“Just what we wanted”

Ranked #3 of 6 Cala d'Or B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Just what we wanted”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just got back from a week at the Hotel D'Or. We booked this as last minute break as we wanted a week of doing nothing. Yes, the hotel is slightly dated and our room did show evidence of needing a lick of paint but the overall cleanliness of the hotel was good and the staff were very friendly and adaptable. First night my husband used a blanket as a second pillow, next day the staff had provided us with extra pillows. It appears to be a small hotel run with a small staff, one minute they are serving breakfasts, next on reception then they are manning the bar. One lady does all the cleaning and she is good, she tries not to disturb you and will work around you. The hotel is in an ideal position to go out to visit local restaurants, bars and walk down to harbour. This hotel is rated as two star but very few two star hotels have air conditioning in the rooms, which we did have to use once during our stay. We were lucky with the weather. The breakfasts are totally adequate, cereals, juices, fruit, toast, honey and cooked breakfasts if you wanted. The bar prices were reasonable too. My husband dislikes sun and spends his holiday in the room reading whilst I enjoy the sun, we were very lucky to get a room that suited our needs with a very sunny balcony. I agree some rooms do not get the sun. I would go back the hotel again, I could not fault the anything. The pool was sparkling clear despite having had heavy rains before we arrived.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 403 and it does seem to get good sunshine all day.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Polish first
Begelly, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Do not expect The Ritz.What you get here is a bog standard Spanish,small,two storie hotel around a small swimming pool.what you also get is friendly staff and clean rooms.Because it is small,you get to know the other guests,which increases the friendly feel.It is perfectly placed for the restaurants,bars and beaches.As long as you do not expect 5 star this little gem is perfect

Room Tip: Go half board.Eating out is expensive unless you like Burger King
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was our 4th visit to the Hotel Dor. It is a small and friendly hotel, where peace and quiet is the name of the game. Hotel rooms are quite basic and small, air conditioned... but ideal for us as we were only in them to sleep really. The staff are very friendly and will do anything for you...you just need to ask. The bar has a happy hour every day...great value......just what you need after a day by the pool. Everything is at hand...all the bars and restaurants are 2 mins away...the petite....Cala Dor beach....is 5 minutes from the hotel. Dont forget to visit Cheeki Tikki.. the best cocktail bar in Cala Dor .....excellent cocktails...and the best sangria in Cala Dor...imo....Can't wait until 2013....for our next visit....xx

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I am going to be very honest about this review and list all of the good points and the bad about this hotel. If I based the review on the room alone, it would be terrible, but I am going to be sensible and base it on the whole hotel experience. I am someone who spends little time in a hotel room, it's a base to sleep, change and shower to me, however there are acceptable standards for comfort.
I paid €20 a night which was terrific. I had read the reviews and realise that your stay here can be made or broken by the room you are given. I checked in on a Saturday afternoon, and there was nobody on reception, as I often found during my stay. There was only one lady about, and she was busy at the bar. I waited a few minutes and she eventually checked me in. I was shown to my room, and I was so disappointed to find that it was room 30, in the back of beyond (even the wifi didn't work in there). Despite requesting a room above ground floor, I was given a ground floor room, which instantly annoyed me. As it was next to room 31, I had read Tony L's review & dreaded going in as they were identical rooms. I found it hard to believe that the entry and lock to the room was via a flimsy shutter door. A sharp yank and anyone could have opened it. The room also backed on to a very busy (therefore noisy) road..groan..
I went into the room and it was the darkest dingiest room I have ever stayed in. There were no windows apart from one in the bathroom. The room got no sun, ever. There were 2 dirty broken sunloungers dumped by the terrace too. The room smelled very damp and fusty as if it hadn't been used in months. The bathroom also had a very strange smell which didn't go during my stay. The bedroom part itself was clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows. As I was staying on my own, the storage space was fine, but you would struggle for 2. Six old coathangers a few drawers, no shelf or anywhere to put toiletries in the bathroom.
The bathroom was what made the room more terrible. The photos I have posted show you what I mean. An old and broken dirty towel rail, filthy ceiling, and an absolutely disgusting stinking ancient shower curtain. The sink was fine and the shower was great, always hot and a good flow of water. Towels changed daily and the room also cleaned daily too. The thing is, not much effort and money would have improved things dramatically. The room was in dire need of an update. Someone did check in to the room 31 next door while I was there, they fell silent & I never saw them again. I did go back to reception to complain but she said that the manager was not in for another 2 days and she was the only person with authority to change a room. I had to be realistic about this, for the price, and as I was only there for 5 nights, I decided to grin and bear it. I asked the lady several questions, and she was a lot more helpful, provided me with an excellent map to get about the resort. Do get one and try and go to everywhere on it. She also told me about the happy hour, and gave me tips on where to eat and so on.
Now let me be a bit more positive about the hotel. It is actually very pleasant round the pool, handy snack bar, plenty of good quality sun loungers and there was always one available to relax on. The pool was clean and refreshing. You could see that the rooms around the pool were of much better quality, modern doors, and entry by a key card! Far more secure than my room!!
The hotel is in an excellent location, very near to the bars and restaurants. Turn left then left again and you are there. Or turn right and a whole street full of nice places to go. There is a Spar opposite the hotel entrance and also one around the corner. The road it is on is very busy though and the traffic noise right outside my room was bad, the glass wasn't double glazed, and vibrated lots. Poor sleep quality!
The resort is amazing, very nice and picturesque, lots of German and Dutch people, which is always a good indication of the quality of the resort. The buildings are all low rise, white and give a very Mediterranean feel. The beaches are outstanding, particularly Cala Egos and Cala Esmeralda. The weather was tremendous for October, although the week before was appalling, so I dropped on there. The hotel offers 10% discount at Don Leone and Blanco y Negro restaurants. Visit the port, a very quick short cut is to head straight on out of the hotel and you are there in less than 5 minutes!
All in all, I loved Cala D'or but sadly the room was awful. It should either be updated and modernised or used as a cleaners cupboard. I was very envious of other people's rooms. Maybe they thought, ah single traveller here for 5 days, he can have the worst room.. well single travellers have expectations too I am afraid!
Would I stay here again, well probably no..unless I could be guaranteed a decent room. I did not get what I requested, and there was no interest about any of the concerns I had. So fellow travellers, I will leave it up to you to chance it. If you get a nice room, then you will have a great holiday here, it's a superb base for a stay in a beautiful resort.

