“Perfect.”

Protur Alicia Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Cala Bona
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Arrived back from the Alicia on 14th Sept after a 2 week stay and all I can say is wow!

I have been travelling abroad every year for the last 15 years and I can honestly say that this is THE BEST hotel I have had the pleasure to stay in (to date).

The staff were the friendliest ever and the hotel was spotless. And the food......yum. I have never encountered such a variety and of such high quality. (Men are required to wear long trousers at dinner).

The hotel is in a fantastic location with rooms having either ocean or pool views. A 10 minute walk will see you In Cala Millor for a more 'continental' feel.

The swimming pool isn't large and the sun beds are a little crammed in but there is an additional garden area with sunbeds which was lovely. On days when we weren't at the beach, we never had any trouble getting a sunbed.

I also liked that the bedrooms are carpeted rather than tiled. This acts as a good noise barrier.

The many retired visitors at the hotel were extremely friendly and courteous. We never felt uncomfortable or out of place around them.

Would I recommend The Alicia to others?......Absolutely!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms have the sun in the mornings. Pool view rooms have the sun in the afternoons/evening...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mamabowly
Write a ReviewReviews (1,431)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Good points-
Clean and tidy

Bad points-
This hotel is not suitable for anyone under the age of 60 and this should really be stated when this hotel is advertised. We are a young couple in our twenties and were made to feel extremely uncomfortable by the elderly guests who seemed to be under the impression that they owned the place.

Guests reserved sun beds at the earliest opportunity and quite often left towels on them for up to six hours and not even use them. Staff where informed but nothing was done. Sun beds were even reserved when there was heavy rain for the entire day.

Plenty of options for breakfast but evening meals appear to be on par with the quality of that provided by meals on wheels which clearly has the same target audience as the Alicia.

The hotel advertises a gym and fitness facilities. This consists of a running machine, a broken rowing machine and a dumbbell tower reaching a whopping 10kg. This falls far below what I would expect. The "gym" is also situated next to a heated indoor swimming pool and has no air condition.

The advertised WI-FI is almost not existent and we were lucky to get a signal

Entertainment was poor and again targeted at an elderly audience.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Stan18284
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The Alicia, one of many Hotels in Majorca where everything just right. Cala Bona/Cala Millor lovely resorts and on flat for walking difficulties. Five of us, friends go on holiday each year usually to tried and tested Hotels recommended by other friends, we were not disappointed.Could not fault anything about this Hotel, Food excellent. We requested a round table to seat the five of us and were given it immediately. We had this table for the duration of our stay for breakfast and evening meal, and had another place setting when we befriended a solo holiday maker later in week.Entertainment was excellent All the staff everywhere were friendly and helpful, Rooms comfortable could do with Kettle, only very few Spanish hotels provide one!,, facilities all extremely good. Just one minor disappointment which is not mentioned by Thomsons (described as seafront Hotel) and made a slight difference to myself in particular,and maybe should be made more clear to elderly visitors. Whilst not being severely disabled, I do have walking difficulties,I wish that I had known that the front entrance to Hotel was at the back and quite a walk (for me) around to the front and shops, with no "cut through" from the Hotel. This made it necessary to hire a "buggy"for the last few days. I had my seaview room as I always want, but had no idea before I got there that I couldn,t get to seafront without walking along the back road where the entrance to the Hotel is, .Also the shop across the road was vacated which made a longer walk to the spar necessary. However, none of this took anything away from the Hotel, once sorted enjoyed my stay at the Alicia.It would unfortunately make me think twice about returning rather than being not able to have the convenience of an entrance to both seafront and the shops.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank JoanW336
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was our fourth visit in five years to the Alicia. Why have we been back? it is simple because of the hotel, staff and people that we have met.

Lindsay in reception is excellent. Efficient and always very welcoming.

The hotel surroundings and lobbies are always kept in immaculate condition. There was one incident when we were there that involved the glass that had been thrown over the fence during the night. This could have happened anywhere and in fairness to the hotel staff they did everything in their power to ensure it had been cleared up. When it was realised that some bits of glass were still about announcements were made and the lifeguard, myself and numerous others helped to ensure there were no other bits in the pool. Not sure what else could have been done. Perhaps close the pool? Not what I would have wanted.

The entertainment during the day is excellent. A lot of credit must go to Chris and the new addition of Mary. Both work incredibly hard and in my opinion Chris goes well above and beyond what an entertainer is expected to do. A wide and varied variety of activities were put on. The boxercise was tough though but I would do it again. As for the water polo. This was great. If you don't want hit by the ball don't sit round the pool or if you do go and have a coffee for the twenty minutes it is on for. Fabulous fun for both kids and adults alike. It used to be on twice a week but is now on every day and is by far the most popular activity for guests. As for the kids it was great to have Mary who did activities with them and kept them amused at various points throughout the day.

The night time entertainment varied in quality. It was unfortunate the two weeks we were there that the Abba tribute act had to cancel as we have seen them before and they are excellent. The Take That tribute which I think may have been a one off was also very good and well worth watching. The American comedian was hilarious although if you are easily offended don't go and watch a comedian ever. Definitely one of the highlights if you like comedy. I must mention that having the mini disco every night was great for the kids and I know our kids really looked forward to taking part in this. In the past it was a lot shorter and earlier and that caused major issues with the timing of dinner etc. so the changes have definitely helped us to enjoy our holiday more. If you don't like things like that don't worry have a slightly later dinner and the disco is over by 9pm.

