“Great location, great staff, but the food and atmosphere....”

Palia Puerto Del Sol
South West, UK
“Great location, great staff, but the food and atmosphere....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I took my time in writing this up as we visited in July 13'.

The review below is made with the price we paid (£624 for 2 all inclusive).

Firstly, the staff in this hotel were great, whenever we asked anything of them it was met with a smile and they seemed to genuinely try to assist wherever it was in their power to do so - one barman was a little surly, but not that bad!.

The room - definitely worth paying the extra for a Marina view room (we had room 420) as the hotel is so close to the Marina (max 5 mins from any part of the hotel, slow walk in heat!) and the Marina at Cala D'or has some very impressive yachts in it (£10M+!).

The hotel obviously offered self catering in a previous incarnation, so has a hob and sink in the rooms, neither of which are functional (the hob I can understand, the taps not working (in the kitchenette) seems less sensible - there was however a fully working fridge that was free to use - very handy for wine and beer if you didn’t want to go to the bar area (see later....)

The beds were somewhat on the hard side, akin to lying on concrete, but I can appreciate some may prefer this, whereas we like a medium.

Plenty of storage and hanging space for clothes and good storage in the bathroom area (though if you were 2 females you might struggle a little depending on your quantity of bottles and tubes etc! ;-).

The main living area had 2 good size sofas in which I imagiine would turn to beds though we had no need of this.

Whilst nobody goes to Majorca to sit and watch TV, the TV may have been free but only offered 1 English channel which was (you've guessed it!) BBC news! - though this is probably a issue from the fact the hotel is French owned and probably 90% of guests are French (I had none of the issues with the French guests that others comment on - treat others with respect and they will (normally!) do the same in return?)

The public areas I was somewhat less impressed with -

The pool/pool bar area was nice enough in itself but they insisted on playing music more suited to BCM square in Magaluf than a family hotel pool area, and what made this worse was it being played through a poor speaker that was distorting all the time – the music was utterly schizophrenic jumping from one style to another and just not suited to any kind of relaxation (I can’t really comment on the ‘animations’ team as we are just a couple without kids so had no real involvement but it all again seemed orientated to the predominantly French guests.

The Gardens around the hotel are very nice, quite a claim place to walk around (and get away from the 1000BPM music).

There are 2 other small pol areas, but these are quite dismal and have no music playing whatsoever and no bar (though one did have a self service soft drinks area) – it would have been nice to have some softer music in this area to create a better atmosphere

The evening bar area (where the (French!) entertainment is held is in a cellar room - very dingy and who the heck wants to go to Majorca on a lovely summers evening and sit in a darkened room?

Now I come to what I believe (when we went anyway) is this hotels thorn in its side – the food, even for an all-inclusive hotel, was dire

I don’t believe I have ever had to place that word in a review of hotel food before, but that is a very, very fair description –

Breakfast –

Tinned mixed veg with a sprinkling of brussel sprouts ate breakfast anyone?

How about the cold meats (salami style) from the previous evening sliced into thin strips and fried?

There was the obligatory fried eggs and sausages, plus a wide variety of cereals, yoghurts etc – also croissants, pain au chocolat (though we found these to be very poor quality), so because of the variety I suppose you could say that breakfast was ‘acceptable’ quality.

We rarely took lunch, so I don’t feel qualified to pass comment there.

Evening meal was just very poor – there was distinct lack of variety in the offerings, with most of it consisting of various grilled meat and fish and very little in the way of ‘compound’ dishes – how hard would it be too add the odd lasagne, moussaka, stew, etc?

The best managed was a very poor pasta sauce and bad ‘curry’ type dish – we ended up resorting to salad and cold meats when we eat there – which was rare.

We were fortunate enough to be able to afford to eat out and felt that due to the price we paid we had no problem with that but those that need to eat in the hotel for most/every meal (a reasonable expectation when paying for all inclusive!) are likely to be disappointed with the food in a major way and if you seek a relaxing holiday the pool areas will disappoint.

I have to say having previously visited Cala D’or on several occasions I would recommend the Marina Corfu at Cala Egos (very, very close to Cala D’or – walking distance and I don’t like walking!) over this hotel in a heartbeat – the Corfu is family orientated but still a very pleasant place for couples (good evening entertainment, good bars and great variety in the food) if you are unable to go to the expense of a 5 star hotel / villa rental.

A few recommendations (these are more for couples rather than those with children) –

If you want to treat yourselves one evening, go to the yacht club and have their set menu (3 courses for 19 euros) – do not be intimidated by the look of the place, they are very welcoming and friendly and it’s just such a lovely place to sit and eat (or even just have a drink in their ‘chill out’ area!)

