“A great family holiday”

Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Cala Millor
Coventry, UK
“A great family holiday”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I visited with our son and his wife and children (3 and 1) in September 2013.
We stayed on the second floor of Block 3 overlooking the infant’s theme pool. The rooms were reasonably clean and comfortable and the separate sleeping arrangement (adjoining room) for the children was a big bonus. I would certainly recommend a room overlooking one of the swimming pools. One observation - swim up pools a waste of money Imho, as they didn't seem to get much sun! In addition, the ground floor rooms got flooded whilst we were there due to a torrential downpour.

We weren’t overly impressed with the daily room cleaning. The site itself was kept spotless with power washers in use early every morning and the restaurants cleaned thoroughly, but the rooms seemed to get minimal attention. I was puzzled to discover they are cleaned 6 days per week rather than 7, and on one occasion the cleaner left us towel-less. In spite of phoning reception several times the towels failed to appear and I had to visit reception personally to get something done. Even then it was nearly an hour before the towels were delivered – almost too late for our shower before dinner.

The food was excellent – a great choice from the buffet and a chef on hand to cook speciality dishes. Freshly cooked eggs, bacon, and omelettes to order were available at breakfast. I couldn’t fault the food at all and the children loved it. Pity about the wine which was available ‘on tap’ rather than from bottles. Nevertheless, it was just about quaffable.

There are three restaurants in addition to the buffet; Mexican, Italian and Mediterranean and vouchers are issued by reception to attend up to 4 times per week. We considered the Med. was by far the best (full waiter service), followed by Italian and Mexican.

We thought the entertainment was brilliant for the children. The nursery and Kids Club during the day and entertainment outside on stage every evening. I thought the young animation team tried really hard and should be commended for this. We enjoyed the drinks/cocktails but they were clearly watered down as it was impossible to get even tipsy! I guess the focus is on the well-being of the children rather than drunken parents.

Good entertainment during the day in and around the pools and other events such as archery. The sunbed towels policy is strictly enforced (no unattended towels on beds before 8.00am)

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed it all. I wouldn’t recommend the village unless you have young children or grandchildren in tow – the whole site is centred on the kids.

Finally, don’t forget to read the small print on the booking confirmation form. Adults are only allowed in the village if at least 75% of the body is covered in tattoos. Those covered 100% get a discount and this rule also applies to the men. It was quite clear during our visit that the vast majority abided by these rules - lol

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank JohnyCash

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I'll keep this short. This hotels is not for couples, which we found out upon our arrival - it was miss sold. Lots of kids entertainment, all the way through the night.

Rooms were large and clean enough. They were very loud though. The furniture in the rooms are heavy, you can hear the whole block move a chair to sit on. 24/7 noise.

Food was awful. I ate the same every night in the end. I like to try new things, but the quality of the meat was low, and not something I was happy to eat.

2 stars as staff were friendly when we asked to move hotels. They did what they could with the situation.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Timothyjarcher
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed here in June 2013 with my husband and 3 year old daughter. The hotel itself is lovely, clean and the rooms are very modern, we booked a swim up room but didnt realise until we arrived it wasnt swim up as we thought more like a shared pool with the neighbours which gave little privacy when the neighbours kept swimming past our veranda when we wanted a quiet sunbathe!

The major down sides to this hotel are the place was so heaving and if you were not down the pool at 6am to stick towels on the beds you were snookered!

The food was diabolical for all inclusive I was suprised that there wasnt food on offer 24/7 only at certain time slots during the day. We ate in the main restaurant buffet style , mexican buffet style again and italian, the italian was the best but even this was very poor it was allegedly served so you pick off a menuyes the pizzas were cooked fresh but if you wanted pasta you went up tothe servery where a 'chef' term used loosely! dipped precooked pasta in warm water to heat up then slopped a sauce on!!!, during the day the best food was the kebab hut by the pool & this was the best food all holiday! so basically if kebab is the best meal you get on an all incl holiday some major improvement is needed!! We ended up eating out several night out of 7 due to it being so bad we found some fantastic restaurants on the front for tapas well worth getting out ofhthe holiday village.

The next major issue I have is the level of noise on an evening yes people are on holiday and stay out late but just because you are on holiday it doesnt mean you lose all manners and consideration for others at 1, 2 and 3am in the morning with adults & kids screaming and shouting up the corridors as they are all tiled corridors and very noisy and echo!! This is a family hotel and some peole need to appreciate that some of us have smaller kids that go to bed earlier than them most nights my 3 year old was woken several times.

The pools in June were absolutely baltic my daughter used the roind baby pool but was blue with teeth chattering after half an hour, there is a pool undercover which is heated but its quite small and if it wasnt someone puking in it one day it was a turd floating the next!

