Wife and I (ages 32 & 34) spent the last 2 weeks of June at Grangefield with 2 kids (ages nearly 4 years and 8 months), and their grandparents.
Firstly let me just say that this is not in Mijas (Mijas is a village in the mountains), it's not in Cala de Mijas either which is about a 5 - 10 minute drive away. In fact its nearest town is a place called Riviera del sol.
If you are planning to drive (which i would recommend) then I would not attempt to do it without a sat nav as its not easy to find. GPS coordinates which take you right to the reception door are
GPS 36º 30´ 4,44´´ N 4º 42´ 46,97´´ W
Drive is easy enough only takes about 20 - 25 mins from Malaga airport.
I was worried about driving having never driven abroad before but after an initial ten minutes of terror and panic all was fine.
We had an 2 infinity apartments, one was ground floor number A1 and 1 was higher floor number A4. On arrival both apartments were very clean. Apartments were well equipt - both had full kitchens with all we needed, dishwashers and utility room with washing machine. Both were spacious, both had 2 bathrooms and 2 double bedrooms. The upstairs one had a reasonable sized patio and apartment A1 had a huge outdoor terrace which was an added bonus. Overall the apartments were very good, perhaps starting to date a little in some areas but to say anything bad about them would be nit picking.
Please note we had 2 "infinity" apartments which are the top spec ones in the best locations there were other smaller apartments on the site which we can't comment on.
As for cleaning etc while there, towels were plentiful, linen was changed however there was not much evidence of other cleaning (sweeping / mopping dusting etc) but we are pretty tidy clean folk anyway so maybe they thought it didn't need doing.
The complex itself is well presented with 2 outdoor pools, both of which ranged daily from freezing, very cold or just cold, with the pool nearer the bar being the warmest. Not ideal as the 8 month old would get too cold after a while in the water - but not an issue for adults and older kids. There was an indoor pool / spa which we didn't try as they insisted that you wore swimming caps (even me having a skinhead lol) which they would happily sell you which i thought was just a money making idea so we gave it a miss.
There are a lot of steps, everywhere, a bit of a pain in the rear with a buggy but nothing that can't be managed. We're no athletes and managed carrying the thing up and down when required (which was often) however i would not fancy staying there if i had mobility issues that's for sure.
Restaurant was OK, food quality was fine but a little on the pricey side compared to places in the towns. Same story with the drinks in the bar. The snack bar rated higher with prices that seemed more normal and a decent choice but only available at certain times.
Shop on site was very small, limited choice and expensive.
Staff were mostly indifferent, not the cheeriest but not rude or grumpy either somewhere in between - with the exception of the lifeguard who was a really nice bloke who seemed to make a real effort with the kids - other staff should follow his example.
The real thing that lets Grangefield down is its location - its a good mile and a half up a steep hill in the middle of a residential area with nothing much nearby except for Bunkers Bar about 5 mins walk away, handy for popping in if attempting the walk to the town of Riviera del sol at the bottom of the hill.
Me and the wife did the walk to the bottom ourselves and managed fine however the pavements were not the best in places and there would be no way a child could have walked it and we would have struggled with the buggy. We didn't try walking back up we opted for a taxi instead but I'm guessing it would not have been much fun.
Thankfully we hired a car and as such visited loads of nice places nearby , Mijas, Cala de Mijas, Benalmadena (very nice marina) and Puerto Banus (yachts, millionaires, fancy cars and bimbos). This was a blessing in disguise as we did more than we would have done otherwise.
Taxis cost 6-7 euros 1 way up or down the hill.
At the bottom of the hill there is 2 supermarkets (Mas is very good) a handful of bars and restaurants, Korma is good as is the Italian that is next to the Chinese (its name escapes me)
If you just want to read a book and relax and are not too bothered about value or choice then don't hire a car.
If you want a little more choice and value then be prepared to walk the hill each day or shell out for taxis.
If you want infinite choice and wish a few good trips out then hire a car, loads and loads to do all within 20 mins drive, loads of busier places all competing for business in the larger resorts so plenty of bargains to be had.
Hope this helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently situated between Fuengirola and Marbella, the Grangefield Oasis offers functional, self-catering apartments with furnished balconies.The complex features 2 outdoor swimming pools, an indoor swimming pool, a hot tub, sauna and gym. There is free internet access in reception.Each apartment in Grangefield Oasis has a fully-equipped kitchen and a comfortable lounge area with a sofa bed. They also include a TV with satellite channels.An entertainment and activity programme is offered for children at the resort. There are tennis courts and a mini golf course. The Miraflores Golf Course can be found next to Grangefield Oasis and the nearest beach is less than 2 km away.Guests can enjoy drinks, snacks and light meals at the cafeteria and bar. The La Hacienda restaurant serves regional and international cuisine all day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Muthu Grangefield Oasis Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grangefield Oasis Club Hotel Mijas
- Grangefield Oasis Hotel
- Grangefield Oasis Mijas
- Muthu Grangefield Oasis Club Spain/Mijas, Costa Del Sol