Also, get a taxi across to Porto Petro – this a very nice area and the restaurant we chose (the name escapes me – right on the waterfront, 2nd of 2 placed together right by the taxi rank and very ‘chrome’ looking) was excellent value compared to many in Cala D’or and their house Rose was superb value – I believe about 6 euro 50 for a litre!) – they appeared to have some very regular/local clients which is always a good sign.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for Marina view - well worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Newcastle Upon Tyne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were offered this accommodation after discovering our original choice had been over booked. After reading the reviews we were slightly apprehensive and after spending 13 nights here our anxieties became reality. I would agree that as a hotel it's really punching below its weight and could be much better. The management and day to day operation defies logic in many respects. For example, the bar has a roof terrace with fabulous views across the marina. However, you can only access it after 10:30pm and after paying extortionate prices for drinks (incidentally the prices were never the same on consecutive nights, one night a large beer and vodka/coke was 14 euro and the night after a whopping 23 euro!!!! needless to say it never got very busy out there!)
The all inclusive is very poor in that drinks are in plastic glasses and a bizarre 'maximum of two drinks per person' policy operates. The snack bar serves nothing more than cold burgers and hot dogs up until 3pm and then crepes until 5pm after which very dry ham and cheese sandwiches are on offer.
The restaurant was awful in that it was always too busy and way too hot. Food is fried near the entrance and during our stay it became know as the grease pit. The food itself is ok but because it's so uncomfortable to eat in the restaurant it doesn't make for a pleasurable experience, hence we ate out quite a bit. The staff do work hard but are very inconsistent in their attitude; one day being very friendly and the next day quite rude! - can't blame them as I assume their management team's decision making puts them in the firing line in having to uphold ridiculous policy.
The rooms are fine, very spacious although a bit tired. We had to ask for a fridge and at first we were told none were available. After explaining that my youngest daughter has medication that has to be stored in a fridge, we were offered one as long as I went to help the caretaker/janitor to lift it to our room from another one!!!
If you don't like cats I would avoid this place as they are everywhere. Flower beds are giant litter trays! Every morning there were at least 4 outside our front door. Although the maid came every day to change towels etc and gardeners came to cut grass etc, the cat mess on the path was never cleaned up!!!
The swimming pools are alright but much smaller than they appear in photos. They do get busy and if you're not down early enough each morning you've no chance of a sun lounger ( if that's what you can call them - my back is killing me now)
The entertainment isn't great and is indoor, making it sometimes a bit uncomfortable. However, given that that the group doing it are working all hours of the day organising sports and games, they deserve some credit. It was really good on some nights only because it was so bad; you had to laugh!! It would appear that it is heavily geared towards the french guests who were in the majority, although this wasn't really a problem.
Although we had a decent holiday I wouldn't seek to return in the near future. It's a real pity as, if the management had any sense, it could be much better than it is.

Room Tip: Get to the pool early, its cheap and you only get what you pay for!
1 Thank Stephen F
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

As I swear by using trip advisor when booking my holidays, I feel it is very important to give an honest, genuine review to save people feeling like there hard earned cash is being well spent. As the majority of guests i spoke to English & French were quite disappointed & said they would definately not return I am left wondering if a lot of these reviews are genuine.

dates of travel: 3rd to 13th august 2013
room 359 then changed to 357

Having arrived after a 3hr transfer (not 1hr 30 mins as we were told) we had missed the evening meal, we thought we would maybe be given a bottle of water or something as we hadnt eaten for over 8hrs but all we got was "sorry everything closed until 8am breakfast". We were then given our wristbands & asked for a 30 euro deposit for them, which we would get back on departure once they cut them off. We were escorted to our room and shown from the bottom floor we were 2nd floor, but the man never offered to help us with our heavy bags (2 ladies, 2 children). On entering the room the smell of damp was strong, as my son has chest/breathing problems this was far from ideal, we requested a move but the hotel was full & not possible so we slept that night with all windows/balcony doors open to prevent him having an episode. The next morning i saw a bus load leave so requested a move again "not possible" so for my sons health & well being I took drastic action & took a key off someone checking out & said "ill see what this one is like", luckily it was ok, initially, although 3rd floor and a killer in the heat but at least it wasnt damp. The rooms are very spacious but basic but as long as clean & comfortable thats the main which they was.

I would like to point out that a lot of guests we spoke to were also tested (in my opinion) with a damp room to start off with in hope they would accept it, many of which didnt, like us or there was also many that were shipped off to a completely different hotel altogether for the first 2 days, which was might i add a lower star & not good at all.

