“Relaxing Holiday”

Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Harrogate
“Relaxing Holiday”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have to admit, we were slightly worried having read various reviews on trip advisor before our stay that we would have t0o be up at the crack of dawn to secure a sunbed, that the rooms were falling apart and that the food would be awful.

In fact, we had a great time and probably one of the most relaxing holidays we've had for a while.

The grounds are immaculate and beautifully maintained. The size of the complex was great - large enough not to feel hemmed in but small enough that I could allow my 9 year old son a bit of freedom without worrying that he would disappear.

The rooms were a good size and although dated, better than I thought they would be. Our room seemed in generally good order so we may have been lucky in this respect. It was in block 4 at the back of the resort which suited us as it was quiet. It was uself having a separate bath and walk in shower and a separate basin area. We didn't use the kitchen but I think if you were self catering it would probably be a little on the small side. The beds were like concrete!!!

We tended to stay around the 'top' pool as it was a little quieter (although noweher is quiet in peak season August!). I am an early riser so am up and about by 7.30am on holiday anyway with my book. Never had an issue getting a spot for the sunbed and a brolly. Sunbeds were locked until 8.30am but I would grab a chair from the bar and a coffee from the restaurant. Quietest hour of the day by far!

Food in the restaurant was good and I had no complaints here. My only gripe was with the restaurant itself which when filled to capacity was far to hot and crowded. Eating was not a pleasant experience at peak times. The tables are simply far too close together. I also suspect that the staff (who work tirelessly) must run a book as to how much crockery will be broken by guests every mealtime. Not one meal passed without someone dropping a glass or a plate! It was always cleared up immediately. All drinks in the restuarant were self service, which makes for little waiting around but the wine was not great. I'd often get a glass of cava from the bar and take i into dinner with me. The Tex Mex was nice for a change and to sit outside with a proper bottle of wine although the food was only average here. We didn't try the Italian.

The First Choice and hotel staff work incredibly hard and are always pleasant. The evening entertainment is clearly aimed at the children, but they love it. And a happy child makes a happy parent! Kids Clubs were also fab and thw activities varied. Both my 4 year old daughter and 9 year old son went and thought the sessions and the staff were great.

My daughter also signed up for the Swim Academy and in the space of a week went from hating even her face being splashed and being a complete non-swimmer to diving in and swimming! Special thanks and praise to Billy from the Swim Academy team. He is fab and my daughter is his biggest fan! He is so patient with the children and varies the activities so that they never have chance to get bored.

We didn't think much to the resort of C'an Picafort (much prefer Pollensa and Purto Pollensa - there are regular buses to PP and one at 9am to Pollensa).

We would definitely recommend it as it currently stands although this won't be a Holiday Village next year. The big bonus for us was the kids entertainment and I'm not sure this will be as varied next year.

6 Thank EddyBull

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Harrogate
Reviewed August 29, 2012

2 Thank EddyBull
Reviewed August 25, 2012

stayed here from 5th til 11th August had a great holiday, food i thought was good, reps were always around if you need 1, cant comment on kids clubs as my 9 and 7 year old dont do them,
we had a garden room with 2 sunbeds and table and chairs, we were in block 5 room 5007 DONT BOTHER WASTING YOUR MONEY, no sun in the garden's, but you could pull them out on to the grass, also the consent noise from people above you, sunbed situation i didnt find that bad as we never wanted an umbrella we got there 8.15am every morning, and there still a few sunbeds left at 9am, but if you want to sit around the splash pool or have an umbrella get there early like 7am to claim your spot, entertainment crap, kids entertainment from 7pm til 10pm then there would be an act, we never stayed around to watch got so boring sitting there listening to the same thing, beach is a 5-10 min walk away lots of lovely shops on the way, 10 euros for 2 beds and a parasol which i thought was good, hotel was very clean army of cleaners from 6.30am every morning even the pool toilettes were kept clean, staff very friendly and helpful, would go back but will not upgrade to a garden room,

1 Thank Mariat1476
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

came back last week from a 11 night all inclusive holiday and what can i say ...best holiday i have ever taken my 2 kids on ( daughter is 9 and son is 6) , both really enjoyed it and didnt want to come home. my son did the football academy and my daughter did the stage academy and both were fantastic as were all the kids clubs...staff were friendly, helpful and very good . i had no problem getting sun beds and really enjoyed it...will be booking again for next year

2 Thank Becky B
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We recently returned from an 11 night stay at this hotel from 7th-18th August with a family group of 10. Our group consisted of 6 adults including 2 OAPS, one of whom uses a wheelchair and cannot walk far unaided, plus 4 children - an 8 year old boy, a 7 year old boy and two 5 year old girls. One of the main reasons we chose this particular holiday village is that we were advised by First Choice that it was the most suitable village for disabled guests. Indeed, there were plenty of ramps suitable for wheelchairs and adapted ground floor rooms available.

