“Charming and full of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Parador de Ubeda

Parador de Ubeda
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ubeda
Singapore
“Charming and full of character”
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a Parador hopping tour. Good proximity to heritage buildings for which Ubeda is renown. The Parador is full of character. I paid €30 extra for a ground floor room with access to a private garden. Absolutely lovely!! The only criticism is the intermittent and weak wifi connection. Not acceptable at all, hence the less than perfect rating.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Malaga, Spain
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,080 helpful votes
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Parador for 2 days and enjoyed it. I called the Parador before going there and asked about parking. The clerk told me that I could park on the reserved place on the street in front of the Parador. They would then call a man who rented his garage for 12 euros a night (compared to 20 euros a night for a commercial garage). This worked out for us and after we checked in I gave the clerk my car key and told her I would leave in 2 days at 9 am. The car was promptly there at that time.

Our room was fine with the standard parador furnishing with period furniture. The bed was queen size and I would have preferred a king size bed. The bathroom was modern and it had windows you could open to ventilate the room.

The breakfast buffet was fine. You could ask the waiter to make you a fried egg, if there was none on the tray.

The location of the parador is the best, in the center of the monumental things to see. The desk clerks were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

There was a sad pervading air of gastronomic gloom and disappointment in the restaurant this evening. Visitors enter with such energy and anticipation but the successive deliveries of voluminous, tasteless food with life threatening levels of saturated fat soon render even the most forgiving of customers as depressed zombies. The next course arrives with a flourish but the food is simply not good enough to warrant the not inconsiderable prices. This is school dinners with flashy menu titles. There is no celebrity chef, no personal reputation to be protected, this is British Rail without the seasoning. As new customers arrive one desperately wants to blurt out "don't do it!". But the atmosphere somehow brings a fog of silence over the assembled disappointed throng of disenchanted diners and the best one can hope for is a rapid signing of the bill and an escape to bed. Tomorrow is another day and Spain has so much more to offer than this gastronomic desert of despair. I longed for the lost opportunity of oblivion from an evening spent in the lobby of the Parador sinking a succession of the excellent gin and tonics served by a genial and good humoured waiter. Don't do it travellers!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Farple
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed October 3, 2013

In the midst of the Old San Miguel Church, The City Hall, and quite a few city buildings all of which belong to the sixteen century as the best examples of the Spanish Renaissance Architecture sits this palace that is simple by comparison to other Paradores as it was built for a Bishop.
The staff is quite helpful and friendly, breakfast ample and no problem with using the recommended street parking. Ubeda belongs to the World Heritage sites due to it's Renaissance importance, it is clean, charming and their people welcome the visitor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Parador de Ubeda is a converted 16th century renaissance palace which still retains some of the old charm. We found the parador without too much trouble and parked opposite while unloading the luggage and then had to find street parking as there is no parking at the Parador. The staff were very helpful and rushed out to help us when they saw us arriving. The room was a little disappointing however as it was an inside room with no windows. It did have a door leading to a small patio overlooking an internal courtyard but for the sake of privacy this remained closed making the room very claustrophobic. The parador is quite a walk from the shopping district of the town and the narrow winding streets make it easy to get lost. We did have a very nice dinner with the locals at Misa de 12 on the Plaza de Mayo.
So if you do stay at the Parador de Ubeda ask for an external room with a window at least.
We went to Ubeda on the advice of friends who said that we must see the olives. We did indeed see hundreds of kilometres of olive trees on the drive from Granada. Apart from this we felt that there was not too much else about Ubeda that we hadn't seen in other Spanish towns and its a long drive from anywhere.

Room Tip: Unless you like sleeping in a dungeon, ask for an outside room or one overlooking the square. The po...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Europe
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have lost count of the number of Paradors that I have spent some time in - dozens over the years - but not many of them deserve five stars!

