“Very Satisfactory”

Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Cala Ratjada
Holyhead, United Kingdom
“Very Satisfactory”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay at this Hotel in October. The room was adequate with large wardrobe and space for clothing. The bathroom was fine, good power shower and well lit. All the staff were helpful and friendly, especially Francesca on the reception desk, who went out of her way to try and help us book excursions. The restaurant was very well run considering the large turn over of diners each evening. There was a great choice of meals, I'm sure every taste had been catered for! There was even an area at the back of the dining area where you could watch your omelettes or meat being cooked to your requirement. All the public areas were spotlessly clean as was the swimming pool. I was impressed to see they even employed a life guard who patrolled the pool area, a point all parents with young children would find reassuring.
Yes, it is a long transfer from the airport, but being positive, we had a "free" tour of the Island and the location of the hotel was well worth it. As pointed out by previous reviewers, the majority of visitors to this part of the Island are German, but like us they are on holiday and this did not affect the quality of our stay, besides which I managed to pick up a bit of their language as a bonus!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dotmag

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

This could be a really good hotel; the location is outstanding and almost all of the staff are very friendly and helpful, although the hotel is very orientated towards German guests and no information is provided to English speaking guests. We only discovered the day before leaving (from a german guest) that we could have hired hotel towels for the pool for a deposit of €10 a week; wish we'd been told about that when we arrived!

The food was varied and plentiful, though there would be significantly few choices for vegetarians; some of the food could have been hotter but the grill area was excellent and provided omelettes in the morning and grilled meats at dinner. If you weren't staying on an all-inclusive basis, the choice for lunch at the pool bar was dire; ham and cheese sandwiches on sliced white bread was the only option.

The rooms were quite spacious and the bathrooms are modern with a good shower (though the shower curtain continually stuck to me and the shower tray was very shallow and overflowed to a degree each time. Bed springs were a bit uncomfortable and I had back ache by the third day which didn't go until I got home. The hotel advertises free wifi throughout the hotel but this isn't accurate; it is great around reception and the pool etc.... but this hotel spreads over a very large site and the free wifi does not reach all rooms. If the wifi in your room is important to you, you'd need to ask for a room fairly near the reception area. Even the dining room had areas not covered by the wifi.

My main problem was that I had a major issue while at the hotel and they didn't deal with it at all well. The test of a good hotel is how they respond when something goes wrong and I'm afraid this hotel failed miserably. The fault appeared the first night I slept in the room; I had turned the air-conditioning on before going to bed and was awoken around 1am with water pouring from the vent in the hallway. The floor was flooded and very slippy; I switched off the aircon and it slowed to a steady drip so I used all the towels to mop up the flood and soften the noise of the dripping. I slept very badly that night as the room was very hot without the aircon (despite it being October it was very hot).

I reported the fault to reception early the next morning and was assured it would be sorted out. I was told later that day that the engineer had fixed it but within an hour or so of switching on the aircon, it began to leak again. This went on for two days, I repeatedly reported that the problem wasn't fixed and was then told the engineer had mended it. Despite a request to move rooms, I was told the hotel was full and this wasn't possible. On the third day, I pleaded with reception to move me as I had barely slept now for several days and the laminated floor in the hallway was becoming damaged and beginning to curl with the constant drip and being covered with wet towels. The receptionist brought out a sheet which indicated that there were currently two vacant rooms; I was given the key to one of them but when I arrived at the room, it was clearly occupied. I went back back to reception, informed the guy (who was sitting in the back office when I arrived) and asked for the key to the other vacant room. He said there was no other vacant room and I asked (quite reasonably, I felt) about the other room on the list I'd seen (which was still lying on the reception desk). Instead of simply explaining that the room had just been taken, he proceeded to shout at me, stating that if he said there was no other room, then there was no other room. He rifled through papers on the desk and aggressively thrust a receipt in my face which showed that the room had been paid for shortly before. There is never any reason for a staff member to speak to a guest in this manner and I was so tired that it reduced me to tears as I felt as if I was never going to be able to change my room.

