“Fantastic place to stay”

Muthu Grangefield Oasis Club
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Mijas
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have just returned from the Grangefield Oasis (2 days ago) absolutely loved it! We had a groupon deal for £109 for 4ppl for 7 nights and I went with my partner and our 2 year old. It was the best holiday we have had, rooms were beautiful, resort was lovely, food was nice and reasonably priced and the staff were lovely. The only thing I would say to enjoy your holiday so much you need a car, which we had :-) 10/10 Definately want to return. Happy holidays people

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank melly212

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I have just arrived back from this place, booked using our points with rci,, Picked up at the airport through Petchy Travel,, 1st class transfers both ways,, much cheaper than a taxi,, Arrived early afternoon, by sheer luck our apartment was ready, good reception team, all very helpful, had a 2 bedroom apt, massive and very clean,, the restraunt team are crazy,, all of them will go out their way for you,, antonios,sergio,julio,maria are crackers, good fun,, we up graded to half board through Petchy Travel,, well worth the money has we ate there every night and the food was excellent,,,,all the cleaning staff are excellent,,
There is a mad rush for the sunbeds at 10.00 in the morning,, we stayed round the pool for one day only as it was way to hot for me,, walked down the hill for about 25 minutes you come to Maxs Beach,,when you come onto the beach turn right and head for the coca cola sign, ive forgot the name sorry,,this place is fantastic we were down there at 11.00 every day, the staff are great, you will be greeted by liliom from sinagarde?? i just called him henry it was easier, looked after us every day,, the sea breeze was brilliant,,,8 euros for 2 beds all day,,cheap food and drink,, we went there yesterday[friday] to say goodbye and the owner would take not a penny off us for a few drinks,,all in all a fantastic week away,,,,,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank DeanoFry
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have just returned from the resort and thought i'd say a few things about the place. Initially the welcome was good and the room was very clean and perfect for me, although it could have slept 3 more comfortably. The pool bar/restaurant is good as well, great service from the waiters but for me it was a tad expensive to eat there for dinner. Happy hour at the downstairs bar was good also, half price for an hour each night, ideal for a few before heading out.
I didn't use the spa but did hear good reports although the indoor pool is apparently a bit small.
I agree with the previous points, there are limited sunbeds and areas to lounge by the outdoor pool, you need to be up and out by 1030 to get a good bed, and there are some broken ones scattered about.
Location is fine if you have a car, otherwise its a good work out for your legs each day!!

Overall a good value week, loads of sun, loads of good company from fellow guests and loads of cheap drinks during happy hour!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank RobU506
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed here for a week from 31 Aug-7th Sept on a Groupon deal with Petchey Leisure - 7 nights for €129 for a 1 bed apt which sleeps up to 4 people.
My husband & I had our 3 yr old son with us and this apartment was perfect for us all. As said before, the top floor apartments get the best of the sun and we were lucky as we had one. It was easy to see that the ground floor ones were quite dark. We had a separate kitchen with a utility room off it which had a washing machine if needed. The sitting room was large with the most comfortable sofa bed I have ever slept on. The bedroom had a double bed which was nice when you normally get 2 single beds in apts. The apartment itself was spotless and lovely and bright. The only little problem we had was the button to open the door of the microwave kept jamming but it would release with a bit of pressure - hardly a holiday ruining situation!!
I would agree there is a shorage of sun loungers but I never saw queues at the gate at 10am - maybe not as many people in the first week in Sept. I know some people are saying the pool area was dirty but I saw the pool been cleaned and the life guard went around regularly with a net fishing out leaves & other debris during the day.
The food at the pool bar for lunch was ok - nothing wrong with it but nothing special but what do you expect from a pool bar? We availed of the Themed Night on the THurs we were there and had 3 courses for €15 each - chicken ceaser salad, steak or paella & a choice of 2 desserts. All very nice!
There seemed to be different entertainment on each night but we didnt see it as we were out most nights. The only one we saw was on Thursday - gouchos & tango dancing - nice to watch while eating and kept our son entertained. There was also a bird of prey show on before it.
I cannot understand people complaining about things like location - do these people not check this out before they book??? We had hired a car because I had read reviews on Trip Advisor that said we would need it due to the location. I really feel some people only write reviews to be negative. Also the hill is actually walkable - it would take probably 15-20 mins down but the hike back up in the heat would be a bit hard going but thats just me and Im not a walker anyway!
Would I return to Grangefield Oasis if I got another deal - yes I certainly would. Would I pay full price - probably not but thats just because Im sure there are places equally as good a bit more accessible to the beach, shops etc.
One thing I must mention that others have also said is try to get an apt. away from the reception if you dont want the noise of the entertainment. We were just above the stage (F8)which we thought would be a problem but the entertainment stopped at 10.30 every night so no problem there. maybe its a bit later in peak times.