We arrived around lunch time and I was immediately struck by how busy the hotel was. My initial thought was "Haven with sun" as there were lots and lots of kids everywhere. This is not entirely meant as a criticism. We love our Haven breaks as they are so child friendly and if the kids are happy, then so are we! We liked this place for similar reasons, although I quickly realised that obviously this place is dramatically better than Haven not least because the accommodation is far superior to the Haven caravans and there is much, much more to do, obviously the sun helps too!!

The fact that the place was so busy did not turn out to be as much of an issue as I originally feared. This is mainly due to the fantastically efficient staff. Although there were often queues at the bars, they moved quickly and I don't recall ever having to wait more than 5 minutes for a drink. Similarly, the staff in the large buffet restaurant were very quick to clear tables and get guests seated, even our group of 10. I would also add that all the staff, from both First Choice and the hotel, were without exception friendly, polite and helpful at all times.

I won't go on too much about the sunbed "issue" as it has been well covered by other reviews. It's not actually that there's a lack of sunbeds, it's a shortage of spots with umbrellas to put them on compared to the number of guests. Basically, from 7am you can go down to the pool and attempt to place your towel(s) in your desired position. Any towels left before 7am will be removed. At 8.30am the beds are unchained and there is then a stampede to move them to the "reserved" spots - quite amusing to watch! We found that as long as we had placed our towels by 7.45am we got a decent spot. We felt a bit sad for doing this but it's a case of if you can't beat 'em join em and at least it got us up in the morning! I feel the hotel have come up with the best solution possible and I doubt it’s any different to a lot of places at this time of year.

I really can't criticise the food and I felt it was generally of a very high standard, especially when you consider what we paid. We went on an all inclusive basis, as did the vast majority of guests, and I think it was definitely the right choice, especially when I saw the prices in local restaurants! The main restaurant is buffet style for all 3 meals and I felt there was an excellent selection and good variety from day to day, with some theme nights e.g. Oriental, Italian. My usually fussy kids always managed to find something they liked. Importantly, even if you turned up to eat towards the end of the session, there was always plenty of food left, unlike some All Inclusives I've been to. There was also a pool side snack bar at lunch time serving the likes of burgers, chips, sandwiches, pizzas etc and the service was very quick despite the high numbers of people. If you wanted a break from buffet style and wanted to be served for a change, you could visit the Italian and the Tex Mex restaurants once a week which you have to pre-book at reception. The Italian is in a sectioned off corner of the main restaurant and was pretty good. The Tex Mex is the poolside snack bar by day. We were not so keen on the food in the Tex Mex (rather greasy) but it made a nice change to eat outside in the evening.

A few people have commented that the hotel seemed a bit dated but I didn't see this as an issue. Yes, it's clearly not brand new but it is spotlessly clean, attractively laid out (particularly the pool areas and gardens) and well maintained. The rooms are spacious, well equipped and have plenty of storage space and also have large balconies or terraces. They are arranged in several 3 storey high blocks and from what I could tell are all identical. I certainly couldn't describe them as luxurious but how much time do you actually plan on spending in your room when on this sort of holiday??

We all loved the swimming pools. There is a 1.5 metre pool, 2 interconnecting 1 metre pools where we spent most of our time, a tiny baby pool plus a splash pool with slides and water jets which is great for little ones. There is also a small indoor pool which wasn’t used much given the time of year. The pools were the perfect temperature, although the kids said the splash pool was a bit on the cold side.

Now for the entertainment. It is mainly geared towards the kids and I must say it was rather on the cheesy side (think party dances, silly game shows etc) but we mostly enjoyed it all the same although had secretly had enough by night 11 (my husband by about night 7!). However, the kids LOVED it. After a couple of days the Chocolatte song and I5Live (First Choice's anthem) will be firmly implanted on your brain. By day there were plenty of games going on around the poolside such as the daily quiz, water polo, party dances on the pool bridge etc. The afternoon is supposed to be “quiet time” at the pool meaning that they don’t have music playing and don’t have any organised games but it is hardly quiet given the numbers of people around! At night time, it’s all aimed at the kids until about 9.30 when the “adult” entertainment comes on. It usually starts with a game show or bingo followed by the cabaret which was usually the First Choice Team of Lee, Ted, Kerry & Sammy doing the likes of 80s/90s or Abba tributes which we actually found very enjoyable. All four work incredibly hard and can all sing and dance (some better than others) – the wonderfully camp Lee being by far the best (amazingly he’s only 18!!). Apparently, the compere had been sacked the week before we arrived and there was a temporary lady there called Dixie who was very good – we were told a replacement was due soon. They did have a couple of outside acts while were there including a magician and a musical comedy act who were so bad it was funny for all the wrong reasons!