I shall now list good/bad points & will give more details should anyone wish to ask for them:

Good Points:
very spacious rooms
4 pools
reasonable location within walking distance (10-15 mins) to cala d'or centre & beaches etc
land train to get around comes onto the complex (stops quite early though but only 5 euro's or so for taxi to return if too hot to walk)
bus stops also outside the complex to go both ways (cala mondrago is a lovely day out)
very friendly, hardworking housekeepers
breakfast, crepes & coffee time, dinner ok
plenty of poolside activities during day but not for young, archery, darts, water polo, boules etc

Bad Points:
no coat hangers in rooms
wardbrobes smell fusty
under the beds the dust was thick
bathrooms often get a strong smell of sewerage (to the point I nearly vomited one night), plugs were also full of hair, all the 10 days we were there, toilet seat smelt of urine too
air con doesnt work very well if at all
snack/sandwich time was disgusting & the same every single day, cold hot dogs, cold chips & cold burgers with salad, extremely dry service station type ham & cheese sandwiches
soft drinks were slightly watery compared to places you pay for them but not too bad
no hairdryer/kettle in room (standard in all the all inc ive been to, some of which 2 star)
wifi had to be paid for (again usually free to all inc)
tv remote had to be paid a 10 euro deposit for
safes arent in your room, they are near reception & if you lose your key it has a number on so someone else can easily go empty it
dining room very warm, very noisy & full of smoke from the grills, plenty of big patio doors to open which would make it much more pleasant but "not allowed". it was lovely to have a meal in peace one night away from the complex but as all the deposits, fees etc for wristbands, safe etc took a big chunk of our money we could do this often, dont tend to take a lot of money when all inc as not usually needed
beautiful area just outside the bar which overlooks the marina, but, your only allowed on that area if you buy your drinks, for paying guests only!!
entertainment was very poor in a downstairs, smelly school assembly type room, the team did try but it just wasnt up to much at all, kids disco = approx 5 songs, needless to say we didnt go in there much at all
majority of sunbeds around pools are broken (sunk down) so very uncomfortable which is a shame because the pools are lovely
most staff were friendly but a few staff were polite when it suited, Juanito could be very rude when he felt like it yet lovely the next, very hard to judge he was

All in all, yes its only been all inc since June & has a LOT to learn, it is only 3 star (but ive been to some outstanding 3 stars in Europe) & yes it has a huge potential, for example using the large green area at the side of the hotel which could be used on a night for entertainment (lets face it who wants to sit in a basement on a lovely summers evening abroad). If you averaged it out to 4 per room (120 rooms total) there is nowhere near enough places on a night to accommodate everyone hence why a lot of people ate then went out as there was nowhere to sit and drink (good for the hotel though as they didnt have to give so much "free" drinks away.

The grounds could be a bit cleaner too, dirty staircases to rooms, rubbish/dead plants/leaves in hedges, no locks on some public toilet doors all pretty basic things but it would make a huge difference.

Will i go back again? as many others said, im afraid not, it was an experience, not a terrible one but not great either, my hard earned cash does seemed a little wasted this year compared to the last 7 all inclusives ive done all of which we've thorougly enjoyed.

2 Thank go-or-not-you-decide
Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked this with only 4wks to go, found it on the Internet and read some differing views about it. The main issue for others was the French but seeing as it is sold as a French hotel what were they expecting. We like to try these out as I'm not really keen on seeing Union Jack flags stating where people have come from hanging from the balconies.
It's a 45min transfer from the airport if you go straight there. We arrived around 10.30pm and the chap on reception was very welcoming showing us to our apartment even apologising for his limited English. You have your bands put on and we paid €30 that's 10 an adult and 5 a child deposit you need to give these back in by 12 midday on day of departure.The apartment was exactly as shown in the photos and very clean. All inclusive finishes at 10.30 so walked down to the marina to get a drink and something to eat ( and choose which boat we were going to buy). It's around15-20 min walk to the town centre where there are plenty of bars and restaurants.
We were in apart 104 which is ground floor and right by the patio area with sunbeds just to the left of the main pool. My issue was the patio doors did not lock and the receptionist said to make sure the shutters were shut as none of the doors locked. This was not the case as after asking either side of us theirs did. Twice I went back reporting it but it was not fixed. We made sure all valuables were kept in the safe which cost €15 and €10 deposit..
We wanted somewhere with activities for us all so we could join in if we wanted to. The entertainment staff covered most languages and we remembered a little bit of French from our school days. We even beat the French at pétanque, they were gracious in defeat :)
There was a very good choice of food, cooking fish and meat fresh, even mussels one night. The staff were very efficient and worked hard to keep tables available. It gets very hot in there as the doors don't open, nice view of the marina tho. Small plastic cups for all drinks in restaurant,by the pool and in the bar upstairs. If you like me like sparkling then ask for 'champagne' it's really cava but actually very nice. They pour in the spirits so ask for an extra mixer, it's strong.
The cleaners were very friendly changing towels every other day and sheets once in the week we were there. We would go back for a cheap, quick getaway.