Room Tip: Top floor apts are sunnier Apts away from reception are quieter Hire a car if you dont like walkin...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Eileen-Mark
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I'm surprised that the last few reviews have not been so good as we stayed here from the 1st - 8th of September and had a brilliant time.

Our two bedroom, top floor apartment was lovely - especially as we only pain £89 for the entire week (booked with a voucher from Wowcher.com, the deal was '7 night Marbella break for up to 4 people in a 1 bedroom self-catering apartment, from Petchey Leisure, worth £412' but my partner and I went by ourselves - and were still upgraded to a two bedroom apartment!) We had apartment A5.

There were only a few downsides to this place...
- the location. As mentioned in other reviews, you will probably need a car as it's quite a long way away from restaurants, shops, the beach etc. and it's also a very hilly road.
- the air conditioning in our bedroom kept dripping. It left a pretty big pool of water on the dressing table and some of my make up. When we asked about this the lady at reception told us that we had it on too cold (18'C) and that the lowest we should put it on is 23'C - although there was nothing to say this in the apartment and the air conditioning in the living room didn't drip at all even though we had it on the lowest temperature (16'C) - but after turning it up to 25'C, it was still dripping. By that time, we only had one night left of the holiday and decided to just put up with it that night.
- there were loads of stairs, so this place is probably not at all suitable for disabled or people with limited mobility.
- The TV didn't show very many British channels, which we missed when we were waiting for each other to get ready to go out for tea or whilst having some crisps and a beer before bed. Obviously we didn't go all the way to Spain just to watch TV though!

There were many plus sides and I'm sure that my photos show at least some of these. We ate at the restaurant one night and thought it was a little expensive, especially the bbq options, but the food was very nice and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Also, the security gent who checked us in in the middle of the night was very friendly and helpful (if anybody from the hotel reads this - we checked in about 1.30am on Sunday 2nd September), making us feel welcome immediately.

It was a total bargain holiday and I'd definitely come again. You can hardly get one night in a hotel in Britain for £89, never mind a full week!

Room Tip: Room A5 was lovely - modern and spacious with morning to mid afternoon sun on the balcony, but a bit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank glassrainbows
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We went here the last week of August as we couldn't get into our timeshare further along the coast. The gardens were immaculate but that's where it ends. The apartments seriously need updating. I don't think they have been decorated since the 90's. Very shabby, handles had come off the cupboards and the bedding was ripped. We couldn't use the pool as there were queues from 10 am and there wasn't enough room anyway. We also had to pay 25 euros for water and electricity and 17 euros for the use of the room safe. We have never had to pay for elec and water before and thought this was scandalous especially as we didn't use any of the facilities. I wouldn't stay here again if it was paid for. We shall be writing a letter of complaint to RCI.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Angel G
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We return to this resort on average a couple of times a year in the "off" season. We have stayed in many different apartments but now always pay the upgrade to 2 bedroom as there is really no comparison between one and two bed.
We spent a great weekend there in January when I managed to soak up a lot of sun and also in early May , when we took the whole family for a week. We had a two bed and a 3 bed apartment across the landing from each other. We even had a jacuzzii on the balcony!.

The living areas of both apartments were identical in size and easily accomodated 8 of us including a baby and a toddler at meal times. The apartment was cleaned regularly and we seemed to go through mountains of clean towels.
We ate breakfast a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it, as we did the evening meal we had one night.
However, the local supermarket (about 15 minutes walk over some scrub land) was excellent and with our superbly equipped kitchens, cooking was no effort, and dishwasher did the washing up.
The poosl are freezing at that time of year, but it didn't seem to stop the 2 year old! Weather was superb and as resort not full we had no problems with sunbeds---just under our balcony so if kids were napping the adult babysitting was not too isolated.

A car is necessary. We find the cost of a weeks car hire is about the same as a return taxi to the airport. We usually hire an economy size car and hope for an upgrade!!
We love to drive out into the hills and have coffee in small village cafes.

This is not an all singing, all dancing resort. It is some way from the beach but with a car that is no problem. WE have never had to pay for parking on the coast (only Marbella).
There are lots of stairs, and it is a steep hill down to the beach--but it is perfectly walkable, We have done it!
We shall return again in October as a couple and use it as a base to relax and explore the local area.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor if you can manage stairs and like the sun---balconies are uncovered and therefore...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family