Our kids used the kids club a few times – there are four 1.5 hour sessions per day. If you look on the What’s On board you’ll see what activities they are doing at each session per age group. Be warned, the popular sessions fill up very quickly so it’s recommended you turn up at the club at least 15 minutes in advance to be sure of getting in. The boys were keen to do canoeing so we turned up in good time only to discover we’d spent 20 minutes standing in the wrong queue so didn’t get in (as did some other children). You really do have to be on the ball at this place – snooze and you lose! They did manage to do archery. Aeroball and aerial adventure amongst other things though. Most of the kids club activities are free with only a few incurring a small extra charge such as the chocolate party. In addition, there is a Soccer School, Swim School and the Razzamattaz Stage Academy all of which you do have to pay for. The little girls did the stage academy which consisted of 3 x 2 hour sessions on consecutive days followed by a showcase on the stage on the final evening. It cost 42 euros each but I consider it money well spent as they really enjoyed it.

There are also various family sessions throughout the day, also advertised on the What’s On Board. My husband and son did raft building which they enjoyed. Most of these sessions don’t seem to have a limit on numbers as the parents stay, although we got caught out with the Water Walkerz as, despite arriving in good time, discovered they’d taken a list of names down in advance. We complained and they agreed to put on a separate session just for us and changed the wording on the noticeboard for future so it pays to complain!

At your welcome meeting the reps will try hard to sell you the usual trips. We did go to Aqualand water park which cost 150 euros for four of us. We weren’t too impressed as the park, although very good with loads of different slides, was absolutely packed with some queues in excess of 40 minutes!! You get a food voucher for a burger and chips meal but you can only redeem it at one outlet and we had to queue for 30 minutes in the heat – not nice!

We walked into C’an Picafort a couple of times and another time we hired bikes from reception (good fun!). It takes about 10 minutes on foot to the town which is very pleasant with the usual mix of restaurants and tourist shops with a further 5 minutes to the very nice sandy beach. The beach was busy but we got 2 sunbeds and umbrella for 10 euros without too much trouble despite arriving late morning. We also hired a big pedalo with water slide attached – recommended!

All in all we had an excellent holiday, the kids in particular had a ball and my son was in tears on the flight home. I appreciate it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea – if you don’t have kids or are looking for a quiet holiday then I’d give it a wide berth. However, I think it represents excellent value for money in terms of food, accommodation and entertainment. I see that the vast majority of people on this site have rated it good-excellent which speaks volumes. I can only think the minority who hated it were either very unlucky or had unrealistic expectations. After all, if you want 5 star luxury you need to pay 5 star prices!

We were told that from next year this won’t be a Holiday Village, it will be in the Premier Families brochure instead so I presume this means a lot of the entertainment will be toned down. They are building a brand new Holiday Village in Cala Millor. Therefore, a lot of my comments may be irrelevant next year. However, I get the impression that the entertainment and facilities at all the Holiday Villages is pretty similar wherever you go. We would definitely consider going to another Holiday Village in the future.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Emma D
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Returned today from Holiday Viva after spending an enjoyable week all inclusive . There was seven of us including four children aged 4 , 12 , 15 and 16 and i felt trepidation that the needs of all would be catered for . There was no need to worry as all four had a brilliant time , the elder two played football and waterpolo every day , the 12 yr old made friends and spent long periods in the large pools or playing table tennis etc and the youngest thoroughly enjoyed her time in the best ever children's pool or in the kids club which offered a range of fun activities . This subsequently allowed us adults to have a relax by the pool , the outdoor area is clean and spacious and the service behind the bars very good .
The adults/ children were also happy as the food was excellent offering a wide variety of dishes which were delicious and presented to a high standard . The accommodation itself was clean and tidy however the air conditioning had to be on for a while before you could feel the benefit and the beds were not the best ...The main drawback is the night time entertainment , the entertainments team are enthusiastic and friendly however the shows were at best pretty bad . This did not spoil the evening as there is a few bars where you can opt to have a drink both inside or outside and the hotel of night is vibrant . Overall we had a prefect week and we all wished we had booked ten days instead of seven ...

Room Tip: you can upgrade to a superior room which is adjacent to the pool for an extra 20 euros per night