Another vacant room was identified at this point and I asked for help with my case as the lift wasn't working and the room was on the 3rd floor; I use a walking stick and could not have taken my case up the stairs. With a very disgruntled manner, he took my bag up to the room. At no point did anyone apologise to me for the inconvenience of having the problem of the floor flooding and having to change rooms; I was made to feel as if I was the inconvenience.

I had travelled with friends who were in an adjacent room initially; we'd requested rooms with a sea view and I ended up on a different floor from them, as far from reception (and the way out of the hotel) as possible, which meant no wifi at all. Because of the steep slope the hotel is built on, my room was on the 3rd floor but actually on the road level and just yards from a busy corner where coaches dropped off and picked up at all hours of the day, for several nearby hotels. I had to keep the curtains closed at all times as people were passing and sitting waiting for coaches just a couple of yards outside my room and the whole experience has certainly affected how I perceive this hotel.

I travel a lot for work and stay in hotels a lot; occasionally things do go wrong but I accept this and have found most hotels try very hard to remedy any problems as quickly as possible. I have never experienced being spoken to in the manner I was by this particular man in any hotel and I can't imagine it happening anywhere else I have stayed. A smile and an apology would have gone a long way to making me feel better about the whole situation and would have cost nothing.

I'm not going to suggest that you avoid this hotel but I hope that nothing goes wrong while you're there if you do use it!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms with a sea view are fairly near reception; if you want to ensure wifi, I'd ask...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda1892
Stretford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in October and whilst it looks like a typical holiday hotel the looks don't do the place justice. Its outstanding points are the location and the helpful staff.
This hotel has a down side with the restaurant in that it doesn't cater for vegetarians and the food is often over cooked, however its difficult to provide a buffet that satisfies 300-400 diners. However there were many young families there enjoying the freedom of a buffet.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms at the front with a magnificent view over the bay
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve T
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Hotel very clean. Great location. Swimming pool nice but water cold. Food adequate. Room good. Overall good value for money. Only complaint is that nothing could be booked to the room despite the fact the hotel accepts credit cards so had to walk down town to get cash. Also no nuts or crisps available anywhere in the hotel. Special mention for Nico the barman - exceptional service.

Room Tip: Go for sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter_HH9529NG
west midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

What a great time we had staying at this Hotel. Yes the transfer is about 2 hours but when you arrive it is worth the journey. The setting of the hotel is lovely, with the pool area and grounds with tennis courts. It caters mainly for German guests but don’t let that deter you. Everyone is so friendly and the reception staff go out of their way to help you. Our room on the 5th floor was big, had a fridge and was immaculate and had a lovely view. Food was good and there is a chef cooking omelettes and eggs in the morning and again in the evening, fish and meat. The salad bar choice was extensive. There is a good choice of other food too.
The beach at Cala Agulla is lovely, soft sand and pedaloes and canoes to hire if you want. 6 Euros for an hour for a canoe. There are 3 bars on the beach, the first one has a toilet for the restaurant customers but can be used by others for 50 cents.
There is a Diving School a few minutes away from the Hotel and next door there is a bar where you can sit and enjoy the ambience. Great for the evening too.
For a lovely baguette go to Pasta Pasta, its Beachtime to go it is 4.5 Euros and a can of beer one euro. Lovely friendly staff there. It’s on the main street very near the turnoff to the Cala Agulla beach.
A walk into the harbour area takes about 25 minutes. Lovely restaurants there. The bar Sa Fonda 74 has a lovely seating area outside and the prices there are reasonable. Live entertainment some evenings. If you turn left along the promenade it will take you to Cala Gat a small beach with a bar. Turn right takes you to Son Moll a larger beach where there are a couple of bars and a Spa shop. If you want a boat trip you can book them at the harbour.
Cala Ratjada is very unspoilt and I would highly recommend that you stay there. We went on a travelzoo deal with free drinks with meals. We thought it would be just one drink but you help yourself to wine, beer and soft drinks as many times as you like whilst in the restaurant.
Don’t be put off by some of the previous reviews. It was one of the best holidays we have had.

