“Pros and Cons!”

Vell Mari Hotel & Resort
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 10 nights 17-27 August, 2 Adults, 2 kids aged 7 and 10. Had a good holiday and there are many good things about this hotel. Best of all is the entertainment. Our kids used both the Thomas Cook and the Hotel run clubs, and both were excellent. A special mention to Richie (Spikey) who was wonderful with our daughter (blondie), but all of the entertainment staff went out of their way to speak to the kids and always try to involve them. Our daughter also joined in the parties organised by Thomas Cook (chocolate party etc) and all were good value for money - you had to pay extra, around 5 euros, for each. The hotel run club also arranged pony riding for a small fee which again was great value for money. In addition there were activities during the day for adults such as shooting and archery. Bingo in 6 different languages is also good for a laugh!
Other staff around the hotel were also particularly friendly - the maids were lovely, and often left little surprises of sweets etc in the room for the kids.
The hotel complex itself was quite small and there was only one bar for both day and evening (an outside beach hut style bar that unfortunately was very hot and plagued with wasps.) There was an inside bar near the restaurant but it was never opened during our stay. The pool area was also quite small considering the number of guests, but on the upside the fact that the complex was quite small meant that the kids could have some freedom to go to the park/bar/toilet etc themselves and you knew they were only close by. The park was nice and shaded, although some lighting in the evening would have been good, as the park was directly behind the stage so kids wanted to go there in the evening but it didn't feel safe to let them go on their own as it was pitch black!
The gardens and buildings were kept beautiful and clean. Rooms were a little dated but kept beautifully clean non the less.
On the negative side......our children were some of the many that became ill on holiday. Don't get me wrong - they have had ear infections on holiday before, so I know this does happen. However, there didn't seem to be one family there that didn't have a child in the room ill. Questions were asked about the cleanliness of the pool and indeed we didn't see anybody cleaning whilst we were there. On one occasion a child had an 'accident' in the pool, but rather than the whole pool be closed just a small section was cordened off for 20 minutes and then reopened. On previous replies from the hotel they state that the cleaning process is done 6.30 - 7.30 but we were at the pool on a few different days at that time (calling for doctor etc!) and didn't see anybody doing anything to the water.
My other gripe was the air conditioning. The room air conditioning was poor, but what was really disappointing was the fact that the communal areas, in particular the restaurant, were really uncomfortable and hot.
The food was ok - we always found something to eat and the staff in the restaurant worked hard, and were very nice. There were a few flies around, so we always dug to the bottom of the trays to make sure nothing had landed on it.
The other thing to note - Ants! we didn't have any in our room until I mistakenly left a glass with a little bit of drink in it at the side of the bed. Woke up the next morning to find a scene from a horror movie - millions of ants crawling all around the bed, on the bed clothes and on me. I reported to reception who weren't surprised - apparantly everybody knows not to leave a drink at the side of the bed. I didn't! The hotel were exceptionally quick and efficient in getting rid of them though - no complaints there and we didn't see any more after that.
Overall this was not a bad holiday and please don't be put off by the very negative reports, but do beware of the pool.

Room Tip: We were in block 3 which was at the back of the complex and had an awful view overlooking a back str...
10  Thank Clarey626
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Vell Mari Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for the comments you made about your recent visit. They help us to understand how our guests experience their stay with us. It is always our goal to achieve customer satisfaction and therefore our guest´s reviews are of prime importance. We continuously strive to deliver high standards and to ensure that everybody leaves with beautiful vacation memories.

First of all, we want to thank you for your advice regarding the swimming pool. As you well mention we have a number of established protocols and procedures to comply in a provable way with all healthy and safety norms. Nevertheless and thanks to your commentary an exhausted follow up will be done on the matter. And in case of detecting any irregularity we will take appropriate measures straight away. It is extremely important to us that our guests see they can rely on us and to be there to clarify their doubts and answer their questions; therefore we are grateful you expressed your worries. We also took good note of your proposal to put some lights in the park behind the stage and we will study the viability to do so.

To continue, we apologize that you felt uncomfortable in our restaurant. Many of our guests love to lunch or dine in open air and as we have a fabulous big terrace available to do so, we try to smooth the progress of passing from the buffet area to the terrace so that no queues are formed and no uncomfortable situations are created. As you have seen, the restaurant is a little bit like a veranda, with big glass walls that stay open to facilitate the passage and therefore the installation of air conditioning in this area wouldn´t be in accordance with our philosophy which includes the preservation and respect for the environment while maintaining a proper environmental management system committed to continuous improvement and preventing wastage of energy as a challenge for all Iberostar workers.