One thing I didn't like about the hotel and I did raise this with reception and the manager was the fact that some people from out with the hotel came just about every day and used the facilities. I feel this is wrong and to be fair to the hotel this may be difficult to control based on the layout of reception. Why should this bother me? Well I pay a lot of money to go on holiday and I pay to get a great hotel, facilities and day time entertainment. Why should someone pay buttons to go to a flat and get all the use of the pool facilities and on some occasions take part in activities? Beds generally weren't an issue despite the moans however this in another consideration that troubled me with non hotel guests using them. I was advised to report anybody who we knew were not staying at the hotel to the management and they would deal with this. Please do this if you know of anyone who is not staying there and maybe staying in the flats opposite. This is wrong!

As for the extras that people have mentioned there is outlay at the beginning with towels etc. I would much prefer to pay a deposit and get the towels changed semi regularly than use my own towels. The price has increased though and I can only imagine this is because people did not return them. If my memory serves me correctly it was 15 euros per towel deposit. The awning didn't bother me as we didn't use it. I would much prefer that the safe was included in the stay but in every hotel I have been in abroad you have to pay for it. As for the remote control you can still watch the TV and change the channels by doing it the old fashioned way and use the buttons on the TV.

Now down to the food. The first year I went to the hotel I had an issue because I didn't take a pair of long trousers with me on holiday. indeed why would you when you expect wall to wall sunshine but I have learned my lesson. Gents have to wear long trousers at dinner time. If you don't Sergio will have a quiet word and you will be asked to wear long trousers at dinner time. Apparently this is standard practice in a three and four star hotels in Spain. In the morning you can wear shorts and that is fine. To Sergio's credit he works tirelessly to ensure everything is the way that it should be. The variety of food has improved over the years and the standard this year I think is the best that it has ever been. Our kids are very fussy when it comes to what they will, and will not eat. This year there was something that they liked every day which was a relief.

The bar staff worked tirelessly in the heat. The price of drinks has gone up which I suppose you would expect. It was 3 euros a pint. At night you can understand this due to part of that presumably paying for the acts that are bought in to entertain the masses. There were several bars round about that you could get a pint for under 2 euros but with no entertainment. I suppose it depends on what you want.

We had a fantastic holiday and we have booked to go back again next year. Really looking forward to it. Keep up the good work hotel Alicia!

Room Tip: Most rooms have a sea view which is second to none. There are a limited number of rooms which don...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Coggs1
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We go to cala bona/cala millor every year as we find it the perfect place.There are no banks to walk up & plenty of seating wherever you go.This is the first time we have stayed at the Alicia & found it to be a lovely hotel;cleanliness excellent.All the staff very friendly & speak quite good english including the cleaners.Our room was on the 4th floor with a beautiful sea view.The only problem was there was no space between the toilet and the wall.Anyone larger than average would not be able to sit on it.Our daughter was in a single room on same floor & there was much more space.We would not recommend the El Mar restaurant.The prawn cocktail was a bowl full of lettuce with 3 small prawns in,a little bit of sauce on top with a sprinkle of caviar & 1 larger prawn on side of bowl.The rest of the food tasted quite nice but we felt like going into the restaurant to fill up.Plenty of sunbeds available any time of the day & lovely area for subnbathing.We cannot comment on night entertainment as we go to the tropical bar next to the bonamar hotel every night where everyone is made so welcome.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are brilliant
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank MaddyDarlington
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic 2 week break at the Alicia.
The location of the hotel is excellent, right on the sea front and handy for the harbour at Cala Bona and for walking into Cala Millor.
Victor the Thomsons rep was superb. He was helpful and friendly and always happy to help with anything.
We enjoyed the food in the hotel but we weren't so keen on the Del Mar restaurant. If we returned to the hotel we would give it a miss. At lunchtime we used Stanleys and Fortys, both were excellent. Quite often we popped along to spar (just past Stanleys) who made up delicious rolls, bagettes etc for 1.70 euros.
The hotel is absolutely spotless and the staff are amazing. We had a room on the 4th floor which had excellent sea views. We used the hotel towel service, it cost 15 euros each for the 2 weeks but we got it back at the end of our stay. The safety deposit box cost 2 euros per day plus a 5 euro deposit. We didn't bother hiring the remote control for the T.V. because it was easy to work it using the controls on the side.
We didn't see much of the entertainment but what we did see was good. We didn't have any problem getting sunbeds at any time of the day.
Overall this hotel is superb for couples and families with older kids. I thinks for those with small children the Bonaire Hotel, which we went to have a look at when we were there is amazing.
The only thing that would have improved the hotel for us is if there had been direct access onto the sea front instead of having to walk round the back of the hotel all the time but that's an extremely minor issue.
Would we return to this hotel .........definitely!

Room Tip: High floor rooms are best. Although you can upgrade to select rooms on the first floor for more spac...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank holidayaholic10
Reviewed September 7, 2013

cannot fault the hotel. the food was good and the room was very clean with a sea view. it was the extras that the hotel charged that you have to watch out for. we had a first floor room with a awning for shade over the patio door when we went to reception to ask for it to be put down for shade on the patio we were told it would cost 2 euro a day plus 5 euro deposit for the handle to wind it up and down.pool towels are 15 euros deposit for a week each. to get the remote for the television was 20 euro deposit. i know you get the deposit back at the end of the holiday but if you are there as a family on a budget it is a lot to pay out at the start.also there are no kettles in the room and you cannot hire them in the hotel. had a good week entertainment in calla bona was great hotel atolon had great acts on. shame the sun didn't shine for the whole week

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
#14 of 19 in Cala Bona
Hotel Sur
Hotel Sur
#10 of 19 in Cala Bona

Been to Protur Alicia Hotel? Share your experiences!