“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I returned on 20th July from the wonderful ferrera blanca aparthotel. We had a fantastic week. The weather was a bit showery but, still two days out of the seven were sunny and hot. The previous week had been sunny everyday apparently.
Still, this was the only hiccup and not the hotels fault of course. The hotel made up for this.
From the moment we arrived to the moment we were leaving, the staff were great, friendly and obliging. We arrived after midnight and a helpful receptionist guided us to a complimentary late dining room where we found ample sandwich stuff and salad, not to mention the coffee machine. How nice, how many hotels do this?

We were booked into one of the double superior rooms, I'd asked for a high floor, quiet room. We ended up in block 9 on the top of the two storey rooms with balcony overlooking the garden. Very peaceful and we could just about see the sea!
The room was so sell equipped with kettle ( not mentioned with company I booked with ) and fridge. The shower was divine, a walk-in shower with rainforest effect. One of the best.

The food was excellent, probably the second best food I've experienced in all my travels in the Mediterranean with plenty of choice, changing everyday and fresh and hot. Definitely four star standard here. The main dining room was well organised, you wait to be seated by the most friendly gracious maitre dean and the waiting staff don't hover around you.

The hotel has three pool areas which also gave you some space. We preferred the quieter lower pool area by our room. The upper, main pool was where all the games took place . The animation team seemed to work tirelessly each day to entertain all ages around this pool.

The animations team were at the core of the evening entertainment, but, there were three nights where local professional acts appeared. The stage was outside by the main pool, ample seating and lighting with waiter to table service. The only thing I'd say, is it can get loud during the shows and I would not want to stay in the rooms around the stage.

The bar staff worked tirelessly to serve you, no long queues here and the g&t was the largest glass I've ever drunk before!

All in all, this is a fantastic hotel suitable for all ages. The staff are lovely and the resort of Cala Ferrera is so pretty, with a lovely beach a stone throw away. The pretty white washed properties are nestled in the resort sides , a gently slopping
bay , adorned by greenery and colourful flowers everywhere. Also, the roads running around the resort are single track, no speeding here, so quiet.

You can not go wrong either if you go to see the marina, a feast for the eyes with a huge collection of yachts of every size and description. We took a taxi as it is a long walk, we attempted to walk it twice, got lost due to poor signage and went one evening instead. We treated ourselves to tapas for a change and watched the world go by.

We will definitely be going back to the Ferrera Blanca one day, it's on our lists of 'must do again' .
Treat yourselves to a fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: Choose a double superior Room if you are a couple.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bucketandspade1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This was our 5th year of staying at this hotel and it still does not disappoint!! We were a family of 4 (14 yr old and 8 yr old), part of a larger group, and stayed for 10 days all inclusive. From reception staff to waiters & bar staff (shout out to Zahira, Jose Louis, Rebeca, Sebas, Martin the Machine, Javi, Javii, and Jose), even the cleaners, lifeguards and groundsmen, everyone is very polite, happy, friendly - and my word they put some long hours in and yet still remain happy, friendly and polite! 3 pools to choose from, location is right next to the beach, entertainment was good (Juanman ROCKED!!), lots of activities going on for adults and children, food was good as always; good choice for children although my children were happy with pasta chips and cheese (??!!) haha! Everywhere was clean, sunbeds around the main 2 pools were very comfortable, rooms were great as always. If you want to pay that bit extra with no 'riff-raff' then this is perfect - great hotel, great staff, great location. Give it a try and you will not be disappointed! Hope to return again soon :) KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FERRERA BLANCA!! wooohoooo!!! :) Elise Lewis & Family (9-19th June 2014)

Room Tip: Block 12 overlooks the entertainment area .
5 Thank Elise-Zumba-Lewis
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2014