Further, we are really pleased to hear what a wonderful time your daughter had under the dedication and care of our professional entertaining team. In Iberostar we believe that the real holiday feeling goes hand in hand with good fun as also lovely animation and activities. It is the best reward for our daily labors to hear that our guests, especially the little ones, take some unforgettable memories back home. We will certainly congratulate Richie and the rest of the team.

On the other hand, we would like to thank you for your kind words towards our housekeeping services, in Iberostar Vell Mari we always strive to meet and even surpass all expectations related to hygiene and cleanliness, it is very satisfactory to see that in this area we have been successful and this motivates us to perform even better.

In our judgment, the human forces in Iberostar are one of the most important pillars to build a hotel that offers well being, comfort and splendid holiday conditions. Therefore we are delighted you enjoyed this part so much!

In name of all of the staff we thank you again for your visit, we were all delighted to have you among us, and we would be honored if in the not too distant future we have the pleasure to welcome you back in our Iberostar Vell Mari.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the hotel the first 2 weeks in July and we had a great family holiday and can not praise the staff enough. We arrived in the middle of night and were allowed into the restaurant for some food and cold drinks. Our room was for a family of 5 and we found it extremely clean and spacious and no problems with ants at all. Our children used both kids clubs and loved both of them. We found all staff to be very friendly and helpful from reception staff, cleaning staff, bar staff and animation team. A special mention for the italian chef who always made his own pasta dish along with whatever he had to cook on the grill. There is a great variety of food and the quality is very good.
I do agree that the pool area is very busy. The manager informed us that he is hoping for either an adults only pool or a kids pool for next year which would relieve this problem. The garden areas are lovely and very looked after.
It is about a 15 minute walk into the centre of Can picafort (there is a nice play park on the way) and the beach at Son Balou is lovely. I would recommend this hotel to families looking for a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lolw
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We are just back from an all inclusive week in Vell Mari.

As some of the other posters have mentioned it is quite a walk from the town/beach but I was aware of this before we arrived and we had a rental car so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Overall the facilities around the hotel were good but the rooms certainly did not feel like a 4 star hotel.
The entertainment staff were excellent, they seemed to work long days but always had time for a smile or a chat. The housekeeping staff second to none, again always had a smile and went the extra mile in cleaning the rooms.
We stayed in block 2 level 2 and it was quite a good location, no noise and not too far from the pool.

We didn’t use the mini club as our Daughter was too young but I spoke to other families who did and they couldn’t say enough good things about them. They even came round in the evening time while the entertainment was on and played with the children while the parents relaxed and all the children seemed to love them which says a lot. My Daughter loved the mini disco and wherever we were that day we had to rush back to it.

The pool was great for kids as it sloped in gently and we were never worried. There didn’t seem to be too much of an issue with the sunbeds although the season is probably getting quieter now.

The hotel was occupied by mainly German guests, I would say approx 70% and it was obvious. They did seem to cater for the German guest first in a lot of areas, the TV channels, the food in the restaurant, the announcement were in German first, the information leaflets in our room were all in German, there seemed to be quite a lot of German staff around. I guess if that is their market then that’s what they need to do but I think for my next trip I would prefer somewhere with a more even mix of guests.

As other have said the food was a little repetitive. There was a large selection each day so you always had something to chose from but the same dishes did keep appearing. We stayed there last week and there did still seem to be an issue with the refrigeration, the milk for the cereal was lukewarm as someone mentioned below. Also all three of us did get a dodgy tummy one day and we spoke to another family that night who had the same and we think it may have been the ice cream as it wasn't very cold on that day (but can't say for sure).
The restaurant staff were all lovely, although the manager did seem a little grumpy at times.

A couple of areas where they need some serious improvements is number one: Information! You get zero information when you arrive. We have a 2 and a half year old and we only found out on our 4th day by chance that there was a playground at the back of the hotel. There is a serious lack of information available at the hotel and the reception staff are so unapproachable that you only go there for absolute necessities. The only source of information we found was the Entertainment staff, they were excellent and came round to everyone's table at night time for a chat and we quizzed them every night on place to visit and hotel facilities, etc.