Overall this place has lovely facilities but is spoilt in so many ways more like Butlins abroad full of chavs! I joined a facebook group for this hotel prior to going and the reviews were all 'this place is fantastic' and 'best holiday we have had' all I can say is these people must have been somewhere different or eat really crap food. I also found that if you said anything negative about the place on this facebook page you were hounded about your comments so much so that whilst I was there I was getting dirty looks from other people in the group who were also there! very bizarre behaviour so beware if you do check reviews on these facebook pages!!

I would not return in a million years!!

Room Tip: if you are unfortunate enough to book this hotel go for a swim up room round the back or a roof top...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank helenmarco33
birmingham
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Do not go there !!!!!!!!

Had safe stolen all our belongings passport ipad cash tickets purse house keys by a mbr of staff
Hotel didn't care still waiting for outstanding money which is owed to us. WARNING don't go there

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
27 Thank susanBirmingham
Surrey
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

What a dissapointing holiday. Having booked for a 12 night 'luxury' 5 star family experience we felt totally ripped off. Paid almost £3,000 for myself, husband and 2 year old son through First Choice (so my review will be more toddler biased). To give some balance, I've highlighted the positives and negatives:

Positives:

* Nicely decorated and modern rooms
* Ok selection of food, a bit repetitive at lunchtime but not a complaint, more an observation.
* Great splash pools for toddlers albeit very cold! We didn't have good weather (travelled in early September) so without the sun's heat, it really made a difference. Bothered my son initially but he managed to enjoy himself
* Good mini disco and generally hard working and friendly animation team

Negatives:

* Poor housekeeping service - our room wasn't cleaned daily and the cleaners didn't bother to remove any cutlery/plates/glasses etc taken from the restaurants to our rooms. Seemed to be an expectation that we would return these ourselves! Not practical with young kids
* Wasps and drinks stations - wasps absolutely all over these and frequently stuck to the ice cream machine. Also, very irritating to have to re-use shop bought or mini bar supplied water bottle as THE water bottle for the entire holiday. Only tiny plastic cups provided
* Really uncomfortable beds, so hard that I woke up with back ache every morning
* Not 'on the beach' - appreciate that I should probably have done more research here but having to use the courtesy bus and pay for loungers/umbrellas etc at the local beach in Calla Millor again became a slight irritation
* Steps and walls with potentially dangerous drops everywhere - not a problem if your kids or older but for toddlers its not ideal

Would I return? No, purely because I can get better value for money/luxury etc travelling 5 star AI to Turkey (which is what we'll be doing this year). This holiday village feels like an existing 3 star that's had a limited revamp and exceptionally good marketing campaign to convince the public that its a 5 star. Believe me, its not.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Ackeeandsaltfish
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is not a Hotel for children under 3. Too many steps and little walls for them to fall off. Some walls have high drops. Steps absolutely everywhere. We would not recommend this for a family with young children. Themed nights are brutal. No atmosphere so you wouldn't even know it was a themed night. Antz in our room.. We had to ask to be moved. No bath so had to buy a blow up boat for our 2 kids to wash in. 5 star no way..We went with a 20 month old and a 4 year old,,, So take my advise book somewhere else if you have a baby who just wants to run around because this is a place that's in all diff levels so Steps everywhere. One child actually pushed my 20 month old down some steps and his face was all bruised This was new last year so we were the ginny pigs. Went May 2013.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank lynn m
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at the Monte safari/ first choice holiday village. Confused? Yes so where we when we arrived. So to the rooms..

Clean yes, fridge yes, nice bathroom yes acceptable yes....... 5 star NO!!

Sofa beds well yes they are sofas that you sleep on, not pull out sofa beds.
1 bottle of water in fridge which you have to refill yourself continually.
Water in the showers leaks everywhere which considering the flooring is tiled this is a bit slippery to say the least.

So the hotel.. Well if your thinking 5 star luxury forget it!

Think pontins in the sun and your pretty much there. Very good if you want to send the kids of to the clubs all day, stuff your face with food and drink and listen to the continual tanoy bleating out the reps games! But if you thought you might be treated to a possibly more refined experience then please avoid this place.

Even the sign outside which boasts 4 stars so why are first choice selling as 5 stars? The pools Are not heated so we are restricted to the inside pool which is a small pool with a plastic cover over it!

Unfortunately we booked this a year ago of plan so to speak on the understanding that it was a all ready existing holiday village that was having a revamp.. It wasn't. It was a 4 star hotel that has been painted that's all (don't be fooled by the Cleve pictures) it's not a holiday village it has the layout of prison blocks with pools in the middle.

And if your thinking of going to the beach then I have to tell you that Cala millor is very very dated at best still 70s style everywher!

If your expecting alcudia or Porte pollensa then you are going to be disappointed I'm afraid.

Overall a good 3 star or possibly 4 star but Not I repeat Not a 5 star hotel at all.

• Stayed May 2013
#3 of 58 in Cala Millor
Globales Bouganvilla
Globales Bouganvilla
#13 of 29 in Sa Coma

Been to Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari? Share your experiences!