“one of the best”

Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Cala Millor
paisley-scotland
“one of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel is one of if not the best hotel in cala millor, the standards and service levels are 1st class. We will return again in the future. I would suggest that non German guests would always be in the minority as we were the only 2 non Germans in the hotel. The other guest were great as when finding that we didnt speak their language they spoke english to us. the language barrier did not other us as we wanted a quiet holiday to ourselfs and I am sure this helped us we were able to relax without any bother .

Room Tip: We had a room with a lovely sea view, 303, as do all rooms but I would reccommend a room with a pool...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank enjoyinglife49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Most people sems to be all-inclusive but we secured a good B&B rate. Good reception staff, very helpful. Breakfast buffet was extensive and freshly cooked eggs/omlettes available. We tried the evening buffet once and it was again extensive selection of hot & cold.
Many Germans in the hotel which can often indicate a high standard; it did here.
Good location, at end of main street of entertainment/bars which mean that it was quieter than right in the centre. however, only 5-10 mins to the centre.
right by the beach, good pool and mediocre evening entertainment (bingo one night). It seems as if the Kids activities were popular.
We visited late October which was quiet and suited us, would be buisier in summer

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steveie B
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed at the Hipocampo Playa for three nights in the middle of our Mallorca work/holiday trip. This place is a bit of a let down. The location is very removed which if you want to lay back in the sun and do nothing, is great! But the hotel itself is very tired and outdated. The rooms are late 80's early 90's style, a double bed is two singles pushed together but still made up as two singles. The balcony's are nice, it would be great to have a room which looked over the bay but we were told these get booked about 6 months in advance. To be honest, the hotel felt so old and tired that we really didn't spend much time there at all.

The real gem is in the Beach Bar (not part of the hotel) about 2 minutes drive down the road where you can happily sit ALL DAY without being hassled or moved on. Good food, nice cold drinks and the most beautiful beach for swimming.

The pool area at the hotel was quite large, the spa and relaxation was again a bit tired. The evening entertainment was appallingly bad, laughable. It is all very catered to their target market in this hotel which is German I believe.

So would i go there again? If they redecorate the rooms then yes. The crystal clear water where you swim out from the hotel is great, wish i had my snorkel and mask. The other weird thing is they have a restaurant that sits on the grounds of the hotel, looks over the hotel beach area, but it isn't part of the hotel so be aware before you go there as you can't charge it back to your room. We had a lovely 'hot stone' steak where you cook it yourself and the service there was fantastic. Location wise, you're about 15 minute drive to the closest town, very German but it has all manner of shops and restaurants. It wasn't super nice, we did a wander through but nothing really took our fancy so we high tailed it back to the beach bar. We didn't eat in the hotel buffet, again, the vibe of the place inside was not super appealing so we tended to stick to the outdoor areas and surrounds. If you have kids this place would probably be great, big grassy lawns, playground, pools, beach area and being quite removed, you'd probably feel totally at ease knowing that they cant get very far.

Room Tip: Try to get a full sea view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah E
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

First of all let me say that the hotel is very clean which, for me, is very important.
When we checked in I was surprised to learn that we were going to have all entertainment and meals at a hotel down the road....a complete surprise to me and as I made the booking a couple of months in advance there really was no excuse for me not to have been informed of this. We were on a half board basis so had to get up and go down the road for breakfast and then the same again for Dinner. Entertainment at the other Hotel "Bahir Grande" was not very well organised for the children. sometimes the club only lasted half an hour and we were required to stay close so the children could be taken away quickly...hardly a relaxing family holiday. The evening entertainment was good..on one night! Children's disco every night was so repetative it became unbearable to watch. FOOD WAS EXCELLENT. Everyone staying at the Bahir Grande was on all inc which I have to say seemed excellent. Swimming pools in both hotels were very small...esp the indoor ones, they looked more like big baths! We would not stay again because there just wasn't enough going on and what was, was not very good!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Margaret3105
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

After reading mixed reviews of this hotel , what a pleasant surprise it was when we stayed there.
1. The hotel was comfortable and clean , although our bedroom a bit on the small side
2. The staff couldn't have been more helpful.
3. The food was excellent in both quality and quantity
4. The fact that most (90%+) were Germans was a bonus as far as we were concerned. The hotel was quiet and all guests (mostly middle aged) were well behaved. Unlike a 4 star hotel in Crete in September where we were kept awake by idiot Brits until 3am shouting obscenities at each other. In future I will regard a mostly German hotel as a bonus!

