“Lovely hotel, excellent service”

Hotel & Spa S'Entrador Playa
Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Cala Ratjada
Bath, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, excellent service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I echo all of the other reviews - this is a lovely hotel. It is definitely is not a 4star superior as advertised but even so, we had a wonderful 4 night stay in August 2013.

The refurbished room was pretty basic but had a good walk-in shower and the sea and mountain view was exactly as promised, and was amazing.

The spa was beautiful and enjoyable although I was a little disappointed that the steam was only on for 2 hours each day as the spa was one of our reasons for choosing this hotel.

The food was excellent - we had a free dinner option - with plenty of choice at breakfast and dinner. We were there for the mallorquin, BBQ and gala evenings which meant the menu was very varied. Having freshly cooked fresh fish was a nice treat as was the large salad selection on offer.

Despite being a bit of a concrete box there were special touches around the hotel making it feel welcoming such as the 'towel-art' animals a la cruise ship and sweets and fresh fruit on reception.

As others have said, the stay was made by the service and the staff at the hotel. The staff were fluent in English despite the majority of guests (95%+) being german speakers and they all kindly enduldged my appalling spanish! The reception desk team were excellent and the glass of bubbly on arrival was very welcoming. Being greeted at dinner by the hotel manager on two occassions was also a very nice touch. The spa staff were great too especially friendly Natalia, and the bar staff, though very busy, were excellent - thanks to Christian for looking after us so well.

The resort of Cala Agulla is beautiful with a white sandy beach and turquoise sea and is surrounded by pines and mountains. The waves break dramatically over the rocks. The beach is packed with young Germans in the day but quiet at night. It's a short walk to Cala Ratjada which has a pretty harbour and some nice spots and a few nice walks - we avoided Son Moll beach and headed to pretty Cala Gat. The Saturday market was fun too.

Watching the sun setting over the mountains from the hotel's dining room was a definite highlight.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms really do have great views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WeezeyWeeze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have just returned from a 10 day stay at the resort accompanying my Mother-In-Law who finds it difficult to walk unaided & I must say that both Nico & Sabrina & all of the staff were fantastic , we required rooms on the 1st floor close to the lift for obvious reasons & which we were given & the staff were really both helpful & accommodating making our stay stress free . The hotel itself is well positioned a genuine short walk from the beach with a feasible stroll to the town & busy port ,the rooms were very clean & serviced daily & the half board fayre very good with many choices for both buffet breakfast & dinner . There were of course 1 or 2 minor points which I believe could be addressed at a minimal cost, during breakfast coffee & tea & additional beverages are available in abundance ,however during dinner beverages are available to be purchased .Furthermore I think the cost of the room safe to be expensive & most hotels I visit throughout the world DO NOT CHARGE but if key operated take a deposit against key loss, personally I think hotels should encourage the use of a safe to ensure tourists do not experience theft however visitors who are on a tight budget may choose not to pay as we did 26 Euros per safe together with 16 Euros penalty should you lose a towel. But with all said we had an excellent holiday & would certainly recommend both the hotel & resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank glenn054
Cumbrian
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Although this large hotel at first appears rather soulless, it is excellently well managed by the two ever present and hands on directors Nico and Sabrina, with a great emphasis on customer care. It was 22:00 when we arrive but we were still given the full treatment at reception - free glasses of wine and a personnel welcome by the hotel director while our luggage was taken to our room. Furthermore the dining room was reopened and a cold buffet supper was prepared for us. This level of personal service was evident the whole time we were there and was most impressive for such a large hotel. The food at both breakfast and the imaginatively prepared buffet dinner with special themed nights was excellent with always an extremely varied choice of dishes. All in all a great hotel with a spa area in a superb location next to nature reserve with spectacular unspoilt beach. Well worth a visit if you don't mind being in the minority as this area including the hotel is predominately frequented by Germans, many of them repeat visitors - but don't let that put who off. The staff are more than willing to accommodate any nationality and we had a great time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Newtongate
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just arrived back after seven nights in this fantastic hotel.We have stayed in numerous hotels abroad but never had food as delicious as this .Breakfasts catered for every taste,cereals fruit yoghurt ,bacon eggs ham cheese etc etc.The evening meal was completely different each day.Roast beef ,pork,ham .Fish prawns paella etc.Salads and deserts each cooked by first class chefs.The staff will go out of there way to help and nothing is too much trouble for them.GABRIEL and JUAN must be praised for their excellent hosting and management skills.Whilst the spar swimming pool is quite small ,they have loungers in separate pool jacuzzi as well as normal jacuzzi there is a steam room and sauna showers and a very good gym. the surrounding area is beautiful with huge park areas that lead on to the beach.We were one of two english couples in the hotel which was predominately used by german holidaymakers but most of staff spoke english so for us this was fine.We found everybody so friendly.The management even find out if your birthday is while you are staying with them and presnt you with a birthday cake and Gabriel and his dining room staff gather round you singing happy birthdayto you.I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody and cant wait to go back again.well done from a liverpool couple