After reading the reviews I expected exceptional food. In our opinion ( 4 of us including my father and 5 year old daughter) it was average to good. Some nights nothing seemed very appealing so we often took advantage of the Italian restaurant downstairs as at least you got to sit down for your meal there and they brought your meal and your drinks to you. Fresh pizzas at lunchtime downstairs also fabulous. Cleanliness was good except around the main pool area where there always seemed to be stuff blowing around. My main gripe with the hotel was the way the kids club was run. They didn't sign my daughter in or out. They didn't take my name,room number or mobile number so if she had fallen and hit her head I dread to think what would have happened. When she had enough after about an hour as it wasn't very stimulating for her they took her as far as the main pool and said "do you know where your mummy is" and that was it - they were left to find their own way back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had gone up to my room as her pick up time was not for another hour and was horrified when I opened the door ( we were way over the other side of the complex past 2 pools and across a road) and she was standing there! In no book is that acceptable. Other staff were great and very accommodating and friendly. All in all a nice holiday but we won't be back as we could never trust the kids club after that. Entertainment VERY noisy until 11.30 pm even though we were no where near the main building/stage area. Very close to the nice beach. Easy walk in to town.

3 Thank Poppy1508
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Disappointed to be housed in block 14 - noisy area by the stage, main pool and bar. Unable to move as hotel full. Our terrace was very shaded, only received limited morning sun, unlike many of the other rooms. Apart from that the suite was modern, well equipped and spacious but the bed was hard and two singles that kept drifting apart. Turned down room upgrade for seventy euros, as this room was also getting little sun. As it happened, there were advantages to being by the stage/bar as the weather wasn't always fantastic so handy for bringing drinks to room. Very noisy, full of kids but roof terrace is quiet area. Everywhere very clean and modern. Great food(buffet and Italian) drinks and cocktails. Good variety of food but if you don't like fish you may miss out at times especially on Spanish night. Always plain food available at kids buffet area if needed. Fab deserts and pizzas. Great, friendly, professional staff everywhere. Waiter service poolside in evenings. Great idea of breakfast available at 5 am as we left. Some good entertainment, usual AI standard with good live music in Italian restaurant, bingo and quizzes. Comedy show was a bit odd. Great hotel if you want noisy and kid friendly but not the best for couples wanting a relaxing break.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Deb H
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Had ten nights at the ferrera blanca, hotel was clean and rooms like new. short walk to beach and 5 minutes to funfair for kids. supermarket across the road. all staff helpful and friendly, food really good. entertainment team Juanmar, Kirsty, Danny, Alina and Nacho were the best and made our stay something special. For someone whos not done all inclusive with entertainment before I had an amazing time! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: the rooms around the central pool and entertainments area are not good if you want to go to sleep be...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank smallcat2014
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights all inclusive from 8th to 13th June there was me my husband and our 17 year old daughter and I can honestly say that we were all catered for from me who wanted to relax and my husband and daughter who joined in all the activities. I found this quite a unique holiday were i was totally relaxed and at ease which is a great testament to the warm and welcoming staff. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the food was great. All the staff were extremley helpful and could not do enough for you. The entertainment staff were fantastic and the inhouse show was very professional, the enthusiasm of the entertainment staff was second to none and I must mention Nacho who is a lovely young man and always tried to make you feel welcome and also a great shout out to Kirsty, I have never seen someone so commited and full of life and enthusiasm from morning till night, she is one of the hardest working people I have met and always put in that extra effort which made her stand out from the rest, she is a credit to the hotel as are the rest of the staff from the cleaners, bar staff etc. Would highly recommend this hotel, I would have no hesitation at returning.

5 Thank IanTomo1
barnsley
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Second time to this hotel. This time we went all inclusive. I can't say enough about this place. The room was amazing. Straight on the beach and it was cleaned mopped and all towels and bedding replaced daily. The food was absolutely beautiful. Cannot complain about one item of food I ate and there really is something for everyone. All ages and races catered for. The bar staff and waiters always had a smile on their faces. And they even gave you table service around the pool and on an evening watching the entertainment. The entertainment day and night was brilliant. Something for kids and adults all day and night. And another bonus. If you do visit here. Dont take beach towels. You can rent them from the hotel for ten euros fir as many as you like. And you can get them replaced as many times as you like. And at the end od your stay. When you return them. They return you your money. Absolutely top class treatment and a top class hotel. 10 out of 10. We got back yesterday and weve already prices it uo for next year and are booking again next week. Highly recommend you go here. Amazing

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple