel that you are going to visit prior to your arrival in order to make a request for a more quiet area; moreover we invite you to visit our website or contact our call center where we can offer you a personalized booking guidance for you to choose the destination, hotel type and services that best fit your holiday needs and wishes for you to fully enjoy your vacation among us.

In IBEROSTAR we understand cuisine as a delicious blend of essences and nuances, this is why our expert team of Chefs strives on a daily basis to prepare a wide variety of local and international delights to please all palates, we are sorry we couldn’t conquer yours.

Once again, thank you for your visit, we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of serving you again in our hotels worldwide ensuring you in advance of our utmost care and dedication.

Friendly Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We just got back from a week here, booked last minute through Thomas Cook. Having read the last most recent reviews I thought I had a good idea of what to expect.

We booked a one bedroom appt, but looking at the hotel website I could see the were refurbished room available, plus different suite options. I emailed the hotel explaining we had booked for a special occasions and asked to arrange for a bottle of champagne in our room on arrival, plus the prices for an upgrade. Reception emailed back saying it would be fine and gave prices for an upgrade which we accepted.

Upon arrival, the check in guy gave us his congratulations and said that in addition to our upgrade we paid for to a junior suite, they would upgrade us to a full suite without further charge, plus give us free wifi, and spa treatments. We also hat the champagne delivered to our room. Now, although we were really impressed with this, I don't suppose it would have happened in high season. As it was our room was great, with a day bed on the balcony and a great view of the entertainment stage.

As for the resort, as others say, it was always spotless - the cleaning team worked throughout the day and there was also a lot of other work going on, we saw painters working and other maintinence men.

The pools were beautiful, but FREEZING! So cold I could only dangle my feet in. The sea was much warmer in comparison. I don't know why this was but we would have enjoyed ourselves more could we have managed to get in the pools. We could always get a sun bed, even when only coming to the pools early afternoon. I can see how during the busy season this wouldn't been doable.

The food was good. Very tasty, but a bit repetitive. We also noticed that sometimes cheaper cuts of meat were used, ie chicken thighs. Is just mean that you had to take more as the bits you took wouldn't have much meat on. This was a minor gripe though. There was a lot of choice each day and if you like fish then you are on to a winner. We ate in the Mediterranean restaurant once, which was quiter than the main restaurant as you had to book. We didn't have an issue with the main restaurant though, each meal we had no issues finding tables. This would be different when busy again.

The animation team work very hard, and I was impressed with the amount of languages they speak. Violetta and Mauris were both very friendly to us, didn't have much dealing with the others.
The evening entertainment from outside was hit and miss. Some were ok, but the Legends show was frankly awful! There does seem to be a 2 week rotation though, so we may have missed the good ones. The children's disco was always very popular. We found we could always get seats near the front if we waited for the children's disco to finish, and the parents all to leave.

The beer was drinkable, as was the wine. I think the spirits were quite weak though, as I was poured large measures but didn't ever get drunk. As getting drunk wasnt my intention I didn't mind so much but others might.

The beach is nice, but small. The walk to Cala Mondrego beach took about 15 mins, you can either walk by road or through the nature park which is rough terrain.

The hotel is isolated, but we hired a car and could easily get about.

I would recommend this hotel, and by extension othe Iberostars if they are of the same standard as this one.

Room Tip: As for Priority location. Blocks starting with 5/6/7 are all close the the main pools and restaurant...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SilverSpots
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

An absolutely wonderful hotel. Very hard to find fault. Great food, great entertainment, great for kids (mine are 5 and 8), great staff, lots of bars, lovely swimming pools, great kids club, great facilities (my 8-year-old loved the football pitch), always very clean, very good rooms. Yes, it is isolated, and you can't walk to shops/bars, but you should know that before you book, and it is good to be in a quiet spot. Book the smaller restaurant for some nights, same food, but better views and more relaxed. Small beach at Cala Barca at the hotel is very nice, but make the effort to walk through to Cala Mondrago park to the lovely beaches, especially S'Amarador, which is about 30 minutes away, absolutely beautiful. It staggers me what people find to moan about, but this is a stellar hotel for families. You'll be glad you booked it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sam P
H
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We Came here with out expectensions.but we are flabbergasted about the service and clean nice.and most of all the way everything is perfectly organiced.the food is every day different and there is all ways also something for the childeren

1 Thank Cindy V
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed Here from 10th till 20Th September.The Weather Wasnt Fantastic During Our Stay,But Thats The Only Thing We Can Complain About.Everything Else Was Fantastic,The Food Was Superb,We Highly Reccomend The Meditterean Restaurant,We Ate Here Most Nights.All Staff Including Management Were Always FriendlY.All Staff Including Entertainment Staff Worked Very Hard.Overall It Was Great Value For Money And I Would Higly Reccomend It To Anyone.

• Stayed September 2013
#8 of 30 in Playa de Muro
IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa
IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa
#2 of 30 in Playa de Muro

Been to IBEROSTAR Club Cala Barca? Share your experiences!