Room Tip: ask for room on third floor overlooking the sea
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anthony l
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just recently back from a week at S'Entrador Playa and had a perfect, relaxing, quiet stay. I'm rather sure I was the only English guest amongst many Germans and a smattering of Spanish (guessing by the languages I heard spoken in the dining room), however this didn't bother me.

Highlights were definitely the friendliest, hardest working, multi-lingual staff I've ever come across, the huge varied breakfast spread and the small but very welcome spa that I visited every evening. My only criticisms were the outdated gym equipment (but I live in London, so my standards are probably too high) and vegetarian cooked dinner options that were limited to the vegetable sides (however the salad bar was enormous and generally there was a vegetarian soup every night that was very nice).

As others have pointed out, Cala Ratjada is a German resort town and the hotel spa reflected that culture: you either embrace nakedness and/or avert your eyes regularly. As it was November and off-peak, I can't comment on the bars/restaurants or night scene as not much was open. However local buses were still regular, the closest beach (Cala Agulla) had enough people around to safely swim, and the tourist office has a very good guide with local hikes.

All in all, a lovely winter sun holiday!

Room Tip: Originally I was in the annex outside: the room was enormous, however it was drafty and the decor/ba...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hants
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The S'Entrador Playa is deserving of all the fantastic reviews. A superbly managed hotel in an excellent location. I visited with my partner and 7 year old daughter at the end of October/beginning of November (school half term week). We had 6 good days of weather out of 8. Cala Rajada and indeed this hotel is mainly populated with German tourists, but that was no problem to us - everyone was very friendly. Other reviews are spot on though and it does make me smile as a lot of the German guests go totally naked in the terrific spa facility - even in the pool for some reason (not sure this is appropriate these days) - hygenic?? But quite funny. The kids spa is totally seperate from the adult one and our daughter loved it. I actually can't over emphasise how friendly, professional, helpful and efficient the staff are in this hotel - you really are made to feel so welcome from the moment that you enter. From the management of Gabriel and Juan who are both exceptional and so polite and welcoming, to Romina and her reception team - so helpful with everything. Rafa the chef and his team provide the most magnificent food - the big chef cooking the fish and meat was my favourite - friendly customer service like this is invaluable. The team of waiters and waitresses are superb. The lovely Valentina is so friendly and does so well organising the entertainment and mingling with the guests. Javi and Pepe are great behing the bar, Javi must be one of the quickest barman i've seen and is constantly on the move between the restaurant and the bar working tirelessly. The lady (i'm sorry her name escapes me) who helps in the bar was also so nice - as i say the friendly nature and teamwork of the staff are the key to the place.

We had a great room with a sea view, looking down to the nearby beach and needless to say the housekeeping was also excellent.

The area was perfect for us with a lovely beach, apparently it does get very busy during the summer! the sea water was perfect temperature and we loved the long walks through the nice countryside, days of cycling and visiting the nice restaurants along the marina.

Many hotels and attractions close down for winter at this time of year but it didn't bother us as it was nice and not too busy.

What more can i say? We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: pay the extra for sea view it's worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DovM
Aberdour, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were a party of three, myself,husband and 19yr old son. This hotel and local area catered for us all. My husband went on many walks, sometimes for many hours and thoroughly enjoyed himself. My son enjoyed the sun and the gym and spa. I enjoyed the rest!! The spa is fab so quiet and relaxing and the massage I had was lovely. The staff are helpful and most accommodating, nothing was to much trouble. We arrived at approx 1 in the morning and were still able to have a cold buffet plate and a beer! The pool area was busy ,however there were plenty of sun loungers and trees to provide shade. The pool itself was cold, I do feel the children"s pool should be more enforced giving adults more peace while trying to read I was disturbed on many occasions by a ball being thrown out of the pool. Sun loungers cannot be reserved with towels, however this does seem to depend on factors which i was unable to fathom. Food was lovely with plenty of choice and variety.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
#13 of 58 in Cala Ratjada
Petit Hotel Ses Rotges
Petit Hotel Ses Rotges
#5 of 58 in Cala Ratjada

Been to Hotel & Spa S'Entrador Playa? Share your experiences!