Another area that I think they need some serious improvement on is Reception. The only word for some of the reception staff was 'Rude'. One girl in particular who was German I think (young blond girl) never had a smile or a nice word to say to anyone, we found her extremely unhelpful at every opportunity.
On one particular occasion we decided to take a trip to Marineland (one of the major attractions on the island), we didn't know where on the island it was so I said I would check with Thomas Cook rep while my husband and daughter went to the car. The Thomas cook lady was obviously German and she was chatting away to a group of German guests, I stood there for about 15 minutes waiting my turn and she completely ignored me, didn’t say 'hello, I will be with you soon', nothing!! After I got fed up doing my invisible woman impression I said I would give Reception a go (I should have known better!). I asked if they could tell me what area Marineland was in?, I didn’t want door to door directions, just what town it was in, I could make my own way from there. She first responded by asking me to go see the Thomas Cook rep who I had just spent 15 minutes being ignored by, when I refused, she then rummaged in the drawer for a leaflet which she didn’t find and then asked me if I could come back between 12-1 o'clock, this was at 10am!!!!!!! I was speechless. I asked somebody on the street in the end, which pretty much sums up Vell Mari.

Overall I think it is a nice hotel which is let down buy some of it staff and also the bedrooms.

Room Tip: Block 2, not too far from the pool/restaurant but quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank sinead p
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Vell Mari Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear Madame,

We thank you for having taken the time and effort to write your opinion on your recent stay in Tripadvisor. Your review helps us to know how we can still improve the experience of our guests and to us that is of prime importance.

To continue we would like to apologize for not having met your expectations of service at our reception. We passed your comments to the head of and we are revising the procedures to guarantee an excellent service from each and every staff member. We lay high value on our employees being guest orientated, as we understand that this is a determined factor to achieve maximum client satisfaction and therefore all staff members are chosen according to a specific profile and additionally they are given appropriate training to be able to attend all our guests in an excellent way. This is why we can confirm that they aim to provide the personalized service Iberostar is famous for, nevertheless we are sorry that on this occasion their performance was not up to your expectations.

We also feel sad that the bedrooms disappointed you; they are built to preserve the comfort, independence and privacy of the guests staying in them. The rooms are spacious and bright, elegantly decorated to create a welcoming atmosphere. They have a living room, which serves in turn as a dining room with two sofa beds, kitchenette and spacious separate bedroom. In addition, they are equipped with telephone, safe (fee applicable), satellite TV, cooling and heating, bathroom with shower, toilet and hairdryer.

Further we took good note of your comment related to the lack of information and we are doing our best to adapt the welcome letter we overhand our guests upon arrival. We will certainly congratulate our entertainment staff for breaking through the barrier you felt in order to be informed about the facilities in our hotel.

Also we would like to thank you for mentioning the issue with the refrigeration in the buffet. Our technical services have checked the installation to ensure that all products are presented in an optimal way.

On the other hand, we feel satisfied that you liked the overall facilities around the hotel and the good and quiet location of your room, not too far from the pool where we have plenty of sun beds so that parents can relax whilst our smallest guests play in very safe conditions. We also appreciate letting us know that your little daughter had such a great time under the wings of our animators. It is fantastic to read how much she enjoyed the minidisco we prepare with a lot of dedication.

When we passed your compliments to our housekeeping staff and informed them that you find them second to none as they were always going an extra mile with a smile, they celebrated this and it motivated them to keep encountering the demanding quality standards we aim to fulfill.

Last but not least, we want to thank you once more for sharing your opinion that will certainly help us to improve some of our services and also for letting us know that you enjoyed your week holiday with us. We would be absolutely delighted to accommodate you again on your next visit to Mallorca.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 19, 2012

On arrival at the hotel we were told that there were no rooms available and we would have to spend the night in another hotel. The receptionist said this was a common occurence as the hotel was overbooked. We found out that this happened to several people and one family even spent the first 3 nights of their holiday in another hotel. Not good to say we booked 3 months in advance.
When we did get to check in the next day we were given a room with a pool view in block one which was spot on although there was no kettle. The food here although samey after 2 weeks was excellent and had a good choice but we felt like we were eating for the sake of it as we were all inclusive and it was too expensive not to have the meals and eat out. Very hot in the restaurant as there was no air con and there was always a queue for outside tables. All inclusive drinks were not what they were cracked up to be - cheap cocktails out of the machine behind the bar, there was no milk for the machine tea and coffee. Kids icecreams were ok but you had to pay for the better value ones.
All the staff worked really hard, the maids, the bar staff, the restaurant staff, the hotel kids club/entertainers - they were all great.
Needs a small shop nearby as the closest supermarket was a 15 minute walk along a very busy dual carriageway with a narrow pavement.
Hotel location - it was a 20 minute walk to the beach, a bit longer coming back in the heat and 25 minutes to the Marina and bars etc.
Advisable to pay for a private taxi transfer from the airport (takes about 40 mins) as if you get the transfer bus (2 hour journey) you will end up being one of the last drop offs and the hotel is a long way from the airport.
A good holiday but the place needs updating as it is looking a little tired.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the pool or garden if possible get a private taxi transfer to and from the air...
5  Thank Bex247

Dear guest,

As to us the vision of our clients is the clue to complete guest-satisfaction, we are very grateful for the time and effort you spent writing this review. We are fully aware that this is the best way to achieve superiority and excellence in our daily services.

