“Good 2 star hotel”

Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
sunderland
“Good 2 star hotel”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Just returned from a weeks stay at this small and friendly 2 star hotel. The hotel is located only a 2 minute walk away from the main square containing bars and restaurants. It is also only a 10 minute walk from the fabulous marina. The hotel itself was clean and tidy, small pool with plenty of sun loungers,a nice poolside bar serving day time snacks including happy hour 4.30 till 5.30 every day,enjoyable breakfast which kept you going until lunch time. Our only disappointment was our room faced onto the road side which we found noisey during the night but other than that,excellent enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a road side room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank echobeach2

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Poole
Reviewed July 5, 2012

On arrival at midnight I was advised by the Manager Lena that the hotel was overbooked for that night but she would take me to another hotel and then in the morning the other hotel would call her and she would come and collect me. Next morning came and the hotel phoned Lena at the D'or but the hotel phone was on divert to some random person in Spain! I got put in a taxi and obtained a receipt. Lena refunded me the fare but I received no apology from her for the inconvenience. I found Lena to be the most unapproachable person to be a manager.

The breakfast/bar staff were nice and polite and friendly. The hotel itself was lovely I had room P36 3 steps up from the pool area, cleaned daily with fresh towels everyday except Tuesday. I had no problem with insects but I know others did to be fair.
I could even sleep with the glass doors open as I also had wooden slatted doors that closed and locked. I heard no noise at all. Air con is free if you wish to use it.

Free wifi available in the bar/pool area and I could also get it on my terrace and occasionally in my room.

Breakfast - there was so much to choose from, fried breakfast, fresh fruit, toast, baby croissants, cakes, orange juice and hot drinks.
Bar snacks I felt were good value for Money 4 euro 90 for a meal and a large drink of your choice.

I do not recommend half board at this hotel at all, you eat at the Don Leon in the centre of the town which is only about a 5 min walk from the hotel, what you are not told though is you are given a set menu whilst everyone else eating there can choose what they like from the menu! The gentleman who appeared to be the head waiter made me feel I was more of an inconvenience for him as I was having the set menu and I therefore chose not to eat there some nights purely due to him. Also a couple (who are not on half board) if you eat before 8pm at this restaurant get a free bottle of wine but a couple on half board didnt! - Hardly fair.
A much better option would have been to say to me you have an allowance of x amount of Euros and if you wish to spend more you then pay that.

So a nice hotel - shame about the Manager not being a bit more apologetic and friendly,

Room Tip: Rooms P35-P38 and rooms in the 400 range. Request a pool view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Alibongo54
Inverness
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My room was round the back of the hotel & almost in complete darkness as door faced a giant hedge. The boiler room was next to my room so pipe noises kept me awake almost every night. When I first got into the room the smell of strong disinfectant was overpowering. The door handle came off in my hand & when I had a shower the shower head fell off the wall almost knocking me out. There were ants in my bed & I ended up with bad mosquito bites after the first night. For the next two days of my holiday I couldn't bend my fingers. One member of staff was lovely & talkative but the others were no help at all & didn't even look up when you passed reception desk. One of the girls didn't even know where Inca was. So she said. The pensioners who have been to this hotel before couldn't praise it enough, but I will definitely not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms round the back in the shade of the trees & hedges are full of ants & mosquitoes.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ali W
cheshire
Reviewed June 15, 2012

arrived back to-day 12th June 2012 we would recommend this lovely hotel to anyone the staff are great service brilliant rooms spotless in fact an all round great place give it a visit you wont be disappointed Should be more than just 2 Stars

Room Tip: rooms near main road are the best
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brookybetty
kazmike2011
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Great break, good size room, with balcony, good hygiene standard,very clean. Good food, excellent staff. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank kazmike2011
Ferndown, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2011

A welcome break in the English Autumn. Good food, excellent staff. Lovely pool and relaxed pool snack bar (meals also) and entertainment. A lovely little cove and sandy beach, clear water to swim.
Can get crowded at weekends and can get noisy into the early hours! despite the 'we ask our guests etc'
Cala D'or itself is nicely pedestrianised. You will need a crystal ball to decide where to eat, but don't break a leg to choose they are all the same.
Beware the 'gym' it is absolutely useless.
Also beware, you might get a small room, and the next doors get a bigger room and balcony. We suffered from serial smokers, which was a real turn off.
I think we would hire a car next time, but the trips out were good.
Best things were the staff, unfailingly polite, helpful and informative (especially the restaurant staff)
Would we go back? maybe, but with a lot more insistance on what room we got for our money (it isn't cheap in the first place)
Let's finish on a high note, there are a lot of Germans there as well as brits, and the Germans like good service (did you know they pay less for their hols?). And also, it is a lovely place, you can take relaxed evening walks around the marina and around anywhere without any interference, you never feel threatened even at midnight or beyond.
One more point, If I was the owner, I would meet the punters at least once.

Room Tip: spend time deciding whether you want a great view, or a good sleep
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tigroidal
Nottingham
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Previous reviews have covered almost everything, so I'll concentrate on what in my opinion may be helpful to potential guests considering staying here....
On arrival (14 nights) we were allocated Room 410, on the 1st floor.
This room had a fairly large balcony with 2 chairs and one sunbed.....'twas clean & remained so, due to attentions of diligent cleaners.
Other rooms (i.e. room 400), much smaller were allocated to people staying for shorter periods (3/4/7 nights) - these (ground floor) rooms, I would have not been happy with - tiny terraces (2 chairs only) - minimal light/damp/musty.
The whole complex is infested with tiny stinging ants which in itself was a minor irritation to us, but others may not see it as 'minor' - especially those with young children.
It's unlikely we would re-visit purely because of the risk-factor of being allocated a ground-floor room.
On the positive side - plenty of p/backs available + free internet access in bar, hardworking/engrossed staff, good location, decent pool.
In Cala D'Or itself - we never had a bad meal - intense competition ensures decent food but shop around the bars because drink prices can vary greatly....
Cimber.

Room Tip: Specify 1st floor.....
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple