“good staff lovely apartment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Protur Bonaire Aparthotel

Protur Bonaire Aparthotel
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Cala Bona
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“good staff lovely apartment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

one of the smartest apartments we have stayed in.Thomson staff very good gareth very helpful we booked this last minute our kids all grown up note we new it was a kids hotel they do a good job for familes,However the constant voice of the girl rep was like a buzz saw after many hours of screeching at the pool area this goes on till late not relaxing at and in the evening the noise can be heard 100yrs near to the bip supermarket they must get a lot of complaints from locals as its 7 days a week. Suggest thomson use a noise meter to see how bad this impacts on the local enviroment. They need to cut it all out and know its very bad for the hotel as we wouldnt return for this reason. The Resort stops all entertaintment in the area at 12 midnight the best hotel for entertaintment was the atolon grat entertaintment mowtown and soul acts wow factor the caves of drach great, Word on CHIRIS RESTAURANT the most vile food we ever ate in our life avoid this place. To cycle is wonderful we went beyond porto christo to the romantic beaches, beautiful, and the beach at los pinos is great the beach bar the best food in town the owner is very hands on and a singer is on a monday lovely spot.

Room Tip: block 3 ground floor very quiet here we got a fab sleep black out curtains
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spartcus

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was our first time and yes we would go back.

We are a family of three and stayed 10 nights at Bonarie in August half board.

We thought the Thompson reps were excellent especially Nutty Nathan and Krazy Kayla I have never seen people work this hard.

Pros:
Excellent Entertainment Team
Good food (Buffet and Italian Restaurant)
Nice pools
Good kids clubs
The children are very safe
Extremely clean public areas and apartment
BIP supermarket close to hand
Friendly and helpful hotel reception
Cala bona is a nice little resort
Lifeguard onsite

Cons:
The Safe in the room you had to pay for
Occasional smell of drains one side of the pool
Wi-fi only in lounge area, and a little slow

Room Tip: email the hotel directly and ask for block 4 or 5, we did this and were given an excellent room with...
1 Thank simon28
Sheffield, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Don't get me wrong, almost everything about this hotel is great but there is one thing that I really hated about the holiday and it is my reason for only giving three out of five. The mattress on the bed was terrible. It was much harder than I'm used to and every night I struggled to sleep and woke up with a lot of pain in my neck and back. After two nights I asked at reception if they had anything else but they didn't so I tried padding it with blankets. This made no difference at all so I spent the rest of the holiday on the sofa which was much softer. My wife wasn't fond of the bed either but could sleep on it better than I could and was happy to have more room in it once I'd gone!

Apart from that, the only thing that bugged us was the Thomson staff; they weren't overly helpful. The two times we had questions for them, they either told us a load of nonsense (we asked for some activities and instead, followed their advice and ended up at a welcome meeting even though we'd been there for five days already) or simply said they couldn't help at all. The entertainment is also very loud and unrelenting but it's just not to our taste (and at the age of two, our daughter was still too young to appreciate it). I'm sure older children would get much more out of it.

That's all the bad, the rest was good or great. The staff are the best thing about the hotel. They are all extremely friendly and helpful, especially at reception. We had a problem with our booking where we thought we'd booked a late checkout (as it seemed to be automatically included on the booking, turns out we may have been wrong). At the time we were convinced we should have had it so asked both reception and the reps (sent to their 24 hour text number which promises a reply within an hour). We never heard from Thomsons at all but in the morning, the receptionist arranged for us to use the Restroom (basically a room with everything but a bed). It had a cot so our daughter got her nap and we were able to store our things and enjoy the last day of our holiday (as our transfer picked us up at 8:30pm and regular checkout is at noon).

I've read some reviews saying the hotel looks as though it is getting worse but I couldn't see it. To me it looks to have been through a modernisation quite recently. The rooms were excellent condition and everything looked new. Interestingly, the Restroom we were given on the last day looked different so I assume this is what they looked like before the upgrade. Despite this, it still didn't look bad.

The only thing I'd say about the rooms is that it's a shame they aren't cleaned every day (the cleaners come five days a week). Apart from the two days they don't come, we missed two other days cleaning as they must have come when we were in (with our daughter napping in the middle of the day). Despite putting the "please clean" sign out once we left the room (no later than 2pm) they didn't come back so in a week, the room was only cleaned three times. Not a big deal for us but other people may not be happy with this.

Overall we had a good holiday but the bed is the reason I will never go back. I go on holiday to relax but if I can't sleep I'm essentially paying a fortune for discomfort and pain and come home more tired than when I left.

I've not seen anyone else complain about this so I'm certainly in the minority but if you like a softer mattress, think twice before you book this hotel. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll enjoy your holiday!

Room Tip: The back of block four is quietest. You can request a room via e-mail before you travel. We did this...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank mattyk1978
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Well what a Faboulous holiday we had yet again at the Bonarie, it was special because we had our Wedding blessing there however it was made special by the amount of effort the hotel staff and Thompson staff put in to our Day I cant thanking them enough for giving us a day/Honeymoon that we will never forget. The hotel staff treat us like Kings every time we have gone there this being our 8th year and what makes the hotel diffrent is the staff they are pretty much the same year in year out with the exception of some youngsters brought in here and there, but what is constant is the Freindlyness and their nothing is too much trouble approach towards you so if you are concidering getting married abroad i would highly recomend this Hotel and its staff to you.
Now about this time last year i was writing a very diffrent review, nothing wrong with the hotel as i have said they are second to none, we had the worst Thompson reps ever at this hotel to the point that quite a few of the guests complained to Thompsons and to Guillem .
We booked All inclusive again this year as our daughter and us love the activities around the pool, so we were praying we would have good reps and we were not dissapointed we had proabbly the best team of reps ever so thankyou Thompsons for listening your reps and the hotel staff made our Hneymoon/Blessing/Holiday and ensured that we will be back next year.
I have to give a special mention to the Entertainment Reps Lady Lotty, Krazy Kayla with the legs and last but not least Nutty Nathan this Trio work so hard are always genuinley happy to sit and talk with you , even when the activities had ended at night they stayed and chatted I know they will be somewhere else next year but i so wish they were at the Bonarie.

Room Tip: block 5 5310 that way you dodge the Palm tree so you can see the see
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Bonaire Aparthotel is a lovely, well layed out complex close to bars shops and restaurants. It is a safe place for children to play and our son made many friends and enjoyed many of the activities. This was our second visit but I m afraid to say don t think we ll be returning for a third year. The Thomson team take over the place from early morning till late at night, they are extremely noisy and at times I felt that they were entertaining themselves more than anyone else, In the afternoon they turned the music up so sitting around the pool was not a relaxing experience, I did ask them to turn it down a notch which they said they would but didint, and so Rihanna blasted on, I dont have a problem with on site entertainment as I said our son enjoyed some but not everyone wants to join in and I m not alone with this other people told me they went to the beach every day to escape the noise. The shows in the evening went on too late also for anyone with young children. Cala bona is a nice little resort and the walk to Cala Miller is good with plenty of restaurants along the way, Bip supermarket down the road is as good as anywhere to stock up. We took a trip to the caves which was an experience, hundreds of people hoarded into it and told to keep moving, the caves are amazing just think tours could be better organised. Despite all this we had a lovely family holiday as always, Mallorca is a little paradise with something for everyone, just think Thomson Team need to curtail their enthusiasm a little , games and entertainment are fine for those who want it but let the rest of us relax and enjoy a bit of well earned peace and quiet. We also think reps should accompany travellers on the way to accommodation, there were elderly people on our bus that got off twice at the wrong hotel, when you pay for a package that is what you should get..

Room Tip: Pool views are lovely but noisy.
4 Thank woodyIreland
Bingley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Booked as a late deal so excellent value for money. A great family hotel well placed for the local resort and sea front/beach. Hotel staff all very friendly and the entertainment staff work round the clock to ensure everyone is kept entertained - especially the kids.
Extremely clean public areas and apartment, and the food, although buffet style was plentiful with a good range and choice.
We went as a couple and did feel a little out of place at times due to it being a family resort but I can see the attraction for families and all the children were kept well entertained day and night. The evening adult entertainment went down quite well too.
Just a short walk into Cala Bona, plenty of bars, shops and restaurants and very clean.
Would certainly recommend for couples wanting a quick/relaxing break away and for families wanting that yearly family holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunnyd_ingham
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

we stayed from 2nd Sept -9th Sept .....on arrival we were greeted by friendly hotel reception staff check in was fast and we were in our rooms within15 mins ....the rooms are very clean with modern facilities we did ask for rooms together although we did not get this we were on the same floor which did not cause a problem the room on the side of the splash is quieter with a great vista of the countryside , the other room was facing the pool which a little noisy at night from the entertainment but did not really disturb our nights rest .We found the food served at breakfast and evening meal time was of a good standard something to suit all tastes (we were half board). the waiter/waitress all very friendly talking time talk to the little ones .The splash pool is where we spent most of the time in the day it is ideal for the children ....the childrens clubs are great for the kids in the day/early evening ...our little one loved the chocolate party.. and was keen to go to the clubs(which is a good sign) .... .we found the animation team where really good with children ......but the only downside was the night entertainment started a little to late and nothing really the younger ones could join in 2 yrs -5 yrs as it was songs and games they didn't really understand . time to relax ...... not really as we had to keep up with daily time table we had for the little ones . we really enjoyed our time here this is a childrens holiday ....if you have a child phobia this not the holiday for you . we did take time to go outside the hotel and walk along the prom which has various restaurants and shops . I would recommend this hotel and resort for a family holiday or family ranged from 1yr to 80yrs .

Room Tip: ask for rooms on the 4th floor facing splash pool as they are quieter.the sun faces the pool rooms a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Grupotel Mallorca Mar
Grupotel Mallorca Mar
#12 of 18 in Cala Bona
4.0 of 5 stars 170 reviews

Been to Protur Bonaire Aparthotel? Share your experiences!