“Very nice hotel”

Dor
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Spent a week here with my dad to chill out. Wife and children left behind. Did a lot of research and very nice hotel. Staff a bit thin on ground especially at busy times where the receptionist is the bar person and cook and dealing with other issues. It is a little bit of a problem. Constant problems with the safe but air conditioning was excellent and we really needed it. Breakfast was good and the pool was excellent and always a sun lounger to lay on. All in all would visit again, probably with my wife next time.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jameson9364

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here in May and had some very good weather. No problems with any insects !!
The hotel itself is made up of several rooms set around a pleasant pool area, a bar and small reception. There is free internet access in the bar and a happy hour between 4.30 and 5.30.
Our room was very clean and not too small - if you really like TV on holiday there are instructions so that you can switch some spanish channels into english( UK/USA progs & films and good on the one afternoon when it rained).
Breakfast was fine, obviously basic (we are talking two star hotel here !!) but it did run to both cooked and cold with no complaints from us.
We did go half board and to be honest would agree with previous comments - an evening meal at Don Leone which is a short walk from the restaurant but on a fairly restricted menu. We would also have been happy to have been given the option to pay extra to go a la carte as it did look nce.
The night porter,who also looked after breakfast was very friendly as was the filipino lady who looked after the bar in the afternoon. A very friendly feel round the pool in the day with other guests as well
Location was very good within a short walking distance of the marina one way and the best restaurants/bars the other.
All in all we were very pleased with our stay and thought it was slightly better than the 2 star rating.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lisadoeseurope
sunderland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Just returned from a weeks stay at this small and friendly 2 star hotel. The hotel is located only a 2 minute walk away from the main square containing bars and restaurants. It is also only a 10 minute walk from the fabulous marina. The hotel itself was clean and tidy, small pool with plenty of sun loungers,a nice poolside bar serving day time snacks including happy hour 4.30 till 5.30 every day,enjoyable breakfast which kept you going until lunch time. Our only disappointment was our room faced onto the road side which we found noisey during the night but other than that,excellent enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a road side room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank echobeach2
Poole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

On arrival at midnight I was advised by the Manager Lena that the hotel was overbooked for that night but she would take me to another hotel and then in the morning the other hotel would call her and she would come and collect me. Next morning came and the hotel phoned Lena at the D'or but the hotel phone was on divert to some random person in Spain! I got put in a taxi and obtained a receipt. Lena refunded me the fare but I received no apology from her for the inconvenience. I found Lena to be the most unapproachable person to be a manager.

The breakfast/bar staff were nice and polite and friendly. The hotel itself was lovely I had room P36 3 steps up from the pool area, cleaned daily with fresh towels everyday except Tuesday. I had no problem with insects but I know others did to be fair.
I could even sleep with the glass doors open as I also had wooden slatted doors that closed and locked. I heard no noise at all. Air con is free if you wish to use it.

Free wifi available in the bar/pool area and I could also get it on my terrace and occasionally in my room.

Breakfast - there was so much to choose from, fried breakfast, fresh fruit, toast, baby croissants, cakes, orange juice and hot drinks.
Bar snacks I felt were good value for Money 4 euro 90 for a meal and a large drink of your choice.

I do not recommend half board at this hotel at all, you eat at the Don Leon in the centre of the town which is only about a 5 min walk from the hotel, what you are not told though is you are given a set menu whilst everyone else eating there can choose what they like from the menu! The gentleman who appeared to be the head waiter made me feel I was more of an inconvenience for him as I was having the set menu and I therefore chose not to eat there some nights purely due to him. Also a couple (who are not on half board) if you eat before 8pm at this restaurant get a free bottle of wine but a couple on half board didnt! - Hardly fair.
A much better option would have been to say to me you have an allowance of x amount of Euros and if you wish to spend more you then pay that.

So a nice hotel - shame about the Manager not being a bit more apologetic and friendly,

Room Tip: Rooms P35-P38 and rooms in the 400 range. Request a pool view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Alibongo54
Inverness
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

My room was round the back of the hotel & almost in complete darkness as door faced a giant hedge. The boiler room was next to my room so pipe noises kept me awake almost every night. When I first got into the room the smell of strong disinfectant was overpowering. The door handle came off in my hand & when I had a shower the shower head fell off the wall almost knocking me out. There were ants in my bed & I ended up with bad mosquito bites after the first night. For the next two days of my holiday I couldn't bend my fingers. One member of staff was lovely & talkative but the others were no help at all & didn't even look up when you passed reception desk. One of the girls didn't even know where Inca was. So she said. The pensioners who have been to this hotel before couldn't praise it enough, but I will definitely not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms round the back in the shade of the trees & hedges are full of ants & mosquitoes.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ali W
cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

arrived back to-day 12th June 2012 we would recommend this lovely hotel to anyone the staff are great service brilliant rooms spotless in fact an all round great place give it a visit you wont be disappointed Should be more than just 2 Stars

Room Tip: rooms near main road are the best
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brookybetty
kazmike2011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

Great break, good size room, with balcony, good hygiene standard,very clean. Good food, excellent staff. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family