“good”

Iberostar Club Cala Barca
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cala Mondrago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 29, 2013

A hotel is ideal for familes or for those who is looking for quiet or romantic rest. Hotel located few kms from nearlest city, so its away from city noise. Hotel offers wide choise of sport activity(for free) and trips (for extra pay)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tomas S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,588)

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Although we were in block 42 which was a bit of an hilly trek to our apartment, I couldn't really fault anything else from the hotel. The food was excellent very varied and my 10 year old son always found something( and not just chips). Restaurant could get a bit hectic, but the staff were always trying there best. The Thomas Cook kids club was rubbish, but the hotel run one was fantastic, and although there were lots of nationalities my son loved it and made friends with a Spanish, Dutch and Russian boy as well as British ( who needs to talk when there's football). All the staff were fantastic and my son especially liked Dino the barman.
I would say be careful booking trips, we booked one with Thomas Cook rep to Katmandu(which my son really enjoyed), but we weren't told of all the pick ups, and it took us 2 1/2 hrs to get there :(

1  Thank Catherine G
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I would definitely recommend this hotel. We were originally booked in a different hotel and were moved to Cala Barca because of overbooking and we were so happy that we were. As soon as we arrived the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was overlooking the staff apartments but it wasn't an issue for us as we weren't there to spend a lot of time in our room. Everything in this hotel is spotless and there is always someone around cleaning. The pool areas are very clean and there was plenty of sun loungers for everyone and there are loads of activities going on through the day if you want to take part. The food was excellent, lots of choice and it was hot which is a rare occurrence in all inclusive hotels. The only downside to this hotel is its location. It is out in the middle of nowhere and if you like the shops like we do you will spend a fortune on taxis. We normally like to have a wander around in the nighttime but there was nowhere to go without a taxi however the taxi stand it outside reception and the come by very frequently. If all you want is to lounge by the pool then this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samw11
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Great family holiday went with husband and nearly 3 yr old and mother and father in law! We so loved it was in bloke 33 which really was a walk but was quite great full when we had enough it was quite from the evening entertainment staff are all helpful hotel really clean beach ok but would recomend exploring on to cala mondrago much nicer the beach bar is abit of a rip off cause ur all inclusive so why wud u buy them there at a bottle of water at 3 euro errrr no ! And safe in our room broke 3 times but asked for money back and full refund given , food fab abit repetive good choice tho nice shops overhaul good holiday my son really enjoyed entertainment even tho was like a stampead when smilely came out and had to watch other kids weren't pushing him out if way ! Would visit here again but wud defo hire a car so we can bob to cala dor n other places :) even tho in a taxi only 8 euro and Porto petro was beautiful but everything expensive .

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I definitely recommend this hotel, whether it be for a family get away or even as a couple's retreat. We could not believe how clean everything is. There are staff always cleaning up where needed. The bathrooms throughout the resort are very clean and I never saw them dirty. Customer service was the best I've seen at a hotel. They went out of their way to make sure your stay was a pleasant one. The bar staff were extremely nice and were always cheerful. We were always greeted upon entering to eat by a sincere welcome. I marked the food down only because I felt there were not many options for kids. If you have a picky eating child they may have trouble finding something they like. Other than that the food was fresh and exceptional. The kids clubs for the hotel was marked down in rating because my son showed up for the maxi club events often to find nobody around. For example the Olympic and crazy games on seperate days, there was nobody to be found. That was fine but it often kept us wondering if we were in the right place or if they decided to cancel the activities because of lack of participation. The spa had exceptional customer service and a wide variety of options they offer. Definitely recommend getting some treatment done there. The hotel has shops for all your souvenir and convince needs. You don't have to leave the hotel as everything is right there for you. The entertainment was very good. They first start the night for the kids, and I don't think one kid there was not entertained. Next, they did a good job to keep the adults happy and often kept them involved with the entertainment. The man that spray paints next to the stage is unbelievable. His art was selling out very quick. The beach is just ok on the resort and very small. However, cala mandrogo is in walking distance and is a must go if your looking for a awesome beach that has a bar, restaurants, etc. I hate to go to the same resort twice but Cala Barca might be in our plans again next year! Thank you again for a great holiday!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Took my mum on holiday for her birthday and found a suspiciously good deal online through a UK based travel agent.
Turned out it was half the price to stay in the block 11 and 12 outdated apartments compared to the newer, upgraded hotel's rooms advertised on the Iberostar website.
Even after the wobbly door handle was fixed (which was seen to promptly), it was still wobbly and the cupboard doors were not closing properly. Luckily we didn't plan to stay inside much.

