“Best restaurant in town!”
Review of Bar Restaurante Rincon de Pepe - CLOSED

Bar Restaurante Rincon de Pepe
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Pepe's is a fantastic wee "hole in the wall" (and deliberately so: 'rincon' translates roughly as 'corner, or nook') just off the main 'centre' in Cala Egos. It's next door to the incredibly popular "Molly's", which seems to attract far more British customers. I don't get this - why travel all the way to southern Spain, only to seek out a "traditional Sunday roast"? I'm confident Molly's does what it does very well, but when I'm abroad I want to experience as much of the local culture as I can!

We chose a table in the middle of the restaurant, where we could see the bar and a little way into the kitchen. Our waiter (the only one - I wish I'd got his name!) made us feel very welcome and helped us to relax, chatting away to us. He brought the kids their Sprites (the only decent sized Sprites they got in any restaurant in Cala Egos/d'Or), and we requested a 1/2 litre jug of sangria. Silly us - it was fantastic, really refreshing and full of flavour, and before long we had finished it and had to order another. Should have went for the litre in the first place!

Aioli and bread was brought to whet our appetite. I'm not going to be able to do the aioli justice. Unlike every other place we ate, this wasn't made with Hellman's or the equivalent. This was proper, home-made aioli made from beaten egg whites, and was sooo much better than any other we had, it was night and day. It was lighter, and had none of the vinegar taste that comes with mayo, allowing the olive oil and garlic to shine through. Honestly, it was divine!

Wee girl wasn't in the mood to be adventurous, and ordered 'chicken nuggets' from the children's menu. Simply put - surprising! Properly home made from chunks of chicken breast, they were absolutely delicious, and the home made chips they came with were "the best chips ever" according to daughter. A quality meal itself, and one I would have been happy to have been served myself.

However, wee boy is ALWAYS adventurous, and that meant after perusing the menu I was able to order the plate of mixed tapas (€12), followed by paella for 2 (€12 p.p.) to share between three of us. The mixed tapas was excellent - served on a huge plate it came with plenty for three - whole shrimp, grilled peppers, tuna on tomato, little bits of strip steak, some marinated chicken, diced and roasted potatoes, and wonderful cheese-filled croquettes which had been deep-fried. I'm not sure the croquettes were home-made, but they were still yummy! Fantastic value for €12. I've sen another review complain that the mixed tapas was like a frozen supermarket selection. I don't get that, I really don't. The food was fantastic quality, and other than the croquettes (which I could not find fault with) was clearly fresh and well prepared.

Then the 'pièce de résistance' - the paella. More than enough for the three of us, this was exactly what we had hoped for. Rich, thick paella filled with all sorts - chicken, squid, shrimp, pork, chorizo, mussels. It was amazing. So good Mrs W says she's never attempting paella again, as it won't come close! It was a really filling dish, and after the tapas, we were unable to eat the whole paella, as much as we'd have liked to! Again, brilliant value for €12 each.

At one point, daughter dropped her fork. Before she had managed to push her chair back to retrieve it, waiter had swooped in with a replacement, and fetched the dropped one from the floor. Now that's service!

We didn't have dessert, as we were all stuffed, however each of the kids got a little lolly to see them out. We enjoyed the meal so much that we returned a few nights later for take-away (same mixed tapas and paella, wee girl had to be adventurous!) so that we could eat on the terrace of our apartment. Take away was no problem, and we were given the large tapas plate and paella dish to take home with us! We also enjoyed another glass of sangria each at the bar while we waited for the meal to be ready, and chatted with the waiter some more. There were a couple of different things in the tapas this time, for example grilled whitebait, and the meal was just as delicious as the first time.

Pepe's is popular with the locals - always a good sign. I was disappointed when we went that the "roast suckling pig" wasn't on (it's an occasional special), as it's supposed to be terrific. However, it just gives me a great excuse to return some other time!

The best meal we had in Mallorca.

6  Thank Stephen W

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Rincon de Pepe looks unprepossessing but has fantastic food. We tried the tapas with the prawns in garlic being the star of the show! They were huge and very good value. Lovely friendly service. Just a shame that it wasn't very busy. Well worth trying. Definitely a very nice place.

3  Thank SJJBarra
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We found Pepes whilst walking into Cala Dor from Cala Egos. We spotted Molly's Irish bar through the trees and I knew it was next door.
When we arrived someone was cleaning the floor and he told us Pepe would arrive in 5 mins - we didnt realise Pepes only opens at 7pm!
Pepe is in our eyes, as a chef should look - nicely rotund - obviously enjoys his food! He served us bread and aioli whilst we waited for our order of chefs tapas for hubby and suckling pig for me. We purposely didnt eat much bread because we knew the portions would be big and they were!
My suckling pig and fried potatoes were just devine - hubby could not finish his tapas - and I had a taste of most of it! The bill with a jug of sangria came to 34e - fantastic value!
So good in fact we went back a few nights later and shared paella for 2 - in fact it could have fed 5 easily!! I did the typically British thing and asked for a doggy bag - Pepe seemed very happy we were taking our leftovers home. We had it the next night on our terrace with added chorizo and chicken and a bottle of wine and it was just fab!
Highly recommend Pepes - make sure you visit this authentic Mallorcan restaurant :-)

3  Thank JillyTPreston_Lancs
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Pepe's what to say looks like a tired Blackpool cafe but don't be deceived inside is a mallorcan chef par excellence.

Pepe himself is a rather rotund chap which in my eyes is good in a chef.

Can recommend something ... His suckling pig is to die for and I recall once having salmon in a delicious pink pepper sauce.

Just try it you won't ever walk away disappointed

2  Thank Gary8494
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Love the food - very authentic, great value and you won't go hungry!
The children had "Chicken nuggets and chips" - It was beautiful breast pieces of chicken in polenta and delicious.
We had everything from Suckling pig, Chicken Curry, Tapas and his unbelievable home made red wine.

It's great - don't expect a 5 star experience - you get fantastic food cooked by a great man who obviously loves what he does.