• Liked — staff attitude to guests
  • Disliked — small pools (both indoor and out) rooms alos on the small side
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Philip S
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

Last Easter I took my GF to Mallorca, to visit the island and also to stay in a nice 5* hotel called Hipocampo Palace. I made a package reservation on [--].

When we arrived at the reception, we were informed that Expedia had made a mistake and that the hotel was full. Expedia had therefore downgraded us to Hipocampo Playa.

Needless to say, they did not try to contact us although the trip had been booked for more then 3 weeks before departure. They did not call to apologize. I had to write a lengthy letter - there is no number to call ... - to explain how unhappy I was. (I'll never ever use them again, there are so many bad reviews on the web, I should have trusted them).

Back to the hotel now ...

The hotel we were downgraded to ("Hipocampo Playa") was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, it's got 4 stars but honestly barely deserves 3 !!

- Information was extremely difficult to obtain from the reception given that they wouldn’t speak even Basic English. It is really German, even maids have basic German knowledge, no English at all.
- we were promissed some sort of compensation but never saw anything coming
- The indoor swimming pool was tiny
- The sauna had to be booked (!)
- The fitness room was ridiculous
- The room were not spacious
- The bed mattress was as hard as a rock
- It smelled cigarette smoke everywhere
- The diner was basic & the wine list was appalling
- The dining room was in fact a huge noisy cantina
- Kids were running and shouting everywhere
- Evening entertaining is laughable
- On the 1st night I had to call twice to get 2 bottles of water sent to the room
- On the 3rd night I asked for drinks to be sent to the room and the reception literally barked at me in Spanish and hung up on me. I had to go to the bar and order drinks and bring those upstairs myself. Needless to say I couldn't put the bill on the room for some obscure reason (!!!) and they wouldn't take card payments.

- The bar is really like a huge smoky pub were german tourists get drunk and smoke all night calling it entertainment - no dress code, quite low level.

I could write a novel ...

Just don't go there ... trust me ...

The palace is really good, we went there to the swimming pool and sauna and beauty / massage salon and really that's where we wanted to go in the first place. (There is a proper bar and lobby and strictly no smoking policy).

------------ Never again with Expedia, they took my money and then changed the rules in the middle of the game ------------

• Liked — Nothing I didn't choose it I got downgraded by Expedia
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank UK_Xavier
Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2006

This hotel is okay. We enjoyed our stay overall but....

Pros:
Location is excellent
Beach is close and lovely as are shopping and promenade
Rooms are clean
Nightly entertainment is very enjoyable.
Service was good, employees were pleasant.

Cons:
Food is average and pretty boring.
We stayed for 5 days and they never changed the sheets.
The inside and outside pools are tiny
Workout equipment is minimal and in very poor condition
Hot tub was cold
Could not get coffee before 8:00, bad for early risers.
Long (1.5 hours) bus ride to and from the airport

Other Info:
Most guests were retirees/elderly.
Very few children.

We stayed at the Safari Park Hotel just down the road in 2000 and the food, outdoor pool and children's acitivies were quite a bit better. (Safari Park indoor pool was awful but perhaps they've cleaned it by now). If you want more unspoilt surroundings, try Can PIcafort. We stayed there in 2004 and it was very nice and not quite as touristicated (yet). The hotel there, Dunas Playa, had great location and service but the food was only okay.

• Stayed May 2006