2 Thank Michelle W
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just returned from a week staying here. Enjoyed, but could have been much better. When we arrived, we were greeted by a pleasant receptionist informing us that the hotel was full and we were going to be located at another hotel !! 20 mins later arrived at Palia Dolce Farnentie, Cala Egos - Disappointed to say the least - Grubby looking, loud music by pool, room dark and dreary - returned to the puerto del sol. Found us a room at the rear of the complex, good space for the four of us, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms BUT very dark, dreary, damp, no air conditioning, toilet handing off wall - even more disappointed. Moved next day to a smaller more central apartment which was much more acceptable but still tired decor. Pool with bar area was nice but small and very crowded with lively games/music. Another pool was much quieter but reasonably busy and the adult only pool much quieter and far more relaxing (even our teenage boys enjoyed here). Food was pretty good with quite a variety but dining hall was extremely busy and very noisy. Overlooking marina, but not allowed to open patio windows!! Up one level of steps was the chill out pub which was really nice. Terrace to the rear for sitting outdoors was ok but fabulous terrace to the front overlooking the marina of call d'or with fabulous expensive boats was not in use. Again doors and windows locked. You were only allowed to access this area after 10.30pm (when all inclusive finished) and you paid for your drinks, even then you had to ask to be let out - superb facility but no atmosphere as only 5/6 people there - such a shame.
Hotel location is fab, overlooking the marina, 20 min walk to centre of cala d'or, tourist train stop just outside and main bus stop at end of road. The hotel really does have the potential to be an exclusive 5*, but needs a LOT of work and attention to detail, what a missed opportunity. A typical 3* hotel, enjoyed, but won't be going back !!

Room Tip: Difficult to comment as apartments are spread out, can only suggest requesting a room close to the c...
Løsning
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel, we got our room eventhought it was 2 hours before check in time and were directed to our room on the ground floor. It was a nice room and had all we needed. Which was 4 beds and a fridge. We had All inciusive so we didn't need to cook.
We went to the bar to get something to eat and there was burgers and chips, which was good.

It's also a good pool, not to deep, but deep enough to make canonballs. There is 4 pools there, but we only used the one near the bar. One pool was only for adults and as we had our 9 year old son with us we didn't use that one. Besides our room was near the one at the bar.

The food in the restaurant was great at all times and there is a lot to choose from and it is your own fault if you go hungry from the table. The staff in the restaurant is very nice and quick to set new tables and clear the tables.

The cleaning staff/housemaid was friendly and always with a smile and a "hola".

The entertainment team was friendly and funny. It was good that there was games for all ages and they was grest at getting people to join in. At night there were shows or quizzes and we even won 2 bottles of champagne.

The hotel is also good located, 2 min to the marina and 10-15 min to centrum of Cala D'or.

If we really have to say anything "negativ" about the hotel, it has to be that it is to french. There is alot of french guests so almost everything is expleained in french and not so much in English.
So it was Lucky for us that one from the entertainment team is from Germany (we are from Denmark) so that he could explain the game rules to us in german, because the other in the team was french and did not speak any or very Little English.

Over all a very good hotel, great food and friendly staff.

3 Thank Christina K H
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have just returned from a holiday to celebrate my daughter's 23rd birthday. We planned a girls only break and it all turned out better than we had expected. The complex is minutes away from a beautiful marina. Some evenings we meandered there to watch the launches and relaxed in the many restaurants along the front. Our ,hotel room was an apartment which could have housed four. Food was of a very high standard and wonderful varieties for such a mass cooking operation. we went all inclusive. Drinks are on tap all the time and anything you need will be catered for.The service, people and surroundings are magnificent. And if you don't want to lounge around one of three swimming pools, you can find the little path nearby towards a beautiful coved beach. There are sun loungers for 12€ for 2 beds and parasol all day. An amazing entertainment is the regular visit from a melon/coconut man who performs as he is deftly cutting you melons, pineapples and coconuts. The swimming is delightful, with plenty of launches coming and going. I would like to return there one day and take my husband. The trip was easy and hassle- free by booking the shuttle bus, Vijas Urbis from airport to hotel and back. Hotel reception organise this automatically and the staff there surpass themselves in bending over backwards to help. We had told the tour operator, Holiday Gems it was a birthday trip. On the 24tth a knock on our door surprised us and we were presented with a bottle of fine bubbly by staff at the hotel. Just can't wait to return. I would recommend this place to everyone of any age.

8 Thank Mazda323pin