We opted in for the all-inclusive from self catering and it was well worth it.
The Balereas (main restaurant) was top notch with different mains each day. The Mediterranean restaurant that needed to be booked was quieter but the food didn't quite match up to the Balereas. Maybe we got there on a bad day.

The reception staff were very helpful on check in and check out. The chefs were lovely and very smiley. The activity staff were fun, bubbly and got everyone involved which was nice.
The cleaning maids did a lovely job in sorting the apartment each day.
The dining and bar stuff were a bit short and cold at times and other times happy and Larry.
At one point when we had our seats taken and took liberty of finding other seats at the Mediterranean. Some waiters came around and there was a mini argument between them in front of us and a confusion about the wine menu being told we could only buy the bottles and none of the all inclusive glass of wine options on the menu were available, so it was only on tap everywhere.

Another disappointment was being told the warm pool was turned off for the summer months, but when we found it on the last day, it was actually warm and not as many children.

The Spa was for treatments only, no pool or steam room. My mum had the head message but unfortunately it wasn't a good one. The table was high and tricky to get on and off, my mum is 5ft7 which is quite tall for a woman. When I asked out of 10, it was a 3. She was told not to undo the bun on the top of her head and just had the therapist running her hands over her head for 30minues. Not worth 40 Euro.

The rock entertainment was excellent and had everyone dancing and having the outside stage was a nice touch in the summer.
There were a 3 private beaches which were lovely and great retreats.

In all, I would recommend it for families not looking to leave Europe as the facilities for children are good as well as the range of food. For groups of friends and people who like a bit of peace of quiet, might be good to have a look else where.

Room Tip: If it seems like a good cheap deal, ask the booking agent if it's for block 11 or 12? if it is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Club Cala Barca, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
We want to thank you for your preference in selecting our IBEROSTAR Club Cala Barca hotel for your holidays and for such a special event as your mother’s birthday, as well as for taking the time to tell us about your stay because this will help us know how to improve our services and offer splendid holiday experiences to all our guests.

We are sorry about the disappointment of your mother related to the treatment at our Spa and passed your comment to the head of department in order to revise and if necessary, improve.
On the other hand we are glad to read that you appreciated all of the prime pillars of our company to offer a splendid stay to our guests; service orientation and helpfulness of our staff, cleanliness of the in- and outside installations, gastronomical delights and an entertaining animation program are the most important elements for IBEROSTAR and We thank you for highlighting these aspects of your holiday.
We hope that your stay was as pleasant as it could possibly be and to have the pleasure to welcome you again in our hotels worldwide.
Friendly Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I'll try and keep my review relatively brief but I know the hotel management read this, so I'll start with the negative or constructive criticism:

I wasn't happy before the holiday to be told I have to pay €21 a night to have a room close to restaurant, pool etc. for a room of same standard. As a returning customer I didn't feel valued. But I kicked up a fuss and when I got there they granted my request. I deleted my previous review on this matter, but felt I had to write a negative one on here to get a response.
I asked a bar man for an Ipanema cocktail (ginger Ale and lemon) and he gave me lemonade and coke. (Which w the same colour) When I told him it was wrong and I don't like coke he looked at menu realised he was wrong, and had a tantrum.
Could do with a clock in reception.
Maybe an a la carte restaurant.

I realise I'm scraping the barrel with negatives because there aren't many. It's a lovely family resort in a tranquil location. There's no need to go to cala dor as the shops on resort sell same stuff at roughly same price.
There's a lot of great touches like a jazz band and canapés as you walk in to dinner, staff with trays of fruit, cocktails and ice cream randomly walking passed your sunbed by pool.
Restaurant food is buffet but very high quality, there is a quieter restaurant which is also buffet. Can't fault either, other that they didn't do sushi this year, that was so nice last year.
This resort is great for children. The kids clubs, mascots, evening shows, pools etc. are excellent.

I would also like to mention how friendly and helpful the staff in all departments are. Apart from that one moment with the bar man, that was probably just having a bad day as we all do from time to time. They all made our holiday and its just a shame we have to come home!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cala Mondrago
#2 of 30 in Playa de Muro
Melia Calvia Beach
Melia Calvia Beach
#4 of 31 in Magaluf

Been to Iberostar Club Cala Barca? Share your experiences!