Room Tip: Request a high floor room in hotel with a sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Faults:

The only possible fault I could accuse the hotel of would be the food - due to the lack of options at dinner and the pool bar (poor selection of snacks and mainly meat). However, the ridiculously low price of the overall stay justifies going out to eat.

THB Guya Playa was the hotel recommended to us when we asked if there was a spa available to use as we would get free entry. Only a few minutes walk away from our hotel, we had high expectations for the four star resort. The spa was a tiny, claustrophobic pool filled room with one sauna and one broken steam room, which absolutely stank of sewers. we stayed for 15 minutes until the smell became so overwhelming that we left. We recommend paying for a proper spa if you stay at Cala Lliteras as a spa is the only thing the hotel lacked.

We found the area extremely German. Many of the bars/restaurants were German orientated which made it difficult to enjoy Spanish culture and meet new people as we only spoke English.

Location:

The location was absolutely stunning. My boyfriend and I (aged 21) stayed at Cala Lliteras for 10 nights and managed to explore two close towns - Cala Bona and Sa Coma. The beach recommended by the hotel, despite its beauty, was overcrowded. We highly recommend exploring as we were able to find two other beaches; one small and completely secluded, by the coast restaurants and the other with live music and a cafe which we found more suitable for our age. The location far exceeds many other countries we have visited. Almost touching the hotel is a beautiful cove, perfect for snorkeling and for small children to explore. It also contains a great restaurant which we revisited. A harbor, port, three beaches, stunning cliffs, nightclubs, bars and restaurants were all in walking distance from the hotel. Suitable for both couples wanting a relaxing break and friends wanting to explore. A swimming pool bar which caught our interest was a great place to relax after a day of walking.

Service:

The hotel staff seemed as if they already knew us on our arrival. We received a very warm welcome and were offered help on any inquiries we made. As it was my boyfriend's birthday during the stay, I asked if there was anything they could do to make it special. The staff spoke to me whenever I was alone making sure they had correct details of the room, my boyfriend's age and if there was anything extra I needed. When I went down in the morning they gave me a bottle of champagne and an enormous cake with the candle '21', on a tray with cutlery and glasses and brought it up to the room for me. They did not charge me any money for their gesture.

Overall stay:

The bedroom was clean and spacious with a really pretty balcony. My first impressions of the balcony overlooking the street was disappointing but I quickly became happy to relax at the table and overlook the friendly people and the cove nearby. The cleaners were friendly and efficient which made us feel very settled. The bed was two large singles pushed together to make a huge sleeping space. Unfortunately this was not suitable for a couple as the beds came apart in the night or one of us would fall through the middle which was quite uncomfortable.

We highly recommend this hotel and the location, and hope that people take the time to explore what is around.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jessica_ldavis
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel itself is superb, everything you would hope for: its clean, modern and the pool is great.
Only a few negatives to list, but nothing major.
The pool in our opinion was too cold, needed heating for September.
The hotel seemed to cater for Germans only, most signs etc were German, very few English but this didn't matter.
The transfer was over 2 hours and the bus takes you pretty much everywhere before dropping you off or returning you to the airport. For a few extra quid, I'd would recommend that you book a taxi to the airport. Apart from these negatives, we were so pleased with the hotel. Food was excellent with so much choice and you won't meet nicer staff.. They all seemed to adore my little three year old, which of course she loved! Would def stay there again, despite the bus transfer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 18 in Colonia de Sant Jordi
Hotel & Spa S'Entrador Playa
Hotel & Spa S'Entrador Playa
#8 of 60 in Cala Ratjada

Been to THB Cala Lliteras? Share your experiences!