Overbooking is a highly exceptional situation for Iberostar. We work hard to prevent this uncomfortable situation and, in case it succeeds we do our utmost to be proactive and prepare the best possible solution. When exceptionally we reach a sales stoppage, we immediately send an advice to all of the cooperating tour operators to carry out a sales stop. However, at that moment sometimes there exist already some reservations made simultaneously just before the sales stop. In order to avoid leaving any client without his desired holiday, we do our utmost to plan and organize that everybody becomes his vacation. On rare occasions, we have no other choice than to relocate the excess of already booked rooms for the shortest possible time in a different Iberostar hotel in the same area and with similar characteristics. Due to the discomfort we know this causes we always try to make up with our guests, helping them the best we can, in order to minimize the impact of the inconvenience. Nevertheless we are sorry that in this case we couldn´t avoid sending you to another hotel the first night.

Further we would like to point out that despite the fact that our hotel was built a few years ago, we do our utmost to take good care of it, maintaining all of the installations the best we can. Even so we took good note of your commentary and we commit to revise if we can renovate some of the areas.

Regarding the drinks of the all inclusive service we feel sad they did not meet your expectations and as this is a theme organized on a global level, we passed your comments to the head office to take them in consideration. On the other hand, we are grateful that you highlighted how much you liked the culinary efforts of our chefs. In Iberostar we lay much worth on the gastronomic experience of our guests. We aim to increase their enjoyment by presenting high quality local and international dishes and we are glad that you find them delicious.

It is also very enjoyable to read you felt comfortable in the room we allocated you in. It is our goal to provide comfortable and spotless accommodation in unbeatable locations and we thank you for letting us know you were satisfied with yours.

Most of all, we are delighted about your remarks regarding our staff. All of them do their utmost to make the stay of our guests as enjoyable as possible. They are the base to offer the close and personalized service Iberostar is famous for and we will certainly congratulate them for contributing to what turned out to be a good holiday for you.

It strengthens our determination to understand from your comments that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we will take in consideration all your constructive comments to learn how we can still improve some of our services. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in a not too distant future and surprise you positively by achieving an even higher level of satisfaction.

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

If you are looking for a family holiday destination away from the mayhem of Palma and the other south coast locations, I can fully recommend this hotel / apartment complex. We stayed here for 2 weeks at the beginning of August. From the moment we arrived, to the day we left, the service was excellent! Friendly staff and always willing to help.

Accommodation: This is one of the only areas I would say that needs some tlc. Don't get me wrong, the apartments are great and adequate space, however, they are starting to look a little tired and can do with a touch up here and there. The furnishings are a bit dated as well. Having said that, for the time you are actually spending in your room, very nice. Don't be put off if you are worried about getting a room facing away from the centre of the complex, this is actually quite peaceful and no-one will walk passed your balcony.

Food & Beverage: Although a little like a canteen in the restaurant, once seated outside, no complaints. The food is excellent! A great variety for all ages and yet again, friendly staff. Get to know the chef's on the hot plate, they do look after you and do a great job!! Overall, good selection, varied choice, fresh and tasty.

Swimming Pool / Activities: As you expect at places like this, you do have to get up early in the morning to mark your territory by the pool. Even at 07.00 in the morning, there were people all around the pool. If there is one recommendation I would say to the General Manager, get another pool or extend this one. You do not have enough space for the capacity of bedrooms!! However, great, clean pool and lots of other activities going on around.

Activity Teams: There are two teams there, the Iberostar team, who do a great job, very friendly, speak excellent English and are fantastic with the Children. You then have the Thomas Cook Team. What can I say, I have never met such a great bunch of people! You have Danielle, the swimming instructor. She took our son under her wing and got those armbands in the bin after 3 lessons. Her style of training was superb and not just once the course was over, she then continually went out of her way to say hi to all the children and parents. Then you have Rupert, the Soccer coach. I have never seen anyone able to control 30 people on a football pitch playing family football in my life but well done you!! Again, great with the kids and remembers everyone's name. Fully commendable. Finally, the third of a great trio; Laura. Her responsibility is to keep the kids and parents busy with various activities throughout the day. What a great job!! Nothing is too much for Laura. My son has fallen in love with tennis, dragged me everywhere Laura went! Thanks to Thomas Cook for making our holiday even better by having these guys on sight!