Room Tip: ask for a room above ground floor and not facing the noisy road, and also one with card entry doors...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank JonH2602
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here from 19th September 2012, having previously visited 4 or 5 years ago. Our room was an upstairs room in quite a good situation but was in desperate need of some TLC. The bath had been painted inside and was peeling quite badly and was so slow to drain away that when showering the water reached mid-calf! We could not understand that when all rooms cost the same, why some have flat screen tv's and others not at all (ours) On the plus side the room was cleaned well, regular linen changes and breakfast was fine, would pay more if the extra was used to upgrade the rooms, also feel that the TV lounge could be better utilized to incorporate a shower room for late departures.

4 Thank Chris W
West Midlands
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here from 19th September 2012 for a week. We were in ground floor room 105, not far from the pool, and we were very happy with it. I have had a replacement hip and have arthritis and I found the bed quite comfortable and could sleep quite well, which was great. I could also step into the bath to shower as it had lower sides. There was a flat screen tv with some English/American programmes. The room was kept very clean, with free air con that could be set on "quiet" Our patio had sun and shade most of the day. Two little things not so good, were the curtains that did not have enough hooks and a few tiny little insects in the bathroom and wardrobe - but hey - it was summer and very hot!
The breakfasts were great - served between 8 am and 10 am and if you arrived nearer to 10 am, which we did once, there was still food being prepared freshly. (bacon, eggs - sometimes fried, sometimes scrambled, and varying choices of mushrooms, sausage, beans, tomatoes and cold choices of boiled eggs, tomatoes cheese, fruit, sauces, plus fruit juices, cereals, coffee and various breads. Never too crowded. .

We didn't use the pool, which looked very nice, but plenty of people seemed to be enjoying it! We had one meal in the restaurant/bar, when we arrived while we waited for our room to be made ready, and that was fine. There were lots of steps down to the breakfast room, but I am sure they would have unlocked another door if I had asked. There was also a room to watch satellite tv, but we didn't go to look. There was satellite tv in the bar area.

We had half board and were given a card to use at a lovely restaurant Don Leone, in the main restaurant area up the road for our evening meal. This was good because there was a very nice atmosphere once dusk fell. The food there was a little repetitive, but we hadn't paid much, so what did we expect? The waiters/waitresses were pleasant, we had three courses each night and never left hungry. Drinks including half a carafe of wine and coffee came to about 10 euros per night. Had we used a couple of other restaurants during the day, our card gave us a discount of 10%.

I appreciate from other comments that we were very lucky in being given a decent room. The one big downside for us was the night club over the road from our room situation - I like modern music, but the thumping base notes were very loud between .11 pm and 3 am and on one night the party goers were still screaming and shouting and running about at 4.50 am. Double glazing on the patio doors would have helped enormously.

If you can get a decent room then I would recommend this hotel for a week's stay on half board, any longer, perhaps the food on Don Leone's special menu for our hotel would have become too boring (never unpleasant though). It has a good location, close to everything and the little train, buses to Palma and to most other local places can be caught just up the road.

Room Tip: Call the hotel if you don't book direct with them, check your room number, avoid the room number...
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here for a week recently and as previous review it all depends on what room you get. We were put in room 31 which is round the back of the hotel , dark ,small , terrible balcony and furniture and very little storage space. We asked to be moved but were told the hotel was full and to come back and ask again later. Because we spent very little time at the hotel we didn't force the issue and just put up with it. The receptionist and other staff were miserable and unhelpful. To be fair on the upside the hotel is very clean and in a great location but I wouldn't risk it again.
Great place to eat is the Pirate steak house and for a drink stop the little tavern was great and Steve the owner was a real star.
Book somewhere else and pay a bit more for peace of mind.

Room Tip: Insist that they don,t put you around the back in rooms 25-33. If they do insist on moving.