Yes, there are minor inconveniences. In just about every other Parador I have visited, Amigos members get free parking in the hotel's covered car parks, a perk well worth having. Ubeda does not have a car park, nor can you drop your cases off at the door, as the beautiful Plaza de Vasquez de Molina starts at the hotel door, and is vehicle free. Having said that, I did see one car briefly parked outside the hotel during our stay, so I suppose the driver lifted the chain barrier, which had obviously been put in place to keep you out! However, it really wasn't a problem. There is a small slot off the square for offloading ones luggage, and the strong arms of one of the reception staff did the rest! The car can then stay there for fifteen minutes, but must be moved ASAP, especially as the police station is only about 100 meters down the road. However, again not a problem as free street parking is available just off the square.

I am sure that everybody has their own system for marking their favourite, as well as their nightmare, hotels, but I am also sure that "value for money" must play a large part in anybody's assessment. If I had paid the rack rate for the double room we were offered, plus breakfast for the two of us, it would have come to over €200 per night. However, the Amigos deal (one of those non-refundable offers, with the cash taken from your credit card before you even have the chance to open up your on-line statement) was a two night stop for an excellent €85 per night for the two of us, which included IVA and breakfast. So we were off to an excellent start.

Our room (maybe we were lucky) was almost perfect; large, with character furnishings in superb condition, an extremely comfortable double bed, a large, very "useable" balcony, a more than adequate bathroom (although I think all hotels should discontinue putting their showers over a bath), and all of it spotlessly clean. Aside from a shower placed over a slippery bath - in my opinion an accident waiting to happen - my wife's other negative comment was that it is about time Paradors binned their antiquated hair driers and came into this century!

The Parador or, to give it its full title, the Palacio Condestable Dávalos, is a superb sixteenth century Renaissance mansion but, most importantly, it has kept its character. The large patio that you enter into directly from the hotel entrance is impressive, but could be much improved if they got rid of the very dull looking, grey and creamish tables and chairs. I am not suggesting Scandinavian minimalism, nor over the top Regency, God forbid, but I am sure a good interior designer could transform the area, keeping it all in character, at a cost that I am sure would not break the Parador's bank.

The bar and the patio leading off the bar are great places to enjoy a drink but again it is noticeable that the Parador staff uniforms are a bit greyish blue and a little dull. Doubtless in an effort to remove the legacy of years ago, when Parador staff were made to parade around in whatever the costume tradition was of that area. All looking decidedly uncomfortable and slightly embarrassed! I'm glad for their sake that this dress standard has been kicked to touch.

We decided not to eat dinner at the Parador, choosing to dine at the Asador de Santiago on our first evening and the Zeitum on our second evening. If it is of any help to any visitors to Ubeda, I will be reviewing both of them separately.

Breakfast at the Parador was excellent. In fact I have never had a single complaint about the breakfasts in any of the Paradors I have spent time in. The selection of charcuterie and smoked fish was excellent; plenty of fruit and a variety of hot dishes, including eggs cooked to order; lots of cakey type things, which do nothing for me at breakfast, but available if that is your particular poison.

What about Ubeda itself? Well, if you are staying at the Parador you are in the heart of the old town and it is absolutely delightful. We were there at the beginning of September and the weather was superb for our two day visit - not a cloud in sight the whole time. We just rambled around in the morning, visiting the Capilla del Salvador and the even more beautiful (in our opinion) Santa Maria de los Reales Alcázares, which only recently reopened to the public after years of renovation work. However, it is true to say that all the late sixteenth century buildings around this area are worth a visit.

What about the nightlife? Sorry, definitely can't help you there! Maybe there is a bit of activity in the new town, but we didn't feel the necessity to even look!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EuropeBlueSky
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

If you'd like to stay in a truely exceptional place, this is your pick. The Ubeda parador is located in the center of Ubeda and is an old palace with beautiful rooms (some even have a private garden). Great food, helpful staff - we loved it

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubeda
Hotel Palacio de Ubeda
Hotel RL Ciudad de Ubeda
TRH BAEZA
TRH BAEZA
#2 of 9 in Baeza

Been to Parador de Ubeda? Share your experiences!