“Great Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Wokingham, UK
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We've been back from the Son Baulo for around a week now, so I'll stick to the points I can recall easily.

Location - as covered by many other reviewers, the location can't be faulted. At the end of a quiet promenade, overlooking a beach and with the main resort centre a scenic 20 minute walk - longer if you stop at a bar or two on the way. Right across from the hotel are shops and small supermarkets.

Clientele - mainly British with a smattering of Italian. Incidentally, I didn't find any problem with the Italian folk whatsoever. I wonder what they made of the Brits eh.

Rooms - basic but clean. They reminded me of a ski lodge room due to the 'design' of the wardrobes so cases could be thrown on top. The bathroom was big enough and the maid calls in every day except Wednesday. I think it's a little on the harsh side to have to pay 2.60 Euros per day if you want a fridge, but that's their policy. Same goes if you want an in-room safe. Please do be very aware that the doors to the balcony would not pass British safety standards as the lower areas are single panes and not toughened safety glass. We learned the hard way when our two year old fell off the bed and into the window, which promptly smashed. If it wasn't for the fact that their was a heavy blackout curtain between her and the window, she could well have gone through it. Luckily, she was unscathed. Please do bear this warning in mind. The air conditioning is centrally controlled, so you can choose to have it on or off only. When on, the hotel only run it between 1pm and around 4am. We didn't find this a problem and actually found the A/C unit quieter than we expected.

Pool - a little on the small side but OK. We generally had no issues getting sunbeds. It was a little disappointing that the pool had to be closed for several hours on two different days due to small children having nappy accidents. I guess some parents didn't observe the signs asking that kids in nappies should not go in the main pool.

Beach - we only went on it once. It was quite windy and the sunbeds were expensive to hire - 14 Euros for two with parasol per day. If you walk beyond the beach towards the nature reserve, there are more beaches which, when I walked there, had absolutely nobody there. So if you like your solitude........

Food - considering the food was buffet style, I think the quality was very good. The dining room did get hot on occasions and, again, I felt it was a little harsh not to provide anything to drink (even water) meaning you had to buy a drink from the waiters - OK for those who fancied wine etc but tough on those who would have just liked some water. At breakfast, there were machines providing juices, water and coffee but these were covered over during the evening. In addition to the buffet itself, there was a fried egg/omlette station during breakfast, which was used as a griddle at night for meat dishes. Style was very British, although there were also delicious paellas some evenings. The pool bar served basic dishes and with kids meals around 2.70 Euros, it seemed good value.

Entertainment - kids disco for half an hour every night, followed by bingo (again half an hour), then a different act each night. Fairly amateurish in all honesty, but we weren't expecting West End show quality anyway.

Drinks Prices - I can't recall what they charged for water, but massive compared to the local supermarkets where 1 Euro buys 6 litres. Then again, this is bar/waiter experience compared to DIY. Beer was 2.90 Euros a pint. Locally, you could go to bars selling pints for 1.50 Euros (non-beach facing) and would pay 2.20 to 2.50 Euros for a sea view bar. Wine at the hotel was, I believe, 1.70 Euros per glass (very small glass at that!). I believe cocktails were more like 4.50 Euros.

Reception - very helpful. We were with Thomsons and found the reps were often around and were informative. When they weren't the receptionists at the hotel itself were very helpful.

Kids' Club - Thomson run a very good kids' club. Our eldest went every day. The sessions are split into age groups so each group gets two hours per day, except Thursdays which is a day off. There are some evening sessions too, which incur a charge of between 5 and 8 Euros.

We had a great week at the Son Baulo and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it despite the incident with the glass doors to the balcony.

Room Tip: Most rooms have sea or pool view. I think you'd be unlucky to get one looking at the road.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank SteveHWokingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 1 week in August following a 1 week cruise around the Med. The best thing about this hotel is it's location. It's right on a sandy beach at the end of the bay next to a nature reserve but only a short walk along a lovely promenade to the centre of Ca'n Picafort. On some days the sea was calm & great for snorkelling & on other days there were large waves. We hired a pedalo with a slide which was great fun! There were a few shops & bars around the hotel & lots more in Ca'n Picafort.
Overall the hotel is fairly simple but extremely clean. The pool area is small but we managed to get sunbeds whenever we wanted them. It would have been nice if this had been a non smoking area though. The pool bar does snacks which were well priced. The food for breakfast & dinner is buffet style & was of a good quality, with lots of variety & we always found plenty to eat. Drinks were a little pricey though especially the small bottles of water. We only saw 2 shows in the hotel & these were both quite good.
We emailed the hotel to request 2 rooms next to each other as we were travelling with our 2 teenage daughters, which we got. We didn't pay extra for a sea or pool view so our rooms were on the 4th floor overlooking the road. Unfortunately the patio doors had big gaps around them so it was noisy at times. The rooms were large & extremely clean but quite dated & the beds weren't very comfortable. I think other rooms were better than ours.
We wanted a relaxing week at a hotel in a good location with nice food & we got this at the Son Baulo.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea or pool view as alternative is view of road.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rees_4
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Excellent hotel, great location and great value. Located on the small beach about 2km from the centre of Ca'n Picafort in the suberb of Son Baulo. In summary I would say 3 star price, 4 star facilities and 5 star location