So there you go, is this a place to consider? Definitely. Would we return? Yes, although I may need to consider a better alarm clock to get me up early enough to claim a sun bed!!!!

8  Thank thetraveller36
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at the Vell Mari in June this year and had a truly wonderful time. We booked with Thomas Cook and had no problems with the flights or transfer (the transfer was quicker than expected - based on some people's negative reviews). Once at the hotel, the check in was quick and our room was ready when we arrived. We were in a block furthest away from the pool which suited us well although the resort is not massive anyway.

The rooms are spacious with double bed in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the lounge. The entire resort was clean and looked after well.

Food: Plenty of choice and not just your traditional english food. We we very pleased with the food

Drink: Lots of choice and you sometimes even got branded drinks on the all inclusive if they ran out of the local stuff!!

Entertainment: Thomas Cook had their own kids team stationed at the resort and out little girl absolutely loved the kids club. I must say though, there was also a hotel team running sports and activities etc. They were mainly dutch and italian and really added to the whole cosmopolitan feel. Everyone mixed with each other and the evening entertainment wasn't too bad either. I cannot reiterate how friendly and welcoming everyone was. The hotel has a great all embracing atmosphere.

C'an Picafort is the other end of the Island to the clubbing zones like Magaluf although it is pretty lively as well. Alcudia is the next resort down the road and there were regular buses. We hired a car (as we always do) so were able to travel all over the island visiting numerous places.

The only thing that stops me giving 5 stars is the rooms could have been slightly bigger and the resort although very clean and tidy, could do with a little updating in places.

Highly, highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank dwade1901
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed for 10 nights at the end of August with our two children aged 6 and 8. This is our second visit to this hotel and our experience this time was not as good as the first. All staff work incredibly hard with the possible exception of the lifeguard who didn't seem to do much apart from use his mobile phone and not a patch on the lady lifeguard from last year. Food was good but again didn't seem to be as good as last year and they really need to invest in some proper refrigeration - unless you got the food as soon as it appeared out of the kitchen then salads and other cold items were warm. Luke warm milk on cereal isn't nice. Evening entertainment was ok for very young children but less so for older children and adults. They seem to have had a problem with the pool this year as both our children suffered ear infections and stomach upsets which are only now getting better even though we have been home for nearly two weeks. We had a good holiday (with some exceptions) but will not be returning to the Vell Mari.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Vell Mari Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear family,

We would like to thank you for having so carefully explained your positive and negative feelings about your stay. Your opinion is highly valuable and helps us improve our services. Especially a repeating guest´s review is very useful because it helps us evaluate our progress in the process to excellence in our daily labors.

We are very sorry to hear that your children became ill and we hope that they are completely recovered by now. Nevertheless, it is our pleasure to confirm that our protocols include archiving the results of the daily measuring to comply with health and safety standards. We revised all the reports of the last two months in order to guarantee that the pool is in perfect conditions and we could not find any irregularities. The technician responsible for the correct maintenance of the pool does two measurements of levels and composition of the water and every morning he takes care of the cleaning of the filters that absorb any impurities driven into them by the motorized system that impulses leaves, dust and other dirt that might have fallen inside the pool to the surface and into the depurator. In addition every 2 or 3 days a special aspirator is used to clean the bottoms which is done before 9am in order not to disturb our guests once the pool is opened. Hopefully our explanation could clear your doubts and discard our pool as origin of your children’s illness.

Further we feel sad that you experienced a drop in the quality of our culinary offer and we passed your remarks to the gastronomic department in order to assure the correct accomplishment of the demanding Iberostar standards that are established to guarantee the delight of all palates during your stay with us. We are especially grateful for your advice on the lack of refrigeration in the buffet because this problem could be remedied straight away and now all our guests will be able to enjoy the cold dishes our chefs prepare with a lot of dedication.

Regarding your disappointment on the evening entertainment we thoroughly discussed the issue and although our animation program that offers every week five shows brought by our own animators and two professional shows performed by an extern company is normally very well received, we will do our utmost to adapt some parts in order to achieve mayor satisfaction among teenagers and adults.

Finally we want to thank you for highlighting the effort of our staff. In our opinion, the human forces in Iberostar are one of the most important pillars to build a hotel that offers well being, comfort and splendid holiday conditions. Therefore we are delighted you enjoyed this part so much! We will congratulate our employees for contributing to your enjoyment whilst being among us.

We will take in consideration all of your comments and we will try our very best to surprise you positively if you decide to honor us with a new visit.

Sunny regards,

#17 of 39 in Ca'n Picafort
Blau Punta Reina Resort
Blau Punta Reina Resort
#6 of 11 in Porto Cristo

Been to Vell Mari Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!