Stayed at this hotel for 10 nights 17-27 August, 2 Adults, 2 kids aged 7 and 10. Had a good holiday and there are many good things about this hotel. Best of all is the entertainment. Our kids used both the Thomas Cook and the Hotel run clubs, and both were excellent. A special mention to Richie (Spikey) who was wonderful with our daughter (blondie), but all of the entertainment staff went out of their way to speak to the kids and always try to involve them. Our daughter also joined in the parties organised by Thomas Cook (chocolate party etc) and all were good value for money - you had to pay extra, around 5 euros, for each. The hotel run club also arranged pony riding for a small fee which again was great value for money. In addition there were activities during the day for adults such as shooting and archery. Bingo in 6 different languages is also good for a laugh!
Other staff around the hotel were also particularly friendly - the maids were lovely, and often left little surprises of sweets etc in the room for the kids.
The hotel complex itself was quite small and there was only one bar for both day and evening (an outside beach hut style bar that unfortunately was very hot and plagued with wasps.) There was an inside bar near the restaurant but it was never opened during our stay. The pool area was also quite small considering the number of guests, but on the upside the fact that the complex was quite small meant that the kids could have some freedom to go to the park/bar/toilet etc themselves and you knew they were only close by. The park was nice and shaded, although some lighting in the evening would have been good, as the park was directly behind the stage so kids wanted to go there in the evening but it didn't feel safe to let them go on their own as it was pitch black!
The gardens and buildings were kept beautiful and clean. Rooms were a little dated but kept beautifully clean non the less.
On the negative side......our children were some of the many that became ill on holiday. Don't get me wrong - they have had ear infections on holiday before, so I know this does happen. However, there didn't seem to be one family there that didn't have a child in the room ill. Questions were asked about the cleanliness of the pool and indeed we didn't see anybody cleaning whilst we were there. On one occasion a child had an 'accident' in the pool, but rather than the whole pool be closed just a small section was cordened off for 20 minutes and then reopened. On previous replies from the hotel they state that the cleaning process is done 6.30 - 7.30 but we were at the pool on a few different days at that time (calling for doctor etc!) and didn't see anybody doing anything to the water.
My other gripe was the air conditioning. The room air conditioning was poor, but what was really disappointing was the fact that the communal areas, in particular the restaurant, were really uncomfortable and hot.
The food was ok - we always found something to eat and the staff in the restaurant worked hard, and were very nice. There were a few flies around, so we always dug to the bottom of the trays to make sure nothing had landed on it.
The other thing to note - Ants! we didn't have any in our room until I mistakenly left a glass with a little bit of drink in it at the side of the bed. Woke up the next morning to find a scene from a horror movie - millions of ants crawling all around the bed, on the bed clothes and on me. I reported to reception who weren't surprised - apparantly everybody knows not to leave a drink at the side of the bed. I didn't! The hotel were exceptionally quick and efficient in getting rid of them though - no complaints there and we didn't see any more after that.
Overall this was not a bad holiday and please don't be put off by the very negative reports, but do beware of the pool.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vell Mari Hotel&Resort is located in Ca'n Picafort in the north of Majorca, just 700 meters from the beach of San Baulo with protected white sand of 17 km in length and has an excellent Mediterranean weather almost all year. The Hotel offers its guests a free shuttle to the beach. Over 30,000 m2 of facilities make Vell Mari spectacular Resort for family travel or sports enthusiasts. This Hotel is recommended for fans of Cycling and Golf. Vell Mari puts at the disposal of its clients agreements with the major Golf Courses and clubs of cycling. In addition account with 4 paddle courts, 1 tennis court, 1 minifootball field, mini gym, spa and massage area. This resort consists of 211 apartments of different categories with beautiful views of the lake 2 swimming pools surrounded by full nature. Spacious apartments in small buildings of 3 floors with facilities for handicapped people and private parking for their customers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Vell Mari Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Vell Mari Hotel Ca`n Picafort
- Iberostar Sa Coma
- Iberostar Hotel Vell Mari
- Vell Mari Hotel & Resort Ca'n Picafort, Majorca