Room Tip: Pick a sea view everytime and ask for a fan as air-con will only work from 1pm-4am
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Andrew B
Leicester, England.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was my fourth trip to the Son Baulo as my daughter (aged 10) and I just love it for its friendliness; its location and the food. This year, instead of booking direct, I went with Thompsons. I booked my usual superior double room with a SV. When we arrived I was given the key to 225. On entering, it smelt musty and unclean. It was dusty, the bedding was tatty and the SV...if I strained over the balcony I could just about see it. I rang reception and expressed my disappointment. Within 24 hours, I was moved to the top floor (room 409), a non smoking light and airy room with an excellent sea view and decent bedding. The reception staff as always were wonderful and would help with any queries you may have. The waiters work extremely hard but always manage a smile and Gill, the entertainments manager was as usual, her vivacious welcoming self. Now the BUT..... No: 1. the Thompsons reps we found were sullen, hardly ever there, and very rarely joined in anything. Unlike the the Italian ALBA reps who where there constantly chatting to guests and joining with fun activities. No.2. The hotel itself really needs refurbishment. It is now quite tatty in places and looking its age. The bathrooms need re-doing; the curtains, bedding and towels need replacing and the general standard of decor is old fashioned and poor. No. 3. The air conditioning in the general areas of the hotel needs upgrading, especially in the dining area. Unless you are lucky to sit at a table near to one of the A/C units, you sweat like a pig. It was in the middle to high 30's when we were there and we had to cut shourt our meal and miss the evenings entertainment because the heat was unbearable.
We did have the best time though and I'm sure we will book again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 3rd or 4th floors and upgrade to a superior with a sea view. Its well worth...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Donna B
Arbroath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We recently stayed here and it was brilliant value for money. Right beside the beach you can just roll out of bed and onto the beach or down to the pool with beach side views. We went as a couple, it's very much a family orientated hotel, very friendly staff, loads of good food choices and evening entertainment at night that's both kid friendly and something for the adults. If you want to be a bit out if the way of the more touristy resorts it's a great location , with access to the more touristy stuff if u fancy it. Lots to do via the on site holiday reps. The pirates show is a must see with meals and unlimited sangria included. For more quieter days can go for a lovely stroll along the promenade or take a day trip thought the hotel. Would definitely go back and would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank Deremaux
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

The location of this hotel is perfect in my opinion. The beautiful white sandy bay with sparkling azure sea was stunning. The sea breeze ensured that the heat remained comfortable and we were always able to get subeds and parasol (10 Euros a day but well worth it).
The hotel itself is slightly dated in decor but it was spotless which for me is the number one criteria for anywhere I stay. Rooms were cleaned to a very high standard. The food was good although not outstanding but there was enough choice and we always found something we liked. I can't comment on the entertainment or kids club because we didn't use these facilities. We did walk into the resort centre but it made us feel even more grateful for the location of the hotel as being on the edge of the resort it is much quieter and seemed more laid back. There are some lovely bars and restaurants very close to the hotel so we had everything we needed for a week's stay. We did the Come Fly With Me show which is an hour's coach ride away too. This is a Frank Sinatra Tribute Show which we thoroughly enjoyed. I wouldnt recommend this for kids but would recommend the Pirates show is well worth a visit although a bit pricey for a family. I have read a few reviews which mentioned noisy Italians but I must say we did not encounter any bother at all. It seemed to me that all guests when we were there (24th Jul to 31st Jul) were very friendly and respectful to each other no matter what nationality. Overall we had a lovely relaxing week and although this was a busy hotel they have maintained high standards and I would definitely recommend the Son Baulo to both families and couples who are happy to be in a family environment. A highlight for me was sipping Sangria at Bananas Bar right on the doorstep of the hotel which was literally on the beach with the waves gently lapping and under a starlit sky.....bliss. By the way I must say Thomson, as always in my experience, were absolutely outstanding in all aspects of our trip.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Chris B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We have been coming to the Hotel Son Baulo for many years, it is a fantastic family hotel and offers such great value for money.
I still find it hard to believe that it is only a 3 star hotel... The staff are remarkably pleasant and accomodating and really enhance your stay.
The rooms and hotel in general is impeccably clean and the interior is more than satisfactory.
The food in the dining room is not the best I have ever experienced, however without fail I could find something enjoyable to eat every single night.
The location of this hotel is perfect, only having to step over a little wall... You find yourself on the beautiful son baulo beach...
Only a 10 minute walk along the seafront and you are in can picafort town.
Also, the bus services are very regular and reliable.
All in all, you will be hard pushed to find another holiday quite like this and experience the same value for money!

• Stayed June 2012