“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Protur Bonamar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cala Bona
Protur Bonamar
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Cala Bona
ABZ
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Four of us went from 23rd to 30th Oct 2012. We arrived late i.e. 1am rather than 8pm due to French air traffic controller dispute. A table had been set out for us in the restaurant with a cold snack, thank you Bonamar. Although considered small by some, the rooms are more than adequate. We paid extra for a sea view and had a third floor location looking over the pool area and out to see, brilliant!!! The hotel is spotless and the staff should be proud of that.

The Bonamar has a nice pool area with lots of beds but the hotel was only about a third full so I would assume the beds would go pretty quickly in the summer months. There is also a nice shaded bar area with tables and chairs as well as the inside seating area. For the avid football fan who wants to sit inside, SKY sports is available in the TV lounge. My wife and I didn’t use the inside pool but the in-laws did and were very complimentary about it.

We were half board and I have to say that I thought the standard of food on offer was pretty good. If you cannot find something to eat from what is being offered then you are too fussy and would not be happy regardless of what was put in front of you. Toasties and chips etc are available from the bar at lunch time if required.

Natalie provides the entertainment and does her best to get everyone motivated. We had limited entertainment in the evening which was your usual offering of bingo followed by a singing act; Bobby Alexander could do better because he has a decent voice but his arrangement of songs and the constant ad-libbing (did he forget the words???) left a lot to be desired.

The hotel bar prices are OK but obviously there are cheaper options within easy walking distance. An alternative to the hotel toastie can be found in the shop 100 yards down to the right of the front door. Sandwiches made fresh for you as you wait and a nice bit of banter to go along with it. Nice cheap fizz and San Miguel for 80c a tin, super, lol!!!

We went to Dave’s quiz night at Yate’s bar just outside the hotel; It was a good evening with “happy hour” from 8pm – 10:30pm. If you like Tapas, try La Granada down at the Marina. It is located about 100 yards past the Cala Bona Hotel and serves great food. I would also recommend Melis bar on the sea front. Turn right at the Moreyo Hotel as you head towards the Marina and you will find it no problem. We never ate there but had a few drinks in the sunshine overlooking the sea – great beer, great views and very friendly staff.

There are plenty of bars, cafés and restaurants in Cala Bona and you also have Cala Millor on your doorstep. I would however say that I preferred Cala Bona, just looks a bit nicer in my opinion.

Room Tip: See view rooms at the front of the hotel overlooking the pool are best
6 Thank Travel-Buddy-65

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Previously read these great reviews, so booked this hotel with confidence. We had a thoroughly excellent time at this hotel, and even though our second week was the last week before the winter closure, the staff, all of them, never let their standards slip and were cheerful and very polite right up to the closure.
The food was very good with lots to choose from, the pool area and its position was one the best I have ever encountered with fantastic sun beds, there was no reserving of sun beds with the poolside towels!! The room is a little on the small side, but not a problem. To say there is only one lift available we found it to be very quick and efficient.
This is an adult only hotel and we found that all the other guests were extremely friendly and it made for a very good atmosphere, with a number of guests having stayed here on several occasions!!
On the entertainment side and as previously mentioned Natalie was an absolute star and also kept it going right up to the end, she is the best Daffodil to come out of Wales.
Must also mention Heather the Thomson's rep who was very helpful.
Cala Bona / Cala Millor is a nice place and very flat for walking.

13 Thank Bernard B
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked a holiday here just glancing at the reviews which appeared to be very good, only after I had paid did I feel a little worried. OK so I am a 60 plus oldie myself but do I want to join in a lot of games and activities and spend my time in a poky room photographed by another reviewer with a tiny balcony?

Not to worry I didn't have to, we were given a room on the first floor which would have overlooked the sea if the trees weren't in the way, it was perfectly nice but very small, I think all the rooms are the same size. We did have a bit of a job storing our luggage and ended up lining the cases up opposite the bathroom.

The pool area is good and the snacks and drinks cheap. A bottle of wine in the dining room is about 6 euros.

Natalie was brilliant she put on plenty of activities for those who liked to join in.

The food was very good in my opinion but I spoke to a couple who hated it, all I can go on is my other half who moaned for a week when we were near Almeria earlier this year, but at the Bonamar he loved it, and of course he is used to my own delicious home cooking.

The room TV had all the main channels for those who like to keep up with the soaps.

The TV room had Sky sports for football fans.

You can hire pool towels quite cheaply so don't bother taking any.

I thought the entertainment was good, but again some didn't like Elvis, whereas I hated Robbie Williams, the best was the guy from Leeds.

All the staff very pleasant, especially room cleaner.

I hate myself for being a Brit abroad but Stanley's tea rooms is just great.

Would I go back? Definately.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
22 Thank zostar
yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We returned from the Bonamar on oct 11th after spending 10 nights there.It was our 4th year running as we have always had a great time there.As always good food excellent service from all the very friendly staff .We have made very good friends there and were very upset and indeed quite angry to find out that we wont be able to go again next year.As me and my husband always go with our friend who is a widow and so has a room on her own.We will no longer be able to book through the hotel and as Thomsons will not do single supplements it means that the holiday in October that we always look forward to will be no longer.As you can see I am not very happy with Thomsons.But thanks again to all the lovely staff for some happy memories

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank YorkshireMilkmaid
Cramlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have just returned from an excellent holiday at the Bonamar the staff are the best we have ever had at any hotel based holiday always a smile they laugh a lot and always seam happy to serve.Natalie is wonderful she works very hard and keeps everything moving along .The rooms are small but you have all you need every where is cleaned to a high standard,the food is much the same as most hotels a little bit samey but we always had plenty we didnt see much of the entertainment but what we did was good.The location is good as we don't have great mobility the walk to either the harbour or into Cala Millor was easy plenty of seats to rest but also no hills great for us.We will be back.

Room Tip: go for a sea view
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank spendingthekidsinher
Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We arrived at this hotel on the 29th September to chaos at the airport due to floods - we did not see any Reps in the airport at all - were all outside!!
We had to wait over an hour before finally moving - we arrived at the Bonamar 65 minutes later
This hotel is small - which is just the way we like it
We read the reviews on here & agree with most of what has been said
The rooms are small
The staff are very friendly
Natalie is great at getting the party started
The snacks & drinks are cheap - realy do not have to leave hotel at all
But the food in the restaurant was fabulous - we went for 10 nights & every meal we enjoyed & the breakfasts are brilliant - we put on loads of weight
No kids
Great location between Cala Millor & Cala Bona
Plenty of sunbeds & umbrellas
What we did find funny was that this was UK only tourists & they still put towels on sunbeds early in the morning - not he germans as is usually thought!!!!
The cleanliness in this hotel was exceptional
The clientelle are of an older generation - we are 49 & 50 & we were the youngest the first week!!!! But this did not matter - all the guests were great
We had the best sea view in the hotel & paid 10 euros a night for it - but cannot do this next year. Thomsons have locked this hotel into a contract - so unfortunately everything has to be booked with them & not the hotel - so will cost more!
Would we go again - definitely!!!!

Room Tip: Sea view room is a must - on the top floor (411)
7 Thank Holichick
durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

the staff of this hotel make you feel very welcome. The location is ideally situated between Cala Bona and Cala Millor. The rooms are a touch on the small side but perfectly adequate and kept clean by housekeeping.

Room Tip: We had a sea view room overlooking the gardens and it was wonderful
2 Thank karent33
#13 of 20 in Cala Bona
Marins Hotels
Marins Hotels
#14 of 65 in Cala Millor

Been to Protur Bonamar? Share your experiences!